PDA

View Full Version : Most subtle joke on Arrested Development

Baby Lee
03-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Anyone catch what 'Barry Zuckerkorn' did as he left for Burger King from the dock? And the import of it?

Took me 'til this morning to get it, and I'm still chuckling.

htismaqe
03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I must have missed that. He said he was going to Burger King and hopped over the shark...

Archie Bunker
03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
It must have flew right over my head.

Rain Man
03-14-2005, 10:01 AM
I must have missed that. He said he was going to Burger King and hopped over the shark...

I love that show, but I haven't been able to see it for the past few weeks.

Is rufusmaqe's allusion about 'jumping the shark' what you're talking about?

Baby Lee
03-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Who was he in the 70s, and what's a synonym for 'hopped over?'

Baby Lee
03-14-2005, 10:03 AM
I love that show, but I haven't been able to see it for the past few weeks.

Is rufusmaqe's allusion about 'jumping the shark' what you're talking about?
Yeah, Barry is played by Fonzie, the character who is the origin for 'jumping the shark.' And he ever so blithely 'jumped the shark.'

Stinger
03-14-2005, 10:04 AM

Not seeing the show but my guess would be this

http://jumptheshark.com/ :shrug:

Bob Dole
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Fonzie and Arnold's/Al's and Richie Cunningham narrating and...

Still not sinking in.

NewChief
03-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Fonzie and Arnold's/Al's and Richie Cunningham narrating and...

Still not sinking in.

The "jump the shark" moment is the moment when Happy Days was said to be officially on the decline. It's since become a sort of pop culture parlance for the moment when a show begins to decline (That 70s Show also referenced it in an episode). I didn't see Arrested Development, but I gather that Henry Winkler's character referenced Burger King then literally jumped a shark statue, thereby making an allusion to the Happy Days episode while also running a self-critique of AD "selling out" by plugging Burger King. Or at least that's my uniformed take.

BTW, Baby Lee: you should get a job as an entertainment critic. You could be the neo Michael Medved.

Baby Lee
03-14-2005, 10:25 AM
The "jump the shark" moment is the moment when Happy Days was said to be officially on the decline. It's since become a sort of pop culture parlance for the moment when a show begins to decline (That 70s Show also referenced it in an episode). I didn't see Arrested Development, but I gather that Henry Winkler's character referenced Burger King then literally jumped a shark statue, thereby making an allusion to the Happy Days episode while also running a self-critique of AD "selling out" by plugging Burger King. Or at least that's my uniformed take.

BTW, Baby Lee: you should get a job as an entertainment critic. You could be the neo Michael Medved.
Correct, except it was an actual shark they'd captured because it had eaten the 'loose seal's' ROFL flipper, taking with it a tracking device it had, and provided Buster with a bittersweet realization that he 'loose seal' who had taken his hand was now missing it's 'hand' as well.

ZootedGranny
03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I got that joke immediately, but an even more sly joke was planted before Buster lost his hand:

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/1609/picture13ul.jpg

Rausch
03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Barry is played by Fonzie, the character who is the origin for 'jumping the shark.' And he ever so blithely 'jumped the shark.'

I found this on the link...

"Henry Winkler takes another leap over the shark.* Ron Howard narrates.* All we needed was Potsie and Mr. C.!" - Bradley on Arrested Development

Taco John
03-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I got that joke immediately, but an even more sly joke was planted before Buster lost his hand:

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/1609/picture13ul.jpg

Damn. These guys are good.

Brock
03-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Jumping the shark has jumped the shark.

Megbert
03-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah I love this show, so much subtle humor and jokes that take weeks to pay off. Too bad Fox has basically pulled the plug on it. Even after TVLand awarded it "future classic" on their awards show.