PDA

View Full Version : Sweet. W plays the Race card.

NewChief
03-14-2005, 10:14 AM
From a recent speech in KY:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/03/20050310-5.html

And so there are guidelines as to what you can invest in. I was being somewhat facetious on the lottery -- but really not. There's a proper risk reward, a portfolio that will allow you as a younger worker to pick a mix of stocks and bonds. Oh, I know they say certain people aren't capable of investing, you know, the investor class. It kind of sounds like to me, you know, a certain race of people living in a certain area. I believe everybody's got the capability of being in the investor class.

Soupnazi
03-14-2005, 10:21 AM
What? I'm failing to see how that's playing the race card. Better yet, I don't know what the hell that is supposed to mean, except that he's saying some stereotypes aren't true.

mlyonsd
03-14-2005, 10:24 AM
What? I'm failing to see how that's playing the race card. Better yet, I don't know what the hell that is supposed to mean, except that he's saying some stereotypes aren't true.

That's what I read into it but if you hate the President enough it's easy to make stuff up.

NewChief
03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Umm. He's implying that people who are against privatizing social security are racist. It's a trick straight from the DNC handbook. The cons certainly recognize it when the Dems do it, they just can't see it when their own side does it.

Cochise
03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Uhh... I think he's accusing someone else of playing it, not playing it himself. :spock:

HC_Chief
It's the truth: leftists said democracy can't work in the ME because ME people just aren't ready for it(read: stupid sand-n*ggers are too backwards for it).

Same "logic" applies here: leftists say privatization can't work because certain segments of the population are too stupid to know how to properly manage their retirement(ie white-trash hillbillies, midwesterners, and "urban citizens" = drolling f*cktards who the gov't must always protect - by running their lives for them).

Soupnazi
Umm. He's implying that people who are against privatizing social security are racist. It's a trick straight from the DNC handbook. The cons certainly recognize it when the Dems do it, they just can't see it when their own side does it.

I didn't read it that way at all. I read it as the stereotype of certain races only living in certain parts of the country is not necessarily true, just as the stereotype of certain people aren't sophisticated enough to be part of the investor class isn't true.

Hate away though, by all means.

Brock
03-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Maybe he's talking about hotel workers.

Cochise
03-14-2005, 10:42 AM
leftists say privatization can't work because certain segments of the population are too stupid to know how to properly manage their retirement

Ah, the lazy "let's leave it up to the experts" attitude. 50 million dead Stalinist Russians can't be wrong.

HC_Chief
03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Ah, the lazy "let's leave it up to the experts" attitude. 50 million dead Stalinist Russians can't be wrong.

heh, the other day I actually had a leftist tell me that communism should not be compared to fascism, in terms of mass-slaughter, because the communists never murdered millions of people.

lol

Soupnazi
03-14-2005, 10:48 AM
heh, the other day I actually had a leftist tell me that communism should not be compared to fascism, in terms of mass-slaughter, because the communists never murdered millions of people.

lol

Wow. Just wow.

HC_Chief
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Exactly. The good that came of it was I then knew that individual to be a complete moron; with whom I would no longer waste time or energy. :D

Calcountry
03-14-2005, 10:53 AM
He is demonstrating that it is an elitist attitude to let us plebes invest our own money.

Loki
03-14-2005, 10:56 AM

lol

you're joking right?

1. how old was this person?
2. what drugs is this person on?

HC_Chief
03-14-2005, 11:00 AM
you're joking right?

2. what drugs is this person on?

1. Mid 20s
2. Stupid-pills? :D

Loki
03-14-2005, 11:04 AM
1. Mid 20s
2. Stupid-pills? :D

1. the younger generation frightenes me. what do they teach them in
schools?

2. maximum-strength.

homey
03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
1. the younger generation frightenes me. what do they teach them in
schools?

According to recent polls, that the first admendment means nothing and if you question something you're unpatriotic.

Soupnazi
03-14-2005, 12:08 PM
According to recent polls, that the first admendment means nothing and if you question something you're unpatriotic.

Actually, I think the correct response is: how to apply a condom to a cucumber is more important than mathematics.

SBK
03-14-2005, 12:12 PM

And so there are guidelines as to what you can invest in. I was being somewhat facetious on the lottery -- but really not. There's a proper risk reward, a portfolio that will allow you as a younger worker to pick a mix of stocks and bonds. Oh, I know they say certain people aren't capable of investing, you know, the investor class. It kind of sounds like to me, you know, a certain race of people living in a certain area. I believe everybody's got the capability of being in the investor class.

That doesn't look like a race card statement to me.......................:rolleyes:

SBK
03-14-2005, 12:13 PM

Did you know that I-Hop uses cold water to make their pancakes, that's why they are so fluffy?

NewChief
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
That doesn't look like a race card statement to me.......................:rolleyes:

Holy cow. Do you people not realize what playing the race card is? You accuse the Dems of it all the time. Playing the race card means that you accuse the opposition of being racist. It's doesn't mean that you're being a racist.

craneref
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
IMHO, this is the President saying he doesn't buy the race card that others are trying to play. He is saying, that he hears that some people because of where they live or ethnicity would not be able to be in the investor class, but President Bush believes int he abilities of ALL Americans. To spin this as the Race Card is a SERIOUS spin indeed. Do yourself a favor and read the ENTIRE passage and not cut at the few words that you think prove your point. There ain't nothing to see here, so just move along folks.

patteeu
03-14-2005, 01:07 PM

I agree with you.

patteeu
03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
IMHO, this is the President saying he doesn't buy the race card that others are trying to play. He is saying, that he hears that some people because of where they live or ethnicity would not be able to be in the investor class, but President Bush believes int he abilities of ALL Americans. To spin this as the Race Card is a SERIOUS spin indeed. Do yourself a favor and read the ENTIRE passage and not cut at the few words that you think prove your point. There ain't nothing to see here, so just move along folks.

I think it's fair to say that some of the criticisms of the Bush private accounts proposal are patronizing (in either a classist or racist way), but I agree with New Chief that "playing the race card" is a phrase that means you are accusing someone of being racist. He's doing it in a fairly soft way (as opposed to explicitly calling his opponents racist), but I think he's still doing it. The dems are far more guilty of this kind of thing than the repubs, but that doesn't mean that this isn't essentially the same game.

FWIW, I think the criticisms that Bush is alluding to are, in reality, more classist than racist.

I do agree with you that there isn't much to see here though. The only reason it was worth mentioning at all is because it is a man bites dog event. Instead of the typical case where the democrats are accusing a repub of racism, this is a case where a repub is turning a weapon of democrat demagoguery back in their direction.

Calcountry
03-14-2005, 05:00 PM
you're joking right?

2. what drugs is this person on?He obviously thinks that Joseph Stalin was a saint and never killed anyone.

:shake:

Donger
03-14-2005, 05:08 PM

FWIW, I think this was a stupid thing for a POTUS to say. I've no idea as to the makeup of the audience he was speaking to but regardless, it is playing the race card for political gain.

Bush should not need to sink to that level.

jcl-kcfan2
03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
He is not playing the race card.

I was going to explain it, but it wouldn't sink in anyway.

DanT
03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure exactly what President Bush meant, but I do not think it is fair to say he is "playing the race card". I would put the same construction on his statements as soupnazi as, it sounds like he's criticizing those who make the argument that the "investor class" is an exclusionary concept. President Bush is saying that the very phrase "investor class" connotes exclusionary notions that he personally does not accept as valid.

On a different subject, earlier in the speach, President Bush offered the following gem:

We're living in amazing times. I have this firm belief that deep in everybody's soul is the desire to live in freedom. You know where I learned that? I learned that right here in America. That's what we believe. We also understand freedom is not America's gift to anywhere, freedom is divined from the Almighty. In every soul is the desire to be free. (Applause.) And you're seeing a world in which people are demanding to be free.

Donger
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
He is not playing the race card.

I was going to explain it, but it wouldn't sink in anyway.

I suppose a definition of "playing the race card" is in order here.

For me, "playing the race card" is defined as inserting race into a political argument with the intent of political gain from such insertion.

That was clearly the intent of Bush's remarks here.

Therefore, he played the race card, IMO.

craneref
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I think it's fair to say that some of the criticisms of the Bush private accounts proposal are patronizing (in either a classist or racist way), but I agree with New Chief that "playing the race card" is a phrase that means you are accusing someone of being racist. He's doing it in a fairly soft way (as opposed to explicitly calling his opponents racist), but I think he's still doing it. The dems are far more guilty of this kind of thing than the repubs, but that doesn't mean that this isn't essentially the same game.

FWIW, I think the criticisms that Bush is alluding to are, in reality, more classist than racist.

I do agree with you that there isn't much to see here though. The only reason it was worth mentioning at all is because it is a man bites dog event. Instead of the typical case where the democrats are accusing a repub of racism, this is a case where a repub is turning a weapon of democrat demagoguery back in their direction.

So if a Dem tells people that the private accoutns will not work because some people because of either economics (class) or color will not be intelligent or saavy enough to comprehend the principle, the President has no right for a direct rebuttal. That is a liberal ploy that works way to often, throw out a balloon that stinks of race or class baiting, and then scream when Conservatives try to rebutt the statement. When the liberal base distorts issues, or basically says some Americans are too stupid to care for themselves, they need to be corrected, and that is what President Bush was doing. I believe he was standing up for ALL Americans, regardless of their race or social class, and I can not believe that standing up for America is considered playing the race card.

Rausch
03-14-2005, 06:45 PM
I suppose a definition of "playing the race card" is in order here.

For me, "playing the race card" is defined as inserting race into a political argument with the intent of political gain from such insertion.

That was clearly the intent of Bush's remarks here.

Therefore, he played the race card, IMO.

I think he's pointing out the obvious.

Is he talking about race?

Sure.

But to me, pulling the race card is bringing up race when it isn't relevant in the least.

Donger
03-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I think he's pointing out the obvious.

Is he talking about race?

Sure.

But to me, pulling the race card is bringing up race when it isn't relevant in the least.

Which is why I mentioned earlier that I didn't know the audience to whom he was speaking.

NewChief
03-15-2005, 06:13 AM
I can not believe that standing up for America is considered playing the race card.

Umm, dude. Your partisan blinders really aren't helping out the objectivity. Do you not think that Dems see it as "standing up for [all of] American" when they constantly play the race card? I know that you likely see it as EVIL DNC TACTICS, but the Dems feel that they're standing up for all of America with their racial politics. I know it's much easier to think that Dems are cynical and are just manipulating people, but many liberals actually believe that racism is still alive and that minorities don't get a fair deal in America. Thus they "play the race card" because they're sincere (if possibly misguided) in their desire to help minorities.

This thread has been entertaining. I actually don't think what Bush did is a big deal. I just thought it was funny and ironic to see a Repub use a Dem tactic. I also wanted to see if those same people who get so incensed about the DNC's use of race would be equally incensed about Bush's.

beavis
03-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm confused as to what this has to do with anything. Is this really what the left has been reduced to attacking Bush on? What a pathetic bunch.

craneref
03-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Umm, dude. Your partisan blinders really aren't helping out the objectivity. Do you not think that Dems see it as "standing up for [all of] American" when they constantly play the race card? I know that you likely see it as EVIL DNC TACTICS, but the Dems feel that they're standing up for all of America with their racial politics. I know it's much easier to think that Dems are cynical and are just manipulating people, but many liberals actually believe that racism is still alive and that minorities don't get a fair deal in America. Thus they "play the race card" because they're sincere (if possibly misguided) in their desire to help minorities.

This thread has been entertaining. I actually don't think what Bush did is a big deal. I just thought it was funny and ironic to see a Repub use a Dem tactic. I also wanted to see if those same people who get so incensed about the DNC's use of race would be equally incensed about Bush's.

Yeah, and saying things like churches would burn in the South if Bush was elected is just standing up for Americans. You are right, racism is alive and well in America, but tends to be opposite of what is pushed as mid 60's in the deep south. Affirmative Action by definition is one of the most racist instutions around, How about Farakhan or Sharpton, how about Dean saying the only way Republicans can get alot of African Americans together would be to bring in the hotel staff, because we all know if you want to find a large group of African Americans you have to look at the hired help right. I never denied that I am a conservative Christian Republican, but to say that I have blinders on is coming mighty close to being shrill. I still find it amusing that Republicans are not allowed to respond to any rascist comment, or they are playing the race card. What the President said was in DIRECT response to what was being said about certain Americans by the Liberal Left who are trying to block the President for political purposes only. I do not deny that I have heard both parties use the race card, but to compare the percentage of use would be like comparing the CHIEFS offensive line blocking techniques to that of the Donkeys, both don't always play by the rules, but the Donkeys are WAY over the top. Maybe you just need to quit drinking the hatorade before commenting on the President.