PDA

View Full Version : Roids.....Amazing The Difference

NaptownChief
03-14-2005, 03:26 PM
With the Baseball roids topic being all the rage and the media's current favorite story it got me to thinking of how poorly baseball has handled this. You would think by the headlines and dramatization by the likes of ESPN that baseball is the first and only sport to be accused of steroid use. Think of how much better the NFL has handled it from a media perception stand point. There has probably been far more roid and illegal substance use in the NFL over the years and several players still getting suspended each year due to the fact but it is a complete non-issue in the media...You don't hear about the "tainted records" or damaged to the "integrity of the sport" yada, yada, yada....Just a short news blurb that so and so has been suspended for 4 games "for violation of the leagues substance abuse policy"....The first couple times nobody even gets a report.

There was just as many football players linked to Balco as baseball players yet you wouldn't think so based on the press. Pretty interesting when you stop and pause for a moment. Probably a lot of credit deserved by the NFL league office and a lot of blame deserved by the MLB league office.

milkman
03-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm assuming you don't find this surprising.

Is there anything that the NFL doesn't handle better than MLB?

NaptownChief
03-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm assuming you don't find this surprising.

Is there anything that the NFL doesn't handle better than MLB?

I'm sure if we dig long and hard we find something like MLB serves a better brand of ketchup at the staduims or something like that but short of that I would say you are correct...and with Sam Droopy Selig running the show I am not surprised.

milkman
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
"Sam Droopy Selig" ROFL

unlurking
03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
I think a big difference is the NFLs active testing and prohibition policy.

tk13
03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
They just talked about this on '1st & 10' on ESPN. Woody Paige said from the players and people he's talked to, that the players just know how to mask things and beat the tests in the NFL. I posted an article a while back that was written before any of this BALCO and steroid stuff came out, and it talked about how the entire Denver Broncos championship teams worked together with BALCO labs to help improve team performance. You don't hear anybody talking about that stuff though, just baseball.

Kyle401
03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
If Priest Holmes or Peyton Manning had been linked to Balco, their records would have been questioned also. The big difference is that Barry Bonds has been linked to Balco on the heels of breaking the most prestigious record in baseball.

NaptownChief
03-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I think a big difference is the NFLs active testing and prohibition policy.

Certainly a big difference and probably the number one reason why the media perception has been so different but the reality is the "outrage" of hearing about a player using an illegal enhancer shouldn't be any different....But 3/4ths of the media has to be told what they think is important. ;D

tk13
03-14-2005, 03:46 PM
If Priest Holmes or Peyton Manning had been linked to Balco, their records would have been questioned also. The big difference is that Barry Bonds has been linked to Balco on the heels of breaking the most prestigious record in baseball.
John Elway was linked to BALCO labs, I'll go look it up, but he used to advertise for them I do believe. You don't ever hear anybody talk about that though....

NaptownChief
03-14-2005, 03:49 PM

You are out of your mind...The great Johnnie Morton has been linked to them yet nobody has called into question his 3 TD's from last year... :D

Mr. Laz
03-14-2005, 04:02 PM
That f_cknut Bonds keeps trying to say that Steriods doesn't make a difference and won't help you hit a baseball anyway... :rolleyes:

it might not increase your hand/eye coordination, but it's like playing with the energy and recuperative powers of a 21 yr old.

now how much easy is it to play with that ...

not to mention the extra power you get from having muscles that are a little stronger that turns that high fly out into a high fly homerun.

the probably with baseball is the players association

tk13
03-14-2005, 04:02 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107968

There's the thread I made about the Broncos and BALCO a while back...

Bob Dole
03-14-2005, 04:05 PM
What's MLB?

milkman
03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Major League Baseball

JimNasium
03-14-2005, 04:20 PM
It's no accident that the NFL is in a better financial state than any of the other pro leagues. Working with the players union to bring about a sensible salary cap and substance abuse policy are just the tip of the iceberg. You also have the whole issue of revenue sharing that has made the league a more competitive environment. Unfortunately I'm beginning to sense that this wisdom is fading with the new breed of greedy owners coming on board. If you have a winning formula don't change it. It would seem than Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones don't abide by this philosophy. I think it could come back to haunt the entire league if they don't reign the mavericks in.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Because people like to find new and exciting ways to say "I don't like baseball!"

Deberg_1990
03-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Baseball is all about statistics and records. For whatever reason, records and the chase to break them are far and away more "hallowed" in baseball than any other sport. Thats why its such a big deal. Would taking roids have helped Priest run for 10 more TD's? Probably not. Would being juiced have helped Manning throw for 10 more TD's ? Probably not...would being roided up have helped Bonds hit 10 more homeruns. Definately yes.

NaptownChief
03-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Would taking roids have helped Priest run for 10 more TD's? Probably not. Would being juiced have helped Manning throw for 10 more TD's ? Probably not....

It can make you bigger, faster and stronger so I don't see why it couldn't....Ben Johnson didn't blister the world record in the 100 because roids made him slower.

Phobia
03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
You are out of your mind...The great Johnnie Morton has been linked to them yet nobody has called into question his 3 TD's from last year... :D

I'll bet he couldn't do the worm half that good if it weren't for his daily cocktail....

KCChiefsMan
03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
What's MLB?

this whole time I though it was Middle Line Backers... :banghead:

Mr. Laz
03-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Would taking roids have helped Priest run for 10 more TD's? Probably not. Would being juiced have helped Manning throw for 10 more TD's ? Probably not...would being roided up have helped Bonds hit 10 more homeruns. Definately yes.

it would or prolly helped Priest stay healthy for a full season though

Deberg_1990
03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
it would or prolly helped Priest stay healthy for a full season though

Uh oh...didnt we have this discussion already? I thought there was another thread going around the other day debating whether or not Roids made your ligaments weaker thereby making your body even more suceptable to injury??

Dartgod
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
'Roids?

http://www.wholesaleramp.com/WholesaleRAMP/images/0,9oz_AntiItchCream_0573283010.jpg

Simplex3
03-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Would taking roids have helped Priest run for 10 more TD's? Probably not. Would being juiced have helped Manning throw for 10 more TD's ? Probably not...would being roided up have helped Bonds hit 10 more homeruns. Definately yes.
Until you've taken steroids or another testosterone supplement you probably underestimate the overall boost you get. You can work out twice as hard and recover in half the time. Damn straight it would help a running back gain more yards and/or td's than he was otherwise capable of getting. A QB? If he could get the ball there a quarter second faster it would make a huge difference, the NFL is a game of inches.

cdcox
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
'Roids?

http://www.wholesaleramp.com/WholesaleRAMP/images/0,9oz_AntiItchCream_0573283010.jpg

Do not, I repeat do not, type in "hemroids" on Google images with the SafeSearch turned off.

Coach
03-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Sam Droopy Selig

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/Hular.jpg

KCJake
03-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Agreed, good post :clap:

KingPriest2
03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
They just talked about this on '1st & 10' on ESPN. Woody Paige said from the players and people he's talked to, that the players just know how to mask things and beat the tests in the NFL. I posted an article a while back that was written before any of this BALCO and steroid stuff came out, and it talked about how the entire Denver Broncos championship teams worked together with BALCO labs to help improve team performance. You don't hear anybody talking about that stuff though, just baseball.

cool