PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest wrong number you've ever had...

tk13
03-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I was just trying to call a friend and ended up dialing a wrong number... I guess. Some older sounding lady answered the phone and caught me completely off guard. I said "Wrong number, sorry" and apparently I'd called her before, because she immediately gave me the third degree and told me I'd called her before and she demanded to know who I was. I obviously didn't tell her that but I was just like "wrong number! Sorry!" and eventually just hung up. Very bizarre. I feel like a dumbass. But anyway, what's the weirdest wrong number you've ever dialed, or has ever dialed you?

Cochise
03-15-2005, 09:16 PM
I hate when you're the receiver, and the dialer just says "hey, what's up" or something. So you small talk, not wanting to give up that you don't know who it is in case it's someone you know for fear of offending them. Only when they say something off the wall do you know for sure it's a wrong number.

Hoover
03-15-2005, 09:17 PM

Skip Towne
03-15-2005, 09:28 PM
I like the one's who demand "Who is this"? I say, John Gotti, who is this?

Phobia
03-15-2005, 09:36 PM
OMG - I have tons of these stories. I'll share only a couple.

If I know who's calling, sometimes I'll mess with them.... People rarely fall for it. When my mother-in-law called a few months ago, I answered the phone "Thanks for calling Pizza Hut, would you like to hear our specials?".... FOUR times she hung up and called back before I burst into laughter. I'm pretty sure there are specific instructions for my exclusion from her will now.

Second story is longer, bear with me. My parents had recently visited their old pastor in Iowa and for some reason left my cell number with them - on a scrap of paper. The guy got the scrap of paper with my number confused with another scrap one afternoon....

He called, identified himself, and asked if I had remembered to adjust my schedule for August. Well, I played like I didn't know what he was talking about - cuz, uh - I didn't. He was asking if I was looking forward to coming to Iowa for a giant gathering they had been planning for months.... I, uh, was supposed to preach. He was getting pretty flustered and pissed that I had forgotten about it, so I assured him that I could easily adjust my schedule and that I'd definitely be there to preach. Then I asked him if he knew to whom he was speaking..... Heh heh. As I identified myself, he knew I was the LAST person he wanted to invite to preach.... But, I played him just the same. The conversation was much longer than the condensed version I've just written for you, but you get the jist.... :D

ENDelt260
03-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I hate when you're the receiver, and the dialer just says "hey, what's up" or something. So you small talk, not wanting to give up that you don't know who it is in case it's someone you know for fear of offending them.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a drunk. I'm not shy about saying "Who the hell is this?"

Course, I'm not in the habit of answering phone calls from numbers not in my phone book. But, I do ask people who they are when I meet them in person and they claim to know me.

ENDelt260
03-15-2005, 09:39 PM
If I know who's calling, sometimes I'll mess with them.... People rarely fall for it.

You tryin' to call me stupid?

Phobia
03-15-2005, 09:40 PM
You tryin' to call me stupid?

Probably. What did I say to you?

chief52
03-15-2005, 09:41 PM
My greatest wrong number line comes from a movie, although I do not remember what movie or who, although I am thinking it was Pacino.

"Cathy there? " the incorect caller says to Pacino or whoever.

"Cathy? Sure she is here, but she has my **** in her mouth right now and can not speak...

He then hangs up the phone. I thought it was great. Can you imagine being on the other end of that call!

Wish I could remember what movie and the specifics. This was the gist of the call anyway.

ENDelt260
03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Probably. What did I say to you?
You delivered some manner of pizza greeting (Thank you for calling Domino's, would you like to hear our specials? or some such nonsense). I'd never heard your voice before, or called you, so the probability of a misdial seemed pretty high to me. I stated that I must've dialed the wrong number, and your response was something to the effect of, "Well, that would make you an idiot, sir."

To my credit, at that point I realized you weren't really Domino's.

Simplex3
03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I picked up the phone in my first apartment (a real hell hole) and I get a message that this is a phone call from some prison. I stayed on the line thinking one of my buddies needed bail. The second I said "Hello?" the guy on the other end started cursing me out and screaming about how I was f**king his "bitch" in a very hispanic accent. He started asking me where <insert female hispanic name here> was and I kept saying "wrong number". When he went into the "I'm gonna kill you" the guards cut off the call and told me the wouldn't let him call my number again.

That was fun.

A friend of mine lived off the plaza and his phone number was 753-1563. The Dickinson movie line was 753-1463 (753-show). He'd get several calls a week from people asking for show times, so he started keeping a paper by the phone and giving them a start time 10 or 15 minutes too late.

Tribal Warfare
03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
When I was 12-14 years old I use to call the "Chiefs Hotline" with Gretz as the automated voice. one timeI miss dialed the number and got a phone sex operator

Ultra Peanut
03-15-2005, 11:10 PM
A friend of mine lived off the plaza and his phone number was 753-1563. The Dickinson movie line was 753-1463 (753-show). He'd get several calls a week from people asking for show times, so he started keeping a paper by the phone and giving them a start time 10 or 15 minutes too late.
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/videos/moviephone.mov

badgirl
03-15-2005, 11:15 PM
I called my sister once and the woman on the other end sounded kinda like her and I said "Hey whats up?" she said "Oh nothing", at this point it didn't really sound like her and I said "Is this Gail" and she said yes, it took a minute for me to get it straight, to her and me this isn't whom I am suppose to be calling.

Spott
03-15-2005, 11:15 PM
When I was 12-14 years old I use to call the "Chiefs Hotline" with Gretz as the automated voice. one timeI miss dialed the number and got a phone sex operator

That same thing happened to me once. I ended up talking on the phone for about 2 hours that night.

Rain Man
03-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I saw in the Weekly World News a while back that some guy in California dialed a wrong number and got Osama bin Laden's satellite phone. Apparently, Osama was really ticked off and was asking "How did you get this number?"

As for me, I have no interesting wrong number stories myself, other than the time the phone company screwed up, and whenever I called home I got some Spanish-speaking woman. It threw me for a bit.

I did get an answering machine message once from a sultry-sounding woman saying, "Kevin, I had a great time last Friday. When do you want to get together again?" My wife got the message and played it for me and we got a good laugh out of it, though I was bit worried when I said, "What were we doing last Friday night anyway?" My wife said, "I was out of town, and I'm not sure what you were doing." (By the way, my phone message mentioned my name.)

Last story: my dad has a rather annoying tendancy to not identify himself when he calls people, and just says something flip instead. Back when I was a teenager, I remember him calling up his restaurant, and when someone answered, he said something like, "What are you doing, stupid? Get to work!" It turned out that he dialed the number wrong, and I thought it was hilarious.

Ultra Peanut
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I saw in the Weekly World News a while back that some guy in California dialed a wrong number and got Osama bin Laden's satellite phone. Apparently, Osama was really ticked off and was asking "How did you get this number?"I hate it when that happens. I've done it twice this week.

He didn't have to be so rude about it, though. Geeze. Everyone makes mistakes.

Pants
03-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Heh, when I was little we used to call random people and tell them the current time in a monotonous voice. I was surprised at how many people said "Thank you." It was funny as hell at the time.

TheNextStep
03-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I get the "Who is this?" caller all the damned time. I always ask, "Who did you call?"

I've had a couple of them actually get pissed off at me because I wouldn't tell them who I was - including a couple of yahoos who were pissed that I wouldn't tell them who I was but were adamant about not telling me who they were.

F***in' wierdos.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Back in my teenage years I would dial random numbers (pre caller id mind you) and when someone would answer, in my best radio voice I'd say "Hi, who's this?" They would answer and I would ask what is your favorite radio station? Regardless of which station was their favorite, everyone always won a thousand dollars, which they could expect to receive within 15 business days. I wonder how many people racked up some crazy credit card bills over that? Crazy stuff teenagers do........tsk....tsk

DenverChief
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Back in my teenage years I would dial random numbers (pre caller id mind you) and when someone would answer, in my best radio voice I'd say "Hi, who's this?" They would answer and I would ask what is your favorite radio station? Regardless of which station was their favorite, everyone always won a thousand dollars, which they could expect to receive within 15 business days. I wonder how many people racked up some crazy credit card bills over that? Crazy stuff teenagers do........tsk....tskROFL thats effed up

Pants
03-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Back in my teenage years I would dial random numbers (pre caller id mind you) and when someone would answer, in my best radio voice I'd say "Hi, who's this?" They would answer and I would ask what is your favorite radio station? Regardless of which station was their favorite, everyone always won a thousand dollars, which they could expect to receive within 15 business days. I wonder how many people racked up some crazy credit card bills over that? Crazy stuff teenagers do........tsk....tsk

Holy shit, that's pretty f*cked up, ****ing with people like that and all. At least you didn't say something like 100K or a mil.

keg in kc
03-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Pertinent story:

DMV offers psychic link for callers

By Associated Press

When workers at the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles sent notices to about 25,000 motorists to renew their registration, they made a tiny mistake.

The telephone number printed on the postcards was one digit off and instead connected callers to "the nation's most informative psychic connection service, helping you with love, money, health and romantic encounters."

The Division of Motor Vehicles spent $1,500 sending out letters Friday after someone called about the typo, said Jane Zarada, director of the state Bureau of Vehicle Services.

keg in kc
03-16-2005, 12:27 AM
As for me, I've lived in this apartment for 17 or 18 months, and I have gotten messages from debt collectors for some random guy the entire time. You'd think that my name on the answering machine instead of his and the fact that nobody has ever answered or, to my knowledge, returned a call would clue them in. But I guess not. Although they may have backed off lately.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Holy shit, that's pretty f*cked up, ****ing with people like that and all. At least you didn't say something like 100K or a mil.

By the time I hit 15 I had moved on to more juvenile prank calls, and past the sick, twisted, diabolical sh*t that really f*c*ed with peoples lives. I was so talented as a teenager at changing my voice up I called my mom one day and told her I was Sam Perkins with the Seattle Supersonics (I am as vanilla looking and sounding as they come) and that her son (me) had won a trip to New York to watch the team play, and she bit like an mfer..........ahh fun times

mcan
03-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Twice I've had cell phone conversations with people I knew, but thought were somebody else... It goes like this:

-Hey Ashley...
-Hi, who's this?
-It's Matt... McCann...
-Oh! Wow, I haven't heard from you in awhile. Why are calling so late?
-Oh, sorry I didn't realize it was that late. Since when do you go to bed at 10:00?
-Uhh, it's almost 11:30 out here.
-Oh... Wait a second... Where are you?
-Home.
-Ummm...
-The time zone is different out here...
-Out where?
-I'm at my Mom's house.
-In Topeka?
-No, what are YOU talking about? Massachusets...
-OH MY GOD! ASHLEY! Wow, I meant to call my friend Ashley at KState. Jeez... So... Uhh, how are you...
-(laughing) I'm OK, I guess, just reading.
-Umm, yeah...

Then there was this one, where my friend Rebecca called me, obviously trying to call a different Matt.

-Hey Bec (her name pops up on my phone)...
-Hey Matt. How's it goin.'
-I'm alright, just playing poker online.
-Wow, I didn't know you did that.
-Yeah, I'm thinking of going pro someday.
-That's cool. Anyway, I just wanted to call and say that I was thinking about you.
-Umm, OK. That's cool. Are you alright?
-Yeah, it's just... Well, you seemed a little down yesterday.
-Really? What are you... At Wal Mart?..
-I guess, just like, the whole day...
-Really? Wow, umm. I'm OK... Thanks though, that's really cool that you would notice something like that.
-Yeah, well I just wanted to make sure that you were OK.
-Of course, really I don't know what you mean though..
-Wait, Matt?
-Yeah...
-Is this REALLY Matt?
-Yeah...
-Shutup, give the phone to Matt.
-Uh, this is me...
-OH MY GOD!!!
-What?
-I totally just dailed the wrong Matt!
-(laughing) Wow, OK... I was gonna say...
-"You totally seemed upset..." Geez, I'm such a dork. I'm sorry
-Don't be, that's really cool of you. I hope your other friend is doing OK.
-I'm sure he is. He was one of the guys with me when we saw you at Wal Mart... OH MY GOD.. How embarrasing...
-Don't sweat it.
-You totally didn't seem... I mean, like, you were fine... OH MY GOD!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2005, 01:09 AM
I play poker online, what site do you play at? I will say however I prefer playing live

el borracho
03-16-2005, 01:11 AM
-Hey Bec (her name pops up on my phone)...
-Hey Matt. How's it goin.'
-I'm alright, just playing poker online.
-Wow, I didn't know you did that.
-Yeah, I'm thinking of going pro someday.
-That's cool. Anyway, I just wanted to call and say that I was thinking about you.

This part sounds like some deleted scene from Napoleon Dynamite.

I especially like the part in bold. Bec obviously ready to get back to what she has to say and not at all interested in poker.

Ultra Peanut
03-16-2005, 01:21 AM
This part sounds like some deleted scene from Napoleon Dynamite. ROFL

mcan
03-16-2005, 01:22 AM
This part sounds like some deleted scene from Napoleon Dynamite.

I especially like the part in bold. Bec obviously ready to get back to what she has to say and not at all interested in poker.

Thanks. I've tried to recreate the conversations as exactly as I remember them. Obviously, I have gigantic muscles in both of these stories, which is hard to tell since they are just transcripts... :D

mcan
03-16-2005, 01:25 AM
I play poker online, what site do you play at? I will say however I prefer playing live

I play at Bugsy's Club, which is a real money site that shares it's software with two other sites. (PokerPages and PokerSchoolOnline) The Poker Pages website is all free money. I've got hundreds of thousands of play dollars... It got boring. So, I started playing for real money. Needless to say, it's a different game.

Turned $100.00 into about $270.00, but lost about $250.00 on one hand when I flopped trip aces, and a guy took it down with a queen high flush. Shouldn't have been playing in that game with all my bankroll, but I was getting cocky... One bad break, and you're outta there.

tk13
03-16-2005, 01:25 AM
I think that is called "The female art of conversation". I think it's genetic.

mcan
03-16-2005, 01:30 AM
I think that is called "The female art of conversation". I think it's genetic.

She's actually an awesome girl. Truth be told, I have a bunch of awesome friends, and am lucky to have them. I just thought it was really cool of her to feel obliged to call a friend whom she just thought MIGHT need somebody to talk to. She was really embarrased about it too. Now, every time I see her she remembers it and laughs out loud...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2005, 01:46 AM
I play at Bugsy's Club, which is a real money site that shares it's software with two other sites. (PokerPages and PokerSchoolOnline) The Poker Pages website is all free money. I've got hundreds of thousands of play dollars... It got boring. So, I started playing for real money. Needless to say, it's a different game.

Turned $100.00 into about $270.00, but lost about $250.00 on one hand when I flopped trip aces, and a guy took it down with a queen high flush. Shouldn't have been playing in that game with all my bankroll, but I was getting cocky... One bad break, and you're outta there.

Man do I know how that goes. The game changes in a big way once you make the leap from play money to real ducketts. As far as bad beats go, I play on a site called pokerroom.com and I swear everyone gets awesome pocket cards and there is a really bad beat every 5 minutes in every room i.e losing with a full house. I think the online sites set that shit up to increase the rakes, because when I play live it is a rarity to get a full house and almost unheard of to lose with it.

mcan
03-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Man do I know how that goes. The game changes in a big way once you make the leap from play money to real ducketts. As far as bad beats go, I play on a site called pokerroom.com and I swear everyone gets awesome pocket cards and there is a really bad beat every 5 minutes in every room i.e losing with a full house. I think the online sites set that shit up to increase the rakes, because when I play live it is a rarity to get a full house and almost unheard of to lose with it.

I haven't seen too much of the "bad beat" thing at this site. Certainly no more than I'd expect. I should have played those aces more aggressively when the third ace fell, and not given anybody a chance to draw out. By the time the turn came, all the other guys were itching to catch a card, and nobody could get away from the monster pot. I blame myself for playing in that game in the first place with my whole bankroll, when I could have easily stuck to the lower blinds and kept building...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2005, 01:52 AM
I can't disagree with you there, once the flop comes and you have trips or more preferably a set, my theory is you really have to price those chasers out of the game, cause luck is a biznatch.

Pants
03-16-2005, 02:04 AM
She's actually an awesome girl. Truth be told, I have a bunch of awesome friends, and am lucky to have them. I just thought it was really cool of her to feel obliged to call a friend whom she just thought MIGHT need somebody to talk to. She was really embarrased about it too. Now, every time I see her she remembers it and laughs out loud...

Whoa, to me it sounded (from your words) that she was looking for more than just a friendship from the other Matt. Just me though...

mcan
03-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Whoa, to me it sounded (from your words) that she was looking for more than just a friendship from the other Matt. Just me though...

Actually, the other Matt is about 250 lbs, and very sulky. She's really petite and beautiful, and has a boyfriend. She's just really that thoughtful and caring. Very cool girl.

Ari Chi3fs
03-16-2005, 02:57 AM
when I was 20, I worked as a salesgrunt for Jay Wolfe Chevrolet... and we had a phone system that we could dial a number, put them on hold, then dial another number, and connect the two.

Oh man.

Good times.

We called two different chinese restuarants, and chick answered one and a dude answered the other one... they started talking
"Thank you for calling Hunan Garder, How may I help you?"
"Wok Dis Wei Resturant, I take your order?"

"uh, hello?"

"hello? I take your order?"

"Uh, de phone rang here, you want order?"

"uh, de phone rang here... i pick up you answer."

"Oooooh...very strange."
"so, de phone rang you restaurant also?"
"yeah, phone ring, I pick up, you answer... you call me."
"No, I no call you... you call me, phone ring I pick up."

"Ooooh..."

"Yeah, dis Hunan Garden"
"Ah, dis Wok Dis Wei"

"Oh, very strange... whats your name? My name Li."

"My name Kim."

"Very nice to meet you, it must be fate."

"Ah, yes... could be destiny."

"You have boyfriend?"

"Ah, no... heehee."

"Since this phone call is fate, maybe we should meet."

"Oh, sound very good. hee hee."

---

We were laughing our ass off, so hard.

The possibilities were endless... we would prank people so much, I obviously didnt sell many cars... nor did I last long at that job. But damn, it was ****ing hilarious.

"Must be destiny..." heh.

ENDelt260
03-16-2005, 03:28 AM
I get the "Who is this?" caller all the damned time. I always ask, "Who did you call?"

Had that one time in college when I was drunk. My response was more along the lines of, "You called me, motherf*cker!"

Ended up driving to the dipshit's house to kick his ass... at some point realized how stupid the whole ordeal was and having beers with him.

Ebolapox
03-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I had a really f*cking weird wrong number a few weeks ago... so I pick up my cell, answer, and some chick from atlanta georgia asks if "you guys have in (fill in blank for some customized harley davidson motorcycle part) in stock right now"... I'm like, no, this is a cell phone in springfield missouri... she's like 'you're not (fill in name of the place) of atlanta's harley'?!?... and I'm like, no, lady, I'm not...

heh heh... it was funny as hell, though, and the lady was very polite about it... I *almost* bluffed and said "yes, we have the part, but we'd NEVER sell it to you!!!!.... NEVAR"

-EB-

chiefsfolife
03-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I was just trying to call a friend and ended up dialing a wrong number... I guess. Some older sounding lady answered the phone and caught me completely off guard. I said "Wrong number, sorry" and apparently I'd called her before, because she immediately gave me the third degree and told me I'd called her before and she demanded to know who I was. I obviously didn't tell her that but I was just like "wrong number! Sorry!" and eventually just hung up. Very bizarre. I feel like a dumbass. But anyway, what's the weirdest wrong number you've ever dialed, or has ever dialed you?

dammmmmmm...i would of scared that old lady till she just droped dead on the phone

redhed
03-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I was getting calls and voicemails from a collection agency on my cell for some biatch that didn't pay her bills. I'd actually talked to the people and told them this wasn't her phone, and that I didn't know her, and to stop calling. They would leave voicemails for her even though I say my name on the outgoing message.
Soooo, if you're out there Roxanne Murray, pay yo dam bills!!

Bwana
03-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Most of the wrong numbers have been on my cell. There was this old drunk that would call me about 6 times a day except Sundays asking for "Larry." Um, wrong number ace. His response every time "well then **** you!" I tried to ask him not to call, torture him, abused him, nothing seemed to work until one day, I went and got a city directory and got his name and address. The next time he called and asked for "Larry" I said hello Jerry, there was a pause, he said "Larry is that you?" No Jerry, this is the same fuggnen number you call six time a day and like I have told you before, there is no Larry here. "Well **** you!" he says again! Oh Jerry, "Yes," I know where you live Jerry, "Huh" Yeah, 1426 Appleview lane. "How the hell do you know where I live?" That not important Jerry, but if you continue to call this number, waste my time and burn my cell minutes, you are going to leave me no choice other than to come pay you a little visit and whip your ass. (Long pause) Jerry, you catching my drift here? "Oh, I'm sorry" he says. I have never heard from him again.

~Right Number, Wrong Response~

The worst was when I was talking to a buddy and he was going to call me "right back in one minute." This was pre caller ID. The phone rings and I figured it was him so I answered, "Dial a bone, there's bone as near as your phone, how can I help you?" Hello?? It turned out it was my Grandmother on the other end. That took a little explaining. :)

Ebolapox
03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
the first few months w/ cingular, I kept getting calls for some bitch from her grandma, bill collectors, basically EVERYONE she knew... and I have a very distinct seinfeldesque voicemail... which mentions my name in passing, and in MY F*CKING VOICE...

but I kept getting voicemails... so I had to change my voicemail for a month to something (I can't remember exactly how it went) like

THIS IS THE PHONE OF DOUG (LAST NAME HERE)... IF YOU ARE CALLING FOR DOUG (LAST NAME HERE), LEAVE YOUR MESSAGE AFTER THE TONE... IF YOU'RE NOT CALLING FOR DOUG (LAST NAME HERE), DON'T LEAVE A F*CKING MESSAGE. IF YOU DO LEAVE A MESSAGE, I'M LIABLE TO CALL YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND ASK YOU WHAT YOU'RE WEARING AND HARRASS YOU LIKE YOU ASSHATS HAVE BEEN DOING ME THE LAST TWO MONTHS... STOP F*CKING CALLING ME, YOU SICK TWATS, OR I SHALL TAUNT YOU A SECOND TIME

....if memory serves, mine was a bit more vulgar than that one...

-EB-

Braincase
03-16-2005, 11:12 AM
1993, living in Wichita, some dumb bitch called me up, thinking she was calling a friend. I made the mistake of being friendly about the wrong number, and then she goes off about her boyfriend who just choked to death trying to swallow a bag of dope when the cops pulled him over. She was telling me that the cops just llet him choke to death. I tried to be sympathetic, but part of me was going "Wow, what a dumb sumbitch".

Bob Dole
03-16-2005, 11:13 AM
When Bob Dole was flunking out of SMSU, the phone number at the apartment was something-ROCK. One of the local radio station's number was somethingelse-ROCK, so we got 5-10 calls a day from people who thought they were calling the station.

tyton75
03-16-2005, 11:30 AM
apparently.. my phone number is very close to that of the KC Star.. so I get a wrong number call about once a week... I've never taken advantage of the opprotunity though... but everyone is starting to give me ideas :)

KC Kings
03-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Our company tech support number was changed from 1-800-Cus-Supp to 1-800-AWG-Supp a couple of years back. Not all documentation was updated, and when a hardware upgrade of store order units came in, they had stickers made with the 1-800-Cus-Supp number, and put them on each of about 500 units before they were sent out to the stores for upgrades.

The old number was picked up by an adult over-the-phone enterainment service, and two years later we continue to get calls from people shocked and/or arroused by their initial call.

wilas101
03-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I had a strange wrong number incident at work a while back. The strangest part was I dialed the correct number. I had called Dell and was in the process of changing the configuration on a server that we had ordered. I had been bounced around by a couple people and the last told me he was connecting me to the corporate sales division (which was cool with me because it was our corporate rep that had started this process and I wanted to yell at him).

I wait patiently and a woman answers and rattled off something so quickly I couldn't make it out. While she was taking a breath I took the initiative and started telling her how sick and tired I was of being bounced around by them all because nobody can seem to handle changing one simple order.

She apologized and assured me that she could changed my order and asked for my order number. I gave it to her and she said it seemed to be taking a while. We wait a bit and then she tells me that its an invalid order number.

I'm getting really irritated at this point and I think she could tell so she asks for my name. I give her the company name and she tells me that she can't find anything for our company in their system. I explain to her that we've got like 30 plants around the country and every one of them are running Dell computers. She pauses and suggests I talk to their corporate accounts division.

"YOU ARE THE CORPORATE ACCOUNTS DIVISION!"

Then she tells me that she works for like the residential customers division.

I'm done at this point. I tell her to forget it and that I would add the stupid hard drives myself when I got the server. Then the conversation goes like so:

her: "Did you say hard drives?"

me: "Yeah, all I want to do is add some internal drives to the server we ordered yesterday."

her: "Why did you call us, sir?"

me: "Because I assumed it wouldn't be too big a deal to add a couple drives"

her: "but sir.... thats not part of our DSL service"

me: "What? DSL? I don't need DSL, I want you guys to change my order before you build my computer... thats all. I don't need DSL."

her: "Sir, we don't build computers."

me: "What are you talking about!?!"

her: "Who did you call?"

me: "I called you guys! The Dell Computer Corporation of Round Rock Texas!!"

(then the reason for the confusion became clear)

"Sir, I work for Verizon."

To this day I have no idea how I was transferred from Dell to Verizon. She was a gamer though.... after we cleared it all up she offered me a special rate on DSL for home. lol

kc rush
03-16-2005, 01:51 PM
A friend of mine had a phone number similar to one of the Payless Cashways stores, and every once in a while they would take down an order and tell the contractor that the materials would be ready for them first thing in the morning.

A few weeks ago I had some Mexican guys call me on my cell phone. I had no idea what they were asking me so I kept saying wrong number and that I didn't speak spanish. After the 3rd call in a 1/2 hour, I just let them go to voice mail. They called about 12 times that day. You would think that they would figure out that they had the wrong number since I would answer in English, and my voice mail is in English. If only I had paid attention in high-school spanish, I could have had some fun.

morphius
03-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Mine was a frickin classic!

I was sitting in my cube at work, feeling like my pasty white normal self and my cell phone rings. I answer it and the first thing I hear is, "Whaddup Dog." from some black lady on the phone. Holding back my, "WTF", I just said, "Not much". The phone conversation quickly takes a nose dive when she asked me who that woman she saw me with was, and I just responded, what woman and who are you? Which quickly got me, "Don't play me nigga!!!" at which point I just lost it and busted up laughing going, "Babe, I don't think I'm the guy you think your talking to". She wouldn't believe me though and finally hung up on me.

About 20 minutes later my phone rings with that number again and I say "Hello." and she just responds, "I am sooo soorry.".

I really need to see if I have th trascript of that phone call somewhere, funniest phone call I have ever been on.

Alton deFlat
03-16-2005, 02:22 PM
It wasn't a wrong number, but several years ago I was shopping at a Walden's Bookstore. I went up to pay the cashier, who was a very attractive young lady. My wife was kinda standing nearby, at which point the cashier looked at me, smiled and said, "I had a good time last night." I'm sure the look on face was priceless. I looked at her, and then at my wife. I then said, "you must be thinking of somebody else." Thank God, I was at home with my wife the previous night. WHEW!!

tk13
03-16-2005, 02:42 PM
It wasn't a wrong number, but several years ago I was shopping at a Walden's Bookstore. I went up to pay the cashier, who was a very attractive young lady. My wife was kinda standing nearby, at which point the cashier looked at me, smiled and said, "I had a good time last night." I'm sure the look on face was priceless. I looked at her, and then at my wife. I then said, "you must be thinking of somebody else." Thank God, I was at home with my wife the previous night. WHEW!!
ROFL Sounds like a fun game to play on people....