PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden "almost" captured

Mr. Flopnuts
03-15-2005, 11:48 PM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20050315/1046262558.htm&floc=NW_1-T

Musharraf: Forces Almost Caught Bin Laden

By MUNIR AHMAD

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - Pakistani security forces came close to capturing Osama bin Laden in an operation about eight to 10 months ago, but the terror mastermind eluded arrest and his trail has since gone cold, Pakistan's president said Tuesday.

Though President Gen. Pervez Musharraf did not say where the operation took place, the comment was the first official indication that bin Laden has recently been in Pakistan. Intelligence officials have said they believe he is hiding in the rugged mountains that straddle the border with Afghanistan.

``There was a time when the dragnet had closed and we thought we knew roughly the area where he possibly could be,'' Musharraf said in an interview with the British Broadcasting Corp. aired Tuesday.

``That was, I think, some time back ... maybe about eight to 10 months back,'' he said, adding: ``But after that, this is such a game, this intelligence, that they escape. They can move and then you lose contact.''

The comments confirmed Pakistani intelligence officials' claims that the trail of the world's most wanted man has gone cold. Senior officials close to the hunt have told The Associated Press they have received no information on his whereabouts for months and have no indication of any specific attack he is planning.

Musharraf and other Pakistani leaders say the silence is a sign they have destroyed al-Qaida's network here.

In Washington, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said he did not have any information on Musharraf's disclosure. But he said bin Laden ``remains a high priority just like other al-Qaida leaders.''

``He is someone that has been on the run,'' McClellan said. ``We are dismantling the al-Qaida network. We have made important progress, but the war on terrorism continues. And we will stay on the offensive and take the fight to the enemy so we don't have to fight them here at home.''

Pakistan is a key ally of the United States in its war on terror. Its security forces have captured more than 700 terror suspects, including some key al-Qaida operatives.

Musharraf's remarks came weeks after the U.S. government launched a series of television and radio ads in Pakistan trumpeting the $25 million reward Washington is offering for any information leading to the capture of bin Laden.

Pakistani troops last year repeatedly attacked al-Qaida-linked militants in the country's northwestern tribal regions near Afghanistan.

Bin Laden was last seen in a video released just before the U.S. elections in November. The video was dropped off at the Islamabad office of the Arabic news channel Al-Jazeera, though there was no indication from the tape where Osama was when he recorded it.

In the 18-minute videotape, bin Laden threatened fresh attacks on the United States.

Better luck next time kids..........

ChiefsCountry
03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Thats what happens when you let those countries do your work for you.

el borracho
03-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Wow. Great story.

"Hey, guys, remember a long time ago when we almost did something? That was cool. Huh-huh. Huh. Huh."

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Musharraf must want some more money.

Musharraf saying they almost captured bin Laden is like saying the Bronco's almost won the Super Bowl last year.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2005, 12:20 AM
I thought it was pretty funny that they decided to make that the headline news today.

MichaelH
03-16-2005, 03:51 AM
What I don't understand is why don't they just level the area he's suspected to be in. Sure it will take a few tries to get it but eventually they'll get him and all the rest of those bastards.

mikey23545
03-16-2005, 04:08 AM
What I don't understand is why don't they just level the area he's suspected to be in. Sure it will take a few tries to get it but eventually they'll get him and all the rest of those bastards.

How do you level hundreds of thousands of square miles of mountains?

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 04:14 AM
What I don't understand is why only 25mil reward for his capture. We are talking about the most wanted man in the world. Why not bump the reward up to 1 billion? You would think that the amount of money that has already been spent on the WoT, that 1 billion would be a drop in the bucket.

25mil isn't going to convince anyone to turn him over. How long does one think they can hide with only 25mil? 1Bn? Ahhh... now that's the kind of money that can make anyone disapear from the face of the earth, forever.

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 04:19 AM
How do you level hundreds of thousands of square miles of mountains?

In Pakistan? Hmmm... Maybe carpet bombing some Hormel Black Label Bacon.

Seeing the Hindu Kush covered in strips of bacon would be awesome.

ClearmontChief
03-16-2005, 07:29 AM
I heard that the Marines and Rangers were set to capture him, but General Carl Peterson couldn't pull the trigger on the attack order.

oldandslow
03-16-2005, 07:36 AM
I thought it was pretty funny that they decided to make that the headline news today.

Not really. Condi is over in India and India wants F-16s. So does Pakistan. Problem is, the two countries hate each other. So the Pakistani leak that "we really are trying to help you find OBL" and the timing of the story makes perfect sense.

the Talking Can
03-16-2005, 07:38 AM
this is a joke, right?

everyone knows Osama Been Hiding is in Baghdad

badgirl
03-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I "almost" moved home last spring, but I didn't. :rolleyes:

Cochise
03-16-2005, 09:19 AM
this is a joke, right?

everyone knows Osama Been Hiding is in Baghdad

No, everyone knows that Bush already caught him and is waiting until right before the election to roll him out in shackles.

Braincase
03-16-2005, 09:23 AM
He'd be alot easier to find if he were glowing.

the Talking Can
03-16-2005, 09:28 AM
No, everyone knows that Bush already caught him and is waiting until right before the election to roll him out in shackles.

so why haven't they asked him where the WMDs are yet?

badgirl
03-16-2005, 09:29 AM
:LOL:

vckcchiefs04
03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Why can't they just send a gang of guys armed with soap and deoderant, that funky a$$ guy would make a be-line out of those mountains, then there ya go, smelly guy in jail! :thumb:

Oxford
03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
This is just the "Whack-a-mole" strategy. We know where he is, but everytime he speaks, someone else pops their head up. Then we whack them.

Cochise
03-16-2005, 09:58 AM

How would Osama know? Iraq's got nothing to do with terrorism, remember?

Frankie
03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Ummmm.... Is this thread in the right forum? :shrug:

Just wondering!

Pants
03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
What I don't understand is why only 25mil reward for his capture. We are talking about the most wanted man in the world. Why not bump the reward up to 1 billion? You would think that the amount of money that has already been spent on the WoT, that 1 billion would be a drop in the bucket.

25mil isn't going to convince anyone to turn him over. How long does one think they can hide with only 25mil? 1Bn? Ahhh... now that's the kind of money that can make anyone disapear from the face of the earth, forever.

Shit, 1 bil. is a lot of money. The terrorists themeselves could probably give him up for that and use the money to improve their net.

InChiefsHell
03-16-2005, 10:47 AM
25 mil is not small pickings for your average dirtbag in the ME...and I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I could totally get lost for the rest of my life on 25 mil...try me...please...

Cochise
03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
25 mil is not small pickings for your average dirtbag in the ME...and I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I could totally get lost for the rest of my life on 25 mil...try me...please...

Not to mention when you live in a country where the US Dollar is worth many thousand times what your own currency is.

Pants
03-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Not to mention when you live in a country where the US Dollar is worth many thousand times what your own currency is.

Yeah, but a pack of cigarettes costs 25,000 of whatever they use there.

Cochise
03-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah, but a pack of cigarettes costs 25,000 of whatever they use there.

Maybe if you are talking about some imported goods. But if you translate the average person's annual salary to our currency I bet you come up with like $5,000 USD. And much of what you spend would still be on Iraqi originated goods that are trading based on the dinar's value. Food, housing, land purchases, construction of buildings you buy, probably anything but the more higher end stuff.

I don't think that anyone can deny that someone worth $25 million would be a far richer man in Iraq than in the US, compared to the average citizen.

Pants
03-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Maybe if you are talking about some imported goods. But if you translate the average person's annual salary to our currency I bet you come up with like $5,000 USD. And much of what you spend would still be on Iraqi originated goods that are trading based on the dinar's value. Food, housing, land purchases, construction of buildings you buy, probably anything but the more higher end stuff.

I don't think that anyone can deny that someone worth $25 million would be a far richer man in Iraq than in the US, compared to the average citizen.

Oh, yeah. Naturally, I was exaggerating, but I seriously doubt the $ 5k a year. It's probably closer to 2K if not 1.

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Shit, 1 bil. is a lot of money. The terrorists themeselves could probably give him up for that and use the money to improve their net.

You really think the U.S. govt. wouldn't know where that person is and where the money is going? :spock:

First of all, the person would be wisked away by us. They would never let the person stay in the ME. Just wouldn't happen. And who would really want to stay in the ME with 1 billion in their pocket?

25 million obviously isn't enough. If it was, we would already have Osama either dead, or in a cell.

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 11:59 AM

25 million is just enough to get away for awhile, atleast IMO. 1 billion is enough to make one disapear for a lifetime.

Scaga
03-16-2005, 12:01 PM
That's kinda like saying
"I almost got laid last night"...

It's nice and all, but you really shouldn't be bragging about it.

Pants
03-16-2005, 12:05 PM
You really think the U.S. govt. wouldn't know where that person is and where the money is going? :spock:

First of all, the person would be wisked away by us. They would never let the person stay in the ME. Just wouldn't happen. And who would really want to stay in the ME with 1 billion in their pocket?

25 million obviously isn't enough. If it was, we would already have Osama either dead, or in a cell.

Maby.

InChiefsHell
03-16-2005, 01:40 PM

IMO, there is no amount of money to make one of his little bastage followers rat him out. These people don't give a shit about money. Look at Bin Laden himself. He was worth like a ton and instead would rather skulk around in a cave like the little rat that he is...

...no, I firmly believe that IF we are ever going to get this guy, it will be good detective work or blind luck, but I would be very surprised if somebody rolled on him. His followers are different from Sadaam's.

InChiefsHell
03-16-2005, 01:57 PM
25 million is just enough to get away for awhile, atleast IMO. 1 billion is enough to make one disapear for a lifetime.

I still don't get how you figure this. 25 million = 500,000 for fifty years...seriously, what the hell are you going to buy??

Edubs
03-16-2005, 02:13 PM
What is with this almost #$%^? We always ALMOST catch these slimy f-ers. Just bomb the whole area where we think he MIGHT be.

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 02:34 PM
IMO, there is no amount of money to make one of his little bastage followers rat him out. These people don't give a shit about money. Look at Bin Laden himself. He was worth like a ton and instead would rather skulk around in a cave like the little rat that he is...

...no, I firmly believe that IF we are ever going to get this guy, it will be good detective work or blind luck, but I would be very surprised if somebody rolled on him. His followers are different from Sadaam's.

You might be right about that. Honestly, that is exactly why I think the reward should be larger. Nobody is biting on the 25 million dollars, and how long has it been now? Going on 4yrs? Somebody has to know where he is. He isn't a ghost without support from somebodies. IMO it boils down to 2 things, either the sum isn't enough to entice anyone, or the sum isn't enough enough to entice anyone.

I don't care who you are, anybody can be bought, for the right price.

Saggysack
03-16-2005, 02:40 PM
I still don't get how you figure this. 25 million = 500,000 for fifty years...seriously, what the hell are you going to buy??

Fear of reprisal. Fear of being hunted down for the rest of your life. You think if bin Laden was captured his most strident followers wouldn't hunt the person responsible for his capture to the end of their days? It takes alot of money fall off the place of the planet and to stay that way, and 500,000 a yr won't cut it to make it a lifetime. IMHO.

Maybe I'm just high maintenance.

KCChiefsFan88
03-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Bin Laden "almost" captured is like the Chiefs being "close" to an agreement with a free agent.

NaptownChief
03-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Turns out they had Bin Laden but decided to turn him loose so that Hillary and Janet Reno wouldn't find out what it is like to be right about something.

ROFL

Homo_Thug
03-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Damn son, I doubt we eva catch that s.o.b.

But on that real tip I hope we get that mofo like soon ya heard? We cant be havin a nigga like this just out there ya nah mean?

Inspector
03-16-2005, 08:25 PM

But on that real tip I hope we get that mofo like soon ya heard? We cant be havin a nigga like this just out there ya nah mean?

The "N" word.

Wow. Cool.

It really compliments the lack of spelling and grammar ability. Impressive.

Dick Bull
03-16-2005, 08:27 PM

I feel ya dawg.

Word to your mother.

InChiefsHell
03-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Fear of reprisal. Fear of being hunted down for the rest of your life. You think if bin Laden was captured his most strident followers wouldn't hunt the person responsible for his capture to the end of their days? It takes alot of money fall off the place of the planet and to stay that way, and 500,000 a yr won't cut it to make it a lifetime. IMHO.

Maybe I'm just high maintenance.
I agree, your'e probably high maintenance... :p

But seriously, I think that to these people, 25 mil, 50-mil, 100 mil, 1 billion...it's all the same. It all equals a sum of money that they just can't comprehend anyway. It's just my opinion that 25mil = 1 billion to these people. I just don't think that it's about the money to them at all, otherwise somebody would have rolled by now. JMO...

badgirl
03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Maby.
:spock:

Chan93lx50
03-16-2005, 09:42 PM
ALMOST is the word that goes with KC's FA signings

Almost Trotter, Almost Rolle, Almost Hartwell, and ALMOST Laden

Iowanian
03-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Get back to me when his rotting head is duct taped to the hood of a US Humvee.

Coach
03-16-2005, 11:27 PM
Get back to me when his rotting head is duct taped to the hood of a US Humvee.

Ditto. I don't care if they "almost" get him. Doesn't mean shit. They didn't catch him, period. I want him caught. End of story.