PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Phone Users

Otter
03-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Anyone know what the "SMS Alert" feature is? For example, if you go to your Message Inbox and then go into Setup there is an "SMS Alert" option.

After an extended Google search and looking in both Motorola's and Cingular's website I've found nothing.

I'm trying to turn off the feature where the phone beeps like every 5 minutes if you have an unread text message.

Nothing like being woken up at every 5 minutes from 2:30 to 3am until you get up to read "I'm shitfaced" or "come over E-House" every weekend.

:cuss:

ENDelt260
03-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I think your two issues might be related...

What's the model of the phone?

Alton deFlat
03-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I have a Motorola V-400 and my SMS alert is turned on, but I guess I haven't had that happen to me. I have my book at home. If I remember, I'll read about it tonight.

Alton deFlat
03-16-2005, 12:59 PM
OK Otter, try this.

GO to your ring styles, mine is set for loud.

GO to loud detail (or whatever yours is)

click on change

scroll down to text message

click on change

select silent

Otter
03-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I think your two issues might be related...

What's the model of the phone?

Motorola V551

The documentation they provide is amazingly vauge.

Otter
03-16-2005, 01:20 PM
OK Otter, try this.

GO to your ring styles, mine is set for loud.

GO to loud detail (or whatever yours is)

click on change

scroll down to text message

click on change

select silent

Won't that silence everything? I want to hear the phone ring, I just don't need to be reminded every five minutes that I have an unread text message.

I called up Cingular earlier to ask for tech support help on this, I wish I would have recorded the conversation.

The lady said "I have xxx model, let me look" and I listened to her breath for 5 minutes while she went through her menus to finally hear "huh, I don't know. you think they would make somthing so you can turn that off".

I rolled my eyes and said "ok, what does the SMS Alert function do?".

Her answer: "I don't know. What does it say when you bring it up?" I said there's and option to turn it on and off.

Lady at Cingular tech support: "Well try turning it off".

otter: "forget it", hangs up.

Alton deFlat
03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Won't that silence everything? I want to hear the phone ring, I just don't need to be reminded every five minutes that I have an unread text message.

No, that will just silence the text messages. There are different tones for calls, voicemail, alarms, etc.

Otter
03-16-2005, 02:56 PM
No, that will just silence the text messages. There are different tones for calls, voicemail, alarms, etc.

Doesn't have that option, just "my sounds" and the text message catagory isn't in there.

I'll keep playing with it or stop by the Cingular place at the mall.

Thanks for your help though.

DenverChief
03-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Okay I hope this is not too late...I have the Moto V220 if you go to ring styles>ring style detail>scroll until you find "reminder" change to "off"