03-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Posted on Wed, Mar. 16, 2005

R E L A T E D L I N K S
• More KU coverage

Langford's status still uncertain

Self says he doesn't know if KU guard will play Friday

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — Although he remains hopeful, Kansas coach Bill Self still isn't ready to announce a decision regarding Keith Langford's status for the NCAA Tournament.

Asked Tuesday whether Langford would play in Friday's game against Bucknell, Self said: “I don't know. He's not going to practice today. We'll try to practice him tomorrow.”

Langford hasn't played since suffering a severe left ankle sprain in KU's regular-season finale March 6 at Missouri. After going through individual workouts over the weekend, Langford returned to practice Monday and “tweaked” the injury, Self said.

“Yesterday he didn't do great,” Self said Tuesday. “His ankle is just average. He moves pretty good on it, but not great. He tweaked it there at the end, so that kind of set him back for the rest of the day. He's going to get a lot of (treatment) this week.”

Langford had a late-afternoon class Tuesday and was not available to speak with reporters.

He has also been fighting the stomach flu that caused him to be hospitalized Thursday and Friday nights. Self said that illness, combined with missed practice time because of the ankle injury, has affected Langford's conditioning.

“He practiced some yesterday and got tired,” Self said. “The doctors seem to think by Friday his stamina is going to be OK as far as the sickness goes. (His ankle), to me, is the bigger concern than the flu.”

Langford, a senior guard, is second on the team with 14.7 points per game. His teammates are confident Langford will be with them on the court Friday.

“I think he will be, but it remains to be seen right now,” KU forward Wayne Simien said. “I still believe in him and his ability to help this team, whether he's on the court with us or not. But I definitely anticipate seeing No. 5 out there with us.”

Guard Michael Lee added: “It's on our mind, but it's not something we can worry about because it's something we can't control. Obviously we want him back as soon as possible.”

• As if the practices and games weren't enough, Simien is getting bombarded more each week by requests for media interviews. Sports Illustrated and ESPN The Magazine are among a handful of national publications that have already run extensive features on Simien, who's expected to earn first-team All-American honors later this week.

More stories are in the works.

“I got my fair share of it last year,” Simien said. “(Interviews) aren't always my favorite thing to do, but I'll be OK. I'll try to enjoy it the best I can, but all the while maintain the prominent focus on winning basketball games.”

• Self said he's pleased with how unselfishly KU has played as of late. Kansas scored 23 baskets in Friday's Big 12 quarterfinal victory over K-State, 19 of which came on assists. Twenty-three of the Jayhawks' 31 buckets the next night against Oklahoma State were off assists.

“Sometimes with Keith in there, when things don't go well, we just wait for Keith to go score,” Self said. “We didn't have that luxury this weekend, and we probably moved the ball better because of it.”

• With North Carolina and former KU coach Roy Williams in the same regional as the Jayhawks, Self realizes his players will be asked about the possibility of a Jayhawks-Tar Heels matchup in the Sweet 16.

“I don't (think it will be a distraction),” Self said. “I can't believe they're thinking about anything other than it being a two-game tournament. Now, next week it could be a potential distraction if both teams advance. But I cannot see that being a distraction this weekend.”

• Although it ruined KU's chances of earning a No. 1 or a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, Langford's ankle injury may have been a positive for a handful of Jayhawks.

Self said the experience players such as Lee, Jeff Hawkins, Alex Galindo and Russell Robinson gained in Langford's absence could prove beneficial in the long run.

“Russell, C.J. (Giles) and Alex got quite a few minutes,” Self said. “From an individual standpoint we should be going into the postseason pretty confident. Aaron (Miles) is playing well, Wayne has obviously been great, Hawk and Mike and J.R. (Giddens) made some key plays to get us back in the (Oklahoma State) game. I see a lot of positives from an individual standpoint.”

• The fact that the Jayhawks begin the tournament in Oklahoma City will make travel easier on most KU fans. But Hawkins said he'd expect a big following wherever Kansas played.

“Even if we were playing in Alaska, there would still be the same amount of Kansas fans there,” Hawkins said.

• The Jayhawks' team plane is scheduled to leave Forbes Field in Topeka at 7 tonight for Oklahoma City. Kansas will hold a public practice from 6 to 6:50 p.m. Thursday at the Ford Center.

To reach Jason King,

Kansas reporter for The Star,

ROYC75
03-16-2005, 08:29 AM
So much for being healthy come tourney time.

KingPriest2
03-16-2005, 09:11 AM
:p

the Talking Can
03-16-2005, 09:15 AM
I have no memory of the last time all of KU's starters were healthy going into the tournament.

This sucks.

King_Chief_Fan
03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
I give no care about KU.

Brock
03-16-2005, 09:20 AM
I give no care about KU.

and yet, here you are in a KU topic.

King_Chief_Fan
03-16-2005, 10:56 AM
and yet, here you are in a KU topic.

yup, funny thing a KU topic on a football board. Oh well!

Pants
03-16-2005, 11:20 AM

yep, funny thing we beat mizzou and KSU. Oh well!

Saulbadguy
03-16-2005, 11:21 AM
:p
How is this funny at all? Even I don't laugh at Mizzou injuries.

Brock
03-16-2005, 11:22 AM

And here you are again. I'm beginning to seriously doubt your non-fandom.

Cochise
KU fans are already getting cranky. I love it :D

At least it isn't like most years where they have been telling you for 4 months how big of a lock they are for the national title. I will take chicken little over that any day :evil:

Pants
How is this funny at all? Even I don't laugh at Mizzou injuries.

You aren't a mizery fan. Durrr, durrr. :rolleyes:

:)

Pants
03-16-2005, 11:24 AM
KU fans are already getting cranky. I love it :D

At least it isn't like most years where they have been telling you for 4 months how big of a lock they are for the national title. I will take chicken little over that any day :evil:

WTF are you talking about? Who's cranky? We are just concerned about an injury - a starting senior, too.

Cochise
03-16-2005, 11:32 AM
WTF are you talking about? Who's cranky? We are just concerned about an injury - a starting senior, too.

The tourney-time mood amongst ku fans is definitely different this year.

Normally they are around the office and bars and such in the area spouting about how they are going all the way this year, and that no team has an answer for all their weapons, etc.

This year they all seem to be expecting to lay an egg, or at least not giving their team much of a chance to make it past the round of 16

You may be an exception, but amongst the board and the ones I deal with in real life, they somehow don't feel they are near-invincible as usual.

Pants
03-16-2005, 11:34 AM
The tourney-time mood amongst ku fans is definitely different this year.

Normally they are around the office and bars and such in the area spouting about how they are going all the way this year, and that no team has an answer for all their weapons, etc.

This year they all seem to be expecting to lay an egg, or at least not giving their team much of a chance to make it past the round of 16

You may be an exception, but amongst the board and the ones I deal with in real life, they somehow don't feel they are near-invincible as usual.

Yeah, I'm pretty apprehensive about this year since we never reached the "best team in the US" potential, but I'm not cranky???

Cochise
03-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty apprehensive about this year since we never reached the "best team in the US" potential, but I'm not cranky???

Well, I did hear it earlier in the year, when they were reeling off win after win. Then after a few defeats it was "losing is good", followed by "we'll be ready by tourney time".

The only positivity I have heard lately is that Roy isn't around anymore so they will just have to be better (as Roy's team starts with the holeshot in the tournament, I might add)

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
This is not going to be a pretty tourney for the Jayhawks I have a feeling.....

But at least the Royals may field their worst team ever and the Chiefs still have more questions than answers on defense....

ROYC75
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Jayhawks still dealing with health concerns
Langford recovering from ankle injury, flu; Moody not 100 percent healed

By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wayne Simien can't imagine a scenario that would keep Kansas University senior teammate Keith Langford from playing in Friday night's NCAA Tournament opener against Bucknell.

"I believe he has the ability to help the team whether he's on the court or not, but I definitely think you will see No. 5 out there," Simien, the Big 12 Conference player of the year, said before Tuesday's practice at Allen Fieldhouse.

Langford missed the start of the practice because of a conflict with a class and missed the remainder of the practice because of nagging problems with his left ankle.

He wrenched the ankle March 6 at Missouri, re-aggravating a severe bone bruise. He came down with a nasty case of the flu Wednesday that required hospitalization for IV treatment.

KU coach Bill Self didn't know whether Langford would play Friday.

"Yesterday, he practiced some and looked good," Self said. "He kind of tweaked it there at the end that probably set him back yesterday. He moved pretty good on it, but not great.

"To me, it (ankle) is a bigger concern than the flu. He's going to get a lot of rehab this week."

Langford, who missed KU's two Big 12 tournament games last weekend, had an individual workout Sunday night and practiced Monday, tweaking the ankle near the end of drills.

"The doctors seem to think by Friday his stamina is going to be OK from the sickness," said Self, whose Jayhawks will meet Bucknell at 8:50 p.m. Friday at Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

"His conditioning may not be great. If he was just dealing with the flu, his stamina would be fine. From that standpoint, he'll be OK. His ankle is just average."

Meanwhile, Christian Moody still is not 100 percent recovered from the staph infection in his left knee.

"His whole deal is not getting it hit," Self said. "With that kind of infection, you can't put any pressure on the area where it is infected. Around that bursa sac on the knee it hurts to touch it. He couldn't put a pad on it because there's too much pressure."

Homeward bound: KU sophomore J.R. Giddens is looking forward to playing this weekend in his hometown of Oklahoma City.

"We'll have a good crowd. Kansas fans will commute to Oklahoma City," Giddens said. "Darnell (Jackson) is an Oklahoma boy; I'm an Oklahoma boy; coach Self is an Oklahoma boy, so it should all be good."

Giddens, who busted a recent slump by hitting three of five threes Saturday against Oklahoma State, admitted for the first time Tuesday he was hurt by the booing he received at Allen Fieldhouse during his 1-for-11 outing from three-point range against Iowa State.

"I will not lie. It kind of hit me a little," Giddens said. "I was like, ‘Man, they don't know I'm here before practice and after practice trying to make shots. I am not trying to miss shots,'" Giddens said.

"People booing me, down on me, it was terrible. I said, ‘Don't boo me like this. True fans won't do that,'" Giddens added.

"I said I wish I could reverse the script, they be in my shoes for a game, see how tough it is. But it's OK. Some people are not going to be good sportsmen. I just have to deal with that."

Travel schedule: KU's team take a charter flight after this afternoon's practice to Oklahoma City. The bus is slated to leave Allen Fieldhouse for Topeka's Forbes Field at 6 p.m.

"If we took a bus, we'd have to miss some school tomorrow," said Self, whose Jayhawks will hold an open shootaround practice from 6 to 6:50 p.m. Thursday at Ford Center.

"If we charter, we miss no school. Plus if we are fortunate enough to play Sunday, if you take the bus you get back in the middle of the night as opposed to 10 or so. We don't want to mess with the players' sleep patterns more than we have to."

Good move by KSU: Self was pleased KSU decided to keep Jim Wooldridge as coach.

"I think it's a great decision by K-State," Self said. "Jim Wooldridge is a good coach. He's got good young players coming back. He's done a very good job there. They lost a lot of close games this year. I was pulling for that to happen. It's good for Jim, good for our league and good for K-State."

paulgkc
03-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I would bet my life on him playing. How well, I don't know. But he'll be out there.

Calcountry
03-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Tweakers suck.

King_Chief_Fan
03-16-2005, 12:34 PM
And here you are again. I'm beginning to seriously doubt your non-fandom.

ROFL

Archie F. Swin
03-16-2005, 01:32 PM
didn't KU play the role of tourney overachievers last year? This is a better(or at least deeper) KU team than last year.

rock ****in chalk, bitches!