PDA

View Full Version : Any Sporting Clay Shooters on the Planet?

Bill Lundberg
03-16-2005, 06:53 PM
I started shooting about 5 years ago with my father in law. Only getting to shoot when I visited him in Hannibal, MO. The more I shoot the more I am getting hooked. The only place I know of to go in KC is at the Powder Creek Shooting Park in Lenexa. Long story short, I'm going to start shooting more often and wondered if any of you have tried the sport?

bogie
03-16-2005, 07:40 PM
It is an awesone sport. Since I moved out to CA I haven't had a chance to do it. I never got real good at it, but always enjoyed it. I use a Remington 12 guage pump which isn't the best gun for the sport. I've always wanted to invest in an over and under but they're very expensive. I go back to MO every November for deer season and my hunting buddy and I have made a date to go to a place close to Ozark, MO to shoot a round. I'm looking forward to it.

Phobia
03-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I haven't, but have a cousin who owns his own range and has been ranked top 3 in his age bracket his entire life.

el borracho
03-16-2005, 08:10 PM
DenverChief and a couple of others, I think.

Wait... did you say "clay?"

OK, nevermind.

Bill Lundberg
03-16-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a Beretta 391 Semi-Auto, that is the perfect fit for me. I started using my Remington 1100 but it's too short in the stock for me. If anyone ever wants to give it a "shot" let me know, I'm always up for it.

PastorMikH
03-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I did once or twice back when I lived in Missouri. Hard to find places to shoot them, at least it's hard to find places that will let me use my .22 to shoot them.:)

I'd be up for them again provided there was a range that was close by and affordable.

go bowe
03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
DenverChief and a couple of others, I think.

Wait... did you say "clay?"

OK, nevermind.ROFL ROFL ROFL

Bill Lundberg
03-16-2005, 09:29 PM
The cost is a drawback. It runs about the same as a round of golf ($35) but you have to pay for the 100 shotgun shells you shoot...

Valiant
03-16-2005, 09:29 PM
there is a place north of smithville that does it... and also in independence...

Bill Lundberg
03-16-2005, 09:31 PM
there is a place north of smithville that does it... and also in independence...

Could you let me know the names of the places? I live up North near Liberty and Lenexa is a long haul. I know Smithville has a trap range, but they don't offer sporting clays.

go bowe
03-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I did once or twice back when I lived in Missouri. Hard to find places to shoot them, at least it's hard to find places that will let me use my .22 to shoot them.:)

I'd be up for them again provided there was a range that was close by and affordable.while i was in college, i lived with a friend for awhile on a dairy farm and we used to shoot the little clay pigeons...

he had a throwing machine mounted on a carwheel and we'd get somebody to run it and just blaze away...

i was particularly good at it with my 18" bbl. riot gun, as long as i fired quickly...

and it seemed like the drunker we got, the better we shot... :shrug:

PastorMikH
03-16-2005, 09:40 PM
while i was in college, i lived with a friend for awhile on a dairy farm and we used to shoot the little clay pigeons...

he had a throwing machine mounted on a carwheel and we'd get somebody to run it and just blaze away...

i was particularly good at it with my 18" bbl. riot gun, as long as i fired quickly...

and it seemed like the drunker we got, the better we shot... :shrug:

They had car wheels when you were in college?

jspchief
03-16-2005, 10:35 PM
The distributor I buy my materials from used to have an annual trap shoot. We'd spend an entire afternoon shooting trap and skeet. I'd go through 5 or 6 boxes of shells. Made for a dirty gun and a sore shoulder, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I have a spring powered thrower that I take out to shhot clay pigeons, but I don't ever see myself paying for the real thing. I have enough expensive hobbies as it is.

Bwana
03-17-2005, 12:23 AM
I do and I agree, it's a great time.

Valiant
03-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Could you let me know the names of the places? I live up North near Liberty and Lenexa is a long haul. I know Smithville has a trap range, but they don't offer sporting clays.

yes i know smithville does not... it is some place north of smithville that i went and shot with my uncles a few years ago..

Bill Lundberg
03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Any shooters in the daytime crowd?

ROYC75
03-17-2005, 10:36 AM
I used to love it, trap and skeet shooting.

Years ago( 60 ,70's )I use to work at the trap and skeet club northeast of Louisburg Ks. It was located just west of Cleveland,Mo if any of you know of this. My job was loading the machines and controls. During tournament shoots we would always have a gun in the trap house loading the machines.

It lasted for about 10 - 12 years and slowly dried up.

I haven't shot for 25 years now, but I bet ya I can still do it.

RedNFeisty
03-17-2005, 11:54 AM
I use to shoot with my dad, but that was in Colorado Springs. Probably not going to help you in KC.

donkhater
03-17-2005, 12:14 PM
My brother's really into it. He lives up in Mankato Minn. Talks as if their are a bunch of clubs for that kind of sport up there.

stumppy
03-17-2005, 12:17 PM
There is a place between Springfield and Branson called Ozark Shooters.
Always wanted to try sporting calys but haven't got around to it yet. I enjoy the hell out of shooting skeet.

Iowanian
03-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I like to shoot clay pidgeons. We shoot at my folks farm sometimes.......spring thrower and a whip antanea with a hand thrower. My buddies and I used to play alot of "annie Oaklee"...pitch in some $, get in a line..........the first guy shoots, and if he misses the 2nd shoots and so on. If the first 2 miss and the 3rd hits it, the first two are out.........Last man standing gets the cash.

There is a range about 2 miles from my folks, and I've gone to a couple of Turkey shoots which are fun.............

There is a good place near Eddyville(owned by the parents of that Iowa HS Gal who shot in the Olympics I think)...she was there. I went there with my brother in law for his bachelor party..........They've got a nice sporting clays course.

Scaga
03-17-2005, 01:53 PM
I do sometimes....
There's a couple of nice places down here around Wichita.

The darn targets need to be BIGGER though...
And they should SLOW THEM DOWN!!!