PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Herndon signs offer sheet with Seahawks

Joe Seahawk
03-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Taco, will the Bronco's match?

By CLARE FARNSWORTH
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- Cornerback Kelly Herndon, a restricted free agent from the Denver Broncos, signed a five-year, $15 million offer sheet with the Seahawks tonight.

The offer sheet, which includes a $4.5 million signing bonus, will be sent to the NFL office Thursday morning and the Broncos will have seven days to match the offer. If the Broncos decline to match, as expected, they will receive no draft-choice compensation from the Seahawks because Herndon entered the league in 1999 as an undrafted rookie.

The Seahawks have been shopping the free-agent market for a cornerback since losing Ken Lucas two weeks ago, when he signed a six-year, $36 million contract with the Carolina Panthers.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/216289_hawk16ww.html

Mile High Mania
03-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Wow... great payday for him, they will not match.

the Talking Can
03-16-2005, 10:41 PM
thank god

Joe Seahawk
03-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I really don't know that much about Herndon, but apparently the Seahawks were pretty high on him and felt he was an under rated corner..

I imagine he had a few balls thrown his way last year with Champ on the other side, he apparently did a pretty good job in the Seahawks eyes..

nychief
03-16-2005, 10:42 PM
SEASON IS OVER!!!1 :banghead:

Nightfyre
03-16-2005, 10:43 PM
I dunno at under 1.5 mil in the first year, he would have been worthwhile for the Chiefs...

Mastashake
03-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I dunno at under 1.5 mil in the first year, he would have been worthwhile for the Chiefs...

I am all about Herndon...But at this point a chimpanzee with a 4.2-40 is sounding good.

Mastashake

Joe Seahawk
03-16-2005, 10:47 PM
:hmmm: :hmmm: :thumb:

Herndon played 99 percent of the Broncos' defensive snaps last season even though he was projected to be the No. 3 cornerback behind Champ Bailey and Lenny Walls. According to Stats Inc., Herndon led the league with 23 passes defensed and had only 51 percent of the passes thrown in his direction completed.

Wallcrawler
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Kelly Herndon drinks his own pee.

KC dont need no Bronco castoffs anyway. Once Herndon learns to play without cheating under orders from Mike Shanahan, he wont look nearly as good.

Besides that he's only 5'10 and 180 pounds. Gunther likes his corners to be bigger and more physical guys.

This is all just rationalization anyway. He might have helped, but now that we most likely cant get him, we didnt need him anyway.

tk13
03-16-2005, 11:32 PM
I think that's a GREAT pickup Joe. He was easily the most underrated corner on the market. Nobody here liked him for some reason, but what does everyone here know. :D If we'd signed him to a deal like that I would've been thrilled. The guy is a man-press cover CB, perfect for what Gunther wants to do, and did a damn good job considering he had to play opposite Champ Bailey and nobody throws at Champ. They put him on the slot and Brandon Stokley in the playoffs and he held Stokley to just a couple catches and had the only interception of the game for the Broncos, he was the only defender who showed up. The talent dropoff between him and Ken Lucas is not even close to 10 million dollars in signing bonus. I think you guys got a good deal....

KCChiefsFan88
03-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Does this mean Seattle is no longer interested in Surtain?

beer bacon
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I like Herndon. You might have overpayed a bit, but in today's CB market you basically have to. He is a very solid #2.

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 12:18 AM
we no longer have to worry about CP trying to pretend that Herndon was our big FA CB signing...I can't thank Seattle enough

beer bacon
03-17-2005, 12:20 AM
we no longer have to worry about CP trying to pretend that Herndon was our big FA CB signing...I can't thank Seattle enough

Keith Adams is the linebacker of the future!

milkman
03-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Keith Adams is the linebacker of the future!

He may or may not be, but I'd rather have him as a STs player, and LB depth than Monty Beisel and freakin' Gary Stills.

tk13
03-17-2005, 12:26 AM
If we'd signed Law/Surtain and Herndon, then used whatever draft picks it took to trade up to draft Derrick Johnson, we'd had a top 10 defense next year. I'd almost guaranteed it.

I don't think the talent level difference between Herndon and Law/Surtain/Lucas/Baxter is not even close to 10 million in signing bonus...

milkman
03-17-2005, 12:31 AM
If we'd signed Law/Surtain and Herndon, then used whatever draft picks it took to trade up to draft Derrick Johnson, we'd had a top 10 defense next year. I'd almost guaranteed it.

My money says that if we get the deal done for Surtain, any movement in the draft will be down to pick up another day 1 pick.

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 12:33 AM

and I'd guarantee you that Carl Peterson is a retard and your scenario is pure fantasy...what is not fantasy is CP signing Herndon and pretending he was our "priority #1" all along...but we don't have to worry about that anymore, thankfully

tk13
03-17-2005, 12:36 AM
My money says that if we get the deal done for Surtain, any movement in the draft will be down to pick up another day 1 pick.
I wouldn't disagree with that really, I was just saying if you give me this lineup...

DE: Hicks
DT: Dalton
DT: Sims/Siavii
DE: Allen

LB: Fujita
LB: Bell
LB: D. Johnson

CB: Law
CB: Herndon
FS: Wesley
SS: Knight

....we're going to destroy some people. Wishful thinking on my part. :)

tk13
03-17-2005, 12:47 AM
and I'd guarantee you that Carl Peterson is a retard and your scenario is pure fantasy...what is not fantasy is CP signing Herndon and pretending he was our "priority #1" all along...but we don't have to worry about that anymore, thankfully
I don't think that's very fair. Plus I really wouldn't mind if we'd signed Hartwell and then added Herndon and drafted a corner... I think that'd be a vast improvement for our D. We know Herndon can play man-press coverage pretty well, he is going to cost $10 million less in signing bonus and allow us to make other moves. I'd liken it to the Jets signing David Barrett last year. A lesser known corner cheap that came in and did a great job for a very underrated Jets defense (4th in the league). There are guys out there who are lesser guys who suck, and I know you nor many others seem to believe it, but there are also free agents out there who can provide quality play who aren't the "big name" 15 million dollar signing bonus guys... I totally agree Carl has been frugal in that regard in the past and I think we have to take some chances here sooner or later, but by the same token when you've got a man-press cover corner that fits Gun's scheme perfectly at a great value, it's just as dumb to pass that up as it is to let a guy like Ty Law walk.

DL: Hicks, Dalton, Sims, Allen

LB: Bell, Hartwell, Fujita

CB: Warfield, Herndon, Carlos Rogers

S: Knight, Wesley

That's a much, much, much better defense. If signing a guy like Herndon allowed us to improve the front seven, Herndon and Warfield are good enough to cover long enough for Gun to bring the house at the QB.... the more money we had to make the front 7 better the less we need a Patrick Surtain that's going to be our big "FA" pickup. That's the way I saw it.....

milkman
03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
I don't think that's very fair. Plus I really wouldn't mind if we'd signed Hartwell and then added Herndon and drafted a corner... I think that'd be a vast improvement for our D. We know Herndon can play man-press coverage pretty well, he is going to cost $10 million less in signing bonus and allow us to make other moves. I'd liken it to the Jets signing David Barrett last year. A lesser known corner cheap that came in and did a great job for a very underrated Jets defense (4th in the league). There are guys out there who are lesser guys who suck, and I know you nor many others seem to believe it, but there are also free agents out there who can provide quality play who aren't the "big name" 15 million dollar signing bonus guys... I totally agree Carl has been frugal in that regard in the past and I think we have to take some chances here sooner or later, but by the same token when you've got a man-press cover corner that fits Gun's scheme perfectly at a great value, it's just as retarded to pass that up as it is to let a guy like Ty Law walk.

DL: Hicks, Dalton, Sims, Allen

LB: Bell, Hartwell, Fujita

CB: Warfield, Herndon, Rogers

S: Knight, Wesley

That's a much, much, much better defense. If signing a guy like Herndon allowed us to improve the front seven, Herndon and Warfield are good enough to cover long enough for Gun to bring the house at the QB.... the more money we had to make the front 7 better the less we need a Patrick Surtain that's going to be our big "FA" pickup. That's the way I saw it.....

I agree with you 100%.
Herndon doesn't have the "name", but he's a good corner.

DaWolf
03-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Not necessarially. We have a bunch of picks this year after round 3. I could envision a scenario where (especially if we pick up an extra 4th rounder for the Tait compensation) we trade a combination of 4th/5th round picks to move back up somewhere in round 2/3. Might even package a 2nd rounder from next year to move back up into the 2nd round this year. What the Surtain deal would definitely do is kill any chance of us trading up in the first round.

This is a draft where we need quality, not quantity. And that's probably why Carl is very reluctant to give up that 2nd rounder...

Mile High Mania
03-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Herndon took advantage of a great situation. He was supposed to be the #3 guy, Walls gets hurt and then Kelly actually has a nice year. Can he repeat? I dunno... he was headed for #3 status in 2005, so I can't fault him for running for the cash.