PDA

View Full Version : Oh Happy Day!!!!!!!!

ExtremeChief
03-17-2005, 04:38 AM
source (http://www.kcchiefs.com)

PETERSON AGREES TO FOUR-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH CHIEFS
Mar 17, 2005, 5:06:41 AM

Kansas City Chiefs Founder Lamar Hunt and Vice Chairman Clark Hunt announced on Thursday that President Carl Peterson has agreed to a four-year contract extension with the team. Peterson’s current contract was set to expire following the 2005 season. With this four-year contract extension, the team will retain Peterson’s services through the 2009 season.

Lamar Hunt, whose 45 years of association with the team qualifies him as a senior observer of Chiefs football said: “Carl was instrumental in leading the Chiefs back to the top echelon of the NFL after joining the organization in December of 1988. This new contract will carry through his 21st season with the organization. Such stability is unusual in the front office of an NFL team and is a big plus for the football fans of Mid-America. We look forward to the Chiefs continuing to be a competitive team within the NFL.”

Peterson enters his 17th season as Kansas City’s top executive in 2005 after originally joining the Chiefs in December of ‘88. During Peterson’s tenure, Kansas City has employed just three different head coaches and has finished first or second in the AFC West 11 times. Over that 16-year span, the Chiefs made eight playoff appearances, won four AFC West titles and reached the only AFC Championship Game in team history. In the 17 seasons prior to Peterson’s arrival, the Chiefs made just one playoff appearance and enjoyed just four winning seasons, while working under the direction of six different head coaches.

During Peterson’s 24 seasons as a pro football executive, squads whose personnel operations he has overseen have produced 18 winning records and have made the playoffs 15 times, a span that dates back to ‘77 when Peterson served as Director of Player Personnel for the Philadelphia Eagles. In addition to his NFL tours of duty in Kansas City and Philadelphia, Peterson also served as the President and General Manager of the USFL’s Stars. During that league’s three-season run from ‘83-85, the Stars compiled a league-best 48-13-1 overall record, won the final two USFL titles after reaching the league’s first championship game.

Under Peterson’s leadership, the Chiefs and their fans have created one of the league’s most impressive homefield advantages. Kansas City has sold out 117 consecutive contests at Arrowhead — including five postseason games — dating back to the club’s ‘91 regular season opener. Since the ‘95 season, Denver is the only AFC club that has a better home record than the 58-22 (.725) ledger produced by Kansas City at Arrowhead. The Chiefs have gone 13-3 three times under Peterson’s tenure (’95, ‘97 and 2003), boasting 8-0 regular season marks at Arrowhead each of those years.

The team’s national popularity has also grown tremendously over the past 16 years. Kansas City has been among the NFL leaders in merchandise sales, national-television appearances (71 times, including 25 on ABC’s Monday Night Football, the past 12 years) and international exposure (four American Bowl appearances since ‘90). Moreover, in 2004, the team registered season ticket holders from an amazing 47 different states.

“The Chiefs organization is fortunate to be able to retain the services of a proven leader like Carl for an additional four years,” Clark Hunt stated. “Throughout his tenure with the team, Carl has set a high standard in the management of both the business and football sides of the organization. With Carl’s leadership, we look forward to maintaining the Chiefs reputation as one of the best-run franchises in the NFL and providing our loyal fans with many exciting Sunday afternoons.”

“It has been my distinct honor and privilege to work for the Hunt family these past years,” Peterson noted in receiving the extension. “I sincerely appreciate their confidence and loyalty and will continue to work diligently to give them and the fans of Kansas City my best efforts. It is my continued goal to win a world championship for the Hunt family and for the greatest fans in pro football.”

Peterson serves on the National Boards for the Maxwell Football Club and Pop Warner Little Scholars Organization. He serves as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Pop Warner and is a member of the International World President’s Organization. He also serves on the Board of The Third and Long Foundation, which was founded by the late Derrick Thomas. In addition, Peterson serves on the following NFL Committees: NFL Management Council/C.E.C. Senior Executive Group, College and Pro Relations, NFL Europe League Working Executives and the NFL Youth Football Funding Board.

Peterson was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 with a class that included the likes of longtime Chiefs DE Art Still and former two-sport All-Star Bo Jackson. Spearheaded by the efforts of Peterson and his wife, Lori, the Chiefs organization (players, coaches and front office staff) has raised a net of over $12 million for local charities since ‘98.

Claynus
03-17-2005, 04:42 AM
:(

Saggysack
03-17-2005, 04:47 AM
ROFL

The Planet is going to meltdown.

ROFL

Claynus
03-17-2005, 04:48 AM
ROFL

The Planet is going to meltdown.

ROFL

Yeah. Let's enjoy the calm before the storm.

ExtremeChief
03-17-2005, 04:48 AM
This also paves the way for Saunders to be the next head coach. So much for King and Dick riding off in the sunset together.

Claynus
03-17-2005, 04:54 AM
It is extremely sad and depressing when a GM who has produced one winning team since 1997 is allowed to stay employed by that same team.

keg in kc
03-17-2005, 04:59 AM
This almost makes me wonder if there isn't something to the Surtain rumors from overnight.

Claynus
03-17-2005, 05:05 AM
This almost makes me wonder if there isn't something to the Surtain rumors from overnight.

There fuggin better be! :cuss:

Saggysack
03-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Yeah. Let's enjoy the calm before the storm.

Seriously, I'm not really upset about Lamar extending his contract. In the overall aspect of it, he can be just as easily fired as he was extended.

Claynus
03-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Seriously, I'm not really upset about Lamar extending his contract. In the overall aspect of it, he can be just as easily fired as he was extended.

ROFL

Lamar Hunt will never fire Carl Peterson

shakesthecat
03-17-2005, 05:13 AM
4 MORE YEARS!......4 MORE YEARS!.......4 MORE YEARS!

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Kerberos
03-17-2005, 05:14 AM
This JUST SUCKS....

Yet ANOTHER 4 years of KING CARL

:banghead:

:cuss:

Saggysack
03-17-2005, 05:17 AM
ROFL

Lamar Hunt will never fire Carl Peterson

Sure he would. He if doesn't put butts in the seats and his money generating activities stop working. I could see Lamar moving in a different direction if he loses money.

Unfortunately, alot of those same people that complain about him being the GM, consistently buy tickets and merchandise, which in turn keeps Carl employed. It's kinda like biting off your nose to spite your face. It's really quite simple, don't want Carl in KC, stop buying the crapola he is selling.

milkman
03-17-2005, 05:19 AM
I am just at a loss for words!

I.....I.....I........**** it.
Carl ****in' Peterson sucks ass, and Lamar Hunt.
I hope they're ****in' happy together, ****in' assholes.
Big plus for the football fans of Mid America my ass.
Neither of of these cocksuckers give a flying rat's ass about the fans.

Mr. Kotter
03-17-2005, 05:25 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Unless, of course he signs Hartwell, and trades for Surtain this week. :hmmm:

nmt1
03-17-2005, 05:26 AM
I expected most Planateers to be happy about this because they'll continue to have their scapegoat.
It would be hard to hate a new GM in his first season though I think we could most definitly find a way.

deadbabyseal
03-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Dammit Lamar!!!!! :cuss:

KC Margarita Man
03-17-2005, 05:41 AM
I'm really ok with this. Sure Carl's a pompus ass clown, but who would be the alternative in Lamar's eyes, Jack Steadman? As a business man, Carl's great. Where he sucks the most is in player evaluation. This is where the Chiefs fail as an organization, and have since the departure of Terry Bradway. A lot of people complain about Carl's negotiating skiils, but I think Denny Thum is starting to handle more and more of the face-to-face negotiating with players and agents. Rejoice Chiefs fans. This gives all of us four more years of material to discuss on the planet

nmt1
03-17-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm really ok with this. Sure Carl's a pompus ass clown, but who would be the alternative in Lamar's eyes, Jack Steadman? As a business man, Carl's great. Where he sucks the most is in player evaluation. This is where the Chiefs fail as an organization, and have since the departure of Terry Bradway. A lot of people complain about Carl's negotiating skiils, but I think Denny Thum is starting to handle more and more of the face-to-face negotiating with players and agents. Rejoice Chiefs fans. This gives all of us four more years of material to discuss on the planet

Now here's someone who gets it. We're going to have our whipping boy for four more years. Life is good.

DaWolf
03-17-2005, 05:54 AM
This also paves the way for Saunders to be the next head coach. So much for King and Dick riding off in the sunset together.
Carl has always sounded lukewarm to that. Vermeil is the one really pushing for it. If the team isn't winning, Carl's gonna have a tough time getting the fans to buy into that hire.

This is a disappointment in many ways. I was hoping any contract extension would be contingent on us seriously contending for a super bowl this year. If we don't then it is basically 7 out of the last 8 crap seasons for Carl. I'd be all for it had we contended this year. It's way too early to be handing out this extension right now, especially after the Rolle blunder...

Ultra Peanut
03-17-2005, 05:55 AM
This makes a little piece of me want this team to become the Los Angeles Aztecs.

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 06:07 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

This is like a bad ****ing dream.

We haven't won a playoff game in 12 years and this incompetant, clueless, cheap, asshole is resigned again?

**** YOU LAMAR HUNT YOU ASS LICKER

the Kansas City Bengals

:cuss:

he's done nothing to deserve anything but an asskicking

KANSAS CITY, HOME OF MEDIOCRITY

this is a black day

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 06:09 AM
THERE IS NO GOD

The Bad Guy
03-17-2005, 06:12 AM
This just proves that Lamar cares more about filling his bank account more than winning championships.

1 winning season since 1999 and he's rewarded with an extension, zero playoff wins since 1993, but these jackasses keep talking about how he "returned the Chiefs to the upper echelon in the 90s".

Someone should tell these stupid bastards that it's 2005 and no one cares about the 90s anymore.

Un-****ing-believable.

Mr. Kotter
03-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Now here's someone who gets it. We're going to have our whipping boy for four more years. Life is good.

You have GOT to be Carl's lover--admit it....come on, out of the closet.

:shake:

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 06:17 AM
this is officially the worst offseason ever

Archie F. Swin
03-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Do I smell a 4 year plan?!

Raiders

Mr. Kotter
03-17-2005, 06:20 AM
this is officially the worst offseason ever

Especially if you end up havin' to blow CP....when he signs Hartwell and trades for Surtain. :p

KCTitus
03-17-2005, 06:26 AM
I must admit, Im disappointed with this news...I was fully prepared to begin anew with new GM/Coach next year after a 4-12 season that has been determined already and a top 5 draft pick that the new GM screws up because he (or she) didnt listen to the Planet.

Oh well...

trndobrd
03-17-2005, 06:26 AM
And all you jokers had the gall to criticize Carl Peterson for not working hard on contract negotiations during the off season.

nmt1
03-17-2005, 06:28 AM
This just proves that Lamar cares more about filling his bank account more than winning championships.

1 winning season since 1999 and he's rewarded with an extension, zero playoff wins since 1993, but these jackasses keep talking about how he "returned the Chiefs to the upper echelon in the 90s".

Someone should tell these stupid bastards that it's 2005 and no one cares about the 90s anymore.

Un-****ing-believable.

I guess now you can "stop following them so closely."

The Bad Guy
03-17-2005, 06:30 AM
I guess now you can "stop following them so closely."
I guess you can continue to be happy with the "8 games they owe you a year."

nmt1
03-17-2005, 06:31 AM
I guess you can continue to be happy with the "8 games they owe you a year".

I get all of them. I've got the Ticket.

PastorMikH
03-17-2005, 06:33 AM
This is a bad way to start off my day. I'm heading off the help a guy in the church finish up a metal barn. I'll probably fall off the roof now or sever some fingers with a sheet of metal. This is not good.:shake:

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 06:36 AM
This is a bad way to start off my day. I'm heading off the help a guy in the church finish up a metal barn. I'll probably fall off the roof now or sever some fingers with a sheet of metal. This is not good.:shake:

since we now have proof that God hates the Chiefs he'll probably strike you with lightning...be careful

Claynus
03-17-2005, 06:37 AM

That's fine. They make some amazing prosthetics these days.

Ultra Peanut
03-17-2005, 06:41 AM
THERE IS NO GODThat's what I said on Saturday!

Ultra Peanut
03-17-2005, 06:41 AM
And all you jokers had the gall to criticize Carl Peterson for not working hard on contract negotiations during the off season.Oh ho ho, you asshole, you!

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-17-2005, 06:42 AM
I get all of them. I've got the Ticket.Sucker!

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Can we set the background of Chiefsplanet to black, in mourning for this King-Kong-ball-crushing move by Lamar?

Skip Towne
03-17-2005, 06:57 AM
This just proves what a great negotiator he is. What a tough SOB!!

Gaz
03-17-2005, 07:00 AM
I would have been okay with Peterson leaving with Vermeil.

However, I am okay with Peterson staying.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprisingly ambivalent.

ROYC75
03-17-2005, 07:09 AM
And all you jokers had the gall to criticize Carl Peterson for not working hard on contract negotiations during the off season.

ROFL Bet those negotiations went smoothly ! ROFL

philfree
03-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I would have been okay with Peterson leaving with Vermeil.

However, I am okay with Peterson staying.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprisingly ambivalent.

I actually beleive that Carl & Co. have their collective eye focused on the prize right now so I can live with it. Yeah I know if I don't Carl's only objective is to pull the wool over our eyes I'm a big homer. So I wear a scarlet "H" on my Chiefs Planet sweater :shrug:

PhilFree :arrow:

Bwana
03-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Some place Packfan Ken is sitting in a corner kicking his own azz and getting ready to jump. :)

Iowanian
03-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Futher Mucker.

digi2fish
03-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Long Live Dammit Carl.

Saulbadguy
03-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I actually beleive that Carl & Co. have their collective eye focused on the prize right now so I can live with it. Yeah I know if I don't Carl's only objective is to pull the wool over our eyes I'm a big homer. So I wear a scarlet "H" on my Chiefs Planet sweater :shrug:

PhilFree :arrow:

I agree. They seemed focused right now on getting the right guys. I'm not too upset about this, but I would be if we are a one and done in the playoffs next season, or god for bid we don't make them at all.

ROYC75
03-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Futher Mucker.

:eek: Is this all ? I expected more ! ROFL

Hello, where is Iowanian, hello, somebody check on him, he's to quite.

Iowanian
03-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Iowanian is on the way out....may choose to expound more later in the day.

Carl must be the guy who puts in Lamar's catheter, and lubes it with his mouth.

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 07:30 AM

ROFL

holy shit....

HC_Chief
03-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Unreal.
It further propogates the "all Lamar & the Chiefs care about is making $" myth IMO.

Why else would you extend the contract of an unsuccessful prick such as Carl Peterson? Drafting has been terrible, FA moves have been mediocre at best, and success on the field has been rare since Marty left. Hell, ZERO SB appearances. ONE Conference Championship appearance - and it was over a decade ago. No playoff wins in over a decade. ONE playoff appearance since 1997.

But ticket prices kept going up. Parking prices kept increasing. Halftime/Pre-Game "entertainment" still sucks ass.

I guess if people are stupid enough to keep shelling out their $ for a mediocre product, why strive to put anything better out there? The little piggies keep slurping up the slop they're being fed... and asking for seconds.

the Talking Can
03-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Why else would you extend the contract of an unsuccessful prick such as Carl Peterson? Drafting has been terrible, FA moves have been mediocre at best, and success on the field has been rare since Marty left. Hell, ZERO SB appearances. ONE Conference Championship appearance - and it was over a decade ago. No playoff wins in over a decade. ONE playoff appearance since 1997.

what do you mean? that's a super awesome resume!

Archie F. Swin
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
so...um... if anyone is giving up their season tix in protest.....my address is.....

htismaqe
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Welcome Al Saunders, head coach of the Chiefs...

:banghead:

Brando
03-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Why did they have to ruin a fun day of drinking, basketball, and Bud Selig's toupee answering questions before Congress with this shit?

HC_Chief
03-17-2005, 07:52 AM
so...um... if anyone is giving up their season tix in protest.....my address is.....

That's the problem right there - people still want to give money to this pack of assclowns. Gee, I wonder why they haven't busted their asses trying to win a SB?

When you can make tens of millions off token effort, why go the extra mile?

Quite a scam. I'm glad I don't participate in it... they aren't seeing one red cent from me or my family. 4321

RedNFeisty
03-17-2005, 08:01 AM

LMFAO!

Makes me think of Mr. Burns and his little gay side kick/assistant...now wondering just how far off the reality really is. That is the only reason why I would see Carl still around. I can't ****ing believe he is going to be around another four years. That just ****ing pisses me off.

Coach
03-17-2005, 08:11 AM

ROFL

Classic!

Phobia
03-17-2005, 08:37 AM
I expected most Planateers to be happy about this because they'll continue to have their scapegoat.
It would be hard to hate a new GM in his first season though I think we could most definitly find a way.

You may not be a smart man, but you know what dumb is....

CosmicPal
03-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Why did they have to ruin a fun day of drinking, basketball, and Bud Selig's toupee answering questions before Congress with this shit?

To give you another legitimate reason to drink?

Thig Lyfe
03-17-2005, 10:18 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

bogie
03-17-2005, 10:37 AM
I've been concerned the Chiefs were going to move out of KC. This tells me the Kansas City Chiefs will remain the Kansas City Chiefs for a while longer. I've been unimpressed with our record, but believe we're going to have a good season this year. Win or lose, I love the game! I wish we would win but I have no control over that. It is what it is. I'm not going to let this ruin my passion. Go Chiefs!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2005, 10:40 AM
4 MORE YEARS!......4 MORE YEARS!.......4 MORE YEARS!

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Not the first time I've said those exact same words in the last six months. However it doesn't hurt nearly as much this time around.

Iowanian
03-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm Serious.

What in the hell is Carl Peterson doing Negotiating HIS OWN contract during Free Agency? If that Flat Peckered clown spent half the effort to field a champ, instead of a contender, that he does his own contract(yes...I understand why)....

What is the Most Outraging is the fact that the prickbutter hasn't fielded a playoff victory in a decade, the coaching staff is on the way out, and it'll soon be time to rebuild.

I can see no concievable reason why an owner would give him an extention.

How many GMs in the league, have More years without a playoff win, without being Fired?

This Suks after-gym Baows.

Lamar.......I've always been thankful for my Chiefs......But Fug you for doing this to Chief fans...again.

That'll give him an even 20 years on the 5 year plan?