PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney Teams We Hate

siberian khatru
03-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Too long to post the whole thing, but here's some choice excerpts:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2114937/nav/ais/

University of North Carolina, Atlantic Coast Conference, No. 1 in Syracuse Region

As a flatlander, I typically root against the entire Atlantic seaboard, or, when I'm in a more expansive mood, everyone east of the Mississippi and west of the Rockies. Picking just one team out of 65 to root against is normally a challenge. But this year I'm focusing my hate.

Watching Roy Williams lead North Carolina to a national championship after he tortured my beloved Kansas Jayhawks for 15 seasons would ruin my favorite time of the year. I watched Roy cry when he lost in the second round as a No. 1 seed to UTEP and to Rhode Island. I watched him cry when he lost, five times, to the eventual NCAA champion. I watched him cry when he went home to coach his alma mater. I don't want to watch him cry as he cuts down the nets for the first time with somebody else. Instead, I'd like to watch him cry as he does something else he's never done in his coaching career: Lose in the first round. Cry, Roy, cry, in shame and humiliation, as your team is felled by the 13-18 Oakland Golden Grizzlies.

If Roy and the Tar Heels do make a title run, I hope they meet Eddie Sutton and Oklahoma State in the championship game. It would be a matchup of the Marty Schottenheimer and Chuck Knox of college hoopsóa Thunderdome battle to determine the Best Coach Without a Title. At tip-off, Sutton and Williams would be tied with 40 tournament wins and no championships. And when the buzzer sounds, Roy will be alone, the Winningest Loser of them all.óChris Suellentrop

Syracuse University, Big East Conference, No. 4 in Austin Region

Jim Boeheim is a single-minded dweeb. If you cut open his shiny, bald skull and looked at his brain under a microscope, you would see that the neurons are permanently frozen in a 2-3 zone. Every day at breakfast, while he reads the morning papers, he sucks the air out of two fresh basketballs using a custom-made straw. Then he bathes in basketball holy water, hauled into his home from wells in Springfield, Mass. Afterward, he flosses his teeth with a basketball net. He smiles in the mirror, and his mouth squeaks like a gym. His false teeth are carved from the same wood as the floor of the Carrier Dome.

Stanford University, Pacific-10 Conference, No. 8 in Austin Region

Why, yes, I did know that Tiger Woods went to Stanford. Yes, and John Elway, too.

Forty-seven Olympic medals from 1990 to 2002? And 71 team championships since 1980? And 14 Nobel Prize winners? You really are good at counting.

What's that? Did you mention your SAT scores? Yes, you did. Several times. Why am I smiling? It's just so cute how much you like to talk about them.

No, I haven't seen you play this year. Sorry.

No, no, don't tell me. Let me guess. You have a white guy with very important hair? Is he named "Casey" again? And how many "Academic All-Americans" do you have?

It's going to be so hard for you on Sunday, won't it? When Duke beats you? That must really hurtólike when your frat brother stole your girlfriend? Fifty weeks a year, you tell yourselves you're the only great school with great sportsóand then the Blue Devils show up. Yes, I know you won an NCAA titleójust like Duke. But wasn't yours in 1942?óDavid Plotz

Texas Tech University, Big 12 Conference, No. 6 in Albuquerque Region

The only Texas Tech alumni I can name other than me played football or shot Ronald Reagan. Lubbock was a wondrous place to eat meat or hear a band, but uglier than a group "before" shot from The Swan. There's a reason all the postcards show Buddy Holly or a bale of cotton. Lubbock is flatter than whichever Olsen twin doesn't eat and has all the greenery of the moon. Even the sky gets ugly this time of year. The winds kick up loose topsoil from the South Plains cotton fields and everythingócars, teeth, blondesóturns the color of dry dirt.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I will always hate UNC and Duke more than the devil himself. Although I'd love to have Mike Krzywhatthehell as KU's coach.

Braincase
03-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I hate the "U" schools. It's like people feel a need to contract long school names because hey can't pronounce or spell Connecticut or Massachusetts. I hate UConn and UMass. The first time I heard people talking about UConn, I thought they were into some team from Anchorage or Juneau. Yes they do play basketball in Alaska... but their best player ever is heading to Kansas.

Oh, and I hate LSU, but that has to do primarily with my affinity for Wichita State baseball.

ChiefsCountry
03-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I hate North Carolina and Duke with a passion. Also I hate all the ACC and Big East schools. They get way to much pub.

HC_Chief
03-17-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't hate any of them.

I seriously dislike Cincy... Huggins is a frigging scumbag cheat.

I dislike Duke because they've kept my Jayhawks from winning at least 2 NC in the past 20 years. (I respect them though - clean program, play hard, play smart, solid, good school)

I dislike UNC because I know a bunch of shithead TarHeel fans that think UNC is God's gift to NCAA hoops. We all know it was a Jayhawk who built that program ;) Plus, Huckleberry Hound is now coaching them... I would love nothing more than to watch KU beat UNC in the tourney this year.

I think Bobby Knight is a prick.

SCTrojan
03-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I despise fUCLA and everything associated with that pukey school in Westwood. I hate them with the fiery intensity of a thousand suns.

Excuse me, there's a fUCLA grad on my porch. He wants money for the pizza he delivered.

Mr. Kotter
03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Mizzou.... :cuss:

Oh, wait....they didn't make it. :hmmm:

chiefs4me
03-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't hate any basketball teams....now I do hate one certain football team and a couple of hockey teams, but no basketball teams.:thumb:

chiefs4me
03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Mizzou.... :cuss:

Oh, wait....they didn't make it. :hmmm:

:rolleyes:

let's play nice today...;)

Bearcat
03-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I hate Vermont.

Syracuse wins, and they could do some damage.

Do you know what Vermont will do to my bracket if they win?

I hate Florida whenever they get into the tournament. Didn't like 95% of the nation pick them to lose to #12 Manhattan, and they couldn't even prove all of us wrong?

I hate Oakland, because they're the reason conference tournaments suck. Then what do they go and do? Actually win the play-in game. How dare them!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I know this thread is related to the teams we hate in the NCAA tourney but I am going to talk about my hopes for this tourney. See I have faithfully followed the Washington Huskies ever since I was 12 years old. That was in 1989. A little homework will tell you that they haven't done jack sh*t since then and jack left town. Unless you call the sweet sixteen appearance when they lost by 1 point to UConn in 1998 an accomplishment. This year while everyone says just how much the Huskies are overrated and how they're gonna lose in the 2nd round to Pitt I will say that the ONLY team in the Albequerque region that has a chance to beat them is Wake. Louisville you say? Keep this in mind, Lorenzo Romar (UW head coach) has NEVER lost to Rick Pitino and I don't think that will change this year. In addition somehow I think if UW was seeded 2 and Wake was seeded 1, there wouldn't be nearly so many people talking about how horrible the Huskies the are. They have won some top quality games this year including beating NCSU in their house. They also won the Great Alaskan Shootout to start the season beating some pretty good teams including Oklahoma. In conclusion I challenge you to remember this, just because you are in bed when we play, doesn't mean that we can't ball!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!

siberian khatru
03-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I grew up in North Carolina in the 1970s and was weaned on ACC hoops, so I still pull for UNC, Duke, State and Wake. (Back then, they all used to play each other at the beginning of the year in what was called the Big Four Tournament, but eventually discontinued it because it was too intense -- they were burning themselves out too soon.)

I understand why folks dislike Carolina and Duke (esp. Duke, since they really aren't Southern but full of snot-nosed Northeasterners). But it's in my blood, and I'll cheer 'em on.

This is the one time I wish Raiders Rock were still here. He understood.

chiefs4me
03-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Too long to post the whole thing, but here's some choice excerpts:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2114937/nav/ais/

University of North Carolina, Atlantic Coast Conference, No. 1 in Syracuse Region

As a flatlander, I typically root against the entire Atlantic seaboard, or, when I'm in a more expansive mood, everyone east of the Mississippi and west of the Rockies. Picking just one team out of 65 to root against is normally a challenge. But this year I'm focusing my hate.

Watching Roy Williams lead North Carolina to a national championship after he tortured my beloved Kansas Jayhawks for 15 seasons would ruin my favorite time of the year. I watched Roy cry when he lost in the second round as a No. 1 seed to UTEP and to Rhode Island. I watched him cry when he lost, five times, to the eventual NCAA champion. I watched him cry when he went home to coach his alma mater. I don't want to watch him cry as he cuts down the nets for the first time with somebody else. Instead, I'd like to watch him cry as he does something else he's never done in his coaching career: Lose in the first round. Cry, Roy, cry, in shame and humiliation, as your team is felled by the 13-18 Oakland Golden Grizzlies.

If Roy and the Tar Heels do make a title run, I hope they meet Eddie Sutton and Oklahoma State in the championship game. It would be a matchup of the Marty Schottenheimer and Chuck Knox of college hoopsóa Thunderdome battle to determine the Best Coach Without a Title. At tip-off, Sutton and Williams would be tied with 40 tournament wins and no championships. And when the buzzer sounds, Roy will be alone, the Winningest Loser of them all.óChris Suellentrop

Syracuse University, Big East Conference, No. 4 in Austin Region

Jim Boeheim is a single-minded dweeb. If you cut open his shiny, bald skull and looked at his brain under a microscope, you would see that the neurons are permanently frozen in a 2-3 zone. Every day at breakfast, while he reads the morning papers, he sucks the air out of two fresh basketballs using a custom-made straw. Then he bathes in basketball holy water, hauled into his home from wells in Springfield, Mass. Afterward, he flosses his teeth with a basketball net. He smiles in the mirror, and his mouth squeaks like a gym. His false teeth are carved from the same wood as the floor of the Carrier Dome.

Stanford University, Pacific-10 Conference, No. 8 in Austin Region

Why, yes, I did know that Tiger Woods went to Stanford. Yes, and John Elway, too.

Forty-seven Olympic medals from 1990 to 2002? And 71 team championships since 1980? And 14 Nobel Prize winners? You really are good at counting.

What's that? Did you mention your SAT scores? Yes, you did. Several times. Why am I smiling? It's just so cute how much you like to talk about them.

No, I haven't seen you play this year. Sorry.

No, no, don't tell me. Let me guess. You have a white guy with very important hair? Is he named "Casey" again? And how many "Academic All-Americans" do you have?

It's going to be so hard for you on Sunday, won't it? When Duke beats you? That must really hurtólike when your frat brother stole your girlfriend? Fifty weeks a year, you tell yourselves you're the only great school with great sportsóand then the Blue Devils show up. Yes, I know you won an NCAA titleójust like Duke. But wasn't yours in 1942?óDavid Plotz

Texas Tech University, Big 12 Conference, No. 6 in Albuquerque Region

The only Texas Tech alumni I can name other than me played football or shot Ronald Reagan. Lubbock was a wondrous place to eat meat or hear a band, but uglier than a group "before" shot from The Swan. There's a reason all the postcards show Buddy Holly or a bale of cotton. Lubbock is flatter than whichever Olsen twin doesn't eat and has all the greenery of the moon. Even the sky gets ugly this time of year. The winds kick up loose topsoil from the South Plains cotton fields and everythingócars, teeth, blondesóturns the color of dry dirt.

Are you in Texas? It is beautiful here today, when is the last time you were here? Let's not be hating on Tx today. Okay:harumph:

chiefs4me
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I know this thread is related to the teams we hate in the NCAA tourney but I am going to talk about my hopes for this tourney. See I have faithfully followed the Washington Huskies ever since I was 12 years old. That was in 1989. A little homework will tell you that they haven't done jack sh*t since then and jack left town. Unless you call the sweet sixteen appearance when they lost by 1 point to UConn in 1998 an accomplishment. This year while everyone says just how much the Huskies are overrated and how they're gonna lose in the 2nd round to Pitt I will say that the ONLY team in the Albequerque region that has a chance to beat them is Wake. Louisville you say? Keep this in mind, Lorenzo Romar (UW head coach) has NEVER lost to Rick Pitino and I don't think that will change this year. In addition somehow I think if UW was seeded 2 and Wake was seeded 1, there wouldn't be nearly so many people talking about how horrible the Huskies the are. They have won some top quality games this year including beating NCSU in their house. They also won the Great Alaskan Shootout to start the season beating some pretty good teams including Oklahoma. In conclusion I challenge you to remember this, just because you are in bed when we play, doesn't mean that we can't ball!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!

I have been following them somewhat this year and have grown to like them. I also joined both chiefplanets pickem teams and chose them for the F 4.....hope they don't let me down.:thumb:

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I have been following them somewhat this year and have grown to like them. I also joined both chiefplanets pickem teams and chose them for the F 4.....hope they don't let me down.:thumb:

Me too. I hope you are rewarded for what appears to be going out on a limb. Montana is gettin blown out by around 30 today in just under 2 hours.

Bearcat
03-17-2005, 11:38 AM
chose them for the F 4.....hope they don't let me down.:thumb:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:e7es6yNr82UJ:perso.wanadoo.fr/kwik-e-simpsons/wallpapers/nelson-800x600.gif

Cochise
03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Kansas, Illinois, Texas,

whoman69
03-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't hate any of them.

I seriously dislike Cincy... Huggins is a frigging scumbag cheat.

I dislike Duke because they've kept my Jayhawks from winning at least 2 NC in the past 20 years. (I respect them though - clean program, play hard, play smart, solid, good school)

I dislike UNC because I know a bunch of shithead TarHeel fans that think UNC is God's gift to NCAA hoops. We all know it was a Jayhawk who built that program ;) Plus, Huckleberry Hound is now coaching them... I would love nothing more than to watch KU beat UNC in the tourney this year.

I think Bobby Knight is a prick.
I agree with you about Cincy, but I don't dislike them. I hate them. Does Huggins still hold his streak of never having graduated a single player?

Saulbadguy
03-17-2005, 12:07 PM
I hate Blow U. I hate the Longwhorens.

Other than that, I don't really hate anyone.