PDA

View Full Version : Steroid use... Baseball vs. Football

tk13
03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Which one of these sports do you think steroid use is more rampant in, percentage-wise? Just curious...

EDIT: Let me make it clear that this hasn't nothing to do with "testing" and enforcement of policies. The question is which sport do you think the use of the drugs is more common in.

tk13
03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
From the other thread...

If you're going with the basic anabolics that can be found by damn near any drug test I'd say baseball.

If you're going with designer stuff I'd bet it's pretty equal among all the sports where strength and stamina are key.

While I think there are dungs in all sports, I think Football for the most part is pretty clean. The reason for that is not everyone can be a Lawrence Taylor , different body types play different positions.

Cochise
03-17-2005, 01:48 PM
It's worth pointing out that football has also had some semblance of testing in recent years. Just ask Mike Cloud

tk13
03-17-2005, 01:56 PM
It's worth pointing out that football has also had some semblance of testing in recent years. Just ask Mike Cloud
I did not ask about a "testing" program and "enforcement" of a program, and I use those quotes loosely, I was asking which sport do you believe has more steroid use?

Cochise
03-17-2005, 02:39 PM
I did not ask about a "testing" program and "enforcement" of a program, and I use those quotes loosely, I was asking which sport do you believe has more steroid use?

I would logically assume that it probably happens more in the sport that pretends it doesn't happen rather than the one that suspends people for it.

Kyle401
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I would logically assume that it probably happens more in the sport that pretends it doesn't happen rather than the one that suspends people for it.

Add in the fact that the suspension is served w/o pay and the deterrent is pretty strong.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2005, 03:03 PM
% wise ... gotta be baseball i would think

no drug testing and less players

what like 52 players on a football team and 22 players for baseball

tk13
03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
% wise ... gotta be baseball i would think

no drug testing and less players

what like 52 players on a football team and 22 players for baseball
Football: 53 total, 46(?) active

Baseball: 40 man roster, 25 on the active big league roster until Sept. 1... when it goes to 40.

That's actually a pretty good point though. Still, I see it like almost every position on the football has athletes looking to get bigger and stronger. In baseball, you have some mashers, but there are also a ton of guys like Omar Vizquel and Edgar Renteria and all kinds of lanky pitchers... I mean really, how many guys are there like Mike MacDougal in the NFL? None...

keg in kc
03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I think it's probably rampant in both sports, the players on the football side are more adept at masking it because of their more stringent rules.

ChiefsOne
03-17-2005, 03:13 PM
I really believe football. I think there are ways around the testing and off season. Do you really think people can be that big and fast with no help?

15 years ago most linemen weighed around 280. Now most are around 320.

Brock
03-17-2005, 03:14 PM
15 years ago most linemen weighed around 280. Now most are around 320.

They aren't more muscular. they're just fatter.