PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra

Ghostof
03-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Anyone have one? Going to shop for one tomorrow and wanted opinions.

Dick Bull
03-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Dude, who did you piss off to get so much neg rep?

Bwana
03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Decent vehicles, just stay away from Ben Dover Auto Sales!

Soupnazi
03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
The Nissan Titan is a better truck if you're going non-domestic, IMO.

JimNasium
03-18-2005, 08:35 AM
My brother has one and is quite happy with it. I prefer the look of the Titan.

Frosty
03-18-2005, 08:38 AM
The guy I work with has one (a 2001). 4WD, V8, extended cab. He's a die hard Toyota fan, but he's gotten a little frustrated with it. He's had to replace the transmission (took almost three weeks for the dealer to do it) and recently lost the fuel pump, which cost almost $600 to replace.

I'm also looking for a full size truck. I really wanted to like the Tundra, but they are just too uncomfortable and the back seat too small (the crew cab is too much money and the bed ends up being too small). If I end up getting a pickup, I am probably going to get a Silverado.

Cochise
03-18-2005, 08:45 AM
I like those Tacomas a lot, I think one of those might be my next vehicle if I don't go with a car.

HemiEd
03-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I like the American trucks better. The Silverado is a great truck and so is the Ford.

Mark M
03-18-2005, 08:53 AM
The Nissan Titan is a better truck if you're going non-domestic, IMO.
Yep.

Also, give the new Honda Ridgeline a chance. It may look a bit like an Avalanche, but it's a unibody (making for a better ride), gets better gas mileage than the big trucks, has an under-the-bed lockable trunk that can hold a 72-gallon cooler, tows 5K lbs, and is a Honda, so you know it'll be reliable.

Once I get $27K for a new vehicle, I'm so getting one.

MM
~~:drool:

Hoover
03-18-2005, 08:55 AM
I love my toyota car, but Think I'd buy a Dodge, Chevy or Ford Truck.

NewChief
03-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Toyota Tacos, Land Cruisers, and 4Runners are awesome. I don't know about the Tundra. I've heard mixed reviews on it.

redhed
03-18-2005, 09:19 AM
My buddy got a Titan (ouch). A very nice truck. Sounds like a real badass right off the lot.
Don't know much about the Tundra...full sized?

Pennywise
03-18-2005, 09:22 AM
The guy I work with has one (a 2001). 4WD, V8, extended cab. He's a die hard Toyota fan, but he's gotten a little frustrated with it. He's had to replace the transmission (took almost three weeks for the dealer to do it) and recently lost the fuel pump, which cost almost $600 to replace.

The fuel pump went out probably from all the ****ing gas it guzzles.

I just rolled 260k miles on my Tacoma.

NewChief
03-18-2005, 09:25 AM

That Toyota V6 just keeps on going and going and going. Not sure if the V8 is quite as dependable.

Skip Towne
03-18-2005, 09:27 AM

ROFL

Cochise
03-18-2005, 09:30 AM

Yeah I get 22mpg or so now, with a V6 pickup, but I don't want to go much lower than that. Luckily I only have to commute like 10 miles.

morphius
03-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I prefer the look of the Tundra over the Titan, I really hate the front end of the Titan. Being that arc's friend has the second year of the fullsize Toyota, one would have to think they have improved it since then, I mean, we are not talking Ford or Dodge here.

Damn I wish I had money...

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Anyone have one? Going to shop for one tomorrow and wanted opinions.
I have a Tacoma and I absolutely love it. It's an '01 that I've had for two years and it hasn't needed one single repair yet. Regular maintenance is all it needs.

Frosty
03-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I prefer the look of the Tundra over the Titan, I really hate the front end of the Titan. Being that arc's friend has the second year of the fullsize Toyota, one would have to think they have improved it since then, I mean, we are not talking Ford or Dodge here.

Damn I wish I had money...

I'm sure the quality has improved and the problems may even be an anomoly.

With the $2000 rebate on current Tundras, I was really interested. A couple of things I didn't like:

Even with the V8, it felt really underpowered.

The seats are not very supportive. The bottom of the seats almost feel like they tilt forward a little. I thought this was just because John's truck was older, but it was the same in the new one I test drove.

The seating position is weird. I really felt like I was sitting right against the door. My shoulder rested on the window while I was driving, sitting straight up.

The back seat in the extended cab is very cramped. I've seen roomier extended cabs in smaller pickups.

I also agree that the Tacos are really reliable, though they have had some new model issues on the 2005.

BTW, the Titans have had quite a few issues too, probably because they are a new model. Nissan's quality seems to have suffered since their take-over by Renault.

A good place to check out problems, prices paid, etc is at edmunds.com, in the forums section.

Ghostof
03-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm so upside down on my 99 Jimmy that I just want to get rid of it. Earlier this week I was at a Pricechopper getting dinner, got back out to my truck and it wouldnt start. It was acting like it was out of gas, but I just filled it up that morning. I called a friend of mine and he came out with a hammer, beat on the fuel tank a few times, and then the damn Jimmy started right up. Fuel pump was going out and needed to be changed. I've had more problems with brakes going out, front and back wheel bearings needing to be replaced three times, ball joints, u joints, you name it.

I should have bought something else back in '02, but I needed to hurry and get rid of the T-bird I had. Earlier that morning, the mechanic said "whatever you do, dont turn it off, because the starter is going out." That was the least of my problems. Almost 200k miles on it and it was a '95 V-8 coupe..and the front end needed to be replaced. I mean the ball joints, u joints all that shit was damn near shot. All total, was close to $1400 worth of labor and parts. After work I drove up to the nearest Chevy dealer and decided I had to find something on their lot. After 2 hours of discussions I broke down and bought the Jimmy. The Tbird had been paid off and they took it in as a down payment. As they were getting the paperwork ready, the salesman said "why dont you drive it around back and lets do the finalization of this." I just knew it wouldnt start, but I was wrong. It started on the first turn. I drove it around back, turned it off again. We went back in, they checked the vehicle over, started it up, turned it off, and we signed the papers.

As we were leaving, the salesman went back out to move it and it wouldnt start LOL...oops.

Frosty
03-25-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm also looking for a full size truck. If I end up getting a pickup, I am probably going to get a Silverado.

Finally got it. 2005 Z71 4x4 with the 5.3L H.O. V8.

Darkwolfe
03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Import trucks? :shake:

Import peanut cars for good gas mileage are ok.

Real Trucks.. Ford, Dodge, and (in some cases) Chevy.

I don't know.. The thought of Toy making a full size truck just sounds like a blasphemous idea.

stevieray
03-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Yep.

Also, give the new Honda Ridgeline a chance. It may look a bit like an Avalanche, but it's a unibody (making for a better ride), gets better gas mileage than the big trucks, has an under-the-bed lockable trunk that can hold a 72-gallon cooler, tows 5K lbs, and is a Honda, so you know it'll be reliable.

Once I get $27K for a new vehicle, I'm so getting one.

MM
~~:drool:

Truck for Women....just like women put the four door accord on the map.

JazzzLovr
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Truck for Women....

You make that sound like a bad thing... :hmmm:

;)

stevieray
03-25-2005, 07:56 PM
You make that sound like a bad thing... :hmmm:

;)

It's a prediction.

Darkwolfe
03-25-2005, 08:00 PM
ah.. Screw the truck.. I'm with Frazod for a change...

My next wheels (Soon I hope!)
:thumb:

Mosbonian
03-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I've had my Tacoma for 2 years....I bought a Pre-runner Quad-cab with a 4 cylinder and get 26 miles to the gallon on the highway and 20 in the city....

mmaddog

dilligaf
03-25-2005, 08:22 PM
"Even with the V8, it felt really underpowered. "

Have you tried the 05 edition. It has 42 more HP. It might surprise you now. I agree with the old engine. Underpowered.

"I also agree that the Tacos are really reliable, though they have had some new model issues on the 2005."

Please elaborate, I'm very familar with this truck and am not aware of any "issues".

Taco John
03-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the nice compliments in this thread...

(I'll take em where I can get 'em) ;)

Frosty
03-25-2005, 09:06 PM
"Even with the V8, it felt really underpowered. "

Have you tried the 05 edition. It has 42 more HP. It might surprise you now. I agree with the old engine. Underpowered.

"I also agree that the Tacos are really reliable, though they have had some new model issues on the 2005."

Please elaborate, I'm very familar with this truck and am not aware of any "issues".

Yeah, it was an '05 that I drove.

There is a 2005+ Tacoma forum over on Edmunds.com where they discuss the various issues. I did so much research on so many different makes that I don't remember exactly. Scanning just now brings up water leaks, excessive wind noise, 4x4 problems, squeaking suspension - nothing earth-shattering, though it seemed to be centered on the trucks built in Mexico.

Didn't matter for me, though, since we decided the Tacoma was too small for our needs. At one point, I found a 2003 extracab, which I really liked, but couldn't subject my kids to the back "seat". Surprisingly, I hated the 2003 crew cab that they had. It was a total dog.

Joe Seahawk
03-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Nice Truck Arc.. That looks like Ellensburg/Cle-Elum area in the background.. Gods Country..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=39491&stc=1

Frosty
03-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Nice Truck Arc.. That looks like Ellensburg/Cle-Elum area in the background.. Gods Country..

Thank you, I really like it and got a smokin' deal.

God's country all right, but a little more east. I'm north of Colville, near the Canadian border.

Chan93lx50
03-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Is it just me or did Ford hit one hell of a homerun with the new mustang.

dilligaf
03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Yeah, it was an '05 that I drove.

There is a 2005+ Tacoma forum over on Edmunds.com where they discuss the various issues. I did so much research on so many different makes that I don't remember exactly. Scanning just now brings up water leaks, excessive wind noise, 4x4 problems, squeaking suspension - nothing earth-shattering, though it seemed to be centered on the trucks built in Mexico.

Didn't matter for me, though, since we decided the Tacoma was too small for our needs. At one point, I found a 2003 extracab, which I really liked, but couldn't subject my kids to the back "seat". Surprisingly, I hated the 2003 crew cab that they had. It was a total dog.
WOW, the 05 was underpowered for you, huh? I thought it went preatty good. :shake: The only problem I have heard from the Tacos we have sold was one guy who bought a reg cab without power windows and there was some wind noise that was corrected easily.

Spicy McHaggis
03-25-2005, 11:07 PM
My Dad's got one, he loves it. I drive it when I've got to haul anything and it handles great for a truck.

Frosty
03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
WOW, the 05 was underpowered for you, huh?

Keep in mind it was a 4x4. It wasn't that it was slow; it was more of a gearing thing or something. The power was irrelevant anyway, since the extracab is too small (and uncomfortable) and the crew cab too expensive.

I'm not knocking Toyotas. They just didn't fit our needs.

dilligaf
03-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Keep in mind it was a 4x4. It wasn't that it was slow; it was more of a gearing thing or something. The power was irrelevant anyway, since the extracab is too small (and uncomfortable) and the crew cab too expensive.

I'm not knocking Toyotas. They just didn't fit our needs.
They are on the smallish side.