PDA

View Full Version : Some Guys Should Be Shot....

CosmicPal
03-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading
By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer
4 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas - The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."

Cochise
03-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I bet a hundred dollars he's a democrat. You can tell because the article didn't identify his party.

Never let it be said that the prudes are all on the right side of the aisle.

Electric
03-18-2005, 11:01 AM
I understand your point, but I think I'd rather not have my little girl learning how to bump and grind while at a sporting event. If she decides to do that in life, let her learn it elsewhere.

Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading
By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer
4 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas - The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."

CosmicPal
03-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I understand your point, but I think I'd rather not have my little girl learning how to bump and grind while at a sporting event. If she decides to do that in life, let her learn it elsewhere.

Whether the cheerleaders are "bumping and grinding" doesn't matter. They are alluring creatures just standing there in their uniforms...There isn't a teenage boy that hasn't been at least fascinated by girls and pom-poms

Simplex3
03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm just fine with not letting some school teacher/coach visually pimp out under aged girls. That being said, it's the parents of those girls that should be putting a stop to it, not some crusty old guy in the capitol building.

Brock
03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
I bet a hundred dollars he's a democrat. You can tell because the article didn't identify his party.

Never let it be said that the prudes are all on the right side of the aisle.

Yep, he is.

Delano
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House.

Am I the only one that found that quote funny, coming from an old fart?

stumppy
03-18-2005, 11:12 AM
And just how the fug are they going to regulate this ??

Pants
03-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Doesn't this country have real problems? ****ing bored, old, limp-dicked bastards ruining it for everybody.

Cochise
03-18-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm just fine with not letting some school teacher/coach visually pimp out under aged girls. That being said, it's the parents of those girls that should be putting a stop to it, not some crusty old guy in the capitol building.

Well said, well said. Rep :thumb:

Kris Kringle
03-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Don't we need to see a video in order to make up our minds?

Skip Towne
03-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Doesn't this country have real problems? ****ing bored, old, limp-dicked bastards ruining it for everybody.
Watch it, sucker!!

Adept Havelock
03-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Puritan-
A person who lives in fear that someone, somewhere, is having a good time and enjoying themselves.

Damn over-zealous religious misanthropes.

munkey
03-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Speaking from experience (raising a 14 yr old cheerleader) I would have to agree to the rule....

I personally think movies like "Bring it on" didn't help matters either as alot of the routines the girls wanted to do were really meant for a dance team not a cheerleader squad.

Bob Dole
03-18-2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.house.state.tx.us/fx/grafx/photos/members/edwards.jpg

--------------------- POPULATION ---------------------
TOTAL ANGLO BLACK HISP B+H OTHER
DISTRICT 146 133,765 33,769 69,641 21,989 90,957 9,039

Pants
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Watch it, sucker!!

lol, it's OK Skip, your girlfriend told me last night you could still get it up...for 3 minutes.

InChiefsHell
03-18-2005, 11:44 AM
This thread is worthless without pics...

...somebody had to say it.

My daughter is trying out for the Dance team at her high school. I'm sure she will be doing some moves that I don't particularly like, but we are pretty close and we talk alot...luckily for me...so she knows what I expect of her. As far as the dancing, sadly that just seems to be the way things are these days...

Bob Dole
03-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Have your vision checked. There's a picture of Edwards in this thread.

For anyone who cares, here is the actual text of HB 1476.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to regulation of sexually suggestive performances at
certain public school events.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter D, Chapter 33, Education Code, is
amended by adding Section 33.088 to read as follows:
Sec. 33.088. SEXUALLY SUGGESTIVE PERFORMANCES PROHIBITED.
(a) A school dance team, drill team, cheerleading team, or similar
performance group may not perform in a sexually suggestive manner
at an athletic or other extracurricular event or competition
sponsored or approved by a school district or campus.
(b) A school performance group that violates Subsection (a)
may not perform for the remainder of the school year in which the
violation occurs.
(c) If the commissioner determines that a school district or
a campus in a school district knowingly permits a sexually
suggestive performance prohibited by Subsection (a) or knowingly
permits a school performance group to perform in violation of
Subsection (b), the commissioner shall reduce the funding the
district receives under Chapter 42 by an amount the commissioner
determines appropriate.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

Simplex3
03-18-2005, 11:48 AM

...somebody had to say it.

My daughter is trying out for the Dance team at her high school. I'm sure she will be doing some moves that I don't particularly like, but we are pretty close and we talk alot...luckily for me...so she knows what I expect of her. As far as the dancing, sadly that just seems to be the way things are these days...
I just don't get accepting things "because that's the way it is." It is the way it is because people are sitting around saying "that's the way it is" instead of changing it.

Drag yourself up to the school and talk to the administration and the coach. Ask them if sexually suggestive moves in skin tight clothes are appropriate for under age girls. Ask them where they draw the line with sexual exploitation of a minor.

If I put some of those routines on a web site I'll bet you I could get pediphiles to pay for it.

munkey
03-18-2005, 11:50 AM

High School YES but 7th & 8th grade NO....

The middle school my daughter attends is only about a half mile from the high school and she already has a couple of sophmore gomers that like her.

~I still think I'm being punished for my sins of the past :banghead: ~

Pants
03-18-2005, 11:53 AM
High School YES but 7th & 8th grade NO....

The middle school my daughter attends is only about a half mile from the high school and she already has a couple of sophmore gomers that like her.

~I still think I'm being punished for my sins of the past :banghead: ~

Tell her to stay away from those losers. Jeezus, have some self-respect. I can see sophomores going for the frehsmen, but middleschool girls? You gotta be desperate.

Rausch
03-18-2005, 12:01 PM
High school I don't have a problem with. Those kids are either adults or will be soon.

Grade school stuff should be grade school stuff...

Simplex3
03-18-2005, 12:03 PM
High school I don't have a problem with. Those kids are either adults or will be soon.

Grade school stuff should be grade school stuff...
I'd just as soon they wait until they're 18 before they ask them to do this type of thing.

CosmicPal
03-18-2005, 12:05 PM
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to regulation of sexually suggestive performances at
certain public school events.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter D, Chapter 33, Education Code, is
amended by adding Section 33.088 to read as follows:
Sec. 33.088. SEXUALLY SUGGESTIVE PERFORMANCES PROHIBITED.
(a) A school dance team, drill team, cheerleading team, or similar
performance group may not perform in a sexually suggestive manner
at an athletic or other extracurricular event or competition
sponsored or approved by a school district or campus.

If you've ever seen the film, American Beauty, where he's watching the cheerleader go through her routine- it was only in the figment of his lurid imagination that she was sexually suggestive. But, if you watched the actual dance routine, the girls were not doing anything sexually suggestive.

So, how the hell are you going to pull this off. Are they going to look around at middle-aged men and teenage boys during a routine, and if everyone's pupils enlarge- they are going to say they are breaking the law?

Hoover
03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
He's a Dem

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist146/edwards.htm

Gove him a call ask if he is gay!

Bob Dole
03-18-2005, 12:45 PM
So, how the hell are you going to pull this off. Are they going to look around at middle-aged men and teenage boys during a routine, and if everyone's pupils enlarge- they are going to say they are breaking the law?

Exactly.

Yet another law that would be open to "community standards" and inconsistent interpretation.

Not to mention that this is taking place in a state where a mother put out a hit on a rival cheerleader <i>from the same damned school</i>. You know damned good and well that parents are going to be filing bullshit complaints about other school's routines...

munkey
03-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Tell her to stay away from those losers. Jeezus, have some self-respect. I can see sophomores going for the frehsmen, but middleschool girls? You gotta be desperate.

YEP...I didn't grow up in a small town like the one I currently reside in but if this is what it's going to be like HS will be a biotch.

This year is under control but her first year in HS will be a challenge as she has ALOT of friends a year ahead of her.