PDA

View Full Version : GH on Whitlockgate

KingPriest2
03-18-2005, 12:47 PM
GH on Whitlockgate

Here’s what I know on Quitlock-gate...

It was all about money. Forget the “Entercom isn’t interested in competing” BS that JW spewed on his final broadcast. The important detail that he never mentioned during his on-air meltdown was that he had demanded Entercom double his salary. He told them since Bill Maas had left the show and he was basically the lone studio host, he wanted Maas’ salary to compensate him for his additional workload.

Both JW and Maas were making $120K a year from Entercom. JW demanded he be given an immediate $120K raise. They told him he had to fulfill his contract through June of 2006 and refused to negotiate.

The night before JW walked off his radio show, he phoned Bob Zuroweste, the former head of Entercom in KC who originally masterminded the Maas Exodus and hired the Big Dogs. JW asked Z if there was any way he could get out of his contract. Since Z was the guy who put the contract together, he would know of any loopholes. Bad news for JW. Z told him it was ironclad and his only recourse would be to quit and forego his salary.

Z was as shocked as everyone else when JW walked the next day. He didn’t think anybody would walk away from $120K knowing they also had a non-compete in place through June of 2006 with a clause to extend that non-compete for another 12 months. But that is just what JW did.

I don’t think JW thought out his departure very well. He now has clipped his income severely, with no real chance to recoup that income through the local media. Knowing JW, he’s thinking he can land a satellite radio gig and make Howard Stern money. He’s that foolish and that naive to think he’s got that kind of talent. It ain’t gonna happen.

What’s also interesting is that he is now relegated to being “only” a sports columnist for The Star. There was a time when this carried huge weight but those days have passed. He now has to wait 24 and sometimes 48 or 72 hours before he can expound his opinions on an event. Instead of having 20 hours a week in the cars and homes of hundreds of thousands of listeners, he now has 18 inches three or four times a week to only those who read The Star.

He has reduced his importance in this town by an almost immeasurable margin. I’m not sure he realized this when he decided to play tough guy and quit. But you can be sure it is starting to slowly sink into his hide that he is now relegated to JoPo status when it comes to opinions on the local sports scene. I think it will force him to either move out of town or lead to another meltdown at The Star. Either way, he remains a very interesting beat to cover.

GH

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/parallaxlook.htm

Bob Dole
03-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Hall conveniently ignores that little ESPN gig...

BigRedChief
03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Why should I care about Whitlocks career choices?
Mark me down as ZZZ

Cochise
03-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The less Whitless is on air spreading his poppycock the better.

KCTitus
03-18-2005, 01:00 PM

Havent seen him on there lately...I do find it somewhat humurous when his 'parting shot' is directed at the Chiefs when the other reporters dont relegate their shots to something so regional, but I digress.

KingPriest2
03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
The less Whitless is on air spreading his poppycock the better.

But he is better the Ali Chiefs conspiracy theorist brother KK

tomahawk kid
03-18-2005, 01:09 PM
But he is better the Ali Chiefs conspiracy theorist KK
Ali Chiefs = KK?

kc rush
03-18-2005, 01:21 PM
But he is better the Ali Chiefs conspiracy theorist brother KK

They both suck but I could tolerate KK in small doses (depending upon the subject).

Kris Kringle
03-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Good riddance Whitlock! Don't come back. We're better off without you. JACKASS!!!

Bob Dole
03-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Havent seen him on there lately...

There's a Page 2 article dated yesterday.

buddha
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
We are all richer for NOT having Fatlock on the air at all! Now, how can we get him to tell off the publisher at the KC Star?!!!

morphius
03-18-2005, 01:38 PM
There's a Page 2 article dated yesterday.
I think they are talking about "The Reporters" or whatever that stupid ESPN show is.

KCTitus
03-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I think they are talking about "The Reporters" or whatever that stupid ESPN show is.

Yes, the Sports Reporters show on Sunday's AM...

I just dont read espn.com cause I cant stand their website.

Spicy McHaggis
03-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Whitlock is only about Whitlock. I don't think he gives a flying **** about Kansas City. We're just a means to an end until he can land a gig on "Around the Horn" or on Sirus.

bkkcoh
03-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Whitlock is only about Whitlock. I don't think he gives a flying **** about Kansas City. We're just a means to an end until he can land a gig on "Around the Horn" or on Sirus.

Great, then we would have to see his ugly, bbq-sauce-on-the-chin mug on ATH..... It is bad enough with that transfer from Denver.... :banghead:

Bob Dole
03-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Who is they? Bob Dole made the initial ESPN comment.

Ow. Owowowow. Ow.

Damned head hurts now. Thanks.

Electric
03-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Because of Whitlock I switched from the KC Star to the Wichita newspaper.

He almost always took the stand against KC - Chiefs - Royals - etc.

Taco John
03-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I can't believe the drama you guys have with your local sports casters... What a scene...

Cochise
03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I can't believe the drama you guys have with your local sports casters... What a scene...

Imagine a whole city of people who take that Woody guy seriously.

Electric
03-18-2005, 02:30 PM

We like our sports casters. Whitlock is not a sportscaster. He is a columnist. When on the radio he isn't a sportscaster, he is a talk show host. In both cases he belongs somewhere other than KC. We can arrange a trade to Denver. Wouldn't be much of a trade you don't have anything worth trading. Denver remains worthless.

morphius
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Who is they? Bob Dole made the initial ESPN comment.

Ow. Owowowow. Ow.

Damned head hurts now. Thanks.
They = Titus, his sarcasm and my thoughts...

whoman69
03-18-2005, 03:36 PM
He'd make a heck of alot more money there, but is not really in demand. They only have him seemingly when some other regular cannot show up. I haven't seen him in weeks.

|Zach|
03-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Does anyone else ever feel sad for Hall this his whole schtick is ripping on Whitlock and other sports radio hosts?

|Zach|
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
idk, I have always liked Whitlock but I never listen to sports radio at all...I only read his stuff.

Phobia
03-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Does anyone else ever feel sad for Hall this his whole schtick is ripping on Whitlock and other sports radio hosts?

No.

You suck, Zach.

alanm
03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Zach, It isn't Greg Hall. Hall quit Platte County Landmark a couple of weeks ago. The one who wrote this is Brian Kubicki or something like that. BTW I miss Hall's weekly collumn. :(

kc rush
03-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Zach, It isn't Greg Hall. Hall quit Platte County Landmark a couple of weeks ago. The one who wrote this is Brian Kubicki or something like that. BTW I miss Hall's weekly collumn. :(

Kubicki wrote the column, but got those quotes from Hall.

|Zach|
03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
No.

You suck, Zach.
:)