PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I wanna smoke a ham

Fire Me Boy!
03-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Anybody have any brilliant suggestions on a great way to smoke a ham? I want to smoke a ham tomorrow or Sunday... but I need something good to do to it... anybody had any good experiences?

morphius
03-18-2005, 10:27 PM
I would try cigars first, they are easier to keep lit.

Fire Me Boy!
03-18-2005, 10:29 PM
I wondered how many posts it would take to get a reply like this...

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!

morphius
03-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I wondered how many posts it would take to get a reply like this...

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!
Well, if I had any useful help I would have offered that instead...

But I didn't want to let you down.

Fire Me Boy!
03-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, well, it got you a rep.

keg in kc
03-18-2005, 10:48 PM
What kind of equipment do you have?

Fire Me Boy!
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
It's awful early to ask something that personal, don't you think?

Verticle smoker, pretty large, about 36" square.

go bowe
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
it's kinda tough to get a ham into a pipe bowl... :bong:

have you considered a power hitter?

Fire Me Boy!
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Morphius already beat you to the smoking ref...

keg in kc
03-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Okay, I've had great success with this. Originally saw it on a Cookies' BBQ show on TV several years ago. Here's the original recipe:Double Smoked Ham (http://php1.secure-shopping.com/cookiesbbq/customer/product.php?productid=60&cat=23&page=2)

6-8 lb bone in ham with natural juices (may be spiral sliced)
1 cup Cookies Western Style BBQ Sauce
1 cup Cookies Original Style BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 Tbsp rose lime juice (may substitute real lemon or lime juice)

Set ham cut side down in 9 x 13 pan. Start your gas grill and heat up to 200-250. Make packet of hickory chips in foil. (About the size of your fist.) Poke several holes in the foil with a fork. Lay packet on lava rocks or flavorizer bars. Set pan with ham in on top of grates. Smoke for 3-4 hours. Make sure grill gets no hotter than 250. Drain off liquid and reserve for delicious ham gravy. Mix together the sauces, syrup and rose lime juice. Pour over ham in the pan and return to the grill. Have grill no hotter than 200. Leave on grill for approximately 45 minutes while you are making the ham gravy. Remove from grill. Slice and serve. Best ham you will ever eat!Okay, obviously that's written for a gas grill, but the cooking principles are the same; with my smoker I usually shot for 225 for the first four hours and then around 200 for the final 45 minutes, with the sauce. I didn't use Cookis' Sauce, either, I would just pick up two bottles of my favorite brand and flavor(s), mix it with the maple syrup and lime juice as the recipe asked.

Turned out amazing every time I did it. Really simple to do, really hard to f*ck up...

Fire Me Boy!
03-18-2005, 11:00 PM
That sounds really good... I'm not a big fan of Cookie's either, but some Gates or Zarda's sauce on it would be great. I also like Famous Dave's....... sue me, I like it. My wife's favorite is Zarda's sweet & zesty, so that's probably what we'll get. THANKS!

keg in kc
03-18-2005, 11:04 PM
This is like torture for me, man, my apartment complex doesn't allow smokers or grills, so my smoker's been sitting outside in the bushes for 18 months doing nothing but rusting. :grr:

Good luck, whatever you end up trying. Nothing's like a smoked ham. :drool:

Oxford
03-19-2005, 06:47 AM
This is like torture for me, man, my apartment complex doesn't allow smokers or grills, so my smoker's been sitting outside in the bushes for 18 months doing nothing but rusting. :grr:

Good luck, whatever you end up trying. Nothing's like a smoked ham. :drool:

Keg, repent-repent, and move away from the heathens.

If you are using a water smoker, rootbeer in the water pan and apple wood chips in the smoker are mighty fine too. The temps that keg uses are right on. If you want to speed up the cooking a little, put the ham in the oven at 175-200 to take the chill off, check the inside temp and move to the smoker when it gets to 95 degrees or so.

Another idea is to slather the ham with cherry preserves or honey while you are smoking it. Good eating, let it take its time and you'll be rewarded.

Over-Head
03-19-2005, 07:01 AM
I would try cigars first, they are easier to keep lit.

Monty Cristo #4 if you please :D

CrazyHorse
03-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Anybody have any brilliant suggestions on a great way to smoke a ham? I want to smoke a ham tomorrow or Sunday... but I need something good to do to it... anybody had any good experiences?

Is ham just another term for "hog leg"?

Cochise
03-19-2005, 07:38 AM
I can't help you with this but if you want to smoke a hog I'll PM you DC's address ;)

Over-Head
03-19-2005, 07:52 AM
I can't help you with this but if you want to smoke a hog I'll PM you DC's address ;)
Yer gonna need a shit load of zig-zag papers to roll up a hog :p

Skip Towne
03-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Yer gonna need a shit load of zig-zag papers to roll up a hog :p
How many papers are there in a shit load?

seclark
03-19-2005, 08:43 AM
How many papers are there in a shit load?
2big bunches = 1 shitload

keg's recipe is good, but i dont use any bbq sauce on mine, and replace the syrup w/brown sugar covered w/honey...cover that b@stard w/pinapple slices. a couple bottles of beer in the drip-pan, or on the coals durring cooking too.
sec