PDA

View Full Version : Why not take a shot at this CB?

carlos3652
03-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Renaldo Hill, cornerback: Arizona's Hill played in front of Duane Starks a year ago, and, yeah, Starks was hurt but Hill was the better player. He's a solid cover corner who had his best season in 2003 when he started 14 times and produced a career-best 67 tackles, two sacks and five interceptions. Critics don't like his size (he's 5-11, 194) and complain about his speed, saying he seems more suited as a nickel back, but he plays faster than he times. Plus, the guy is smart. With the cupboard of cornerbacks just about empty, Hill is worth a shot except ... except the Cardinals are interested in re-signing him. They have the cap room -- and the money -- to outbid someone like Seattle, which expressed interest after losing cornerback Lucas to Carolina.

If we cant get law or surtain he might be our last chance, i still think we are getting surtain... but how bout this guy as nickel? then we dont have to worry about a rookie at that position and the rookie doenst have to be spectacular his first season to have a great season on D?

Bowser
03-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Hell, why not indeed? I still say we should bring Dennis Weathersby in for a look-see, if he hasn't already found a new home.

Phobia
03-19-2005, 10:39 AM
If we can pay Bartee's grandchildren for shit, why not spread a little wealth in this guy's direction?

go bowe
03-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Why not take a shot at this CB?

pistol or shotgun?

trndobrd
03-19-2005, 10:40 AM
You make it sound like we could bring any starting NFL Corner Back in here and he would be better than........Oh, that's right. Let's give him a look.

Phobia
03-19-2005, 10:42 AM
You make it sound like we could bring any starting NFL Corner Back in here and he would be better than........Oh, that's right. Let's give him a look.

Heh heh. Pretty pathetic, huh? Craving the Cardinals' defensive free agents? That's almost as bad as signing a QB from the Arizona franchise.

trndobrd
03-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Heh heh. Pretty pathetic, huh? Craving the Cardinals' defensive free agents? That's almost as bad as signing a QB from the Arizona franchise.

Like craving the neighbor's wife.....when you live next door to a retirement home.

I'm going to go take a shower.

bricks
03-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Renaldo Hill is a very underrated player. He would be a pretty good upgrade, and, possibly come at a reasonable price. I'd like that move. still, I'd rather prefer Law or Surtain, and I don't know WTF Carl is waiting for?!

carlos3652
03-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Renaldo Hill is a very underrated player. He would be a pretty good upgrade, and, possibly come at a reasonable price. I'd like that move. still, I'd rather prefer Law or Surtain, and I don't know WTF Carl is waiting for?!

Well we cant get Law right this second, and I agree with Carl on this move, I think the only thing holding up the surtain trade is his contract negtiations. Carl is willing to trade the 2nd round pick, but it seems like they are negotiating the contract...

Deberg_1990
03-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Because DV would say that he would have to fight it out with Bartee/Battle/McCleon for a job and they are already familiar with the system the Chiefs run......hahaha

milkman
03-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I have to admit, I haven't watched many Cardinal games.

Is Hill the type of physical corner that could play in Gun's press man scheme.

bricks
03-19-2005, 11:11 AM
I have to admit, I haven't watched many Cardinal games.

Is Hill the type of physical corner that could play in Gun's press man scheme.

Hill is somewhat a physical corner. He has a knack for making plays, something Bartee can't do. Hill has a nose for the football. His game picked up big time when Duane Starks got hurt. He is a sleeper pick, just like Warfield, drafted in the 7th round.

milkman
03-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Hill is somewhat a physical corner. He has a knack for making plays, something Bartee can't do. Hill has a nose for the football. His game picked up big time when Duane Starks got hurt. He is a sleeper pick, just like Warfield, drafted in the 7th round.

Thanks.

Anybody know if the Eagles covet any player at a particular paoistion that they'd be willing to trade up to the Chiefs spot for?

I've been looking at mock drafts and player evals, and I've decided my dream scenario would be to trade our #2 pick for Surtain, trade down in the first round, draft Marlin Jackson in the first and Daryl Blackstock in the 2nd.

With Philly holding the #31 and #35 picks, that might be doable.

I know it's a dream, but man, what a dream!

Wile_E_Coyote
03-19-2005, 11:20 AM
this is a lock, DV, CP & half the offensive side of the ball are all over the Hill

PHOG
03-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Almost.. :doh!:

bricks
03-19-2005, 11:32 AM
How do we know that? The Patriots picked up Duane Starks and he is a solid player. I would love to have some of their players, they sure as heck are a lot better than ours. Ronald McKinnon, Adrian Wilson, Renaldo Hill, duane Starks are all solid players.

PHOG
03-19-2005, 12:02 PM
How do we know that? The Patriots picked up Duane Starks and he is a solid player. I would love to have some of their players, they sure as heck are a lot better than ours. Ronald McKinnon, Adrian Wilson, Renaldo Hill, duane Starks are all solid players.

McKinnon would have been a nice MLB pickup on the cheap..

Thereby allowing us to pick up TWO starting CB's instead of, counting as we type, NONE.. :cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead:

But Bell(when he's healthy) is a monster.. :thumb:

Mastashake
03-19-2005, 12:27 PM

The funny thing is the other 31 teams say that about the Chiefs...

"Get someone from the Chiefs, are you mad?!"

LOL

carlos3652
03-19-2005, 01:26 PM
The funny thing is the other 31 teams say that about the Chiefs...

"Get someone from the Chiefs, are you mad?!"

LOL

Thats what you would think, especially on defense but then you have:

Miami picking up Vonnie Holiday
Teams interested in Caver and Fujita and we might trade wesley to miami for surtain and a 2nd rounder?
etc...

milkman
03-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Teams interested in Caver and Fujita and we might trade wesley to miami for surtain and a 2nd rounder?
etc...

I haven't heard rumors involving Wesley in the Surtain talks.
Did I miss something?

carlos3652
03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I haven't heard rumors involving Wesley in the Surtain talks.
Did I miss something?

My opinion, nothings been said, maybe we can give them wesley and a 2 and be done with it, instead of giving them 2nd round and something next year...

milkman
03-19-2005, 01:39 PM
My opinion, nothings been said, maybe we can give them wesley and a 2 and be done with it, instead of giving them 2nd round and something next year...

I doubt the Chiefs could take the cap hit if they traded Wesley, then also afford to sign Surtain to an extension.

I believe the SB for a player accelerates if he's traded, the same as if cut.

I could be wrong, though.

mikey23545
03-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Critics don't like his size (he's 5-11, 194)...

Hell, is even 5'11", 194 considered small for a corner nowadays?

I really like the idea of signing this guy and saving a second round draft pick and a boatload of cash to use on other players.

I also think that having a bunch of solid players on a team is better than having two or three probowlers surrounded by a bunch of clowns. No one, including the Patriots have eleven All-Stars on the field at once.

Shoring up the D with decent players at multiple positions will have a synergistic effect, not an additive one...

bricks
03-19-2005, 02:28 PM

etc...

Yeah but all those guys you mentioned are good enough to provide good quality depth on other teams.

carlos3652
03-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah but all those guys you mentioned are good enough to provide good quality depth on other teams.

Anybody on our starting d is good for backup role, just not starting... lol

milkman
03-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Anybody on our starting d is good for backup role, just not starting... lol

1 or 2 players are good enough to start.
Jared Allen, if he continues to devlop, and maybe Scott Fujita.

Most, however, shouldn't be anymore than depth, and a player like Bartee at CB shouldn't even be playing B/U in the NFLE.

FRCDFED
03-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Hill would be worth bringing in at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, with the loss of Starks, Arizona will probably match any deal.

KCChiefsMan
03-19-2005, 03:51 PM
I would be all for it, if we got Law or Surtain first!

bricks
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
1 or 2 players are good enough to start.
Jared Allen, if he continues to devlop, and maybe Scott Fujita.

Most, however, shouldn't be anymore than depth, and a player like Bartee at CB shouldn't even be playing B/U in the NFLE.

Um..I'd say about 3 or 4 guys on our defense are capable starters on other teams...that being, Warfield, Allen, Dalton, and Fujita. all pretty solid players, the rest are a bunch of scrubs who don't even belong in a junkyard.

p.s. what are you talking about?? Bartee should be competing with Troy Vincent in training camp to solidify our next CB spot. :rolleyes: :D

ChiefsCountry
03-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Hill would be a good pickup for a CB as a nickel back/starter for Warfield in case of his legal troubles. If we pick up Hill and Law/Surtain then I say we can worry about something else in the draft other than cornerback like maybe DE or LB.

BoroChief
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Sidewinder said

"I've been looking at mock drafts and player evals, and I've decided my dream scenario would be to trade our #2 pick for Surtain, trade down in the first round, draft Marlin Jackson in the first and Daryl Blackstock in the 2nd."

I tend to agree with this as being a great move for us on d. I'll be the first to admit I don't know that much about Marlin Jackson. I do want to tell you that Blackstock is a monster who can just about do it all at the LB position. I have watched him play at UVA for a couple of years now and he had the opposing offenses scared to death of him. Hard hitter who hits anything that moves with the ball whether QB, RB, WR, Or TE. I think he can make a definite impact on our d and most likely would be a good move for our d's future.

BoroChief
03-19-2005, 06:52 PM
I think Hill would be slight upgrade from what we have. But one breakout year is not the type of resume that I'm looking for. Show me some consistency and I would be willing to risk it. If we could get him cheap then I say go for it. The problem is we need experience in the secondary not someone still semi green in the gills. Give me Surtain for sure or Law if he's healthy then I'd fell better about the situation.

milkman
03-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Sidewinder said

"I've been looking at mock drafts and player evals, and I've decided my dream scenario would be to trade our #2 pick for Surtain, trade down in the first round, draft Marlin Jackson in the first and Daryl Blackstock in the 2nd."

I tend to agree with this as being a great move for us on d. I'll be the first to admit I don't know that much about Marlin Jackson. I do want to tell you that Blackstock is a monster who can just about do it all at the LB position. I have watched him play at UVA for a couple of years now and he had the opposing offenses scared to death of him. Hard hitter who hits anything that moves with the ball whether QB, RB, WR, Or TE. I think he can make a definite impact on our d and most likely would be a good move for our d's future.

BC,
You can quote another person's post by clicking on the word "quote" at the bottom right of that post.

Save you some typing.

BoroChief
03-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanx, Sidewinder. I'm still green on all BB things. I only go on two of them, a friend's band and this one.

milkman
03-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanx, Sidewinder. I'm still green on all BB things. I only go on two of them, a friend's band and this one.

That's cool.

I am utterly computer illiterate myself.
I just today figured out how to add a pic to my sig, and I have been a member since this BBs first month in existence.

Dave Lane
03-19-2005, 08:59 PM

pistol or shotgun?

That would be Bartee of which you speak

Dave

philfree
03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks.

Anybody know if the Eagles covet any player at a particular paoistion that they'd be willing to trade up to the Chiefs spot for?

I've been looking at mock drafts and player evals, and I've decided my dream scenario would be to trade our #2 pick for Surtain, trade down in the first round, draft Marlin Jackson in the first and Daryl Blackstock in the 2nd.

With Philly holding the #31 and #35 picks, that might be doable.

I know it's a dream, but man, what a dream!

Some project Jackson as a FS. I saw him make a play or two this year at cb though. I haven't seen his pro day numbers but I saw his combine forty and he didn't run well. Leastways that's what I think I remember :) I was on his bandwagon for a 15th pick but I got off pretty much when I watched Carlos Rogers.

PhilFree:arrow:

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 10:49 PM

pistol or shotgun?

Did you think this was a Dennis Weathersby thread, too?