PDA

View Full Version : Probably been done before, but here's a retirement poll.

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Let's say that your spouse files a lawsuit against a company and wins some huge obscene amount of money. You have a lot of leisure time as a result you end up playing cowboys and prostitute bargirls with your trainer, your masseuse, your french maid, and anyone else who comes along.

As a result, you get divorced, and you get a share of the huge obscene amount of money.

What's the least money that you could get so that you would willingly never have to work again? Consider a level where you would be comfortable rather than eating Alpo.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Let's say that your spouse files a lawsuit against a company and wins some huge obscene amount of money. You have a lot of leisure time as a result you end up playing cowboys and prostitute bargirls with your trainer, your masseuse, your french maid, and anyone else who comes along.

As a result, you get divorced, and you get a share of the huge obscene amount of money.

What's the least money that you could get so that you wouldn't ever have to work again?

I could live off of $15,000 a year if I NEEDED too. However anything less than $40k would be downright uncomfortable. So I will say that I could live off of 1.5 million for life. I'm not quite 30, so that should be plenty of years of 40k.

foxman
03-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Wouldnt it have been easier to just ask what the minimum you would need to never work again?

For me I'd say 1million, but thats probably not enough in reality.

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm torn between $3 million and $4 million. At 3% interest, highly conservative investments would yield $90,000 to $120,000 per year with those amounts, which of course would buy less over time due to inflation. Thirty years from now, those amounts will be worth about half what they are in today's dollars. Of course, if you plan it right, you can bleed a lot of principal off over time and bet that you won't live past 90 or so.

I think $4 million is my minimum.

Hydrae
03-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I could live off of $15,000 a year if I NEEDED too. However anything less than $40k would be downright uncomfortable. So I will say that I could live off of 1.5 million for life. I'm not quite 30, so that should be plenty of years of 40k.

Hmmm, I am in my mid 40's and came up with the same answer for living on 40K a year. Of course that was before I saw that I no longer had the wife to support with this money either. I could be quite comfortable on my own with that kind of money.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm torn between $3 million and $4 million. At 3% interest, highly conservative investments would yield $90,000 to $120,000 per year with those amounts, which of course would buy less over time due to inflation. Thirty years from now, those amounts will be worth about half what they are in today's dollars. Of course, if you plan it right, you can bleed a lot of principal off over time and bet that you won't live past 90 or so.

I think $4 million is my minimum.

I had not even considered inflation and the like. That's what I get for giving up the pot. Minimum of $4million.

JimNasium
03-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm not playing any part in Kevin's little fantasy.

Phobia
03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
I chose $10 Mill. I'm high maintenance and golf ain't cheap.

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm not playing any part in Kevin's little fantasy.

Uh-oh. I must have sent you the wrong PM.

JimNasium
03-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Uh-oh. I must have sent you the wrong PM.
Have I mentioned my evil plan to sue your company?

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Have I mentioned my evil plan to sue your company?

I keep telling you, we're not Corona Beer. I have nothing to do with your public drunkenness arrests.

JimNasium
03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I keep telling you, we're not Corona Beer. I have nothing to do with your public drunkenness arrests.
No, I'm referring to that research project you had me do in the park last summer. I didn't know they could put stiches in that area of the body.

el borracho
03-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Give me $3 million and I will disappear to Central America forever (and live like royalty while there).

Phobia
03-25-2005, 02:12 PM
No, I'm referring to that research project you had me do in the park last summer. I didn't know they could put stiches in that area of the body.

I advised against the fence post experiment, dude. I can't believe you haven't heard of an anal episiotomy.

JimNasium
03-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I advised against the fence post experiment, dude. I can't believe you haven't heard of an anal episiotomy.
Kevin did not cite such language in the employment contract and I can assure you that I read the disclaimer section quite thouroughly.