PDA

View Full Version : DTV question for Skip (please don't move this until he views it)

The Bad Guy
03-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Skip,

My friend owns a townhouse down in Northern Virginia. They came to install DTV today, but said that they didn't have a line of sight for the satellite.

The townhouse community he's in says he can only have a satellite located on the back porch, but the line of site on the back porch doesn't allow for him to have it..

I remember you saying they couldn't tell him where to put a dish, but I don't know exactly the rules because he wants to fight them on it.

If you can pass along any info for me to give him I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

JimNasium
03-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Oatmeal.

Phobia
03-25-2005, 12:09 PM
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Idahored
03-25-2005, 12:17 PM
The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance or use of the types of antennas described above, as well as restrictions needed for safety or historic preservation. In addition, under some circumstances, the availability of a central or common antenna can be used by a community association or landlord to restrict the installation of individual antennas. In addition, the rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners. Such common areas may include the roof or exterior wall of a multiple dwelling unit. Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in or on such common areas are enforceable.

Per the last sentence your friend is probably stuck.

PastorMikH
03-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Skio should be waking up from his nap anytime so I'll bump this for you.

JimNasium
03-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Skio should be waking up from his nap anytime so I'll bump this for you.
I hope he remembered to keep fresh batteries in his alert pendant. http://www.pioneeremergency.com/womana.jpg

jarjar
03-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Tell your friend to put a post on his back poor to elevate the dish to the point it has LOS. If it's very high that would be uglier too, heh.

PastorMikH
03-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I hope he remembered to keep fresh batteries in his alert pendant.

:LOL:

I'm just hoping he remembered to change the battery in his pacemaker.

Skip Towne
03-25-2005, 04:48 PM
The landlord can restrict where the dish is located. All situations are different. Does he have an upstairs neighbor who has line of sight? He would need their permission but he could mount it on their porch. Did he say what was blocking his line of sight? A building, trees? Some techs are better than others at finding LOS. He might call the company he bought it from and ask for another opinion.

DenverChief
03-25-2005, 04:50 PM
sometimes LOS can be tricky...my dish points directly at the apt building across the street from me but I get a great signal...so if the dish points back at the roof he might still get signal...just have the tech use a signal meter to find out

Skip Towne
03-25-2005, 04:59 PM
sometimes LOS can be tricky...my dish points directly at the apt building across the street from me but I get a great signal...so if the dish points back at the roof he might still get signal...just have the tech use a signal meter to find out
You have to have a signal meter with a built in battery to just put up a dish and check for signal. Otherwise you have to do the install and use the power from the receiver to power the LNB. That's too much trouble just to check for signal. I have a battery powered meter but most techs don't.

DenverChief
03-25-2005, 05:07 PM
You have to have a signal meter with a built in battery to just put up a dish and check for signal. Otherwise you have to do the install and use the power from the receiver to power the LNB. That's too much trouble just to check for signal. I have a battery powered meter but most techs don't.

ahh I see