PDA

View Full Version : America doesn't have the nuttiest Christians! Filipinos nail themselves to crosses.

recycle
03-25-2005, 02:20 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/religion_philippines_crucifixion_dc

Filipinos Celebrate Good Friday with Nails, Blood
Fri Mar 25, 5:59 AM ET
By Pedro UchiCUTUD, Philippines (Reuters) - Filipinos marked Good Friday by retracing Jesus Christ's last steps and reliving his crucifixion with nails, whips and blood.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20050325/mdf907374.jpg

The gory rituals in several parts of the heavily Roman Catholic country are not sanctioned by the Church as part of Easter but have become a magnet for the curious and devout during a week of prayer, shopping, visiting and little work.

With millions on the move and churches packed, security forces were on full alert after Muslim rebels vowed to avenge the killing of 22 comrades during a recent jail siege.

Abu Sayyaf, linked to al Qaeda and regional militants from Jemaah Islamiah, is a small but deadly group that claimed three bombings in mid-February and a blast on a ferry in early 2004.

The threat did nothing to deter thousands of Filipinos and foreigners from flocking to the farming village of Cutud, 90 minutes north of Manila, to see dozens of black-hooded penitents trudging along a road whipping their own backs raw.

On a dusty hill, with the crowd pressing round, 11 men had themselves nailed to crosses in imitation of Christ's suffering. The nails hammered into their hands and feet were as thick as pencils.

"I feel lighter after I have been nailed to the cross. But my cross was really heavy," said Ruben Enage, who started 19 years ago after his mother was cured of tuberculosis.

"It takes a lot of courage to get up there," said Matthew James, an American in the Philippines on business. "A lot of faith there."

In the nearby town of San Simon, about 100 men -- old and young -- whipped their backs with bundles of sticks as relatives helped keep the blood flowing with razor blades and water.

"This is just a little pain compared to my sins," said Ruben Arriola, a house painter.

Elsewhere, Filipinos marked Good Friday more quietly with prayers and pilgrimages.

Most local television and radio stations were off the air, while others broadcast religious shows. Major newspapers did not publish on Thursday or Friday. (With reporting by Erik de Castro, Bobby Ranoco and Cheryl Ravelo)

Donger
03-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Filipinos nail themselves to crosses.

I don't buy it.

How do they get the last nail in?

Rausch
03-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Wow.

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 03:23 PM
The Muslims just shake their heads and think, "Barbarians."

Dave Lane
03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
The Muslims just shake their heads and think, "Barbarians."

Thats exactly what I thought except they are saying what a bunch of nuts!

We don't need to kill them they are doing it themselves.

Dave

Donger
03-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Hasn't it also been proven that being crucified with the nails going through the palms wouldn't work?

If these folks are going to do it, they should get it right.

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Hasn't it also been proven that being crucified with the nails going through the palms wouldn't work?

I guess this is the only way to find out.

Donger
03-25-2005, 03:39 PM
I guess this is the only way to find out.

Personally, I always turn to Google before driving pieces of metal through my appendages.

Donger
03-25-2005, 03:40 PM
And gopher wood, too. I always forget the gopher wood.

C-Mac
03-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Fools.
I wonder if they actually lift them upright. Because using a cross without added support, their hands would rip in half shortly after their feet did.

C-Mac
03-25-2005, 04:32 PM
After further review of the picture......cheaters!

Donger
03-25-2005, 04:34 PM
An old joke and somewhat inappropriate considering the time of year, but...

What did Jesus say when they were taking him down from the cross?

"FEET FIRST, YOU MORONS!!!"

C-Mac
03-25-2005, 04:53 PM

I need to read posts more carefully....man.
But yes, it would have had to be done thru the wrists.
Historically speaking, a straight upright pole was the normal use for torture during this time period. A pole also makes it more physically accurate and believeable for such a manner of torture.

Demonpenz
03-25-2005, 05:00 PM
thier hands heal really quickly too because of their strong faith.

memyselfI
03-25-2005, 07:35 PM
You are right...

here the CNJs try to nail everyone else to the Cross. There, they nail themselves.

beer bacon
03-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I think they have been doing this for a while.

Lzen
03-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Wow, all I can say is wow.

Oh, and I will be praying for all you Christian bashers. :shake:

Frankie
03-25-2005, 07:44 PM
America doesn't have the nuttiest Christians! Filipinos nail themselves to crosses.

Stupidity and self mutilation is not the monopoly of just one religion nor of one nation. There are Moslems who cut their scalps bloody with blades. Blind religion makes you stupid.