PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER: Whole lot of shake-up going on with Chiefs

Fried Meat Ball!
03-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Whole lot of shake-up going on with Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Down at his offseason home in Florida, where he's been insulated from the icy winds of change rattling other Chiefs defenders, Lional Dalton admitted to a certain lack of knowledge about current events.

“I really don't know what's been going on up there,” said Dalton, a starting defensive tackle. “My wife keeps up with it more than I do. Last I heard, we signed a safety. What's his name? Samari Rolle?”

Obviously, some introductions will be in order Monday when the Chiefs begin the conditioning phase of their offseason program. Dalton will shake hands not with Rolle, a free-agent cornerback who signed instead with Baltimore, but new starting safety Sammy Knight.

Dalton also will meet another recent acquisition, linebacker Kendrell Bell — and perhaps soon a new cornerback, maybe Ty Law or Patrick Surtain.

That would make three new defensive starters, for those who are counting. Every one of the Chiefs' defenders is counting — even Dalton, who was arguably their best lineman last year and should feel relatively secure.

Dalton may not know their names yet, but their presence has him looking over his shoulder, too.

“You've always got to worry about your job,” Dalton said. “That's one thing I've learned. As long as you've got somebody pushing you, you've got to get the job done. If you don't, they'll find somebody to take your job. I thought I had nothing to worry about when I was with Denver. I had the big contract, and I was released the next year.

“It definitely picks up the competition level when there's a guy behind you who can also be a starter. It helps you pick up your game. There's nothing wrong with competition.”

That was the idea behind the signing of Knight, an eight-year starter with New Orleans and Miami. He was handed the strong safety job, leaving incumbent starters Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods to compete at free safety.

The Chiefs haven't been specific publicly about their plans for Bell, but he will probably wind up as their starting middle linebacker. That would displace Mike Maslowski and Kawika Mitchell, the starting middle linebackers from the last two seasons.

Law or Surtain would take a starting job from William Bartee and Dexter McCleon, who shared a position last year opposite Eric Warfield.

The moves also won't directly affect Jared Allen, a starting defensive end who last year as a rookie led the Chiefs in sacks. But they also got his attention.

“We had two great safeties, in my opinion, and they brought another one in,” Allen said. “That just shows that everybody is going to have to earn his spot.”

Even offensive players have taken notice. Fullback Tony Richardson, after making the Pro Bowl the last two seasons as part of one of the NFL's highest-scoring offenses, has a secure roster spot. The Chiefs have nobody capable of taking his job even if they wanted to replace him.

But Richardson was at the Truman Sports Complex on Friday getting a head start on his workout program.

“You can't get comfortable in our business,” Richardson said. “Whenever you do, that's when you set yourself up for failure.

“It eventually comes to an end for everybody. There's probably only three ways you're going to leave this business. One is to retire on your own terms and have this big farewell party. It doesn't happen that way for too many guys. Another is to get hurt. The last one is when they bring somebody in to take your job. That's the way it happens for a lot of guys.”

The first seven weeks of the offseason program are reserved for conditioning. The Chiefs aren't scheduled for their first practice until the middle of May.

But the first organized activity of the year, which includes a team barbecue Monday, is always an occasion.

“Regardless of whether you had a good year or a bad year, you always look forward to getting back to work,” Richardson said. “The kind of season we had last year, it kind of lives with you, kind of haunts you. Coach (Dick) Vermeil always tells you to try to get away from football during this time and try to get it off your mind. But you still replay a lot of things that happened last year in your mind.”

The Chiefs were expecting most of their players. They were not expecting tight end Tony Gonzalez, wide receiver Johnnie Morton and running back Priest Holmes to be regular participants until practice begins.

Those players expressed to the Chiefs an interest in conditioning at home — Gonzalez and Morton in California and Holmes in Texas.

Michael Michigan
03-26-2005, 01:08 AM
“I really don't know what's been going on up there,” said Dalton, a starting defensive tackle. “My wife keeps up with it more than I do. Last I heard, we signed a safety. What's his name? Samari Rolle?”

Obviously KC should have let Dalton run the contract negotiations...

Rausch
03-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Richardson deserves the big farwell party. He's been a blue collar producer for years. Guys like him and Shields and Watters don't ever get the credit they deserve...

I'm still pissed Kimble Anders' career had to end the way it did...

Fried Meat Ball!
03-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Allen's not going anywhere immediately... they'll give him till midseason even if he's not doing crap. Same with Dalton. Sims might get pushed out by Siavii, and as long as Hicks has DV and CP's dicks in his mouth he won't be going anywhere. I suspect Wesley and Knight will be our starting safeties with Warfield and Law as our starting CBs. I think Law will win over because he plays the run better than Surtain and doesn't cost us a draft pick. With the depth at CB in this year's draft, we'll get a CB in either round 1 or 2 to be very solid by the time Law's done.

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Allen's not going anywhere immediately... they'll give him till midseason even if he's not doing crap. Same with Dalton. Sims might get pushed out by Siavii, and as long as Hicks has DV and CP's dicks in his mouth he won't be going anywhere. I suspect Wesley and Knight will be our starting safeties with Warfield and Law as our starting CBs. I think Law will win over because he plays the run better than Surtain and doesn't cost us a draft pick. With the depth at CB in this year's draft, we'll get a CB in either round 1 or 2 to be very solid by the time Law's done.

Wait. What about Allen and Dalton? They were the players on our defense outside of maybe Warfield and Fuj that were actually decent last year. I don't really think anybody is thinking about getting rid of them anytime soon.

Also, I think it is important to reiterate once again that Tony Richardson is still, indeed, a ****ing stud.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-26-2005, 01:28 AM
Wait. What about Allen and Dalton? They were the players on our defense outside of maybe Warfield and Fuj that were actually decent last year. I don't really think anybody is thinking about getting rid of them anytime soon.

Also, I think it is important to reiterate once again that Tony Richardson is still, indeed, a ****ing stud.
That's what I said... I said Allen's not going anywhere unless he doesn't produce AT ALL, and even then he'll be there at least until midseason. Then I said Dalton won't go anywhere, but Sims might. Then I said Warfield and Law will be our starting CBs and I didn't say anything about our LBs. However, I think our LBs will be (assuming we don't sign another FA LB) OLBs Fujita and Mitchell, with Bell in the middle -- that's right, I think we'll move Mitchell outside and he'll be stellar!

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 01:36 AM
That's what I said... I said Allen's not going anywhere unless he doesn't produce AT ALL, and even then he'll be there at least until midseason. Then I said Dalton won't go anywhere, but Sims might. Then I said Warfield and Law will be our starting CBs and I didn't say anything about our LBs. However, I think our LBs will be (assuming we don't sign another FA LB) OLBs Fujita and Mitchell, with Bell in the middle -- that's right, I think we'll move Mitchell outside and he'll be stellar!

I agree with most that, although I am still hopeful that we will get Surtain signed. I would also be disappointed if we didn't bring in one more starting LB through FA, trade, or the draft.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-26-2005, 01:38 AM
I agree with most that, although I am still hopeful that we will get Surtain signed. I would also be disappointed if we didn't bring in one more starting LB through FA, trade, or the draft.
I think we will, probably through the draft. But isn't Gun's system the toughest to learn for LBs? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, we won't have a starting rookie LB to begin the season. And don't forget, DV really doesn't like to start rookies. He will if their ability is undeniable, but he doesn't like to.

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 01:52 AM
I think we will, probably through the draft. But isn't Gun's system the toughest to learn for LBs? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, we won't have a starting rookie LB to begin the season. And don't forget, DV really doesn't like to start rookies. He will if their ability is undeniable, but he doesn't like to.

The only LB in the draft I am really impressed with is DJ. There is really no way he will fall to us. I would much rather prefer signing/trading for Sharper, Foreman, or Simmons. I want Sharper the most and Simmons the least of those three.

I would also love if Fox actually turned out to be starting material as a good cover LB. I don't know what happened to him last year after he recovered from his injury.

mikey23545
03-26-2005, 03:23 AM
But Richardson was at the Truman Sports Complex on Friday getting a head start on his workout program.

Damn, they don't make too many like this guy...

Otter
03-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Richardson deserves the big farwell party. He's been a blue collar producer for years. Guys like him and Shields and Watters don't ever get the credit they deserve...

I'm still pissed Kimble Anders' career had to end the way it did...

If you got the notion, I second that emotion

htismaqe
03-26-2005, 05:49 AM

Sims and Siavii play different positions.

The only person that could relegate Sims completely to the bench is Dalton, but the way we rotate, it will never happen.

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2005, 06:21 AM

I'm still pissed Kimble Anders' career had to end the way it did...Amen.

siberian khatru
03-26-2005, 06:56 AM

I wish we had 53 of him.

I keep thinking of Wesley: "Damn, you mean I got to EARN this job next year?"

dilligaf
03-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I wish we had 53 of him.

Yeah, he sounds a little complacent. :hmmm:

AirForceChief
03-26-2005, 08:30 AM

I recall Donnie Edwards picking up the D pretty quickly and he played the more difficult MLB position. However, Edwards has proven to be as smart as he is talented. Could lightening strike again?

Dayze
03-26-2005, 08:47 AM

Yep; guys like T Rich are the best; they're after results, not the biggest pay-day.

PHOG
03-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Whole lot of shake-up going on with Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Down at his offseason home in Florida, where he's been insulated from the icy winds of change rattling other Chiefs defenders, Lional Dalton admitted to a certain lack of knowledge about current events.

“I really don't know what's been going on up there,” said Dalton, a starting defensive tackle. “My wife keeps up with it more than I do. Last I heard, we signed a safety. What's his name? Samari Rolle?

Sounds like a worthy assistant GM when he decides to retire. :hmmm:

Fat Elvis
03-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Why is Johnny Morton still iwth the team?

Lzen
03-26-2005, 09:21 AM
I wish we had 53 of him.

No doubt. Wesley used to be one of my favorite Chiefs. That is, until I saw that comment.
:shake:

Lzen
03-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Why is Johnny Morton still iwth the team?

Perhaps they're waiting until June to cut him?

bricks
03-26-2005, 09:27 AM
No doubt. Wesley used to be one of my favorite Chiefs. That is, until I saw that comment.

Yep. I agree with you. that was a real turn off.

bricks
03-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Yep; guys like T Rich are the best; they're after results, not the biggest pay-day.

the man is a leader as well. I love him.

Rain Man
03-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Yep. How can you not like Tony Richardson? Top-notch player, top-notch guy.

Dalton played well for us last year, but he's not exactly rallying the troops like Ed Hartwell, is he?

Count Zarth
03-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Sounds like Johnnie Morton still has a chance of being here.

BigChiefFan
03-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Maybe the players are starting to get the message. Perform or find employment elsewhere.

whoman69
03-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I think he's paraphrasing. Wesley didn't say that directly.

shaneo69
03-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Quote: "The Chiefs were expecting most of their players (for the conditioning program). They were not expecting tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Priest Holmes to be regular participants until practice begins (in May).

Those players expressed to the Chiefs an interest in conditioning at home — Gonzalez in California and Holmes in Texas."

Super. Wouldn't it be nice if the Chiefs' best players were actual leaders. It's fine that T-Rich is there to rally the troops, but Gonzo and Priest need to be there as well.

jspchief
03-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Super. Wouldn't it be nice if the Chiefs' best players were actual leaders. It's fine that T-Rich is there to rally the troops, but Gonzo and Priest need to be there as well.
I kind of agree, but I'd add that the offensive leader IMO is Green, and I don't feel like the O is lacking in leadership. Gonzo has always been selfish, and Holmes has never appeared to be a leader anyway.

I'm more concerned with the complete lack of leadership on defense, combined with what appears to be a very uninspired attitude by our defensive players. Wesley's comments, and Dalton's to a lesser degree, paints the picture of a bunch of guys that don't appear to care that they suck, individually and as a unit.

beavis
03-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Sounds like Johnnie Morton still has a chance of being here.
I don't think so. That "conditioning at home" thing sounds like a cop out to me.

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 04:51 PM
I kind of agree, but I'd add that the offensive leader IMO is Green, and I don't feel like the O is lacking in leadership. Gonzo has always been selfish, and Holmes has never appeared to be a leader anyway.

I'm more concerned with the complete lack of leadership on defense, combined with what appears to be a very uninspired attitude by our defensive players. Wesley's comments, and Dalton's to a lesser degree, paints the picture of a bunch of guys that don't appear to care that they suck, individually and as a unit.

I know I am going to get shit for this, but I think Hicks would make a great leader. It seemed to me that he has always been a give 100% type of guy, but just can't back it up.

It also seemed to me like he had a ton of QB pressures last year, but couldn't finish because of two things: one he doesn't have great speed and two because of our horrible secondary there was always somebody open for the opposing QB to chuck it up to. If we actually had a secondary that could cover for a bit longer I could see him getting eight or so sacks and his words actually meaning something instead of just pissing everyone off.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2005, 05:07 PM

isn't TRich like the highest paid fullback in the history of the NFL or something?

for 2+ million a year, his fullback arse better show up to everything and bring cookies.

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 05:35 PM
isn't TRich like the highest paid fullback in the history of the NFL or something?

for 2+ million a year, his fullback arse better show up to everything and bring cookies.

He is the best blockin fullback in the NFL. He is a good receiver out of the backfield. He averages 4 yards per carry. He is leader on the field. He is a leader off the field. He is a leader in the community. He is worth every penny.

Hydrae
03-26-2005, 08:00 PM
He is the best blockin fullback in the NFL. He is a good receiver out of the backfield. He averages 4 yards per carry. He is leader on the field. He is a leader off the field. He is a leader in the community. He is worth every penny.

I don't know what he earns but the last few years he has restructured his contract to help the team. It seems like this happens every year.

milkman
03-26-2005, 08:30 PM

This is negativity at it's highest level. :p

But the fact is, he is there, and he doesn't have to be.

You want to bitch, then bitch about Gonzo.

He's the MFer making the big bucks that doesn't show up.

TRR
03-26-2005, 08:37 PM
At least Gonzalez produces. Let's talk about Johnnie Morton not being there.

I think Morton isn't there because he's been told he will be released after June 1st. That's just my uneducated opinion.

milkman
03-26-2005, 08:52 PM

I think Morton isn't there because he's been told he will be released after June 1st. That's just my uneducated opinion.

My point is that Laz thinks, at 2 mil a year, then T-Rich better be showing up for these non manatory workouts.
So if T-Rich should be there, the same should be expected of Gonzo at what?, 4 mil a year.

Count Zarth
03-26-2005, 08:58 PM
I could care less what Tony does in the offseason as long as he's ready for the regular season. In the past, he has been.

TRR
03-26-2005, 09:00 PM
My point is that Laz thinks, at 2 mil a year, then T-Rich better be showing up for these non manatory workouts.
So if T-Rich should be there, the same should be expected of Gonzo at what?, 4 mil a year.

I agree with you, although I think TG isn't there because he had surgery on his ankle if I remember correctly...Anybody?

TRich goes above and beyond.

whoman69
03-26-2005, 09:07 PM

If they haven't told Morton, everyone else has. Its a no-brainer.

BigMeatballDave
03-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Why is Johnny Morton still iwth the team?You beat me to it. Hopefully, he's gone June 1...

TRR
03-26-2005, 09:16 PM
If they haven't told Morton, everyone else has. Its a no-brainer.

I hope your right. Morton hasn't lived up to his contract, has been a distraction in the locker room IMHO, and is a complete *sshole to fans in general.

I would love to see us cut Morton and bring in Kevin Johnson.

BigMeatballDave
03-26-2005, 09:18 PM
This is negativity at it's highest level. :p

But the fact is, he is there, and he doesn't have to be.

You want to bitch, then bitch about Gonzo.

He's the MFer making the big bucks that doesn't show up.Didn't TonyG just have surgery on his foot?

milkman
03-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Didn't TonyG just have surgery on his foot?

Does it really matter?
Has he ever partipated in offseason workouts?

Couldn't he come in and work with the team trainer on rehab?

The fact is, TG isn't nearly as dedicated as T-Rich.

If there is any single player should have earned the respect of fans, it's T-Rich.

Wallcrawler
03-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Does it really matter?
Has he ever partipated in offseason workouts?

Couldn't he come in and work with the team trainer on rehab?

The fact is, TG isn't nearly as dedicated as T-Rich.

If there is any single player should have earned the respect of fans, it's T-Rich.

Dude, Gonzalez doesnt NEED to come in and work out. The guy is pure talent, and anyone who doesnt know that by now has been living in a cave or something for the past several years. He just came off a season where he broke the receiving record for Tight Ends. Im pretty sure the guy is going to be ready to work when the season starts.

Tony G. is money. He's going to be there when the season starts, you can count on it. Tony G. not showing up for offseason workouts doesnt bother me in the slightest. He missed training camp a couple seasons back in a holdout and didnt miss a beat when he stepped on the field in the opener.

If the guy says he's conditioning at home, I have no reason to believe that he isnt doing what he says he is.

Some guys live, eat, sleep, and breathe football. Tony Richardson is probably one of those guys. But there are other guys who like to have as much of a normal time as they can in the offseason before committing to the grind of the NFL regular season.

If Tony G. wants to work out at home, I say let him. He's earned that much at least.

philfree
03-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Didn't TonyG just have surgery on his foot?
I don't know if he's had the surgery yet or not but if he did a report on how it went would have been nice. Something like "Tony G. had his surgery yesterday and it went as expected and he'll be back to 100% in 3-4 weeks."....That'd be comforting to read.

PhilFree:arrow:

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 07:37 AM
I don't know if he's had the surgery yet or not but if he did a report on how it went would have been nice. Something like "Tony G. had his surgery yesterday and it went as expected and he'll be back to 100% in 3-4 weeks."....That'd be comforting to read.Yeah, I'd kind of like to hear where he is. Although he had an amazing season last year on one wheel, it'd be nice to have him healthy the whole time this go-round.

Luzap
03-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Kinda, sorta, off topic...

I'd also like to know how Kris Wilson's doing. I know he got into the lineup late last season, but I still salivate at the thought of a 100% Wilson AND a 100% Gonzo on the field at the same time.

Luz
we haven't talked offense at all, have we...

milkman
03-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Dude, Gonzalez doesnt NEED to come in and work out. The guy is pure talent, and anyone who doesnt know that by now has been living in a cave or something for the past several years. He just came off a season where he broke the receiving record for Tight Ends. Im pretty sure the guy is going to be ready to work when the season starts.

Tony G. is money. He's going to be there when the season starts, you can count on it. Tony G. not showing up for offseason workouts doesnt bother me in the slightest. He missed training camp a couple seasons back in a holdout and didnt miss a beat when he stepped on the field in the opener.

If the guy says he's conditioning at home, I have no reason to believe that he isnt doing what he says he is.

Some guys live, eat, sleep, and breathe football. Tony Richardson is probably one of those guys. But there are other guys who like to have as much of a normal time as they can in the offseason before committing to the grind of the NFL regular season.

If Tony G. wants to work out at home, I say let him. He's earned that much at least.

First, my whole point started as this.
If Laz feels that way about T-Rich, then he should feel exactly the same way about Tony G, who makes more money.

But as I consider it further, I do believe that Tony G.should be at offseason workouts because he needs to set an example for the younger players.

And screw him if he thinks he needs a life outside of football.
Even attending all of the offseason programs and TC, these millionaire ****ing football players still have far more time away from there profession than us average everyday working stiffs.

:deevee: I want my 5 months off.

**** him.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Kinda, sorta, off topic...

I'd also like to know how Kris Wilson's doing. I know he got into the lineup late last season, but I still salivate at the thought of a 100% Wilson AND a 100% Gonzo on the field at the same time.

Luz
we haven't talked offense at all, have we...

Same here. Also curious what role Parker will play.

Count Zarth
03-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Same here. Also curious what role Parker will play.

Hopefully he'll take Dante Hall's role on offense and make it even better since he's a REAL WR.