PDA

View Full Version : Former coach rips Ricky Williams

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Former coach rips Ricky Williams

If retired tailback Ricky Williams decides to play football again, one of his former coaches believes the Miami Dolphins would be making a big mistake taking him back.

“I don't know that his teammates would actually want him back for what he did,” New Orleans coach Jim Haslett said. “He ruined lives. Coaches, players — I don't know how an organization would even want him back, but that's something they have to look at. I wouldn't want him on my team.”

New Dolphins coach Nick Saban spoke with Williams last week and has said “lines of communication have been opened” if he wants to return. Williams abruptly retired last July shortly after learning he faced a four-game suspension for a third positive test for marijuana.

Haslett coached Williams for two years in New Orleans before trading him to the Dolphins in the 2002 offseason for two first-round draft choices.

Asked whether he would describe Williams as a “high-maintenance“ player, Haslett said, “Yeah, he's probably the worst you have. You just didn't know if he wasn't going to show up one day. He practiced hard when he was there. You just didn't know what you were getting from one day to the next.”

“He's a good player. That's the weird thing about it. He runs hard, has great hands. Footballwise, he could do all this stuff”

• NFL MOVES: The Seahawks got cornerback Kelly Herndon when the Broncos failed to match the offer sheet the Seahawks gave him last week. The Seahawks also signed wide receiver Joe Jurevicius, a seven-year veteran. … The Niners signed linebacker Julian Peterson to a one-year offer, making him their franchise player for the second straight year. He is recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon suffered last year.

The Dolphins signed running back Travis Minor, and the Lions re-signed defensive tackle Marcus Bell.

Rausch
03-26-2005, 02:32 AM
If the Dolphins traded Williams rights to some team for a 6th or 7th round pick they'd be getting a steal...

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2005, 02:35 AM
If the Dolphins traded Williams rights to some team for a 6th or 7th round pick they'd be getting a steal...
With his production, some team would gamble that the only reason he did what he did was to get away from a bad situation with the Phins. With his resume, they probably could get a 3rd or a 4th, maybe higher if they go with a future draft pick based on performance. Some team in serious need of a RB would gamble a future pick.

Bwana
03-26-2005, 07:34 AM
With his production, some team would gamble that the only reason he did what he did was to get away from a bad situation with the Phins. With his resume, they probably could get a 3rd or a 4th, maybe higher if they go with a future draft pick based on performance. Some team in serious need of a RB would gamble a future pick.

The only reason he did what he did was the fact that he is a total head case. I don't even think he knows what he is going to do from one day to the next.

dred
03-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Despite all of the crazy shiznit that happenned last year.... he's still one hell of a great RB when he is on the field and I wish we had him on the Colts.

Edge and Ricky Williams would make a mean combo.

Skip Towne
03-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Despite all of the crazy shiznit that happenned last year.... he's still one hell of a great RB when he is on the field and I wish we had him on the Colts.

The Texas Longhorns had it even better than that. They had Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams.

dred
03-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Your right, thats even more lethal.

Herzig
03-26-2005, 08:44 AM

You will probably have neither next year.

dred
03-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Doesn't matter what happens next year....

THIS year is what I am worried about right now.

Colts still have some issues with their D.

Well, I'm sure you Chief fans can relate.

Colts and Chiefs are almost like 2 peas in a pod.

Bwana
03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Doesn't matter what happens next year....

THIS year is what I am worried about right now.

Colts still have some issues with their D.

Well, I'm sure you Chief fans can relate.

Colts and Chiefs are almost like 2 peas in a pod.

Really? Who have the Colts signed this offseason?

dred
03-26-2005, 09:03 AM
We've resigned most of our starters this offseason (including Dom and Edge) and cleaned a little house on the D. ie: Rob Morris, Bashir and a few others.

Polian isn't a big fan of falling into the huge dollar market of free agency.

Bwana
03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
We've resigned most of our starters this offseason (including Dom and Edge) and cleaned a little house on the D. ie: Rob Morris, Bashir and a few others.

Polian isn't a big fan of falling into the huge dollar market of free agency.

As far as the Chiefs Offseason, I think Bell and Knight are going to help, but we still need either Surtain or Law to really turn this bunch into a half way decent D. If we get one of those two, combined with Bell and Knight along with the draft, I think we will be in good shape. My gut feeling is it will be Surtain and we give the Fins a 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised it it happened on draft day.

Dayze
03-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I love watching (or used to) watching R. Williams play. Speed, power....it was great.

If a team signs Williams (assuming he comes back), they're taking the same risk other teams make when signing someone off of knee surgery, etc.

I think the guy is a little damaged upstairs at this point; but, I think if he had the right environment, and the right coach, he could be good again. I don't however, think that will be with the dolphins.
Too much resentment in that locker room for him to be successful.

Maybe someone like Holgren, or Dennis Green could get him to play at a high level again.

Skip Towne
03-26-2005, 10:02 AM
As far as the Chiefs Offseason, I think Bell and Knight are going to help, but we still need either Surtain or Law to really turn this bunch into a half way decent D. If we get one of those two, combined with Bell and Knight along with the draft, I think we will be in good shape. My gut feeling is it will be Surtain and we give the Fins a 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised it it happened on draft day.
We don't have a 3rd to give them. The pick we got for Tait can't be traded.

Brock
03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
“I don't know that his teammates would actually want him back for what he did,” New Orleans coach Jim Haslett said. “He ruined lives.

He ruined lives. :rolleyes: what a f*cking stupid thing to say.

RedNeckRaider
03-26-2005, 10:34 AM
“He ruined lives. Coaches, players"
Somebody get a rope! :rolleyes: The guy is a flake who quit his job, big f-ing deal. Now he owes his former employer money and needs a job to pay them back. It goes something like this...Thank you Mr Williams we will look over your application and give you a call if we are interested. In the event we are interested you will be required to pass a physical and a drug screen.

Bwana
03-26-2005, 10:41 AM

The hell you say. Well that kicks my master plan right in the pants. :hmmm:

Bwana
03-26-2005, 10:49 AM

BTW: Why the heck can't we trade the pick? What kind of a twisted rule is that? You would think if it is a pick, the team would be able to deal it. Yeah I know it was a comp for Tait but WTH?

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2005, 11:20 AM

I thought you guys already had Ricky Williams ;)

Cntrygal
03-27-2005, 01:55 PM
He ruined lives. :rolleyes: what a f*cking stupid thing to say.

Haslett has said a bunch of stupid things lately.

dred
03-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I thought you guys already had Ricky Williams ;)
Nah, we dropped him last season.

It was fun having "little Ricky Williams" on the squad while it lasted though.

We are going with Edge, Dom and James Mungro again for this season.... with the way things are looking so far.