PDA

View Full Version : Grunhard's comments.........

Gaz
12-14-2000, 01:15 PM
From NFL Scoop:

Kansas City's favorite Irishman, center Tim Grunhard, is likely to move on come next season. "But right now I'm leaning toward getting a cushy job, like you guys have," he told the Topeka Capital Journal. Grunhard, a number 1 draft pick out of Notre Dame, has spent 11 illustrious seasons in America's Heartland with the Chiefs. While Grunny stopped short of saying "That's all folks," he did indicate that his decision to return next year will fall on the shoulders of the front office. "In June or July we'll see how I feel, or how they feel," he said. "I'll want to see how things are around here. Are they going to re-sign Elvis Grbac? Will we get a featured running back? Will they do the other things we need to do to help us win around here?" Whatever that last statement means remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure. For 11 years, Grunhard has brought his lunch bucket with him to work every day. "And who knows, they may not want me," Grunhard added. "If they do, I'll look at it. If not, I'll just fade into the sunset."

Gaz
12-14-2000, 01:15 PM
SURELY changes will be made in the offseason. Obviously the cap situation doesn't allow us a lot of lee-way in FA, but simply changing the coaching staff would certainly mean that a feature back would be used (either T-Rich, Cloud or a drafted newbie), and a change to our defensive schemes might allow Dennis, Bartee and Warfield to execute better. For the most part we have been getting excellent penetration from our D-line. There is no excuse for this soft zone crap.

It's pretty sad when the team's leader basically says that the running of the club stinks. We've heard this before from Hasty (and probably others), but it's got to sink in to Lamar eventually.

Apologies if this article has already been discussed.<BR>

Fat Homer
12-14-2000, 01:25 PM
Send this article to the Chiefs front office...if Grunny wants to play next year and I think he has a couple of good years left...it would be a shame to lose him...he can still anchor our line...

I was happy to read that he wants to see EG re-signed...means that EG has become the leader...

We will see how serious the Chiefs are committed to winning this off season...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Gaz
12-14-2000, 01:49 PM
My thoughts exactly joe. It's good to see that he wants Grbac back, and that he recognizes the need for a feature back (well, duh!). I'd love to know what else he thinks need to be done to help the team win..........new coaches??!!!??

I don't see why he can't keep playing another couple of years either, assuming he wants to. If we don't resign Shields, at least we have Willis who looks like he could step in right away at RG. Blackshear is a weak-link right now IMO, but otherwise our line could be fine if Grunny returns. If Grunny leaves then Waters/Willis will see time at center, with Riley moving inside and Alford at Tackle??? Obviously we'd have to sign veteran depth, but either scenario would almost certainly weaken our line a lot more.

Gracie Dean
12-14-2000, 01:57 PM
Grunny is a BIG Elvis supporter. He said earlier this season that "I'm proud to have his hands between my legs". http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

karob
12-14-2000, 01:59 PM
Kloster, LOL at that Grunhard comment.

BigAl
12-14-2000, 02:16 PM
I didn't think Grunhard was a number one draft pick?

Fat Homer
12-14-2000, 02:26 PM
Cormac, it'd be a cryin' shame to lose Grunny if he still wants to play...I agree that we need to get some depth at OL...our pass blocking is great this year...and if they can't run block as great...then we will need a great back who doesn't need the blocks held as long...

From Grunny's comments...it sounds like he wants a back brought in...not one that's already on the roster...I wonder how he would feel with TRich as feature back...because if TRich performs well these next two weeks that's what we are going to see....

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-14-2000, 02:34 PM
The Chiefs web site lists him as a 2nd round pick (40th overall).

Gracie Dean
12-14-2000, 02:47 PM
I think the year we picked Grunny up, we didn't have a first round pick. That may be why the article lists him as number 1 pick.

Phobia
12-14-2000, 02:51 PM
Percy Snow was our #1 in 1990, Grunhard #2.

Gracie Dean
12-14-2000, 02:58 PM
Titus - exactly what I said in #9. We didn't have a first rounder in 90.

Phobia
12-14-2000, 03:00 PM
:D - I guess you could say that.

Gracie Dean
12-14-2000, 03:08 PM
LOL - yeah - I think I covered my azz pretty well. :) In my defense, I'm not at my PC so I don't have my bookmark to research draft picks handy. I really wanted to check before I spoke out of my azz but couldn't. We had a year around there where we didn't have a first round pick, right?

Fat Homer
12-14-2000, 03:10 PM
jenkins, like snow, or do wasted draft picks count?

Gracie Dean
12-14-2000, 03:13 PM
yeah, I think wasted draft picks count.

Snow was supposed to be pretty good. He was an animal at Michigan State. I remember him tearing up Iowa during the Chuck Long/Ronnie Harmon years.

In his defense, didn't he have a motorcycle/4-wheeler/moped/golf cart accident that tore up his knee at training camp?

BigChiefsFan
12-14-2000, 03:21 PM
KPhobia--
Snow wiped out on his Honda scooter at training camp. Last time I saw him he was playing in Europe, I beleive for Barcelona, though I don't follow the "other" league that much.

Fact is fellas, Grunny has been an outspoken leader since he arrived. If he goes, our entire team will suffer from his lost leadership, IMO.

MM
~~Will miss a fellow Irishman.

Fat Homer
12-14-2000, 03:24 PM
Mark, don't start missing him yet...sounds like he wants to stay and play if he sees a sign that managment has a clue...

I give anything to know the players thoughts on Gun...probably like Bush and Gore...mixed emotions.

thehead
12-14-2000, 04:06 PM
Guys-

Apologies for the Grunhard snafu....I wrote it this morning with snow over my eyes up here in Chicago.

I will make the change.

--Marty

Donkey Drew
12-14-2000, 05:10 PM
Why do people on the BB view Percy Snow as a bust? The Chiefs were NOT wrong about him. He was well on his way as a perennial Pro-Bowler when he suffered an ankle injury in a scooter accident. He had a permanent screw placed in his ankle and could not return to football, even though he tried again in '95. Trezelle Jenkins was a bust; There were no injuries, and no reason for him to suck other than the Chiefs did not evaluate him properly.

Gracie Dean
12-14-2000, 05:17 PM
I don't view him as a bust. I'm guessing he'd still be playing today if it weren't for that unfortunate injury. The point remains that due to that injury, we essentially wasted that draft pick.

Donkey Drew
12-14-2000, 05:34 PM
Kphobia, as you know, injuries in the NFL are the norm, not an exception. It wasn't a wasted pick; the Chiefs made a great choice, and would have been criticized had they NOT picked Percy Snow, but no one has a crystal ball. My point in posting is to say that he was NOT a bust, nor was it a wasted pick. Trezelle Jenkins? Wasted pick. Victor Bailey (traded a #2 for him) was a wasted pick. But not Snow.