PDA

View Full Version : Cheating wife awarded $45M in divorce settlement

BIG_DADDY
03-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Another good story for the why get married thread.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/03/25/national/a074256S33.DTL

Cheating Wife Awarded More Than $40M

Friday, March 25, 2005

Printable Version
Email This Article

(03-25) 07:42 PST Bridgeport, Conn. (AP) --

A judge has awarded the former wife of a multimillionaire businessman a divorce settlement worth more than $40 million even though she admitted having affairs with her rock-climbing guide and a man she met on a flight to China.

In addition to a $24 million payment, Susan Sosin will keep the couple's $3.6 million Manhattan apartment, $2 million Utah ski house and $800,000 home in Wallkill, N.Y. But she has to vacate the couple's two mansions in Connecticut and three desert properties in Arizona.

In the divorce granted Wednesday, she also gets to keep $6 million in her brokerage accounts, eight cars and $2.9 million in jewelry, including a ruby piece her husband had bought for her but hadn't given to her prior to their divorce.

Richard Albrecht, attorney for Sosin's husband, Howard, estimated the total value of the award at $43 million, or 27 percent of the estate. She wanted half, he said.

"My opinion is her conduct in this matter affected the award," Albrecht said.

Susan Sosin's lawyer, Frederick Siegel of Stamford, couldn't be reached for comment Friday. A telephone message was left at his office.

Howard Sosin, 54, who founded AIG Financial Products in 1987, filed for divorce after discovering his wife's relationships in February 2003. During an upgrade of their computer system, he found hundreds of e-mails between his wife and her lover, according to testimony.

Susan Sosin, 51, admitted in testimony that she had become intimate with a guide while rock climbing in 1996, though she said it was a spontaneous and isolated occurrence. During a flight to China in 2000, she met a married man, and that led to a lengthy affair, according to testimony.

"The parties' marriage has been undeniably marred by the defendant's infidelity," Superior Court Judge Howard Owens stated in his verdict. "Although her sexual relationship was not the sole cause of the breakdown, it did effectively terminate the marriage."

Howard Sosin's wealth was estimated at $168 million. Among the assets he gets to keep are $89 million in bank accounts, 10 of the couple's 18 cars, $960,000 worth of private club memberships and $22 million in fine art.

The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.

Howard Sosin served as the president and chief operating officer of AIG Financial Products until 1993 when he left the company. Following litigation, he received $182 million from AIG.

Phobia
03-25-2005, 11:38 AM
The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.

There you go. He deserved everything he got. A zebra doesn't change her stripes.

Rain Man
03-25-2005, 11:41 AM
It's interesting too that he got his money via a lawsuit against his own company. It sounds to me like she's getting money in a roundabout way from people who bought stock in AIG.

Phobia
03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
It sounds to me like she's getting money in a roundabout way from people who bought stock in AIG.

Another InGrate.

Jenny Gump
03-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Was this woman previously married to Phil by any chance?

Bootlegged
03-25-2005, 11:47 AM
gutterslut cumbelchingbuttwhore

Idahored
03-25-2005, 11:47 AM
There you go. He deserved everything he got. A zebra doesn't change her stripes.

Phobia,

Perfectly stated.

alpha_omega
03-25-2005, 11:48 AM

Exactly what i was thinking.

BIG_DADDY
03-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Funny thing....well I guess not so funny thing is we reward women in this country for living that lifestyle. Bounce around from man to man and take their stuff. Our legal system is a joke. I know he should have known better and had a prenup but still the way the system is set up is a joke. It's actually set up to benefit attorneys and guys just happen to be the sacrificial lamb.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Funny thing....well I guess not so funny thing is we reward women in this country for living that lifestyle. Bounce around from man to man and take their stuff. Our legal system is a joke. I know he should have known better and had a prenup but still the way the system is set up is a joke. It's actually set up to benefit attorneys and guys just happen to be the sacrificial lamb.

A prenup wouldn't have saved him in this situation because it sounds like they were married before he accumulated his wealth. That much money is ridiculous if you didn't work for it yourself. Basically got paid to be a whore. Isn't prostitution illegal?

Phobia
03-25-2005, 12:03 PM

That's because attorneys are elected to be our lawmakers. They look out for the profession. That's what is taught in lawschool.

BIG_DADDY
03-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Isn't prostitution illegal?

No it's actually encouraged by our legal system you just have to have a license.

Radar Chief
03-25-2005, 12:05 PM

Should’a been his first clue right there.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-25-2005, 12:07 PM
No it's actually encouraged by our legal system you just have to have a license.

ROFL someone tell Gochiefs so the poor guy can get himself a nice big slice of some poontang pie

Radar Chief
03-25-2005, 12:08 PM

And I should’a read the other posts first.

tk13
03-26-2005, 04:06 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050325/ap_on_re_us/divorce_settlement

Cheating Wife Awarded More Than $40M

Fri Mar 25, 3:30 PM ET U.S. National - AP

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - A judge has awarded the former wife of a multimillionaire businessman a divorce settlement worth more than $40 million even though she admitted having affairs with her rock-climbing guide and a man she met on a flight to China.

In addition to a $24 million payment, Susan Sosin will keep the couple's $3.6 million Manhattan apartment, $2 million Utah ski house and $800,000 home in Wallkill, N.Y. But she has to vacate the couple's two mansions in Connecticut and three desert properties in Arizona.

In the divorce granted Wednesday, she also gets to keep $6 million in her brokerage accounts, eight cars and $2.9 million in jewelry, including a ruby piece her husband had bought for her but hadn't given to her prior to their divorce.

Richard Albrecht, attorney for Sosin's husband, Howard, estimated the total value of the award at $43 million, or 27 percent of the estate. She wanted half, he said.

"My opinion is her conduct in this matter affected the award," Albrecht said.

Susan Sosin's lawyer, Frederic J. Siegel, estimated the total value of the award was about $45 million and said his client asked for about 45 percent of the estate.

"By anybody's standards, it's a large amount of money," Siegel said. "Both parties will be able to move on with their lives."

Siegel said both sides were at fault for the divorce and defended his client as a good mother.

Howard Sosin, 54, who founded AIG Financial Products in 1987, filed for divorce after discovering his wife's relationships in February 2003. During an upgrade of their computer system, he found hundreds of e-mails between his wife and her lover, according to testimony.

Susan Sosin, 51, admitted in testimony that she had become intimate with a guide while rock climbing in 1996, though she said it was a spontaneous and isolated occurrence. During a flight to China in 2000, she met a married man, and that led to a lengthy affair, according to testimony.

"The parties' marriage has been undeniably marred by the defendant's infidelity," Superior Court Judge Howard Owens stated in his verdict. "Although her sexual relationship was not the sole cause of the breakdown, it did effectively terminate the marriage."

Howard Sosin's wealth was estimated at $168 million. Among the assets he gets to keep are $89 million in bank accounts, 10 of the couple's 18 cars, $960,000 worth of private club memberships and $22 million in fine art.

Howard Sosin served as the president and chief operating officer of AIG Financial Products until 1993 when he left the company. Following litigation, he received $182 million from AIG.

keg in kc
03-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Wow. That's a lot of dough. Although, it's not like it should've come as a surprise...The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.My theory is 'once a cheat, always a cheat', a theory my own marriage taught me. Although, there's not much in there about his behavior, either. Maybe there isn't anything to tell, or maybe he had his own indiscretions. Hard to tell without more info.

Still, I guess it's a moral victory, since she wanted half.

In the end, though, my ultimate question is "why am I posting about this. I don't really care". ROFL

Monty
03-26-2005, 04:58 AM
In the end, though, my ultimate question is "why am I posting about this. I don't really care". ROFL

Sure, but I just noticed that the trusty Sugar Mama Meter is pegging right now. :thumb:

KCWolfman
03-26-2005, 06:54 AM
#1. They evidently have kids. If she has custody, then she does deserve a large sum. But 45 mil?

#2. If he met her while she was married to someone else, why would he expect her habits to change?

Herzig
03-26-2005, 07:40 AM
#2. If he met her while she was married to someone else, why would he expect her habits to change?

My thoughts exactly. Ended up being a $43 million dollar mistake. What comes around goes around.

Spott
03-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Once a cheat, always a cheat. But now's she's just a rich cheat. Hopefully that cheating will get her a good case of gonorrhea.

Dayze
03-26-2005, 08:52 AM
I can only hope she'll marry a con-artist to take everything she has.
Leave the wh*re on the street.

the Talking Can
03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
anyone got her #?

PHOG
03-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Should have tooken everything and put it in a trust for the kids not to be opened 'til they reached 35.... :evil:

I wonder what the judge got... :hump:

AirForceChief
03-26-2005, 09:05 AM
#1. They evidently have kids. If she has custody, then she does deserve a large sum. But 45 mil?

The property settlement is seperate from the child custody/child support issue. If she's the custodial parent then she'll reside in the primary residence with the kids. Dad gets to pay monthly support for their kids in addition to what she keeps of the marital estate...

chiefs4me
03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
What a lucky bitch.......she cheats on the first and now second husband and she is rich for life.....:banghead:

Not only do I hope a con artist takes her for what she has......but I also hope she gains a 1000 wrinkles in her face.

Oh yea......she can rot in hell also.:harumph:

Phobia
03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Damn Duplicate posters. That tk13, I swear....

4th and Long
03-26-2005, 09:19 AM
$40,000,000 eh? I wonder if she's still single? :hmmm:

chiefs4me
03-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Damn Duplicate posters. That tk13, I swear....

ROFL.......was this already posted somewhere?

Phobia
03-26-2005, 09:25 AM
ROFL.......was this already posted somewhere?

Yeah - Big Daddy posted it yesterday under "American Justice"

I'm merging them now.

PHOG
03-26-2005, 09:26 AM
The property settlement is seperate from the child custody/child support issue. If she's the custodial parent then she'll reside in the primary residence with the kids. Dad gets to pay monthly support for their kids in addition to what she keeps of the marital estate...

I feel sorry for the kids(unless they're carbon copies of these 2 losers)..

I wonder if they already have obtained legal represntation? :hmmm:

Rain Man
03-26-2005, 09:41 AM
$40,000,000 eh? I wonder if she's still single? :hmmm:

I wouldn't try it. In two years, you'll be broke and she'll have $40,000,100.

ChiefFripp
03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Good for her, I think she deserved half of the estate. This is just more proof that you can't buy love, so it's a good thing in my eyes.

Phobia
03-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Good for her, I think she deserved half of the estate. This is just more proof that you can't buy love, so it's a good thing in my eyes.

Nice post, Your Honor.

el borracho
03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Ah, the sanctity of marriage.

ENDelt260
03-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Kill the bitch.

Bowser
03-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't try it. In two years, you'll be broke and she'll have $40,000,100.

No, no, she only gets HALF, not all!

Bowser
03-26-2005, 02:25 PM
And dude got lucky, if she walked away with only 27% of the stuff. But I must say it's bullshit she got the ruby.

KCWolfman
03-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Child support is used to maintain the current standard of living. To simply award her child support and kick her out would not maintain the childrens' standard of living. Again, I believe the 45 mil is outrageous, but I understand why a sum besides child support was awarded.

StcChief
03-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Fork her, Oh that was the other guy's job.

What a money grubbin' ingrate bitch.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Child support is used to maintain the current standard of living. To simply award her child support and kick her out would not maintain the childrens' standard of living. Again, I believe the 45 mil is outrageous, but I understand why a sum besides child support was awarded.

They brainwashed you.

KCWolfman
03-27-2005, 12:58 AM
They brainwashed you.
Yeah, why the hell does a kid need to live in the manner he has become accustomed?

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:01 AM
I think someone should kill the bit(#, but that's just me...

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah, why the hell does a kid need to live in the manner he has become accustomed?

Why do any of us for that matter? If you could just hand it to the kids it would make it so much simpler wouldn't it? Heaven forbid his child should have to live in a 10 million dollar environment, oh the humanity. Then again if SHE were so worried about his high end lifestyle instead of her own maybe she would just let him live with his father no? The American male has sold his soul the the estrogen goddess and every day I live it becomes more apparent.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:06 AM
I think someone should kill the bit(#, but that's just me...
REP :thumb:

Taco John
03-27-2005, 01:14 AM

Exactly. That's a lesson I learned early when I stole a girl from another guy. I didn't find out until it was too late that it wasn't me doing the stealing... That damn girl left a scar...

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Exactly. That's a lesson I learned early when I stole a girl from another guy. I didn't find out until it was too late that it wasn't me doing the stealing... That damn girl left a scar...

There you go, you deserved it you just said so. Hope you enjoyed the ride Mr. I Deserved Whatever I Got. Like anyone believes you ever touched a willing female anyway, get real.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Never marry a cheating whore. You're just the latest victim. Once a cheat, always a cheat.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:48 AM
Never marry a cheating whore. You're just the latest victim. Once a cheat, always a cheat.

You crazy guys and your commitments.

DATE them, realize the joy in what is TEMPORARY, and move on....

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:50 AM

DATE them, realize the joy in what is TEMPORARY, and move on....

Thank you. Why is that so hard?

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:53 AM

DATE them, realize the joy in what is TEMPORARY, and move on....You're preaching to the choir. I'll never marry again. I also won't ever date again, because I don't even care enough to attempt something transitory. Relationships are a waste of time.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I also won't ever date again, because I don't even care enough to attempt something transitory. Relationships are a waste of time.

Quit letting pain rule your life, your only cheating yourself.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Nothing to do with pain, it's a matter of priorities.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Nothing to do with pain, it's a matter of priorities.
Right.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 02:05 AM
You're preaching to the choir. I'll never marry again. I also won't ever date again-

Yeah well, I learned life's way too umpredictable to ever say never...

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah well, I learned life's way too umpredictable to ever say never...

I'll bet he's remarried within two years. :)

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 02:12 AM
I'll bet he's remarried within two years.Didn't you say that when I separated? That two years has nearly passed. And like I said, my priorities are somewhere else. I need to fix other shit in my life, more important shit like my health and my finances. I might date someday, I guess. It ain't gonna be soon, and my guess is it'll be never. I prefer doing stuff alone. I'm stubborn like that.

I can't believe I'm talking about this crap. ROFL

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Didn't you say that when I separated? That two years has nearly passed. And like I said, my priorities are somewhere else. I need to fix other shit in my life, more important shit like my health and my finances. I might date someday, I guess. It ain't gonna be soon, and my guess is it'll be never. I prefer doing stuff alone. I'm stubborn like that.

You could meet a woman at the grocery store tomorrow who sweeps you off your feet. Life is strange like that.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Didn't you say that when I separated? That two years has nearly passed. And like I said, my priorities are somewhere else. I need to fix other shit in my life, more important shit like my health and my finances. I might date someday, I guess. It ain't gonna be soon, and my guess is it'll be never. I prefer doing stuff alone. I'm stubborn like that.

I can't believe I'm talking about this crap. ROFL

Are you taking anti-depressants?

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 02:16 AM
You could meet a woman at the grocery store tomorrow who sweeps you off your feet. Life is strange like that.Yeah, anything's possible. My point is I'm not looking, I have zero interest.

Although I am going to the grocery later. That's a little odd. Are you spying on me again?

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Are you taking anti-depressants?No. Why? Because I started exercising and working?

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Yeah, anything's possible. My point is I'm not looking, I have zero interest.

Although I am going to the grocery later. That's a little odd. Are you spying on me again?

You generally find them when you quit looking.

And yes, I'm spying on you. The Kyle-cam is hidden in a deviously clever secret location.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 02:21 AM
My point is I'm not looking, I have zero interest.

You have zero interest? ROFL ROFL ROFL Yea right. Sell that shit somewhere else pal cause I ain't buyin.

Lose your game, lose your life and your reason for living.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 02:25 AM
You have zero interest? ROFL ROFL ROFL Yea right. Sell that shit somewhere else pal cause I ain't buyin.

Zero interest is unbelievable you understand that right?

Well unless your gay.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 02:28 AM
You generally find them when you quit looking.I think that happens mainly because the people in question never really quit looking, although they might say they do.

Lemme turn my normal way of talking off for a second. I think most people, at least most people I've met, can't stand doing things alone. I enjoy going out to eat or going to a movie or a ballgame by myself, when I can afford to. It doesn't bother me, and I don't feel like I have "loser" branded on my forehead. It used to, though. Now I have, I don't know, confidence and comfort that I never had before, and I don't really care what people think. I like my life more than I ever have, and I don't see any reason to change it. I don't really want anything to change, except to lose maybe another 20 or 30 pounds, write a lot more and make more money than I do now, so I can afford to do things I enjoy more often. That's what's important to me right now. Maybe my priorities will change later.And yes, I'm spying on you. The Kyle-cam is hidden in a deviously clever secret location.Oh man, that can't be fun. You must have to fast forward past a lot of beating off. At least I hope you fast forward.

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:32 AM
I think that happens mainly because the people in question never really quit looking, although they might say they do.

Lemme turn my normal way of talking off for a second. I think most people, at least most people I've met, can't stand doing things alone. I enjoy going out to eat or going to a movie or a ballgame by myself, when I can afford to. It doesn't bother me, and I don't feel like I have "loser" branded on my forehead. It used to, though. Now I have, I don't know, confidence and comfort that I never had before, and I don't really care what people think. I like my life more than I ever have, and I don't see any reason to change it. I don't really want anything to change, except to lose maybe another 20 or 30 pounds, write a lot more and make more money than I do now, so I can afford to do things I enjoy more often. That's what's important to me right now. Maybe my priorities will change later.

All I'm saying is never say never. Love's an insidious bitch (as you well know).

Anyway, I'm out. Later.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 02:39 AM
You have zero interest? Yea right. Sell that shit somewhere else pal cause I ain't buyin. :shrug:

Don't know what to tell you. It's the truth.

I'm not gonna waste time trying to explain it, though. I'm not sure I can, in so many words, and I'm not sure you'd understand it even if I could. I don't think like you think. That's not any kind of shot at you or anything like that; I just believe our brains work differently. Different things are important to each of us. And that's cool.

Besides, who cares anyway. There's better shit to talk about on this board than me. I'm out, too. I've wasted a bunch of hours here tonight when I should've been doing something constructive.

tk13
03-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Besides, who cares anyway. There's better shit to talk about on this board than me.

And I was just about to make a motion for a keg in kc sub-forum... :)

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 02:48 AM
I think that happens mainly because the people in question never really quit looking, although they might say they do.

Lemme turn my normal way of talking off for a second. I think most people, at least most people I've met, can't stand doing things alone. I enjoy going out to eat or going to a movie or a ballgame by myself, when I can afford to. It doesn't bother me, and I don't feel like I have "loser" branded on my forehead. It used to, though. Now I have, I don't know, confidence and comfort that I never had before, and I don't really care what people think. I like my life more than I ever have, and I don't see any reason to change it. I don't really want anything to change, except to lose maybe another 20 or 30 pounds, write a lot more and make more money than I do now, so I can afford to do things I enjoy more often. That's what's important to me right now. Maybe my priorities will change later.Oh man, that can't be fun. You must have to fast forward past a lot of beating off. At least I hope you fast forward.

There is a big difference between "I am happy with my life the way it is" and "I have zero interest". One is based upon on a different course of action protecting first out of fear of pain or losing control. The other is a life based upon a complete lack of testicular fortitude. I hope your the 1st.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 03:10 AM
There is a big difference between "I am happy with my life the way it is" and "I have zero interest". One is based upon on a different course of action protecting first out of fear of pain or losing control. The other is a life based upon a complete lack of testicular fortitude. I hope your the 1st.How about "I have zero interest because I like my life the way it is". Although there's no fear of pain or losing control; it's more a matter of gaining stability rather than losing it. I was out of control for a long time, did a lot of shit that wasn't the kind of stuff I want to be doing with my life. I wasted a lot of time that I can't get back and none of that has anything to do with my ex-wife. How I choose to live now is based on becoming who and what I want to be. It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else and it doesn't require anyone else.

Although I'm sure if I ran into frazod's hypothetical girl of my dreams (she'd have to be an absolute f*cking goddess...) in the grocery tomorrow I wouldn't turn my back on her and walk away.And I was just about to make a motion for a keg in kc sub-forum... Just when I thought there couldn't possibly be a slower forum than the Royals page. ROFL

Rausch
03-27-2005, 03:24 AM

Holy $3it! That's so brutal and to the point I'm kicking walls for not saying it...

Rausch
03-27-2005, 03:26 AM
How about "I have zero interest because I like my life the way it is". Although there's no fear of pain or losing control; it's more a matter of gaining stability rather than losing it. I was out of control for a long time, did a lot of shit that wasn't the kind of stuff I want to be doing with my life. I wasted a lot of time that I can't get back and none of that has anything to do with my ex-wife. How I choose to live now is based on becoming who and what I want to be. It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else and it doesn't require anyone else.

I only wish I were there so I could grab you by the wrist, throw some strong and corrosive acid on your hand, and then smack you HARD across the face...

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 03:50 AM
I only wish I were there so I could grab you by the wrist, throw some strong and corrosive acid on your hand, and then smack you HARD across the face...Why?

Coach
03-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Kill the bitch.

That sounds like a good idea. Then split the money and make a run for it.

JazzzLovr
03-27-2005, 12:08 PM
There is a big difference between "I am happy with my life the way it is" and "I have zero interest". One is based upon on a different course of action protecting first out of fear of pain or losing control. The other is a life based upon a complete lack of testicular fortitude. I hope your the 1st.

Please don't try to psychoanalyze keg. It's almost painful to witness.

Don't take any preconceived ideas into this conversation. You and Kyle are two completely different people. What works for you isn't necessarily going to work for him, and vice versa. If he feels better about his life the way it is now than the way it was before, then, evidently, whatever he's doing seems to be working. Don't dismiss that, just because it's not the way you would handle it.

Besides, I believe that he is honest enough with himself that if you were correct, he would see your point and admit that it might be the case. However, instead he has found several different ways of trying to explain otherwise. Sorry, but I think you're way off on this one.

And on that note, I'll go ahead and move this to our new keg in kc sub-forum... ;)

SBK
03-27-2005, 01:05 PM

Yep. I thought the same thing. ROFL