PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Merriman...Vermeil loves the guy

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Heard Merriman say it himself in an interview with Mel Kiper on ESPN.
Merriman says he was the only coach to talk with him at length and attend all personal workouts...he says he has a feeling KC will pick him if Dallas passes him over.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 02:10 PM
By the way...he compared himself to Lavar Arrington...

:thumb:

Luzap
03-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Tell us about him.

Luz
please...

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Plays with a mean streak and can hold ground at the point of attack. Doesn't always use hands well; has problems making the play once an offensive lineman locks on. Must show better leverage at the point of attack. Grade: 7.8

Bowser
03-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a project. We'll probablly take him.

HolmeZz
03-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I'd take him if the top 3 corners were off the board.

Count Zarth
03-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm onboard. If we can get him I bet he plays alot at OLB and puts his hand down in passing situations.

DTLB58
03-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Shawne is one of 6 players I have on my 1st round wish list.

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/merriman_shawne00.html

On Merriman : Third-year player with tremendous physical skills ... set to start at one defensive end position after playing the hybrid "Leo" position last year ... has great size and athleticism ... a big hitter ... an honors candidate who was one of the best pass rushers in the league last year ... has shown flashes of greatness the last two years ... an Iron Terp the last two years who posted a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 385-pound bench and a 590-pound squat on testing day ... 41 1/2-inch vertical jump from 2003 was the best ever by a Maryland defensive lineman.
Personal: Shawne Merriman is the son of Gloria Williams ... majoring in criminology and criminal justice ... thought of and helped organize a coat drive at one of this past year's basketball game that brought in over 3,200 coats for the "Creative Community for Non-Violence" shelter.

My other five:
David Pollack
Pac Man Jones
Derrick Johnson
Antrel Rolle
Matt Roth

DenverChief
03-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Plays with a mean streak and can hold ground at the point of attack.

Doesn't always use hands well; has problems making the play once an offensive lineman locks on.

Must show better leverage at the point of attack. Grade: 7.8

Hey man can you fix that so we don't have to scroll?

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Derrick Johnson :grovel:

The Bad Guy
03-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Take him at 15 and send the 2 for Surtain.

Starting lineup for 05...

Hicks, Sims, Dalton, Allen
Fujita, Bell, Merriman
Surtain, Knight, Wesley, Warfield.

Sounds good to me.

DTLB58
03-26-2005, 02:48 PM

Fujita, Bell, Merriman

Sounds good to me.

I agree with the exception of Hicks, I would find a replacement.

Count Zarth
03-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I agree with the exception of Hicks, I would find a replacement.

Not going to happen. That is the sad truth.

philfree
03-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Fujita, Bell, Merriman

Sounds good to me.

I would think Merriman would plat LDE for the Chiefs instead of OLB. He was 270 lbs at the combine so I think he's big enough........

PhilFree:arrow:

shaneo69
03-26-2005, 03:32 PM
How about.....draft Merriman to play Hicks' position, as I thought I remember CP saying he'd have to play with his hand on the ground. Trade the 2nd for Surtain, and sign Holdman to play WLB.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 05:06 PM
According to draft expert Gil Brandt, Merriman was impressive. He proved he has the athletic ability to play end or linebacker. Prominently mentioned in reports was the presence of Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. The Chiefs hold the 15th pick, but Merriman could be off the board by the time the Chiefs pick.

Big Chief Homer
03-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Heard Merriman say it himself in an interview with Mel Kiper on ESPN.
Merriman says he was the only coach to talk with him at length and attend all personal workouts...he says he has a feeling KC will pick him if Dallas passes him over.

that would be awesome.but only if we get a cb in F/a and Derrick Johnson will be gone.

Merrimen is 3rd pick after johnson and rolle.I saw an interview with him on nfl network and he seemed to say all the right things.says the guys on the team call him "lights out" for the hits he makes.He said thats his favorite part of the game.Maybe he could share that with the rest of our D.

milkman
03-26-2005, 06:57 PM
If DickWad really likes him, then I'd stay as far away from him as I could.

No way I'd want him withour pick.
DickWad doesn't know jack about D talent, and wouldn't know a good player if he stepped up and punched him in the mouth.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 07:14 PM
How can you not love a player that hits like a truck, has incredible leadership qualities, has a 41 vertical leap (better than almost every player at ANY position), has speed to burn, and is a clone of Lavar Arrington? EVERY team in the league wants a Lavar Arrington!
Besides the three corners...Rolle, Jones, and Rogers....and LB Derrick Johnson and DE Erasmus James...and maybe DT Travis Johnson... Merriman is the nest highest rated player. We'd get the 7th best defensive player available...and he fills our needs.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Kiper has him rated as the 4th best defensive player available...
and 11th overall. :eek:

ZootedGranny
03-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Even though we don't have the linebackers, or even the d-line personnel to run it, I find it interesting that the Chiefs have been checking players out that would be great in a 3-4. I haven't kept up on every single draft prospect they have looked at, but the 3 I know of are Merriman (DE/OLB hybrid), Ware (same), and Carlos Rogers (the exception).

With them reportedly having interest in Hartwell after signing Bell, we might see some more of the Falcon type formation we saw at the end of the season with Fujita. I know against the Raiders, they brought another backer out and had Fujita playing right on the line next to Hicks.

I welcome it. I'm hoping the Chiefs draft Rogers, because I think he may be even more of a sure bet at CB than Rolle, who I also like. At the same time, you can't ignore Maerriman's beast-like numbers. On the other hand, we need a LaVar Arrington, minus the inconsistency. Out of college Arrington looked to be an unstoppable force, but as good as he has been at times, he hasn't been exactly the force he should be.

All that said, I'm all for the Chiefs drafting a replacement for Hicks.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Very well said Zoot

keg in kc
03-26-2005, 08:40 PM
I thought I remember CP saying he'd have to play with his hand on the groundHe did say that, in a radio interview.

Hydrae
03-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Why do we still keep looking at these tweeners? I would rather have someone who is slated for a particular position than these guys that are too small for the line but not fast enough as a backer (see Gary Stills).

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Why do we still keep looking at these tweeners? I would rather have someone who is slated for a particular position than these guys that are too small for the line but not fast enough as a backer (see Gary Stills).

There are plenty of DEs that weigh in the 270s.