PDA

View Full Version : Clayton reportson espn radio..DV wants a corner ASAP

Big Chief Homer
03-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I was in the truck listening to espn's the huddle. Salisbury and Clayton were taking emails. A guy emailed and asked what the Chiefs should do about a corner.

Clayton said he spoke to DV at the owners meetings and he was told DV wants a Deal done by the end of the weekend. (being its Easter i highly doubt it.) He stated DV wants Surtain because hes younger and wants a player who will be able to practice as soon as OTA's start. Vermiel is pushing CP to get the deal done. He wants the corner situation handled by the draft.

All he said about law was DV wants either Corner.If a deal for Surtain doesnt materialize. He wants Law under contract.DV told him he wants one of them. According to Clayton we will have either Surtain or Law in Red and Gold before the Draft.

Take it as it is... more speculation,but clayton is usually pretty reliable.

also,I read in another post we offered a contract to jay williams. Is that true? or more made up B.S.

thanks,BCH

Frazod
03-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Get it done, Carl. NOW. :grr:

Skip Towne
03-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Get it done, Carl. NOW. :grr:
Nope, dicking around is part of his tough negotiator persona. He thinks they will come to him. Usually they go elsewhere.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-26-2005, 07:20 PM
there was an article in a paper a day or two ago saying William's agent said the Chiefs & Rams had both made him an offer. This one was in a paper today:

On to the Rams: Defensive end Jay Williams, an unrestricted free agent, will visit the Rams on Tuesday, agent Ron Del Duca said.

Williams has visited the Chiefs and has been in contact with them, but has not yet received an offer.

who knows :shrug:

Mr. Laz
03-26-2005, 07:35 PM
they had a chance to "get a corner ASAP" for a month now.

if they hadn't jacked around earlier when they had like 10 cornerback options they wouldn't need to be "rushed"

Bowser
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM

if they hadn't jacked around earlier when they had like 10 cornerback options they wouldn't need to be "rushed"

Yep.

If they were smart, they wouldn't stop at Surtain. I say we need another linebacker to make the offseason complete.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 07:51 PM
If they were smart, they wouldn't stop at Surtain. I say we need another linebacker to make the offseason complete

I'm of the mind Vermeil wants these things done...

1) Sign Surtain if only we can get him and not give up our second round pick...otherwise we sign Law. Simple as that.

2) With the two top corners gone, and a deep CB class, Vermeil will pick Shawne Merriman with our 1st round pick..otherwise trade down. This guy can be a starter right away and learn from Bell, and from what I heard he's a heavy hitter with great leadership qualities. A Lavar Arrington clone...who can make the same impact his first year as Vilma did in New York. We only hope he makes it past the Cowboys...but I think the Cowboys want Pac-man first. Merriman, Bell, Mitchell...nice.

3) Our second round pick will be a WR...simply because we have filled our LB spots with a FA in Bell and a 1st round pick in DE/LB Merriman.
Chris Henry should be there...and a steal where we pick. We'll pick up a corner in the third round.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 07:57 PM
BTW...Merriman has a 41 inch vertical leap...better than almost every player in any position. I sense a lot of knocked-down throws... :thumb:

Rausch
03-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Yep.

If they were smart, they wouldn't stop at Surtain. I say we need another linebacker to make the offseason complete.

Has Fujita even been resigned? I thought he was a RFA without a contract...

stevieray
03-26-2005, 08:01 PM

why do you assume that every free agent wants to play here, but the Chiefs just didn't make it happen?

i'm just glad the urgency still exists.

Bowser
03-26-2005, 08:04 PM

They tendered him the one year deal, but that doesn't mean someone can't swoop in and try and steal him.

I have come to the conclusion that our LB corps would look good with Scott Fujita, Kendrell Bell, and Jamie Sharper. Which means it won't even come close to happening.

Coach
03-26-2005, 08:04 PM

He is a RFA without a contract, however the Chiefs have offered him the vet. minimum. Haven't heard anything since if he accepted it or whatnot.

Dunit35
03-26-2005, 08:05 PM
I think Fujita has signed the tender offer from KC. Im pretty sure but not 100% positive

Rausch
03-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I have come to the conclusion that our LB corps would look good with Scott Fujita, Kendrell Bell, and Jamie Sharper. Which means it won't even come close to happening.

At this point I want any LB either Capers or Cowher drafted/coached...

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 08:07 PM
have come to the conclusion that our LB corps would look good with Scott Fujita, Kendrell Bell, and Jamie Sharper. Which means it won't even come close to happening

you're right...Sharper signed with the Vikings already.

Bowser
03-26-2005, 08:12 PM

See? I'm a jeenyus!!!!11!!

:doh!:

Bowser
03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
See? I'm a jeenyus!!!!11!!

:doh!:

Waitaminnit! I'm talking about JAMIE Sharper, linebacker for the Texans, not DARREN Sharper, ex-safety for the Packers!

Looks like you are more jeenyuser than me! ;)

beer bacon
03-26-2005, 08:14 PM

Wrong Sharper. He is talking about Jamie Sharper, the LB from the Texans. You are talking about Sharper, the safety from GB.

CanadaKC
03-26-2005, 08:15 PM
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrry! :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
03-26-2005, 08:50 PM
why do you assume that every free agent wants to play here, but the Chiefs just didn't make it happen?

so you hinting that all 10 upper tier cornerbacks in free agency didn't want to sign in KC except for Rolle and that just didn't work out?

man ... pretty harsh when so many players don't want to come to KC

why is that?

TRR
03-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Here are my thoughts on the FA/Draft, and I think they apply to this thread.

The draft should be viewed as adding depth. Nothing more. Even 1st round picks shouldn't be counted on to come in and make a significant contribution. If a team has holes, like KC's D, they should fill every hole in FA. Now every hole doesn't need to be filled by a Superstar (with the cap, it couldn't be).

By filling your holes through FA, it always you to (1) draft the best player on the board, and (2) removes any chance or risk of the draft.

We've counted on the Sims', Morris', Freeman's, Downing's, and Minnis' of the NFL draft. It is time to eliminate the risk, and make sure we fill a need with a FA player.

Bowser
03-26-2005, 08:58 PM

The draft should be viewed as adding depth. Nothing more. Even 1st round picks shouldn't be counted on to come in and make a significant contribution. If a team has holes, like KC's D, they should fill every hole in FA. Now every hole doesn't need to be filled by a Superstar (with the cap, it couldn't be).

By filling your holes through FA, it always you to (1) draft the best player on the board, and (2) removes any chance or risk of the draft.

We've counted on the Sims', Morris', Freeman's, Downing's, and Minnis' of the NFL draft. It is time to eliminate the risk, and make sure we fill a need with a FA player.

I've no problem with this.

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Get Surtain, then if Derrick Johnson is in range do whatever it takes, because KC's window of oppurtunity is closing fast

TRR
03-26-2005, 09:04 PM
I've no problem with this.

I think the problem many will have with it is that FA players aren't guaranteed fixes either. However, I think proven FA players are much more of a sure thing than an NFL rookie. I am now of the opinion that I do not count on any rookie, regardless of the round, contributing in any way...shape...or form. They either are extremely raw, extremely bad, end up injuring themselves before or during the season, or Vermeil doesn't play them.

That's why I say trade for Surtain.

milkman
03-26-2005, 09:25 PM

I disagree.
You have to find players in both the draft and FA that contribute.

You can not rely solely on FA to fill needs. It's nearly as big a crapshoot as the draft.

TRR
03-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I disagree.
You have to find players in both the draft and FA that contribute.

You can not rely solely on FA to fill needs. It's nearly as big a crapshoot as the draft.

(1) I respect your opinion.

(2) I didn't say "rely solely", I just said that the KC brass and fans alike should draft on the assumption that all picks will be nothing but depth their first couple of years, cutting out half the risk.

Here is an example for you. Say we pickup a player like Andre Dyson. We have filled a hole at the CB spot. However, say KC drafts Pac Man in the first round, and he beats out Dyson...Great! However, what if we don't sign Dyson, and draft Pac Man to come in and be our starter...Relying on an unproven rook? That is where I think KC really has made several mistakes in the past.

milkman
03-26-2005, 09:47 PM
(1) I respect your opinion.

(2) I didn't say "rely solely", I just said that the KC brass and fans alike should draft on the assumption that all picks will be nothing but depth their first couple of years, cutting out half the risk.

Here is an example for you. Say we pickup a player like Andre Dyson. We have filled a hole at the CB spot. However, say KC drafts Pac Man in the first round, and he beats out Dyson...Great! However, what if we don't sign Dyson, and draft Pac Man to come in and be our starter...Relying on an unproven rook? That is where I think KC really has made several mistakes in the past.

Gotcha. :thumb:
Good point!

keg in kc
03-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think we'll see Surtain until draft weekend. But Clayton is certainly much better connected than I am. He's probably actually talked to someone.

Count Alex's Losses
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
When IS the draft?

keg in kc
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
When IS the draft?April 23-24

whoman69
03-26-2005, 10:05 PM

We've been drafting for depth since Vermeil got here. That's why all our picks turn out to be backups. We have no way to fill all our holes in FA. After getting a CB we will still need starting roles filled at the other CB spot until Warfield comes back, and we need a OLB for Barber's spot.

Do you get the feeling from this article with DV going over CPs head, that he feels that CP is sandbagging on him? Could it be that Carl doesn't want to have to negotiate the cap if we win the SB and that Carl won't have as big a profit with a SB champion?

TRR
03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
We've been drafting for depth since Vermeil got here. That's why all our picks turn out to be backups. We have no way to fill all our holes in FA. After getting a CB we will still need starting roles filled at the other CB spot until Warfield comes back, and we need a OLB for Barber's spot.

Do you get the feeling from this article with DV going over CPs head, that he feels that CP is sandbagging on him? Could it be that Carl doesn't want to have to negotiate the cap if we win the SB and that Carl won't have as big a profit with a SB champion?

I completely disagree that we have been drafting for depth. We moved up/gave up how much to get Ryan Sims? And we counted on him from the beginning. We drafted Larry Johnson to possibly be the starter if Priest Holmes couldn't come back from his hip injury.

You don't know anymore than I do on the Warfield suspension. I've read that Warfield will get suspended 2-4 games, and I've read that he won't be suspended at all. Same goes for Barber. I've read that Barber could be placed on the PUP list, and I've read that Barber could be back by the middle of Preseason.

I disagree that we can't find ways to fill every hole in FA. If Peterson wanted to, he could make it work.

The reason I disagree with your reply is that you consider holes as suspensions/injuries. I see CB as a hole opposite Warfield. Your seeing a temporary hole. That is what drafting for "depth" fixes. Temporary holes.

stevieray
03-26-2005, 10:22 PM
so you hinting that all 10 upper tier cornerbacks in free agency didn't want to sign in KC except for Rolle and that just didn't work out?

man ... pretty harsh when so many players don't want to come to KC

why is that?

Did all ten free agents come here? Can you say that you knew where all ten cb's were going to end up? And why? We cannot assume to know what every player feels, thinks, or strives for when interviewing with any team. We do know that the best cb in the league when healthy WANTS to play here.

We didn't offer Rolle chump change....some organizations are willing to take chances on players with questions regarding their health. Some aren't, especially when paying that kind of money. If the NFL is a business, these precautions are not out of the realm of trying to make smart aquisitions.

Let's at least wait to see what the opening day roster looks like before we conclude that nobody wants to play in KC.

Mr. Laz
03-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Did all ten free agents come here? Can you say that you knew where all ten cb's were going to end up? And why? We cannot assume to know what every player feels, thinks, or strives for when interviewing with any team. We do know that the best cb in the league when healthy WANTS to play here.

We didn't offer Rolle chump change....some organizations are willing to take chances on players with questions regarding their health. Some aren't, especially when paying that kind of money. If the NFL is a business, these precautions are not out of the realm of trying to make smart aquisitions.

Let's at least wait to see what the opening day roster looks like before we conclude that nobody wants to play in KC.

im not the one saying that players didn't want to come here ... you are.

the chiefs only brought in 3 cornerbacks (baxter,Rolle,herndon)

herndon is a 2nd tier guy and baxter left as quickly as he came.

why didn't we bring in the rest of them?

unless your saying that smoot,lucas etc were all asked to visit and just turned the chiefs down flat because they didn't want to play here.

so which is it?

1. the chiefs didn't try to bring them in

or

2. those free agents didn't want to play here.

which is the problem ... the chiefs Front office or kansas city itself?

maybe the players don't want to come here because the fans suck?

i'm interested to see how you resolve your need for a positive stance on everything.

philfree
03-27-2005, 11:49 AM

No I don't. And just exactly where over CPs head is DV gonna go? I didn't think this was an Article anyways, just a relayed report from the radio. Bedides that I bet Carl gets a big bonus if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl.

PhilFree:arrow:

bricks
03-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Get Surtain, then if Derrick Johnson is in range do whatever it takes, because KC's window of oppurtunity is closing fast

Exactly. Well said. 2 of the best players available at the 2 postions the Chiefs need to fill most. Nuff said.

jspchief
03-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Rufus and Gretz are teaming up on an article explaining how "classless and deranged" Vermeil is for wanting something done quickly and doing it through the guaranteed failure that is FA instead of the tried and true Patriots way...

bricks
03-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Rufus and Gretz are teaming up on an article explaining how "classless and deranged" Vermeil is for wanting something done quickly and doing it through the guaranteed failure that is FA instead of the tried and true Patriots way...

Your not serious about that are you?

whoman69
03-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I completely disagree that we have been drafting for depth. We moved up/gave up how much to get Ryan Sims? And we counted on him from the beginning. We drafted Larry Johnson to possibly be the starter if Priest Holmes couldn't come back from his hip injury.

You don't know anymore than I do on the Warfield suspension. I've read that Warfield will get suspended 2-4 games, and I've read that he won't be suspended at all. Same goes for Barber. I've read that Barber could be placed on the PUP list, and I've read that Barber could be back by the middle of Preseason.

I disagree that we can't find ways to fill every hole in FA. If Peterson wanted to, he could make it work.

The reason I disagree with your reply is that you consider holes as suspensions/injuries. I see CB as a hole opposite Warfield. Your seeing a temporary hole. That is what drafting for "depth" fixes. Temporary holes.
Still need a nickle back even if Warfield isn't suspended. The only thing I've seen on Barber states he might not be ready until midseason. If he's out that long, who can say that he would be ready at all.
I say we have been drafting for depth because our 2nd round picks and later we're immediately slotted to go into backup roles with no mention of them being good enough to compete for a bigger job. We have traded away our first round draft pick twice out of four drafts since DV got here. We have been picking players for at least the last half dozen years based upon their potential, and not from what they bring to the field. None of them have lived up to that potential. We have passed on more talented players in order to get that one big score. They have really shown their genious for choosing duds. When you have one of the worst defenses in the league so many years running, you have to believe that even a rookie could step in and do better. So far, we haven't even tried. Its time to stop drafting those guys that could be a terror in 4-5 years if they ever learn how to play the game and get some guys that already know how to play. The other teams have been smart enough to wait on the type players we draft in round 2 and get them in round 4-5 where they belong.

splatbass
03-27-2005, 12:30 PM
When you have one of the worst defenses in the league so many years running, you have to believe that even a rookie could step in and do better. So far, we haven't even tried.

Two words: Jared Allen.

Uncle_Ted
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM

What are you planning on trading away to get both Surtain and Johnson? Assuming we give up our second for Surtain, and cannot trade our third (comp pick), now you're talking future draft picks. I don't see us trading next year's first to move up to get Johnson. (Conventional wisdom is that future draft picks are discounted one round.)

If we trade for Surtain, I think that we'll try to move DOWN in the first to pick up someone else's second round or high third round pick.

Tribal Warfare
03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
What are you planning on trading away to get both Surtain and Johnson? Assuming we give up our second for Surtain, and cannot trade our third (comp pick), now you're talking future draft picks. I don't see us trading next year's first to move up to get Johnson. (Conventional wisdom is that future draft picks are discounted one round.)

If we trade for Surtain, I think that we'll try to move DOWN in the first to pick up someone else's second round or high third round pick.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113032

calling my shot like the Johnny Morton situation a few years back

stevieray
03-27-2005, 03:28 PM
im not the one saying that players didn't want to come here ... you are.

the chiefs only brought in 3 cornerbacks (baxter,Rolle,herndon)

herndon is a 2nd tier guy and baxter left as quickly as he came.

why didn't we bring in the rest of them?

unless your saying that smoot,lucas etc were all asked to visit and just turned the chiefs down flat because they didn't want to play here.

so which is it?

1. the chiefs didn't try to bring them in

or

2. those free agents didn't want to play here.

which is the problem ... the chiefs Front office or kansas city itself?

maybe the players don't want to come here because the fans suck?

i'm interested to see how you resolve your need for a positive stance on everything.

Players schedule visits with teams, some visit all before signing, some with just one team. You schedule players that (a) you think can help and (b) that you can AFFORD. The Chiefs were not cheap with Hartwell or Rolle, who according to some, were the best FA's we needed.

Unless you think KC deserves to be first in line on visits, always saying that they aren't trying is silly.

Since we've visited my resolve, let's take a look at yours. We've got a HC who is still urgent about finding a CB...cue Laz to remind of how they let you down by not bringing in every FA and signing them before 31 other teams.

Mr. Laz
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Players schedule visits with teams, some visit all before signing, some with just one team. You schedule players that (a) you think can help and (b) that you can AFFORD. The Chiefs were not cheap with Hartwell or Rolle, who according to some, were the best FA's we needed.

Unless you think KC deserves to be first in line on visits, always saying that they aren't trying is silly.

Since we've visited my resolve, let's take a look at yours. We've got a HC who is still urgent about finding a CB...cue Laz to remind of how they let you down by not bringing in every FA and signing them before 31 other teams.

can someone give me a decoder ring version for this one please

whoman69
03-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Two words: Jared Allen.
Does anyone here believe that Jared Allen would have gotten nearly as much consideration had Holliday not gone down, and continued his mediocre play? The only time we give a rookie a chance is when we have to throw them into the fire because of injury.

milkman
03-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Does anyone here believe that Jared Allen would have gotten nearly as much consideration had Holliday not gone down, and continued his mediocre play? The only time we give a rookie a chance is when we have to throw them into the fire because of injury.

I agree.
If not for Holliday's injury, we would not only still be in the dark about Allen's talent and potential, we'd probably all be sitting here wondering the same about Holliday as we are about Morton.

That being, why is he still on the roster?

beer bacon
03-27-2005, 07:37 PM

This brings up an important point. Why was Fox not starting when we were so depleted at LB that even Caver was getting a ton of playing time? I don't care that he got injured early in the season or if he didn't look ready in practice. We have nothing to lose. Throw him in and see how he handles it. At the very least you can get him some much needed experience.

Woodrow Call
03-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Update from Peter King

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/03/27/mmqb.owners.meetings/

2. Saban loves draft picks: He wants more draft picks. He is in mourning over the fact the Dolphins don't have their second-round selection this year (they dealt it for A.J. Feeley last year), and I see him holding out for a second- or a third-round pick for cornerback Patrick Surtain. Right now, the best offer out there for Surtain is Kansas City's fourth-round pick.
You can bet that Miami will have at least one more first-day draft pick on April 23.

tk13
03-27-2005, 10:02 PM
And now we know why Carl's playing hardball, he knows he's in the lead....

milkman
03-27-2005, 10:07 PM
And now we know why Carl's playing hardball, he knows he's in the lead....

No, we don't know anything more than we did before.
It's Peter King'
I wouldn't believe that worthless S.O.B. if he told us there's red in the Chiefs unis.

Luzap
03-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Go Carl !!!

Luz
bet we end up giving a third...

J Diddy
03-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Go Carl !!!

Luz
bet we end up giving a third...

I don't know why we're fretting a 2nd for a quality cb. It seems to me to draft a quality player in the 2nd is doing good.

tk13
03-27-2005, 10:15 PM
No, we don't know anything more than we did before.
It's Peter King'
I wouldn't believe that worthless S.O.B. if he told us there's red in the Chiefs unis.
Well I wouldn't put an ounce of stock in his football "analysis", there are probably hundreds of people on this board who could make better predictions than him, but I don't know if he's that horrific with his sources, is he? I thought he predicted ahead of time that the Chiefs were going to get Kendrell Bell... maybe not. It sounds like he got his info from a Dolphins source, if anything they'd probably want to act like they were driving up the price... who knows I guess.

Bowser
03-27-2005, 10:34 PM
We're offering a fourth for a 29 year old pro bowl corner?

I can see Saban looking at Carl, rolling his eyes, letting out a deep breath, and saying "Well, let me take this to my manager. I just don't think he'll go for it.....". He returns in about twenty minutes saying "Good news! I've gotten him to agree to throw in Jeff Zygonia, a proven vet leader! But, it's going to cost you your second. Now, if I could just get you to sign here......." Carl accepts, as long as he geets the undercoating and new floorboard mats.

:shake:

The Bad Guy
03-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Carl Peterson gladly hands over a conditional 3 and a 5 for Welbourn, who was switching positions when we were the only suitor and he is only offering a 4th for Surtain.

This organization is run by ****ing goofs.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 10:56 PM
If nobody else is offering more, I don't see the problem. This isn't charity. It's a game of chicken right now and I'd take it right up to the day of the draft. There's no rush and there's no reason to panic.

HolmeZz
03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Miami can't get any better than a 4th from us?

chiefsfolife
03-28-2005, 12:23 AM
why not if a fourth is the best offer...I believe there is a good chance we are willing give up a third and maybee a second but why would you if a fourth is the best offer...carl owns the dolphins now

beer bacon
03-28-2005, 12:29 AM
why not if a fourth is the best offer...I believe there is a good chance we are willing give up a third and maybee a second but why would you if a fourth is the best offer...carl owns the dolphins now

The basic premise is that having the best offer now does not guarantee that we will have the best offer forever. The longer Carl takes with this the more likely it is that other teams will decide to enter the fray. It is also somewhat likely that Saban would rather keep Surtain and swallow his cap then give him away for a 4th round pick. In essence if this occurs then we we will have lost to ourselves.

At the very least Carl could try to package some picks from next year and this year if he wants to wiggle out of giving fair compensation.

Luzap
03-28-2005, 01:40 AM
...It is also somewhat likely that Saban would rather keep Surtain and swallow his cap then give him away for a 4th round pick. In essence if this occurs then we we will have lost to ourselves.

At the very least Carl could try to package some picks from next year and this year if he wants to wiggle out of giving fair compensation.

Hey, I'll negotiate against you anytime :)

Luz
now, if i could just get you to manage my favorite bmw dealership...

beer bacon
03-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Hey, I'll negotiate against you anytime :)

Luz
now, if i could just get you to manage my favorite bmw dealership...

It is funny that after all the times Carl's negotiating style has backfired on him there are still people that love his "savvy" busy tactics. Maybe if Carl didn't spend days, weeks or months low balling people or organizations in search of the ultimate deal that only super hardass Carl Peterson could get we would not find ourselves in situations such as this.

Perhaps instead of seeking to squeeze every penny out of every contract, or in this case decrease the trade picks given to Miami to the absolute minimum, Carl should act out of character and be decisive for once. Carl is the type of guy that instead of buying a diamond ring for his wife at a fair price would buy a piece of coal and stick it up his ass in hopes that eventually it will be a diamond. The problem is, by the time that coal turns into a diamond Carl will be long dead and his wife will have ****ed every pool boy in the KC metro area.