PDA

View Full Version : Dutton: Gotay, Teahen likely to win starting jobs

tk13
03-27-2005, 02:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/11239776.htm

Royals' roster almost settled
Gotay, Teahen likely to get starting jobs

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

SURPRISE, Ariz. — Look for rookies Ruben Gotay and Mark Teahen in the Royals' infield when they open the 2005 season April 4 at Detroit.

The club firmed up its roster Saturday morning by shuttling six players to minor-league camp and moved closer to decisions on several of the spring's competitive issues.

“The direction of the club has the greatest say in determining who is going to play,” general manager Allard Baird said. “We want our position players and pitchers to come up in unison, but we also have to believe they are mentally ready to handle the big leagues and develop the way we expect them to.”

Baird left no doubt that he considers Gotay, 22, and Teahen, 23, ready to make the jump to full-time duty at second base and third base.

“We're pretty pleased with both of those guys in terms of their approach,” he said. “With Gotay, you look at what he's done performance-wise. That's what stands out for everyone. But we're also looking at how he's developed here defensively and how he's improved his offensive approach.

“Teahen came into this clubhouse like any young player in camp for the first time. He has handled himself with quiet class. To me, that's a good indicator.”

The six official moves Saturday consisted of optioning right-hander Ambiorix Burgos to Class AA Wichita and reassigning five players to minor-league camp: right-handers Ryan Jensen, Justin Huisman and Santiago Ramirez, infielder Luis Ugueto and outfielder Matt Diaz.

The moves leave 38 players in camp, although three players are expected to begin the season on the disabled list: infielder Chris Clapinski, right-hander Scott Sullivan and third baseman Chris Truby.

Baird said the club will reduce its roster to the 25-man limit “without a doubt” before breaking camp after Thursday's game against the Rangers.

The decision to start Gotay relegates veteran Tony Graffanino, 32, to a utility role as he works to regain strength in his right shoulder and recover from a sprained left ankle.

Club officials met Saturday with Graffanino, who said Friday that he deserved to retain his job as the starting second baseman if he could demonstrate he is healthy in the final few days of camp.

“We don't see him being ready to play on an everyday basis,” Baird said, “even though he expects to be ready. We'll have to still wait and see whether he'll be able to go in a utility role at the start.”

Gotay batted .270 in 44 games last season as a rookie and has been the club's most-productive hitter in spring training, batting .344 with six homers and 17 RBIs. Teahen has never played in the majors and is batting .353 this spring with one homer and seven RBIs.

Neither Gotay nor Teahen has officially won a starting job.

“There are a lot of rumors,” Gotay said, “but I don't pay attention to that. I'm just trying to finish strong.”

Here's how the roster shapes up in other areas:

• Rotation: Jose Lima will start the season opener, and it appears Runelvys Hernandez and Zack Greinke will occupy the second and third slots. Lefty Brian Anderson will have a job but is likely to be skipped the first time because of an open date in the schedule. Denny Bautista is a heavy favorite for the final spot, particularly after Jimmy Gobble's poor outing Saturday against the Mariners. Mike Wood is an outside possibility.

• Bullpen: Jeremy Affeldt will be the closer, and setup jobs are virtual locks for Shawn Camp, Nate Field and Mike MacDougal. Lefty Andrew Sisco has shown enough to win a job even if he wasn't a Rule 5 acquisition. Wood will be the swingman if he isn't in the rotation. That leaves Kyle Snyder as the odd man out despite a terrific spring unless the club opts to send inconsistent lefty Jaime Cerda to the minors.

• Catcher: John Buck is set as the starter with veteran Alberto Castillo as the backup.

• Infield: First baseman Mike Sweeney and shortstop Angel Berroa will join Gotay and Teahen as starters with Graffanino in reserve. The camplong battle between Calvin Pickering and Ken Harvey for a first base/DH role remains unresolved.

• Outfield: Terrence Long and Eli Marrero are ticketed for platoon duty in left field with David DeJesus in center. Veteran Matt Stairs will play a variety of roles. That leaves one job in right field, where Emil Brown has positioned himself as a heavy favorite over Abraham Nuñez and Aaron Guiel.

tk13
03-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I also noticed today that good 'ol Darrell May started today for the Padres in a spring game, and only lasted 2/3 IP while allowing 8 runs on 9 hits. Apparently he was supposed to be a lock in their #5 starter position but that's now in doubt... I'll keep Terrence Long, thank you.

Cochise
03-27-2005, 02:28 AM
I hope that they are playin Teahen and Gotay right out of the gate. I'm anxious to see what those guys can do on the major league level over the course of a full season.

Spicy McHaggis
03-27-2005, 02:34 AM
I want to see Teahen out there too. However I believe I heard KK say that the Royals get longer out of his contract if they can hold him down for a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

tk13
03-27-2005, 03:20 AM
I want to see Teahen out there too. However I believe I heard KK say that the Royals get longer out of his contract if they can hold him down for a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That is correct. Once you get 6 full years of service time in, then you are eligible to become a FA. If we start Teahen up right off the bat this season, he could play his 6 years and be a FA after the 2010 season. If we waited a month to bring him up, he would not reach 6 full seasons by the end of 2010 and it'd wrap around and we'd keep him through 2011. I think that's why Baird is so hesitant to do this... holding him back one month gives you an extra full year. They pretty much did this with Greinke last year... held him in AAA for a month even though he looked ready to go. Pretty tough choice for a GM to make, especially one in a small market.

KevB
03-27-2005, 07:50 AM
That is correct. Once you get 6 full years of service time in, then you are eligible to become a FA. If we start Teahen up right off the bat this season, he could play his 6 years and be a FA after the 2010 season. If we waited a month to bring him up, he would not reach 6 full seasons by the end of 2010 and it'd wrap around and we'd keep him through 2011. I think that's why Baird is so hesitant to do this... holding him back one month gives you an extra full year. They pretty much did this with Greinke last year... held him in AAA for a month even though he looked ready to go. Pretty tough choice for a GM to make, especially one in a small market.

I don't think it's tough at all. Put Graffanino at 3rd for a month, then pull Teahen up. They're nuts if they bring him along for Opening Day. This team is not about winning this year. They're attempting to build with youth. Part of that is roster management, and keeping your young guys as long as possible.

beavis
03-27-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't think it's tough at all. Put Graffanino at 3rd for a month, then pull Teahen up. They're nuts if they bring him along for Opening Day. This team is not about winning this year. They're attempting to build with youth. Part of that is roster management, and keeping your young guys as long as possible.
Graffanino doesn't play third, which means our starter would be McEwing.

I really wish we had kept Randa now. I heard someone float the idea of keeping him and moving him to first once Teahan was ready, which would allow us to ship Ken Harvey's worthless ass out of town. But I guess it doesn't matter now. :rolleyes:

Coach
03-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Lefty Andrew Sisco has shown enough to win a job even if he wasn't a Rule 5 acquisition.

Interesting. Any ideas where the Royals will be using him? It seems to me that they have been using him in the 7th-8th inning set-up man. What do you think the guy will do this year in terms of production, tk13?

Demonpenz
03-27-2005, 11:08 AM
whats the point of keeping teahan n the minors. Let us see what he can do now.Lord knows until the owner spends money it doesn't matter if it is 2008 or 2011 we ain't winning shit

beavis
03-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Interesting. Any ideas where the Royals will be using him? It seems to me that they have been using him in the 7th-8th inning set-up man. What do you think the guy will do this year in terms of production, tk13?
They'll protect him as much as they can. He's only on the roster because he's a rule 5 guy. If it weren't for that, he'd start the season in Omaha.

beavis
03-27-2005, 11:12 AM
whats the point of keeping teahan n the minors. Let us see what he can do now.Lord knows until the owner spends money it doesn't matter if it is 2008 or 2011 we ain't winning shit
Yeah, might as well see him in pinstripes a year earlier. :rolleyes:

Coach
03-27-2005, 06:02 PM
They'll protect him as much as they can. He's only on the roster because he's a rule 5 guy. If it weren't for that, he'd start the season in Omaha.

It sounds like it that the Royals are trying to protect him as much as they can. Yeah, I figured that the only way he'll be on the roster is that he has to make it. If he doesn't, he goes back to Chicago.

I recall some posters talking about Sisco having a good work ethic, but with an explosive temper and some immaturity. I'd keep that in mind with all the Sisco sour grapes sandbagging going on as well.

KevB
03-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Graffanino doesn't play third, which means our starter would be McEwing.

I really wish we had kept Randa now. I heard someone float the idea of keeping him and moving him to first once Teahan was ready, which would allow us to ship Ken Harvey's worthless ass out of town. But I guess it doesn't matter now. :rolleyes:

Graffanino can absolutely play third. He's an been an infield uber-utility guy most of his career. Especially for the month we'd need to keep Teahen an extra year. I don't care who they put there, just not Teahen.

KevB
03-27-2005, 07:25 PM
The Twins just waived Eric Munson, who played third most of last year for the Tigers. He's not great, but he's got some pop. Sign him, put him at third for a month...then see where we are. If he's sucked, dump him and call up Teahen.

Sure-Oz
03-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Ithought Chris Truby was supposed to start the season, is he even still on teh team?

tk13
03-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Ithought Chris Truby was supposed to start the season, is he even still on teh team?
He's been hurt pretty much all of Spring Training...

beavis
03-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Graffanino can absolutely play third. He's an been an infield uber-utility guy most of his career. Especially for the month we'd need to keep Teahen an extra year. I don't care who they put there, just not Teahen.
Not according to Allard Baird. He might have played it before, but it's not a natural position for him.

ChiTown
03-28-2005, 09:33 AM
He's been hurt pretty much all of Spring Training...

I believe he broke a bone in his ankle, not sure though.

Deberg_1990
03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
realistically TK, how many games do you see the Royals winning this year? 60 if they are lucky?? 70 if a miracle happens??? Sigh....tough times being a Royals fan these days......

Coogs
03-28-2005, 01:02 PM
realistically TK, how many games do you see the Royals winning this year? 60 if they are lucky?? 70 if a miracle happens??? Sigh....tough times being a Royals fan these days......

I really like our team this year. And since we are still playing in the Central division, I don't think it hurts to be optimistic going into the season.

I expect better things from our pitching staff this year, both starting and relief pitching. I expect our overall defense to be better. And I am even optimistic our hitting will be OK. Reminds me more of our team froom two years ago than the team from last season.

ChiTown
03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I really like our team this year. And since we are still playing in the Central division, I don't think it hurts to be optimistic going into the season.

I expect better things from our pitching staff this year, both starting and relief pitching. I expect our overall defense to be better. And I am even optimistic our hitting will be OK. Reminds me more of our team froom two years ago than the team from last season.

Hmm, I don't think our hitting will be good at all. No power whatsoever from our corner outfielders. Limited power from our corner infielders (Sweeney only, when healthy), and too inconsistent defensively up the middle Gotay and Berroa).

Add to that, we'll have two rookies (Gotay and Teahan) playing in their first full years, and no proven RBI guys behind the oft-injured Sweeney. I think this team gets interesting in a couple of years - post Sweeney. Mike needs to hit the the trail, and we need to get something in return (and fast). I'm just not much of a MS fan anymore.

Methinks the pitching will outshine the hitting in 2005 (sans the Middle Relievers). 68 wins should be about right for this team. 74-78 wins if they catch lightning in a bottle.........................

beavis
03-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Hmm, I don't think our hitting will be good at all. No power whatsoever from our corner outfielders. Limited power from our corner infielders (Sweeney only, when healthy), and too inconsistent defensively up the middle Gotay and Berroa).

Add to that, we'll have two rookies (Gotay and Teahan) playing in their first full years, and no proven RBI guys behind the oft-injured Sweeney. I think this team gets interesting in a couple of years - post Sweeney. Mike needs to hit the the trail, and we need to get something in return (and fast). I'm just not much of a MS fan anymore.

Methinks the pitching will outshine the hitting in 2005 (sans the Middle Relievers). 68 wins should be about right for this team. 74-78 wins if they catch lightning in a bottle.........................
Can't really disagree with anything there. Berroa and Gotay don't scare me defensively near as much as Teahan does. Everything I've heard about leads me to believe he's not ever going to be a Joe Randa in the field.

Coogs
03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Chitown,

While it is hard to argue anything you stated, I just like this team much better than last years team. Yes, I really wanted Beltran to stay, and yes, I was/am a Randa fan. But something about this team has me excited about the upcomming season.

I liked what I saw out of the younger fellows down the stretch last season. Buck and DeJesus for starters. I thought those two improved week by week. And even though he is in Omaha, I liked Blanco. He was down right fun to watch playing defense.

And the chemistry has to be better than last season. I like your 74-78 prediction. Possibly even .500 is attainable IMO.