PDA

View Full Version : Artsy/Cult flick you liked most...

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:14 AM
The whole BB rarely agrees on every film that appears on gummy bear dotted screens....

So of those we can't agree on, what do we MOST agree is a darned good flick?...

Taco John
03-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Donnie Darko is for fags...

Taco John
03-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Actually, I've never seen it, but I can see where this is going... ;)

tk13
03-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Harold and Maude.... does that count? Hilarious movie.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:22 AM

I fear you're the one on the bottom....

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Harold and Maude.... does that count? Hilarious movie.

Actually, that was pretty good....****ing poll limitations...

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:24 AM
I can't really think of one. My favorite films are dramatic, sci-fi or fantasy epics, and those are always going to be mainstream releases. I'm sure people will come up with a few films I dug, though.

Cochise
03-27-2005, 01:24 AM
2001, but I voted for Vanilla Sky, just because I liked it and think it might not get any other votes.

tk13
03-27-2005, 01:25 AM
No Big Lebowski or Napoleon Dynamite? I figured those would both be on there too...

Okay okay, I'll shut up now. :)

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:27 AM
I'd say on that list, probably 2001, although I dug Solaris (original and new), Jacob's Ladder, Donnie Darko, all the Evil Dead films (been years though, I need to see them again) and Fight Club

luv
03-27-2005, 01:28 AM
No Big Lebowski or Napoleon Dynamite? I figured those would both be on there too...

Okay okay, I'll shut up now. :)

My vote would have gone for Napolean

Demonpenz
03-27-2005, 01:28 AM
summer wheatley how the heck are you going to do that

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Du homosexuell! You jumped the buzzer too soon mein Freund.

FloridaChief
03-27-2005, 01:30 AM
What, no Un Chien Andulou?

:mad:

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
My vote would have gone for Napolean

You have now earned neg rep until death...

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
What, no Un Chien Andulou?

:mad:

Do you get that with rice?

Spicy McHaggis
03-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Fight Club, the book has a better ending though.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:33 AM

My you get your stool pushed in by well endowed neanderthals with bad hygene...

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:35 AM
The only foreign films I watch are the ones starring Katsumi.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:35 AM
I'd say on that list, probably 2001, although I dug Solaris (original and new), Jacob's Ladder, Donnie Darko, all the Evil Dead films (been years though, I need to see them again) and Fight Club

Yet your sullen romatic azz voted for Vanilla Sky....

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Yet your sullen romatic azz voted for Vanilla Sky....I haven't voted. I've never even seen Vanilla Sky.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:36 AM
The only foreign films I watch are the ones starring Katsumi.

This is what I get for letting my AVE subscription slip...

Taco John
03-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I voted for The Wall.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I haven't voted. I've never even seen Vanilla Sky.

I'm thinking you'll like it. It's one of my favorites.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Any film with Penelope Cruz can't be all bad.

Taco John
03-27-2005, 01:39 AM
I thought Vanilla Sky was really good. I was suprised how universally hated it was. I loved it.

I absolutely HATED Unbreakable. I thought it was a complete waste of my time.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Any film with Penelope Cruz can't be all bad.

And in this film she is the penultimate unreachable beauty in this one...

Frazod
Natural Born Killers was a festering pile of shit. Wretched, awful film. One of the worst I've ever seen.

2001 was interesting but incoherent. Too bad the film didn't follow the much better book more closely.

Never seen Vanilla Sky, Solaris or Naked Lunch. I've never even heard of Naked Lunch.

The Wall kicks ass. Being drunk/stoned helps dramatically.

Never saw the Doors or either Evil Dead.

Jacob's Ladder rocks.

My thoughts on the odious Donnie f#cking Darko are well documented. :grr:

Fight Club is far and away the best on the list, but I don't really consider it to be a cult film. It was way too popular and had big name stars.

My personal favorite cult film is Reanimator.

keg in kc
I dug Unbreakable. I haven't cared for any of his other flicks, however.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:42 AM

Loved that one.

To me it wasn't so much that an average guy WAS a super hero but how an average guy can be one...

It was about accepting responsibility.

Frazod
03-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Great idea gone wrong. Far too little action for a movie based on a comic book premise. About as exciting as watching golf on TV.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Never seen Vanilla Sky, Solaris or Naked Lunch. I've never even heard of Naked Lunch.

Never saw the Doors or either Evil Dead.

I think you'd like 3 of the 5. Naked lunch relies on the same suspension of disbelief DD does, so it's probably not your cup of tea. But by now it's a $0.99 renter.

It wouldn't hurt.

I'd actually recomend Vanilla Sky and Solaris (even though I hope Clooney dies in pain from azz cancer.)

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Great idea gone wrong. Far too little action for a movie based on a comic book premise. About as exciting as watching golf on TV.Different strokes for different folks. As far as his films go, I think I'd rather watch 12 hours of uninterrupted golf than 12 minutes of The Sixth Sense.

Rain Man
03-27-2005, 01:49 AM
The Red Violin is the best artsy movie I've ever seen. Great flick.

Frazod
I think you'd like 3 of the 5. Naked lunch relies on the same suspension of disbelief DD does, so it's probably not your cup of tea. But by now it's a $0.99 renter.

It wouldn't hurt.

I'd actually recomend Vanilla Sky and Solaris (even though I hope Clooney dies in pain from azz cancer.)

I might give Solaris and Vanilla Sky a look at some point. As for The Doors, I understand it's basically a drug-ridden descent movie, and I don't watch those.

I have no strong feelings about Clooney one way or another. He's done one movie that I really liked (O Brother Where Art Thou) and one that I really hated (Batman and Robin).

keg in kc
This is what I get for letting my AVE subscription slip...I don't know what it is about asian chicks. They're my weakness. Thank god I don't know any, or I'd be doomed.

She's half French, though. I don't have a problem with that, I'm thinking you might, though. ROFL

Frazod
03-27-2005, 01:50 AM
Different strokes for different folks. As far as his films go, I think I'd rather watch 12 hours of uninterrupted golf than 12 minutes of The Sixth Sense.

Sixth Sense is the only movie M. Knight Whatever did that I liked. Unbelievable was barely okay, and Signs pretty much convinced me to not watch anymore of his movies.

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:52 AM
The Pack

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Sixth Sense is the only movie M. Knight Whatever did that I liked. Unbelievable was barely okay, and Signs pretty much convinced me to not watch anymore of his movies.Signs was an abortion.

Frazod
03-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Signs was an abortion.

Don't even get me started on that piece of shit. :#

BIG_DADDY
03-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Don't even get me started on that piece of shit. :#
You know you got the warm tinglies when you saw the alien admit it.

Rausch
03-27-2005, 01:58 AM
I have no strong feelings about Clooney one way or another. He's done one movie that I really liked (O Brother Where Art Thou) and one that I really hated (Batman and Robin).

I hope Clooney dies in a in an animal attack that leaves him disemboweled...

That said, Solaris is by far the best acting of his career. He impressed me....

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 01:59 AM
I haven't watched Solaris for a while. Might need to throw it in the DVD player. Although what I really need to do is quit wasting time and get to work.

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:00 AM
You know you got the warm tinglies when you saw the alien admit it.

Yeah. I love aliens who have the technology to travel through space, yet can can be locked in a pantry behind a wooden f#cking door. :shake:

Rausch
03-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Yeah. I love aliens who have the technology to travel through space, yet can can be locked in a pantry behind a wooden f#cking door. :shake:

That's because it's a story about religon, and, well, I think we've pretty much gone full circle on that one...

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:04 AM
That's because it's a story about religon, and, well, I think we've pretty much gone full circle on that one...

It's also a story about a farmer who doesn't ever seen to farm, sleeps in, and doesn't own a gun (yeah right X 3), and aliens who can be killed by water invading a planet (unarmed) that is covered mostly by water, attacking humans who are comprised mostly of water.

:stupid:

Taco John
03-27-2005, 02:13 AM
A story about a farmer that doesn't own a gun!

ROFL

I'm glad I never caught that one... It sounds like Mel Gibson's answer to Waterworld.

Frazod
03-27-2005, 02:17 AM
A story about a farmer that doesn't own a gun!

ROFL

I'm glad I never caught that one... It sounds like Mel Gibson's answer to Waterworld.

This was clearly a movie made by city people who had once seen photographs of farms. It's about as realistic as some redneck writing a Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Kramer have a still on the roof of their apartment building, chew tobacco and shoot pigeons with shotguns for kicks.

Taco John
03-27-2005, 04:01 AM
I'd watch that... ;)

Kosmo Kramer + Shotgun = Must See TV :D

Otter
03-27-2005, 04:55 AM
Fight Club.

One of the most brilliant pieces of work to come out of main stream Hollywood ever.

If I had a time machine I'd love to go back and see what David Lynch would have done with the same story.

Otter
03-27-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by Taco John
Donnie Darko is for fags

I'm almost ashamed to admit I've just agreed with Taco on some level.

To me, movies are like art. Some may look at a Salvador Dali painting and not be able to appreciate it because it's so off the wall or creepy or weird or abstract or whatever. It's a person with poor insight however that cannot appreciate for being unique and creative.

In this case however, I'm one of those people.

I watched this movie and neither enjoyed or appreciated it on any level. The only other movie I can say this about is Artificial Intelligence. I can honestly say the five hours I spent watching those two films I would have rather spent clipping my toenails or picking the crud out of cracks in the sidewalk.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 05:08 AM
If I had a time machine I'd love to go back and see what David Lynch would have done with the same story.He might well have taken a giant sandworm-sized dump on it.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 05:10 AM
The only other movie I can say this about is Artificial Intelligence. I can honestly say the five hours I spent watching those two films I would have rather spent clipping my toenails or picking the crud out of cracks in the sidewalk.AI was a letdown on the level of The Phantom Menace to me. So much promise, totally flat disappointment. Donnie Darko I enjoyed, but I've never felt the urge to watch it again.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 05:13 AM
It's not really in this category, but I can't remember the last time I was as excited about a film as I am for Sin City.

Otter
03-27-2005, 05:14 AM
He might well have taken a giant sandworm-sized dump on it.

Why do you say that?

I apologize but I'm on my way out the door to work the fly rod and won't be around till this afternoon but I will check in.

Thanks Keg.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Why do you say that?I was alluding to his (mis)treatment of Dune.

FloridaChief
03-27-2005, 05:19 AM
AI was a letdown on the level of The Phantom Menace to me. So much promise, totally flat disappointment. Donnie Darko I enjoyed, but I've never felt the urge to watch it again.

I too enjoyed Donnie Darko, but I believe it takes multiple viewings to truely appreciate it. I 've seen it twice and I think I'm gonna have to get the DVD to enhance the experience. I feel there's more to that one than meets the eye.

Phantom was so bad it caused physical pain just to watch it. As was AI.

Oh well, I tried to give Brad a clue earlier in this thread but he chose to mock me. Un Chein Andulou is the great-granddaddy of avant-garde cinema and the wellspring from which all other Art films flow...

|Zach|
03-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Out of this list? 2001 and Valnilla Sky no doubt...I loved both of those.

None of the other ones on the list did anything for me except for fight club with I thought was "ok"

Nzoner
03-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Easy one for me.....
http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week/images/2003/pink_090.jpg

Fat Elvis
03-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Uh, you forgot the "artsy" films.

CosmicPal
03-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Rocky Horror Picture Show was the worst piece of trash of a film I've ever seen. The music begs me to kill myself repeatedly with an ice pick. The acting begs me to want to gouge my eyes out with a standard screwdriver and the peeps who actually watch this sh*t a hundred times over need to get a life.

And YES I was there when everyone was throwing sh*t, repeating the actors lines, and doing whatever it was they were doing. Of course, I was stoned at the time and thought I was in some weird, never-ending nightmare with a bunch of disfigured personalities and unsocialized beings. Trust me- if a movie is bad when you're stoned- then it's really bad when you're not.

KCFalcon59
03-27-2005, 10:17 AM
The Red Violin is the best artsy movie I've ever seen. Great flick.

Absolutely. I agree. That was a great movie.

Gaz
03-27-2005, 10:32 AM
“Natural Born Killers’
Interesting experiment that did not quite work for me. There were some fascinating scenes, but on the whole, it was more miss than hit.

“2001”
Slow, stately and majestic. Also disconnected and dry. Like so many Kubrick films, it ran off the rails toward the end of the movie. A classic, but not one of my favorites.

“Vanilla Sky”
Have not seen it. Do not really want to see it and nothing I have read has sparked any interest.

“Solaris”
I am not a Soderbergh fan, but I liked this one. Much like, “2001,” it takes a slow, almost ponderous approach. However, “Solaris” makes the emotional connection that “2001” misses by a mile. Clooney does a great job.

“Naked Lunch”
Weird for weirdness sake. There was no way to make a connection with this one.

“The Wall”
I am not sure that this qualifies as “artsy” or “cult.” I do not believe it was intended to be anything more than an extended music video. It is what it is. If you do not try to graft cinematic significance to it, “The Wall” is a fine video.

“The Doors”
I have not seen it.

“Jacob’s Ladder”
Not bad. Does not withstand repeat viewings. Once the gimmick is exposed, the show is over. In all fairness, I must declare that I think Tim Robbins is way overrated as an actor, which makes me dislike him, which dragged my enjoyment down a bit.

“Donnie Darko”
Finally, some real controversy. I hated this film. It was awful. I do not understand all the praise it receives. Diff’rent strokes, I guess.

“Rocky Horror”
The ultimate cult film, IMO. The first time I saw this, it was the 2nd feature at a midnight movie. First was “Wizards,” then, at about 1:30 AM, the lips filled the screen. It was the oddest film I had ever seen. I kept thinking that I really should be offended by it, but liked it. I saw it again with the loonies shouting out lines, dancing in the aisles, holding newspapers over their heads and throwing cards in the air. A different experience altogether.

“Evil Dead 1 & 2 & Army of Darkness”
These are different films. “Evil Dead 2” is a remake of “Evil Dead 1” with slightly more money. “Evil Dead 2” is one of the great laugh-out-loud horror flicks of all time, IMO. A gruesome, guilty pleasure. “Army of Darkness” was more commercial. It had better effects and better actors [a direct result of a better budget], but not nearly as much fun.

“Fight Club”
A good film, but hardly worth the praise showered upon it, IMO. The acting is superb and the directing is very good. I enjoyed it a lot. Just not nearly as much as some folks, based on the kudos dished out on the BB.

Where is “Π” on this list?

xoxo~
Gaz
Throwing his thoughts into the ring.