PDA

View Full Version : The console gaming competition may be over?

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Company Shakes $91M From Sony, May Be End To Sales
Calif. Company Says Game Pad Violates License

POSTED: 10:20 am CST March 28, 2005

TOKYO -- Sony has been ordered to pay nearly $91 million in damages to Immersion Corp. in a patent lawsuit over controllers that shake in time to what's going on in a game.

Reuters also reported that the ruling says Sony must stop selling the PlayStation console, two types of controllers and 47 games, but that part of the ruling was stayed while the company appeals.

A Sony spokesman said the company plans to appeal the decision by an Oakland, Calif. federal court.

In the decision issued last week, Sony Computer Entertainment was ordered to pay damages to Immersion, which develops and licenses digital technology.

In the 2002 lawsuit, Immersion accused Sony of patent infringement with the Dual Shock controller for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

Sony's PlayStation platform is the market leader. The company just released its do-everything PlayStation Portable in the United States.

http://www.theiowachannel.com/technology/4322737/detail.html?ontheside=story

Katipan
03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
i actually said holy shit out loud

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 12:44 PM
This doesn't really mean they can't continue to sell the PSP or the PS3.

Unless of course, the PS3 incorporates said vibration technology...that would likely mean a re-design, which could be catastrophic financially.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I'd like to sue them for making controllers that fall apart in a matter of months. I've only had my latest one since October, and a couple of days ago, the ****er's right shoulder buttons just started sticking/clicking/shifting/becoming dislodged or hard to press down fully. Haven't even thrown it or anything, and this is after dealing with one that I had to use spare parts on from another controller (this one's cord just up and stopped working from time to time) for about a year because the shoulder buttons kept ****ing up.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 12:48 PM
I'd like to sue them for making controllers that fall apart in a matter of months. I've only had my latest one since October, and the ****er's right shoulder buttons just started sticking/clicking/shifting/becoming dislodged a couple of days ago. Haven't even thrown it or anything, and this is after dealing with one that I had to use spare parts on from another controller (this one's cord just up and stopped working from time to time) for about a year because the shoulder buttons kept ****ing up.

It'd help if you washed your hands more than once a month ... :p

I've honestly never had a problem with my controllers.

Also, I'd be stunned if Sony was forced to take the PS2 off the market. They've got more money than god ... but just less than M$.

MM
~~:)

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 12:54 PM
I'd like to sue them for making controllers that fall apart in a matter of months. I've only had my latest one since October, and a couple of days ago, the ****er's right shoulder buttons just started sticking/clicking/shifting/becoming dislodged or hard to press down fully. Haven't even thrown it or anything, and this is after dealing with one that I had to use spare parts on from another controller (this one's cord just up and stopped working from time to time) for about a year because the shoulder buttons kept ****ing up.

Honestly, I've been much happier with my gaming experience since trading in my PS2 for an XBox.

BigChiefFan
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
"The console gaming competition may be over..."

That's some funny shit.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Honestly, I've been much happier with my gaming experience since trading in my PS2 for an XBox.I didn't trade in my PS2, but after getting an XBox in December, I quickly reached the conclusion that I'd only be getting games for the PS2 if they were PS2 exclusives and I really wanted them. I've actually held off on GT4 because it's PS2-exclusive.

I used to think the DualShock 2 was the best controller design ever, but the Controller S is better and much more ergonomic.

Radar Chief
03-28-2005, 01:01 PM

:LOL: Sure.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 01:03 PM
:LOL: Sure.An amazing claim, I know, but I didn't even throw the previous one until the shoulder buttons started screwing up. Then I found that slamming that bitch against the floor actually helped straighten them out temporarily.

Cochise
03-28-2005, 01:03 PM
xbox pwnz ps anyway.

BigMeatballDave
03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Honestly, I've been much happier with my gaming experience since trading in my PS2 for an XBox.I don't play much, except with my son and I'd have to agree that the XBox is superior to the PS2. He has all 3. His PS2 is about to take a shit...

KILLER_CLOWN
03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
It's nice hearing about sony getting sued, they deserve it for being such a suehappy company..Karma man!

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
I didn't trade in my PS2, but after getting an XBox in December, I quickly reached the conclusion that I'd only be getting games for the PS2 if they were PS2 exclusives and I really wanted them. I've actually held off on GT4 because it's PS2-exclusive.

I used to think the DualShock 2 was the best controller design ever, but the Controller S is better and much more ergonomic.

Yeah, I posted the same thing in another thread. Now that I'm used to the S Controller, the PS2 controller is just too small. I don't like it at all.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
"The console gaming competition may be over..."

That's some funny shit.

Yeah, I meant to post it as a question. I've changed it.

Taco John
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
The console gaming competition is ALREADY over for me...

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B00005Y2B0.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Once I bought my Xbox, all the other systems just fell flat...

Spicy McHaggis
03-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I posted the same thing in another thread. Now that I'm used to the S Controller, the PS2 controller is just too small. I don't like it at all.

I was trying to play San Andreas last night on PS2 and found that out too. I much prefer the Xbox S. I don't know why they didn't just release it first at the launch like they did in Japan.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 01:24 PM
God, why don't we all just go to Redmond and fellate Bill Gates in person? ROFL

morphius
03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I'd be suprised if this sticks, and I don't know why they would be told they would have to stop selling the PS2 since it is the controller that actually does the vibrating, even if the code to do it is there.

Some of these patents are so screwed up.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 01:27 PM
God, why don't we all just go to Redmond and fellate Bill Gates in person?

ROFL

I always find it funny when people turn into fanboys (or girls, in Taco's case) of a certain system.

Hell, if people want to get technical, most PCs "own" any console.

MM
~~:shrug:

Pants
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
PS cunts are all right, the only thing I hate are the double triggers and the fact that they are flat. It seems like you have to use the bottom part of your thumb (closer to the palm) to control the sticks... Hard to explain.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I always find it funny when people turn into fanboys (or girls, in Taco's case) of a certain system. It's amazing how some people can willfully limit their entertainment options out of some twisted sense of "loyalty" to a company that's interested in nothing other than taking their money. Be it for a game series or a console or whatever, fanboyism is sad and extremely stupid.

Pro sports leagues generating a sort of "forced fanboyism" on gamers by giving exclusive licenses to gaming companies is also infuriating. I'm pissed at EA for taking the NFL license from Visual Concepts, but Take Two locking up the MLB license for VC has effectively killed a very promising MVP Baseball series before it's even gotten its legs.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
PS cunts are all right, the only thing I hate are the double triggers and the fact that they are flat. It seems like you have to use the bottom part of your thumb (closer to the palm) to control the sticks... Hard to explain.

Personally, I enjoy the double triggers on the PS2 controller, especially when playing football games. Much better than the white and black buttons on the Xbox. GBut that's just me.

I agree that the sticks are much better and easier to use on the Xbox controller. I've gotten so used to using them that I rarely use the D-pad on any controller.

MM

Mark M
03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
It's amazing how some people can willfully limit their entertainment options out of some twisted sense of "loyalty" to a company that's interested in nothing other than taking their money.

Exactly!

I gladly give my money to all four of the greedy bastards in this world:

Sony--PS2
Microsoft--Xbox
Nintendo--GameBoy Advanced
KC Chiefs--Season tickets

MM
~~:D

Pants
03-28-2005, 01:37 PM
It's amazing how some people can willfully limit their entertainment options out of some twisted sense of "loyalty" to a company that's interested in nothing other than taking their money.

Actually, overall I don't hate Sony as much MS, but it always surprises me when people prefer the PS2.

And MM, PCs are better but you have to spend a lot of money on upgrading if you want to keep up with the newer games, while on consoles the games seem to get better on the same hardware.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Actually, overall I don't hate Sony as much MS, but it always surprises me when people prefer the PS2.It would surprise me if I heard someone say, "I have both the PS2 and the XBox, and I like the PS2 better."

Pants
03-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Personally, I enjoy the double triggers on the PS2 controller, especially when playing football games. Much better than the white and black buttons on the Xbox. GBut that's just me.

I agree that the sticks are much better and easier to use on the Xbox controller. I've gotten so used to using them that I rarely use the D-pad on any controller.

MM

Yah, the white/black buttons are really poorly designed.

jarjar
03-28-2005, 01:47 PM
It would surprise me if I heard someone say, "I have both the PS2 and the XBox, and I like the PS2 better."

Well I have both... and yeah Xbox is just better and not just because of the controllers (that too though).

Iowanian
03-28-2005, 01:47 PM

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Mortal Kombat was a fundamental part of my childhood development.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 01:54 PM

I wish Sony would swap the positions of the d-pad and the left thumbstick. That's the thing I like most about the Xbox controller.

I don't at all mind the white and black buttons, I've gotten quite used to them.

KCTitus
03-28-2005, 02:32 PM
ROFL

I always find it funny when people turn into fanboys (or girls, in Taco's case) of a certain system.

Cant play Gran Turismo on the Xbox...that's the sole reason I have a console in the first place.

If anything, Im a fan of the series and there is no simulation that's better.

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Cant play Gran Turismo on the Xbox...that's the sole reason I have a console in the first place.

Heh, heheh, two words: Forza Motorsport.

KCTitus
03-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Heh, heheh, two words: Forza Motorsport.

4 words: never heard of it.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 02:37 PM

They say that "Forza" will be to the Xbox what GT is the PS2. Although not sure about damage (which GT lacks) and a better AI wouldn't be too hard to do.

With that said, I LOVE GT4!! Sure, it ain't ground breaking, but as a car freak I'm in heaven. I've played for like 15 hours and am only 5% done.

MM
~~:drool:

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
4 words: never heard of it.

Coming out in may for the Xbox. Supposed to be the GT killer. Not nearly as many cars (only 230 some), but much more realistic, awesome online mode, the most realistic damage model ever. Did I mention the graphics?

Mark M
03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Did I mention the graphics?

I can't imagine them looking that much better than GT4. Seriously ... they are un-freaking-believable. Not sure how they got a PS2 game to look so amazing.

MM
~~:eek:

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:44 PM
I can't imagine them looking that much better than GT4. Seriously ... they are un-freaking-believable. Not sure how they got a PS2 game to look so amazing.

MM

Yeah, GT4 has some amazing graphics.

KCTitus
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Coming out in may for the Xbox. Supposed to be the GT killer. Not nearly as many cars (only 230 some), but much more realistic, awesome online mode, the most realistic damage model ever. Did I mention the graphics?

Googled it...graphics look pretty much the same to GT4. The competition will be good. I was somewhat disappointed they didnt put damage in this version, but the physics engine is much more accurate, you cant pull out of a fishtail at 170+mph anymore which is more accurate than before and the braking is more accurate.

I wish the game luck...I've heard of another simulator called 'Enthusia' as well that claims to be a GT killer. That one is still far off from release.

KCTitus
03-28-2005, 02:47 PM
With that said, I LOVE GT4!! Sure, it ain't ground breaking, but as a car freak I'm in heaven. I've played for like 15 hours and am only 5% done.

30% done...Im actually fighting the last 2 super license tests so I can race the extreme contests.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
30% done...Im actually fighting the last 2 super license tests so I can race the extreme contests.

I need to finish up my 1A license, but have been putting it off.

Guess I know what I'll do tonight.

BTW, have you taken a "pic" of any of your cars yet? I've got one of my Ford SVT, just need to transfer it to a memory stick and load it on my computer.

MM

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Googled it...graphics look pretty much the same to GT4. The competition will be good. I was somewhat disappointed they didnt put damage in this version, but the physics engine is much more accurate, you cant pull out of a fishtail at 170+mph anymore which is more accurate than before and the braking is more accurate.

I wish the game luck...I've heard of another simulator called 'Enthusia' as well that claims to be a GT killer. That one is still far off from release.

I don't know, but the hardest racing game I've ever played (outside of Grand Prix legends) was TOCA Race Driver 2. It's pretty realistic as far physics go, have you ever given it a try? I'll give GT4 credit where it's due, the freaking depth is mind-boggling. Don't they have like 800 cars in the game along with Gajillions of parts?

Mark M
03-28-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't know, but the hardest racing I've ever played (outside Grand Prix legends) was TOCA Race Driver 2. It's pretty realistic as far physics go, have you ever given it a try? I'll give GT4 credit where it's due, the freaking depth is mind-boggling. Don't they have like 800 cars in the game along with Gajillions of parts?

Over 650 cars, 50 tracks (100 if you count them going the other way) and all can be modified to the umpteenth level.

You wanna drive a Model T? Got it. A '68 Shelby? Got it. Honda minivan? Got it.

It's mind blowing ...

MM

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Ah, automobile simulations.

While you're at it, why don't you pluck out my eyeballs with a spoon...

Mark M
03-28-2005, 02:57 PM

What are you, gay?

MM
~~:p

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:58 PM

lol, my controller suffers a lot when I play racing games, it's not as boring as you think, to me anyway.

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:59 PM
What are you, gay?

MM

No, he's a pedophile. :rolleyes:

KCTitus
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't know, but the hardest racing game I've ever played (outside of Grand Prix legends) was TOCA Race Driver 2. It's pretty realistic as far physics go, have you ever given it a try? I'll give GT4 credit where it's due, the freaking depth is mind-boggling. Don't they have like 800 cars in the game along with Gajillions of parts?

About 600, but yes..you can also add parts even from 'name' brand companies like Shelby and Mines--but all of the mods are available at the mfg. Also you caNT add a turbo on a car that doesnt have one available on the market, etc...which is good. Want it to be as accurate as possible.

When you buy the racing parts -- you can modify gear ratios on the transmission and modify the suspension rebound, camber angles and all that. Each car has '3' save settings so you can flip from a setting for tight twisting tracks to a setting for superspeedway/ovals.

On the test track, I was able to get a TVR speed 12 to do 255mph...after the supercharger and level 4 turbo, it's 1100hp. It's crazy fast, I have to tune it down to race it.

Never have tried other racing games aside from a few old arcade games.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
No, he's a pedophile. :rolleyes:

Alright ... let's stop this before it gets moved to the DC forum.

So ... anyone play the new Splinter Cell yet? Is it any good?

MM

Pants
03-28-2005, 03:02 PM

MM

I saw the commercial, they had a bunch of 9.8/10's and shit.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Never have tried other racing games aside from a few old arcade games.

You should try Burnout3 -- not realistic, but the most fun I've probably ever had playing a video game.

Rent it some time and you can be rewarded for wiping out an opponent into an oncoming bus while going 180 MPH.

MM

KCTitus
03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
You should try Burnout3 -- not realistic, but the most fun I've probably ever had playing a video game.

Rent it some time and you can be rewarded for wiping out an opponent into an oncoming bus while going 180 MPH.

MM

That reminded me, I have played and finished Driver.

Also, I did bump a car into the wall that separates the track from pit road, we were racing hard around the long corner and I ducked inside off the draft and pushed him outside as I accelerated and he t-boned the point of the wall...funniest damn thing to watch on the replay.

Valiant
03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I was trying to play San Andreas last night on PS2 and found that out too. I much prefer the Xbox S. I don't know why they didn't just release it first at the launch like they did in Japan.

Cause those crazy japs have smaller hands then americans... i honestly dont use the s controllers.. i use the originals, of course they fit my hands better...

ZootedGranny
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM

MM

It's better than Pandora Tomorrow thus far, I haven't played multiplayer on Live yet, but the co-op mode was pretty fun. This time around the game gives you more than one linear path to beat a level, especially the co-op levels.

Demonpenz
03-28-2005, 06:27 PM

They really throw the word simulation around too easily in console gaming. Grand Prix legends that is a true simulation. No matter how much Gt4 says to be a simulation, if it even it lets you play with a controller. It isn't much of a simulation

Redcoats58
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
What are you, gay?

MM
Do you really need to ask? :p

Baby Lee
03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Never had a game console. The only games on my computer came with the OS [Solitaire, Hearts, etc.]

Pants
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
They really throw the word simulation around too easily in console gaming. Grand Prix legends that is a true simulation. No matter how much Gt4 says to be a simulation, if it even it lets you play with a controller. It isn't much of a simulation

Demon, I'm pretty sure Forza will actually have a realistic setting (you can pick the difficulty) much like the impossible Gran Prix Legends. Also, if you have a console, I suggest you try TOCA Racer Driver 2.

Demonpenz
03-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Demon, I'm pretty sure Forza will actually have a realistic setting (you can pick the difficulty) much like the impossible Gran Prix Legends. Also, if you have a console, I suggest you try TOCA Racer Driver 2.

gran prix legends isn't impossible other than the fact at the nurbring a good lap is one underneth 20 minutes

Bob Dole
03-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Never had a game console. The only games on my computer came with the OS [Solitaire, Hearts, etc.]

You are definitely HARDCORE, BRO!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

nm

KILLER_CLOWN
03-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Once the ps2 emulator for pc is done there will be no need for the system..ditto for xbox. Now that's where these 2 suehappy conglomo's come in as it may never fully come to fruition due to this fact. My ps2 is for the kids and until the next installment of march madness comes out it will stay that way.

Pants
03-28-2005, 07:30 PM
gran prix legends isn't impossible other than the fact at the nurbring a good lap is one underneth 20 minutes

I'm sure if I had a wheel and spend a lot of time playing it, I'd be saying the same thing. The fact is, it's the hardest racing game ever.