PDA

View Full Version : San Diego looking to trade Phillip Rivers?

Saulbadguy
03-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Mar. 28 - Scouts Inc. is hearing that the 49ers are considering trading the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft to the Chargers in exchange for second-year QB Philip Rivers. The deal would give the Chargers three first-round picks (1, 12, 28) and the 49ers a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft. Rivers grades out considerably higher than Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith.

:banghead:

JimNasium
03-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't see how this is even possible given the cap ramifications.

BCD
03-28-2005, 12:00 PM
3 1st rounders? ****ers...

Coogs
03-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't see how this is even possible given the cap ramifications.

Could be a problem. But I also remember reading or hearing on TV right after the season where the Bolts had a huge amount of cap space this off-season.

JimNasium
03-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Could be a problem. But I also remember reading or hearing on TV right after the season where the Bolts had a huge amount of cap space this off-season.
Wouldn't his signing bonus money be accelerated into this (or next) year's cap number. Couple that with two other first rounders and it just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe I'm just used to how Kansas City does business though. :shake:

whoman69
03-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Seems like win-win for the Chargas. It might help them to sign Brees to a long term contract knowing he won't be relegated to backup.

sd4chiefs
03-28-2005, 12:08 PM
I miss Ryan Leaf. :(

Saggysack
03-28-2005, 12:09 PM
I don't see any way the Chargers will trade Rivers without locking down Brees to a long term deal.

Locking down Brees to a long term deal, taking a hit on Rivers contract, then having enough money for the #1, #12, #28 would be a hell of a feat. How much cap room do they have?

Spicy McHaggis
03-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't see any way the Chargers will trade Rivers without locking down Brees to a long term deal.

Locking down Brees to a long term deal, taking a hit on Rivers contract, then having enough money for the #1, #12, #28 would be a hell of a feat. How much cap room do they have?

No shit, I don't see how that could be possible. This isn't Madden.

Coogs
03-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't his signing bonus money be accelerated into this (or next) year's cap number. Couple that with two other first rounders and it just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe I'm just used to how Kansas City does business though. :shake:

This years cap. Which would be just under 12 million, as his signing bonus was 14+ million over a 6 year contract.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2005, 12:15 PM

agreed ... there is another thread about this someplace

i don't think there is anyway they trade either brees or river this year.

but if brees shows another good year, expect the charger to start working on a long term deal for him.

then they trade rivers next year for a 1st rounder ... easier on the cap as well.

two number 1's this year ... two next year

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't see this happening.

JimNasium
03-28-2005, 12:17 PM
agreed ... there is another thread about this someplace

i don't think there is anyway they trade either brees or river this year.

but if brees shows another good year, expect the charger to start working on a long term deal for him.

then they trade rivers next year for a 1st rounder ... easier on the cap as well.

two number 1's this year ... two next year
That would make more sense. That would lesson the cap hit and they could even wait to trade him until it would reflect on the 2007 cap numbers.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2005, 12:25 PM
That would make more sense. That would lesson the cap hit and they could even wait to trade him until it would reflect on the 2007 cap numbers.

not only that... but the cost of 3 first round picks in one year is pretty large as well.

spreading out the extra picks over 2 years would be better as well

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I'd agree that next year's more likely. They'll want to see if Brees' performance last year was a fluke before they send off a franchise pick like Rivers.

Woodrow Call
03-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Could you imagine the Chargers getting Braylon Edwards at 1, Merriman at 12, and Thomas Davis at 28. It could happen.

That would suck. :cuss:

el borracho
03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
I miss Ryan Leaf. :(
I miss Bobby Beathard. :deevee:

Woodrow Call
03-28-2005, 12:35 PM
I miss Bobby Beathard. :deevee:

The king of turning 1st rd picks into 2nd rd reaches like Ricks. I miss him too. :deevee:

Ari Chi3fs
03-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Looks like the Chiefs may become the Old Chargers... :cuss:

Skip Towne
03-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Marty is going to hammer us for years to come.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
I'd agree that next year's more likely. They'll want to see if Brees' performance last year was a fluke before they send off a franchise pick like Rivers.
yeppers... they just need to make sure that Rivers improves enough and gets enough exposure to keep his value up.

i expect them to talk up the competition for the starting position to keep both Brees and Rivers out there in the media. It also gives them a valid reason to split time in the preseason to allow for improvement and exposure on the field.

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Marty is going to hammer us for years to come.They won't win 8 games this year.

Brock
03-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Marty is going to hammer us for years to come.

Maybe. Only to flame in the first round.

Uncle_Ted
03-28-2005, 02:32 PM
OMG ... Get it done CARL!!! DAMMIT!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

j/k ... someone had to say it :)

tk13
03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Can't they restructure Brees into a long term contract and lesson the cap hit for this year? I'm sure they can... if I were the Chargers I'd sign Brees, trade Rivers and do this if I could. If I'm not mistaken they began the offseason with something like 20 million in cap space to work with, they haven't signed any FA's really, I think they could pull all of this off if the Niners bite. The amount of talent they could add through the draft would be sickening.

Skip Towne
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
They won't win 8 games this year.
We'll see about that. They already have 2 in the bag against us. Just like last year.

Brock
03-28-2005, 02:43 PM
We'll see about that. They already have 2 in the bag against us. Just like last year.

Well, thank goodness i won't have to waste my time watching.

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 02:48 PM
We'll see about that. They already have 2 in the bag against us. Just like last year.Teams that suddenly win after years of sucking tend to fall flat the next season. We did it. They'll do it.

Skip Towne
03-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Teams that suddenly win after years of sucking tend to fall flat the next season. We did it. They'll do it.
If you don't mind I'll wait and see what happens. Marty has been building this team slowly and now it's his turn. He's won everywhere he's been.

penchief
03-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd give our first for Rivers. I think he'd be a great QB for this offense.

Hercules Rockefell
03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
The Bolts just had to pay the 2nd portion of Rivers' signing bonus around 2 weeks ago. That is shit managment of a team if you pay a guy a bonus, and then turn around and trade him a short time later. Any deal involving Rivers should have been done weeks ago.

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
If you don't mind I'll wait and see what happens. Marty has been building this team slowly and now it's his turn. He's won everywhere he's been.Interesting that you'd say they have two games in the bag next year one minute and then say you'll wait and see what happens the next. That's consistency, man. Well done.

And Marty's won absolutely jack shit everywhere he's been. 5-12 in games that matter.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Can't they restructure Brees into a long term contract and lesson the cap hit for this year? I'm sure they can... if I were the Chargers I'd sign Brees, trade Rivers and do this if I could. If I'm not mistaken they began the offseason with something like 20 million in cap space to work with, they haven't signed any FA's really, I think they could pull all of this off if the Niners bite. The amount of talent they could add through the draft would be sickening.

oh come on ... if they were you team you'd be saying "you can never have too many quarterbacks, we need to keep both in case one guys gets hurt"

at least be honest

not to mention, if it was the chiefs you'd say that trades like that never work blah,blah,blah

tk13
03-28-2005, 05:00 PM
oh come on ... if they were you team you'd be saying "you can never have too many quarterbacks, we need to keep both in case one guys gets hurt"

at least be honest

not to mention, if it was the chiefs you'd say that trades like that never work blah,blah,blah
:spock:

I have no idea where your logic is coming from there. I'm one of the few people here who wouldn't be upset if we traded Larry Johnson so we could get a draft pick to get Derrick Johnson. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2005, 05:04 PM
:spock:

I have no idea where your logic is coming from there. I'm one of the few people here who wouldn't be upset if we traded Larry Johnson so we could get a draft pick to get Derrick Johnson. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

i guess i have you mixed up with someone else then

ChiefsCountry
03-28-2005, 08:35 PM
I could see San Diego trading Rivers to Cleveland before the 49ers.

Skip Towne
03-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Interesting that you'd say they have two games in the bag next year one minute and then say you'll wait and see what happens the next. That's consistency, man. Well done.

And Marty's won absolutely jack shit everywhere he's been. 5-12 in games that matter.
Marty is in the top 10 of all time winning coaches. Your math is very selective. Anybody rational knows you can't predict NFL games a year in advance. Your past predictions have been shit. I think I'll watch the games rather than listen to your self fullfilling prophesies.

milkman
03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Marty is 19 wins away from becoming the HC with the most career victories to never have played for a league championship.

Move over Chuck!

Skip Towne
03-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Interesting that you'd say they have two games in the bag next year one minute and then say you'll wait and see what happens the next. That's consistency, man. Well done.

Hey, keg, there is another question I've been wanting to ask you as I listen to your railing against your ex-wife. What really did it was your comment about her night time body odor. Aren't you a white guy? Wasn't she a black woman? I think the members of this board should be made aware of this fact if it is true. So how about it?

C-Mac
03-28-2005, 09:58 PM
If you don't mind I'll wait and see what happens. Marty has been building this team slowly and now it's his turn. He's won everywhere he's been.

...and he's been "coach of the year" more than once. Many of his assistants that are now head coaches credit him, like Cowan, Dungy, and Edwards. Of all the coaches in our conference, he is a true coach and the one coach I respect the most. Its easy to critisize him for his playoff record, but at least he has one. Secondly, view it how you want, but many times if a kick had been made or a simple catch made, he would be viewed in a totally different light. Like him or not...he can coach and he has the record to prove it, he can make a winner wherever he goes.

Logical
03-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey, keg, there is another question I've been wanting to ask you as I listen to your railing against your ex-wife. What really did it was your comment about her night time body odor. Aren't you a white guy? Wasn't she a black woman? I think the members of this board should be made aware of this fact if it is true. So how about it?

Like the BB members should be made aware that you are a closet racist Skip. If we did not know before, we do after that post. Shameful:rolleyes:

Phobia
03-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Aren't you a white guy? Wasn't she a black woman? I think the members of this board should be made aware of this fact if it is true. So how about it?

This is pertinent to any discussion how?

Phobia
03-28-2005, 11:44 PM
The Bolts just had to pay the 2nd portion of Rivers' signing bonus around 2 weeks ago. That is shit managment of a team if you pay a guy a bonus, and then turn around and trade him a short time later. Any deal involving Rivers should have been done weeks ago.

Rivers could voluntarily repay a signing bonus for credit to the cap if he were traded to a team where he could start (and he were immediately bonused the same amount by the new team). I could see that happening assuming it's within the rules - and I think it is).

htismaqe
03-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Especially in Washington...

Brock
03-29-2005, 09:01 AM

Won what?

C-Mac
03-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Won what?

.........uhh NFL football games.
(See post #40 perhaps)

Logical
03-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Rivers could voluntarily repay a signing bonus for credit to the cap if he were traded to a team where he could start (and he were immediately bonused the same amount by the new team). I could see that happening assuming it's within the rules - and I think it is).

That was discussed on San Diego sports talk radio this morning. It is allowed for cash recoupment but does not alter the cap implications. The Chargers will still take a 9+ mil cap hit if they trade Rivers.

Brock
03-29-2005, 12:44 PM
.........uhh NFL football games.
(See post #40 perhaps)

Sure, as long as they're not in January.