PDA

View Full Version : DWI trial starts today for Leonard Little

Deberg_1990
03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I hope they fry this jughead. I dont see how any fan of the Rams can still root for this turd?? Oh well maybe i can, we still root for Warfield dont we??

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11245128.htm

ST. LOUIS - The stakes are high as St. Louis Rams defensive end Leonard Little goes to trial Monday on a persistent offender charge for felony driving while intoxicated.

Little, 30, was arrested April 24 on Interstate 64 in the St. Louis suburb Ladue and charged with speeding and DWI. Police say he failed three field sobriety tests. No one was injured. He pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Little was charged as a persistent offender because he pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in a 1998 drunken-driving accident in downtown St. Louis that killed Susan Gutweiler of St. Louis County.

Little served three months in jail and completed 1,000 hours of community service and four years of probation for the earlier crime. He was also suspended without pay for the first half of the 1999 season.

If convicted of the DWI charge, Little could face up to four years in prison along with another suspension from the NFL.

Jury selection is expected to begin Monday morning, with a pool of 80 potential jurors called, larger than the standard 36, according to Circuit Judge Emmett O'Brien's office.

Don Schneider, a spokesman for St. Louis County prosecutor Robert McCulloch, said jury selection could take a couple of days, and the trial could take a week.

O'Brien has not issued a gag order, but previously said the prosecution and defense had agreed not to talk about the case until it goes to trial. The prosecutor handling the case, Mark Bishop, and defense attorney Scott Rosenblum did not return calls seeking comment.

Little had 46 tackles, 6.5 sacks and recovered four fumbles last season. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 2003.

Phobia
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Warfield hasn't killed anybody.

StcChief
03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and what the NFL does.

All these players should be watching this closely.

In my mind make an example of him.

Duck Dog
03-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I must have missed the part about Warfield killing someone.

Deberg_1990
03-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Warfield hasn't killed anybody.

Not yet....

Baby Lee
03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Little has his problems off the field with alcohol, but nobody can bust on him for his play on the field, his ethic in preparing, or his attitude towards the game.
And with intoxication in the mix, the ONLY difference between Little and Warfield, or myself, or Endelt, or anyone who has driven intoxicated, is luck, plain and simple.

Deberg_1990
03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Little has his problems off the field with alcohol, but nobody can bust on him for his play on the field, his ethic in preparing, or his attitude towards the game.
And with intoxication in the mix, the ONLY difference between Little and Warfield, or myself, or Endelt, or anyone who has driven intoxicated, is luck, plain and simple.

Ok, but this dumbass kills a women while intoxicated, then decides hes gonna drive drunk again??????????

Phobia
03-28-2005, 05:34 PM
I can understand getting drunk. I can understand driving drunk. I can't understand being worth millions of dollars, killing somebody while driving drunk and then having the balls to drive drunk again. WTF is wrong with Leonard Little?

jarjar
03-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I can understand getting drunk. I can understand driving drunk. I can't understand being worth millions of dollars, killing somebody while driving drunk and then having the balls to drive drunk again. WTF is wrong with Leonard Little?

exactly. The big thing to me is, if I had ever done something like that I would have a hard time living with myself.. no way in hell would you see me behind the wheel even after 1 beer.

Rain Man
03-28-2005, 05:42 PM

I dunno. If any of you actually murdered someone while driving drunk, I'd expect that you'd have the brains to alter your behavior in the future.

Last time was bad luck (for the murder victim, mostly). This time is just sheer stupidity.

Baby Lee
03-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I have not been privvy to the details of this case, including whether or not the 'field sobriety tests' are of the subjective 'walk the line' sort or the more objective breathalyzer, nor whether there are issues with the breathalyzer used and how it was used, but the fact that it's going to trial suggests extenuating circumstances.
It's possible that the prosecution has been unwavering in either demanding the max or not even entertaining a plea. It's also possible that Little has a valid defense. We'll all know soon.

2bikemike
03-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I dunno. If any of you actually murdered someone while driving drunk, I'd expect that you'd have the brains to alter your behavior in the future.

Last time was bad luck (for the murder victim, mostly). This time is just sheer stupidity.

I agree and they should give him the max. allowable sentence.

ChiefsFanatic
03-28-2005, 10:08 PM
I did not read the whole thread, but I absolutely believe that if you take someone's life while driving under the influence [and be convicted] and you get another DUI, you should go directly to jail until trial.

It made me sick everytime I had to hear announcers talk about how good he was, or give him praise after a good play. He didn't deserve to be playing football.

milkman
03-28-2005, 10:32 PM
I rarely ver talk about my personal life, but for this I will make an exception.

My father was killed by a drunk driver, 42 years ago, when I was 4.

My brother was killed by a drunk driver 8 years ago.

Little's sentence for his offense when he killed someone was a ****ing joke.
He should have gotten years, not 3 months, in jail.

And 4 years for this offense is also ridiculously small.

If it were up to me, I'd make him suffer through the pain of having his balls cut off by a rusty pocket knife, then I'd fry his ass, without the sponge.

Rain Man
03-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that, sidewinder.

ENDelt260
03-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that, sidewinder.
Seconded.

Losing one loved one to such a tragedy is extremely shitty. Two is unfathomable.

I'll not share the venom I used to towards Little. BL exposed my hypocrisy on the subject some time back. I wish the man would've been smarter... but, then, I wish I would've been, too. Thankfully I've never hurt or killed an innocent party. But, BL's right... it's only due to chance.

milkman
03-28-2005, 10:52 PM
I appreciate the kind words.

I'm not a teatoteler, or whatever the word is.
I've done more than my fair share of drinking.

But you have to be responsible and smart about it.

I don't get bent out of shape if a person does something stupid, once.

But Little is a ****ing moron that needs to pay for his complete lack of anything that would pass for brains.

KCWolfman
03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
The max he can get is four years.

What a travesty.

KCWolfman
03-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I have not been privvy to the details of this case, including whether or not the 'field sobriety tests' are of the subjective 'walk the line' sort or the more objective breathalyzer, nor whether there are issues with the breathalyzer used and how it was used, but the fact that it's going to trial suggests extenuating circumstances.
It's possible that the prosecution has been unwavering in either demanding the max or not even entertaining a plea. It's also possible that Little has a valid defense. We'll all know soon.
He failed three tests according to the AP article I read today.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Anyone convicted for more than one DUI/DWI should have the book thrown at them. Once is bad enough, but if you're dangerous enough to do it again, you don't have any business ever having a license again.