PDA

View Full Version : Warfield MAY be suspended...What the??

AirForceChief
03-30-2005, 07:51 AM
This is the first I've heard the MAY word used...I assumed a suspension was a given (at least two games, maybe four). So what gives?

Warfield may still face suspension

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield faces a possible suspension of as many as four games under the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Warfield pleaded no contest in January to driving under the influence of alcohol. The incident happened in Overland Park and was the third time in three years Warfield was charged with DUI in Johnson County.

But Warfield said Tuesday he was advised by his attorney Kevin Regan and agent Craig Domann that he may avoid the suspension.

“It's my understanding from what I hear there will not be a suspension,” Warfield said. “But (NFL commissioner) Paul Tagliabue is the man, and he has the power to overturn that decision if he wants to. Everyone is looking into the situation and trying to figure out what's going to happen. From what I understand, nothing might transpire until the summer.”

Warfield was sentenced in March to 10 days of jail, which he already served, followed by 80 days of house arrest, for the latest incident.

“If I get into anything (else), I will definitely be suspended,” he said. “Hopefully, when I'm done with this house-arrest deal, I've gotten all this stuff behind me and I can just move on with my football career and my life.”

Bwana
03-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Wow strange. I thought 4 games was a done deal.

Big Chief Homer
03-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Maybe this will scare DV and CP getting the surtain deal done.

jarjar
03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
IF he gets into anything else?
Bah... how disappointing, it's like he expects it.

AirForceChief
03-30-2005, 08:20 AM

I was thinking just the opposite. Most on the Planet have been bracing for four games with Bartee, McClendon, Battle on the field barring a drafted or FA acquisition.

Of course Warfields comment may just be another sign of denial...you can't fix a problem until you confront/recognize the problem. Hey, that may work for CP, too!

New Guy At Meeting: Hi, I'm Eric and I'm an alcoholic.

Group: Hi, Eric.

New Guy At Other Meeting: Hi, I'm Carl and I'm a GM for a team that's failed to win a playoff game since...well...say, how long has it been?

Group: Huh?

Cormac
03-30-2005, 08:51 AM
“If I get into anything (else), I will definitely be suspended,” he said. “Hopefully, when I'm done with this house-arrest deal, I've gotten all this stuff behind me and I can just move on with my football career and my life.”

Way to make it sound like you're the victim here, Eric.

Phobia
03-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Not necessarily. First he has to enter the NFL's substance and alcohol abuse program. Step 2 is a 1 game suspension, which he has never served. I think he slipped under the NFL's radar and didn't actually enter their substance abuse program until the 2nd or 3rd DUI.

C-Mac
03-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Interesting but I have heard it mentioned zillions of times on the Planet like it was written in stone, but I have never read it from anyone authorized or anything from an official website.

Chiefnj
03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
I hope he gets suspended for a few games.

Phobia
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Interesting but I have heard it mentioned zillions of times on the Planet like it was written in stone, but I have never read it from anyone authorized or anything from an official website.

Really? If the search function were enabled, I've made a half dozen posts to the contrary.

C-Mac
03-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Really? If the search function were enabled, I've made a half dozen posts to the contrary.

You mean that you have read from KC Star, Chiefs website, ESPN. ect. that he was definetly going to be suspened 4 games?
News to me, but I dont read every post either. :hmmm:

Chest Rockwell
03-30-2005, 10:03 AM

My big fear right now is CP will decide to put his rose-tinted glasses back on and decide there will be no suspension, hence no need for the deal.

(CP mode)
I mean, come on, Bartee is due for a break out season, right? And this draft is deep at corner...surely one of them can come in and play right away. No need to spend all that money on Surtain, Right?

Right?

Ahem...is this thing on? Testes, testes, 1...2...3?!?

(/CP mode)

Gaz
03-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Warfield SHOULD be suspended.

Actually, he SHOULD be fired, but that is too much to ask.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not terribly happy to have Warfield on the roster.

R&GHomer
03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
The law biding citizen side says take his drivers license, lock his ass up for six months and suspend him for at least three games. The loyal chiefs fan says suspend him for a game. The thought of Bartee, McCleon and Battle starting the first few games is horrifying to say the least.

Come on Carl… Pull the damn trigger and trade for Surtain.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Not necessarily. First he has to enter the NFL's substance and alcohol abuse program. Step 2 is a 1 game suspension, which he has never served. I think he slipped under the NFL's radar and didn't actually enter their substance abuse program until the 2nd or 3rd DUI.
i didn't think they announced if/when a player enter the drug program.

where you getting your information?

petegz28
03-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Funny! I been sayng this whole time that nothing is official...contrary to some on here.

whoman69
03-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Even if he's not suspended, we still need a corner opposite him, and a nickle. We need to go forwards as though he is going to be suspended. Can we really have a season start out with Bartee or McLeon starting on one side and with Battle/Sapp fighting it out for the nickle spot?

vailpass
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

Respect to you for your consistency in insisting that standards be upheld even when it is one of your own.

bringbackmarty
03-30-2005, 04:48 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

You are right about this one. Plus he is really expensive. Do you feel the same way about Roaf too? I'm pretty sure he's got at least one. Plus since he played in new orleans, he probably just bought the cops off, so there's a bunch of times we don't know about. Drinking and driving sucks, people need to check their attitudes, drinking, and other distracting bullshit at the drivers side door. Cars suck, gas will be three dollars a gallon soon and there is no more snow on mount kilamanjaro.

He should be fired cause he sucks.

2bikemike
03-30-2005, 05:04 PM
The incident happened in Overland Park and was the third time in three years Warfield was charged with DUI in Johnson County.

With that kind of record he should have gotten fried by the courts and the league and IMHO he has gotten off pretty damn easy.

beer bacon
03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
The incident happened in Overland Park and was the third time in three years Warfield was charged with DUI in Johnson County.

With that kind of record he should have gotten fried by the courts and the league and IMHO he has gotten off pretty damn easy.

I think the idea is that the NFL is supposed to do certain things before he gets a four game suspension. I think the 2nd time he got a DUI he should have gotten suspended for one game. I don't know if they can skip straight to a four game suspension.

2bikemike
03-30-2005, 05:14 PM
I think the idea is that the NFL is supposed to do certain things before he gets a four game suspension. I think the 2nd time he got a DUI he should have gotten suspended for one game. I don't know if they can skip straight to a four game suspension.

I understand that the league has procedures and guidelines. I just think he got off a hell of a lot lighter than any of us would have had we got 3 DUI in 3 years.

philfree
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I understand that the league has procedures and guidelines. I just think he got off a hell of a lot lighter than any of us would have had we got 3 DUI in 3 years.

Isn't he doing Jail time? Hell I know a guy who has 7 DWIs and he just finally did 10 days in the slammer. He's ahad a license up till the last DWI. I'm not sure what the deal there is but that's messed up. I rode with him once after he'd been drinking and it didn't take me long to figure out why he's been citated over and over. Fugger can't drive. I also know a guy who got a DWI over ten years ago and then he got one and they pulled his license for two years. It baffles me....

PhilFree :arrow: