PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux

penguinz
03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
If you are wanting to give linux a try or even if you are already a linux user take a look at Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.com). This is a fairly new distro that is a port of Debian. It is very easy to setup even for the n00b.

If you give it a try and have any questions feel free to ask in my forums HERE (http://www.bit-quest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22).

Simplex3
03-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Run away! Run away!

Linux noobs should go with a LiveCD based distro, preferably with KDE (it's more Windows-like). Try Knoppix or Mepis. Suse even has a LiveCD of 9.2 but it requires a DVD burner.

As for Ubuntu, I checked it out once but their window-manager bigotry is kind of contrary to the whole open-source philosophy. As Linux distros go it was nothing special. Just another distro. Reminds me of an old saying:

"With the release of my nephew's distro, 'TommyLinux', the number of distros officially outnumber the number of Linux users."

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
TommyLinux blows.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeppers.

There are enough distros out there that any beginner should start with a LiveCD so that can actually get a feel for it without destroying there current system.

I used to really like KDE, but I'm really enjoying Xfce on a few test machines and think I will move to that here shortly. MIght wait for Slack 11.0 before I make the switch and just do everything at once though.

penguinz
04-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Run away! Run away!

Linux noobs should go with a LiveCD based distro, preferably with KDE (it's more Windows-like). Try Knoppix or Mepis. Suse even has a LiveCD of 9.2 but it requires a DVD burner.

As for Ubuntu, I checked it out once but their window-manager bigotry is kind of contrary to the whole open-source philosophy. As Linux distros go it was nothing special. Just another distro.

Ubuntu has a Live CD also. As far as window-managers... You can install KDE, fluxbox, etc... This distro picks up more hardware on a default install than most others.

Otter
07-29-2011, 11:38 AM
"With the release of my nephew's distro, 'TommyLinux', the number of distros officially outnumber the number of Linux users."

LMAO

Which distro do you use?