PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Prayers for my dad....

Mosbonian
03-30-2005, 05:42 PM
As most of you who are regulars are aware, over the last couple of years since I moved back to Missouri, I have been working on my relationship with my father. So far, everything has been going so well for us, and I have never felt closer to him than now.

Monday was supposed to be a pretty nice day, as my wife and I made a bid on a house that the sellers accepted without much hassle..unfortunately, about 15 minutes after agreeing to a mutually acceptable price on the house, my stepmother called to say that my father had suffered a heart attack which also led to a stroke.

I put the Tacoma in the wind headed west and arrived at the hospital about the time they got him to his room. What i found out was that he had a heart arrhythmia (sp?) which led to a back-up of blood in the heart causing blood clots to form in the heart. One of the clots broke loose and went to his brain causing the stroke.

Fortunately, they managed to catch the stroke in time and kept it from having long term affects.....they have him on a heparin drip to dissolve the blood clots and are giving him coumadin to thin his blood. They are going to keep him in the hospital for a couple of more days to monitor his progress. They are going to release him to continue to taking coumadin and are going to bring him back in a month. When they bring him back in, they are going to put him under and "shock" his heart to try and bring it back to a normal rhythm. If that fails, they will resort to putting in a pacemaker to hopefully resolve the issues.

I would like to ask everyone to remember him and my family in your thoughts and prayers....the doctors have done a great job of helping him to this point, but there is still a ways to go. There is still much more that I want to do with him.....

Thank you.....

mmaddog

stumppy
03-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Done deal dog.

CosmicPal
03-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Congrats on the house....

But, you, your dad and family are definately in my thoughts.

Bowser
03-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Good to hear you are repairing your relationship with your dad. Hope everything goes as good as it can for him, and yours.

Inspector
03-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Prayers for your family.

Hope all goes well.

4th and Long
03-30-2005, 06:18 PM
All my best to you and your family my friend.

BIG_DADDY
03-30-2005, 06:32 PM
You got it. My mom had 2 heart surgeries in the last year or so trying to get rid of the same thing and she still has it. That surgery is supposed to be pretty successful but it didn't work for her. It's a new proceedure so ask about it.

Frazod
03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I wish you and your dad the best.

Herzig
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Maddogg..prayers were just said and I will add you guys to the list.

My grandmother in is in NKC hospital right now with almost the same thing. Her heart was out of rhythm too, they shocked her, then went out of rhythm again due to 3 blockages. They put stents in to keep the arteries open. She then suffered 2 strokes in as many days. I will be headed up there again tomorrow to visit her. Please keep her in your prayers as well.

ROYC75
03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Prayers and good thoughts to you and the family, just keep the faith.

Roy
Carrie
& III

Frazod
03-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Maddogg..prayers were just said and I will add you guys to the list.

My grandmother in is in NKC hospital right now with almost the same thing. Her heart was out of rhythm too, they shocked her, then went out of rhythm again due to 3 blockages. They put stents in to keep the arteries open. She then suffered 2 strokes in as many days. I will be headed up there again tomorrow to visit her. Please keep her in your prayers as well.

I hope everything works out okay for you and your grandmother as well.

milkman
03-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Done.

Herzig
03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I hope everything works out okay for you and your grandmother as well.

Thanks, man.

Coach
03-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Done deal Maddog and Herzig. My prayers are with you and your families.

ChiefsFire
03-30-2005, 06:47 PM
will do brotha

stay positive

Calcountry
03-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your family. Hang in there.

Rain Man
03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear that they managed to catch it and fix it, mmaddog. Those things can be rough.

big nasty kcnut
03-30-2005, 06:57 PM
done may the doctors keep doing the best they can and get your dad back to enjoy your time with him.

Chief Henry
03-30-2005, 07:07 PM
A couple of prayers are being said for you and your family maddog...

Darkwolfe
03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Done

bogie
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Maddog and Herzig positive thoughts. My Dad got a pace maker several years ago and is going strong. I think I'll give him a call just to tell him I love him.

mikey23545
03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Maddog and Herzig-

Very positive vibes being sent your way. I wish for the best possible outcomes for you and your families, guys.

tommykat
03-30-2005, 09:39 PM
mmaddog
You and Dad are very lucky.........He will make it, I bet he is strong willed? ( Just like you )....You and Greg are in my prayers. Let us know what is going on.

morphius
03-30-2005, 09:51 PM
I will definitely well add him to our prayers.

KS Smitty
03-30-2005, 09:56 PM
You've got it. Hope things turn out well.

go bowe
03-30-2005, 10:41 PM
done...

J Diddy
03-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Best wishes to a speedy recovery...

Rausch
03-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Will do.

bringbackmarty
03-31-2005, 03:15 AM
you got it.

shakesthecat
03-31-2005, 06:51 AM
done

Gaz
03-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Will do.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sending best wishes.

dirk digler
03-31-2005, 07:45 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your father mmaddog.

bkkcoh
03-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Done here also.

Hope everything comes out ok.

seclark
03-31-2005, 07:56 AM
done.
sec

RedNFeisty
03-31-2005, 08:36 AM
You and your dad will certainly be added to our prayers. Praying that you have many more years to come with him.

Dartgod
03-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Done for your dad as well as Herzig's grandmother.

Mr. Kotter
03-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Best wishes for your dads health. We'll be including you in our family's prayers. God Bless.

Bwana
03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear that bud. Consider it done. Best of luck to him and your family.

Lzen
03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Done.

memyselfI
03-31-2005, 02:54 PM
You, your dad, and your family have them.

KCWolfman
03-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Done MMarkdog

Otter
03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Done.

Hang in there brother.

Mosbonian
03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
To all my many friends on here.....

Thank you very much for your kinds words and your prayers. It just confirms what I already knew about this place....it's more than just a Bulletin Board, it's home.

Greg, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family....and blessings to the hands that care for your loved one.

mmaddog

4th and Long
03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Keep us updated at your convenience bro. I think we'd all like to know when he gets to come home and make a full recovery. :thumb:

Mosbonian
04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Just a little update for all.....

Just got back from KC a couple of hours ago and my dad finally got to go home today after a week at the hospital. Although his blood work finally got good enough for him to go home, he is still at risk for another heart attack or stroke until they can finally get his arrhythmia under control.

He is scheduled to go back in a couple of weeks to have his heart "shocked" to see if they can resolve the arrhythmia. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Once again, thank you to all my friends who said prayers or sent positive thoughts his way this week. You will never know how much our family appreciates that.

mmaddog

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Just a little update for all.....

Just got back from KC a couple of hours ago and my dad finally got to go home today after a week at the hospital. Although his blood work finally got good enough for him to go home, he is still at risk for another heart attack or stroke until they can finally get his arrhythmia under control.

He is scheduled to go back in a couple of weeks to have his heart "shocked" to see if they can resolve the arrhythmia. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Once again, thank you to all my friends who said prayers or sent positive thoughts his way this week. You will never know how much our family appreciates that.

mmaddog
Nice, thanks for the update.

Any plans on a pacemaker to continue regulation?

Mosbonian
04-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Nice, thanks for the update.

Any plans on a pacemaker to continue regulation?

Russ.....

Looks like they are hoping that the "shock" to the heart will do the trick. If that doesn't work, then they will put in a pacemaker as the next step.

mmaddog

Mr. Kotter
04-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Russ.....

Looks like they are hoping that the "shock" to the heart will do the trick. If that doesn't work, then they will put in a pacemaker as the next step.

mmaddog

Best wishes, Mike.

ROYC75
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Great news Buddy, Hope all continues to go well !.

Herzig
04-03-2005, 11:27 PM
To all my many friends on here.....

Thank you very much for your kinds words and your prayers. It just confirms what I already knew about this place....it's more than just a Bulletin Board, it's home.

Greg, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family....and blessings to the hands that care for your loved one.

mmaddog

Ditto.

I got back from KC yesterday. Unfortunately, my grandmother is still in the hospital. She's been there now since March 17th. Her heartrate has been going up as high as 160. She's been in and out of "afib" almost every other day. The heart racing is causing the clots to break loose and sending them to the brain where they have caused both of the strokes. We've set up a schedule where at least one family member is with her at all times. Please continue to pray for her. Thanks..

Hope your Dad, family, and you make a full recovery soon.

Mosbonian
04-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Ditto.

I got back from KC yesterday. Unfortunately, my grandmother is still in the hospital. She's been there now since March 17th. Her heartrate has been going up as high as 160. She's been in and out of "afib" almost every other day. The heart racing is causing the clots to break loose and sending them to the brain where they have caused both of the strokes. We've set up a schedule where at least one family member is with her at all times. Please continue to pray for her. Thanks..

Hope your Dad, family, and you make a full recovery soon.

Greg, I will continue to keep your Grandmother in our thoughts and prayers.

Are they using heparin and cumaidin together?

mmaddog

Herzig
04-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Greg, I will continue to keep your Grandmother in our thoughts and prayers.

Are they using heparin and cumaidin together?

mmaddog

Just cumaidin as far as I know. But they may be using both. That's what's keeping her there...until they find the right combination of drugs to keep her heart from going into Atrial fibrillation.

Here's a website I found that goes into detail about it. My aunt is dating(off and on for several years) one the Cardiologists taking care of my grandmother at North Kansas City hospital..so that helps too.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4451

Mosbonian
04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Just cumaidin as far as I know. But they may be using both. That's what's keeping her there...until they find the right combination of drugs to keep her heart from going into Atrial fibrillation.

Here's a website I found that goes into detail about it. My aunt is dating(off and on for several years) one the Cardiologists taking care of my grandmother at North Kansas City hospital..so that helps too.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4451

Greg:

They used a heparin drip, with a cumaidin pill at the hospital for my dad. Now that he is released he is taking the cumaidin only.

Let's keep in touch and compare notes...

mmaddog

Herzig
04-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Greg:

They used a heparin drip, with a cumaidin pill at the hospital for my dad. Now that he is released he is taking the cumaidin only.

Let's keep in touch and compare notes...

mmaddog

Sounds like a plan.

Earthling
04-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Done.