PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's All-American game tonight, KU has 3 top players a play'n....at 7:00 PM

ROYC75
03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
All-Star status doesn't sway these future Jayhawks

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Seemed fitting that Julian Wright spent Tuesday afternoon plowing through a few boxes of Chicken McNuggets — one of the many freebies given to participants in tonight's McDonald's All-American game.

For the next few years, that's probably the only type of meal Wright will be able to afford.

Forget about the seven-figure NBA contract, the fast cars and fine food. Despite the buzz about him turning pro, Wright, a Kansas signee, vowed Tuesday that he'll be in Lawrence next season living the life of an everyday college student.

“All that stuff is just talk, man,” said Wright, a 6-foot-9 forward from the Chicago area. “Right now I'm looking forward to going to college and having fun. I've said that before, but a lot of people are still speculating. I'm not sure why.”

Maybe it's because basketball fans have seen how the fortunes of a player can change thanks to opportunities like the one Wright and fellow KU signees Mario Chalmers and Micah Downs have tonight.

The McDonald's All-American game — which will be telecast live at 7 tonight on ESPN from The Joyce Center at Notre Dame — is easily the pinnacle event among a slew of postseason high school all-star contests. According to team rosters, 114 current NBA players participated in the event as prepsters.

Last year alone, seven players who competed in the game were selected in the first round of the NBA draft after skipping college altogether.

One such athlete was St. Benedict's (N.J.) High School standout J.R. Smith, a North Carolina signee. Like Wright, Smith wasn't on anyone's draft radar entering the contest. But after earning game MVP honors and faring well in subsequent all-star events, Smith opted to enter the NBA draft, where he was selected 18th overall by the New Orleans Hornets.

Yes, now in its 28th year, the McDonald's All-American game can turn stars into superstars. Wright realizes that. Still, he said he doesn't see what happened to Smith happening to him.

Wright noted that an event such as tonight's is perfect for a high-flying dunker like Smith. With little to no defense being played, there are plenty of opportunities to impress the scouts sitting courtside — and to make the SportsCenter highlight reels.

Meanwhile, gritty, physical, grind-it-out players such as Wright often go unnoticed.

“It's a great situation for a guy like (Smith), an electrifying wing,” Wright said. “But the way I play in all-star games, I'm not going to shine like that. If I tried to be overaggressive and flashy, I'd probably make a fool of myself. That's not my focus. That's not my game style.

“I'm not going to change the way I play just because the lights are on and because I've got a double-arch on my jersey.”

Downs, a Seattle native, has also toyed with the idea of skipping college for the NBA. These days, though, it sounds as if entering the professional ranks is becoming less and less of an option for the 6-8 wing.

“I told (KU coach Bill Self) that it was my dream to go to the NBA and that if I could do it out of high school, I'd think about it,” Downs said. “But I never told him I wasn't going to Kansas or that I was bypassing that completely. (The NBA) was just an option.

“I'm really focused on going to Kansas right now. Whatever the good Lord's willing, that's what I'm going to do.”

With the NBA talk almost non-existent, the Jayhawks' signees have been able to soak up the pageantry surrounding this high-profile event. Chalmers, who is expected to be Kansas' starting point guard next season, won the three-point shootout Monday evening while Downs and Wright both competed in the dunk contest.

Wright said he's enjoyed getting to know his future teammates. All three players will compete for the West squad tonight.

“They're all great guys,” Wright said. “I can't wait to play with them. I just want to have a good time and make sure everyone is comfortable in front of the camera. If everyone is comfortable it makes things easier. We don't want to have any fighting or any arguing outside the lines. That won't happen. These are good guys.”

To reach Jason King, Kansas reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4386 or send e-mail to jking@kcstar.com.

The game

• WHAT: McDonald's All-American game.

• WHEN/WHERE: 7 tonight at The Joyce Center at Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind.

• TV: ESPN

Saulbadguy
03-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Chalmers is the baller. I don't know about Micah Downs or Julian Wright. Both seem to be finesse type post players. They need a big bruiser in there.

CosmicPal
03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I recall watching Giddens play a couple of years ago during the McD's game and thinking to myself, "WOW. This kid can play!"

So much for that...

Ebolapox
03-30-2005, 07:02 PM
I hope all three go pro

if for nothing but the simple fact that you whiny punkass KUnts will have more whine material

-EB-:)

tk13
03-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Boy they butchered that first segment in Indiana geography. Josh McRoberts is from Carmel... "Car-mul", not "Car-mell"... and Luke Zeller is not a "local" product. Washington, Indiana is about 5 hours from South Bend... :)

Saulbadguy
03-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Psh..its in Indiana. Whats the difference?

tk13
03-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Psh..its in Indiana. Whats the difference?
That it's not a barren wasteland, I mean, er, Kansas....

Saulbadguy
03-30-2005, 07:09 PM
So far this is just a 3 pt contest with some occasional defense.

PunkinDrublic
03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
KU fans will be better off once they realize that they are no longer an upper echelon program like the Dukes and North Carolinas. Nobody doubts they can pull in the great recruits but I think they've fallen off big time as far as being thought of as one of the top programs in the country. KU's still a competitive program but choking time and time again the way they have really puts a hurting on their restpectablility.

Cochise
03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Roy's gonna have 5 top players a play'n in St. Louis this Saturday ROFL

tk13
03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Julian Wright with the high flying sick dunk...

Pants
03-30-2005, 07:43 PM
KU fans will be better off once they realize that they are no longer an upper echelon program like the Dukes and North Carolinas. Nobody doubts they can pull in the great recruits but I think they've fallen off big time as far as being thought of as one of the top programs in the country. KU's still a competitive program but choking time and time again the way they have really puts a hurting on their restpectablility.

Choking time and time again? Please explain. Being #1 and then #2 for half of the year isn't considered top anymore, I guess.

PunkinDrublic
03-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Choking time and time again? Please explain. Being #1 and then #2 for half of the year isn't considered top anymore, I guess.

I'm talking about KU's inability to win a championship since 88. Your not an upper tier team like Duke and North Carolina sorry you're just not.

Pants
03-30-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm talking about KU's inability to win a championship since 88. Your not an upper tier team like Duke and North Carolina sorry you're just not.

Yeap, you're right, Kansas is nothing like the perennial champions Duke and UNC, who take turns to win the championships every other year. Especially UNC, who finished 8-20 2 years ago. Yeaaap.

royr17
03-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Did anybody see that 3-Pointer that Micah Downs shot 7 to 8 feet behind the 3-Point line and swished it, I think Kansas should start Chalmers, Downs, Galindo, Wright, and Giles next year .....

royr17
03-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Beware tigger fans, beware of Mario Chalmers tigger fans i say, this guy is a ball player ......

Pants
03-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Beware tigger fans, beware of Mario Chalmers tigger fans i say, this guy is a ball player ......

He might go to the NBA.

Saulbadguy
03-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Psshhh...its football season.

PunkinDrublic
03-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeap, you're right, Kansas is nothing like the perennial champions Duke and UNC, who take turns to win the championships every other year. Especially UNC, who finished 8-20 2 years ago. Yeaaap.

Yeah and what happened UNC is back in the final four this year and Duke went pretty deep into the tourney this year. They both have championships within the last decade. You know damn well you would put up with a losing season at KU if you knew the following year they could win a championship. All I'm saying is KU needs to win a championship before they can be mentioned among one of the top programs in the country.

royr17
He might go to the NBA.

I dont see him goin pro, but who knows, I sure hope he doesnt because the guy is gonna be a awesome point guard for kansas, can knock down the 3 pointer, can play defense, can run the floor, the guy is gonna be a very good ball player ......

Boozer
So far this is just a 3 pt contest with some occasional defense.

On the contrary, I've seen more defense in the past ten minutes than I've seen in the past three or four McDonald's games combined.

Not that that's saying much, but still.

Braincase
03-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I hope all three go pro

if for nothing but the simple fact that you whiny punkass KUnts will have more whine material

They just might... in 2 or 3 years. In the meantime, don't be playahatin', yo.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2005, 08:29 PM

chalmers reminds me of russell robinson until Self threw him into the dungeon never to be seen again.

Anyong Bluth
03-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah and what happened UNC is back in the final four this year and Duke went pretty deep into the tourney this year. They both have championships within the last decade. You know damn well you would put up with a losing season at KU if you knew the following year they could win a championship. All I'm saying is KU needs to win a championship before they can be mentioned among one of the top programs in the country.

Yeah, the birthplace of basketball and the 3rd winniest program ever need to "get back up there." They were just in back to back final fours and have reloaded with more players. If you really believe this, jackass - then you're definately following the wrong pro football team - when was the last Super Bowl we've been to? Last playoff game... Stooges

Smells like.... yep - A WHINY JEALOUS BITCH.

Pants
03-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the birthplace of basketball and the 3rd winniest program ever need to "get back up there." They were just in back to back final fours and have reloaded with more players. If you really believe this, jackass - then you're definately following the wrong pro football team - when was the last Super Bowl we've been to? Last playoff game... Stooges

Good post. Rep.

milkman
03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
I heard on ESPN radio today that teams from the Big 12/8 have won one national championship in the last 50 years.

That, of course, would be KU in '88.

That's one championship in 50 years!

Not only should KU not be considered among the elite teams anymore, but the Big 12 shouldn't be considered one of the power conferences.

tk13
03-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Man you KU fans like to rattle on about that "birthplace of basketball" stuff don't you?... :)

milkman
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM

3rd winningest program.

Big freakin' deal.

One championship in 50 years. That's the number that counts.

And before you call me a whiney jealous bitch, or some other clever name, I am a KU fan.

chop
03-30-2005, 11:08 PM

Actually, N.C. hasn't won a championship since 1993. So to say Kansas is somehow inferior because they haven't won the whole thing since 1988 is being petty.

Now no team compares to what Duke has done in recent years, not even the Tar Heels.

KChiefs1
03-30-2005, 11:08 PM
I recall watching Giddens play a couple of years ago during the McD's game and thinking to myself, "WOW. This kid can play!"

Giddens = The Original Hamburgler or should I say Wal-Martburgler!:loser:

KU has a nice basketball program thanks to Larry Brown & Roy Williams, but I do believe they have moved on...Bill Self doesn't scare anyone. His former team makes the Final Four without him & he can't take Roy's perennial Final Four team past the first round! It doesn't matter how much talent you have in Lawrence because you've still got the same head coach! :thumb:

Mizzou fans can sympathize with the KU fans because GQ is worse than Self! :cuss: :banghead: :deevee:

Anyong Bluth
03-30-2005, 11:18 PM
you guys are dillusional if you think KU is heading south - how is that Ill is in the final 4 and when he was there was a tough as hell team in the tourney also. What about Self at Tulsa and that team that came out of no where... and now he has 3 McD's AA that fit HIS style of play and you think its gonna be going down? They have had top 3 recruiting classes the past two years. Talk to any UNC and Duke fan that follows recruiting and they will at test to how much KU has stepped it up, Arizona for that matter, too.

One shitty year when a team falls apart at the end does not mean a trend. When you have srs that don't want to play the hi lo, Jr and Keith getting into it all the time and Giles getting injured = not enough progress = crap year. Getting bounced by Bucknell sucks and its a shame, but damn - Where the hell is any OTHER big 12 teams other than OSU and OU and texas to a lesser degree. Blaming KU for the big 12's bball problems is assinine... you've lost that argument every day of the week.

Feel free to respond.

Anyong Bluth
03-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Kansas has a nice basketball program thanks to James Naismith, Phog Allen and Larry and Roy and now Bill. I could easily say Kentucky and North Carolina have nice programs thanks to KU - since both coaches are from KS and have KU ties... and that is the beginnings of their tradition. Its mean said before KU has more roots and off-shoots in ties to programs and college hall of famers than any other program.

you can knock ku for not winning since 88 and choking to bucknell but minus Duke or AZ over the last 10 years and throw in UNC and UK - you're not gonna find a program with much more- historywise or in the future.

I enjoy the football stuff here, some best stick to that.

KChiefs1
03-30-2005, 11:23 PM
They have had top 3 recruiting classes the past two years.

Every KU fan I've talked will admit that Self basically screwed with the freshmen's heads this year & that Robinson & probably Kaun will never be players for Self. I'm not really worried about the supposedly amazing talents of the incoming freshmen next year at KU because I've seen what Self can do with freshmen & it ain't pretty for you KU fans. :banghead:

Anyong Bluth
03-30-2005, 11:30 PM
so one year of freshman and thats the whole story - Jr played lights out his freshman year... or is this a revolving thing where he will also be blamed for that also? you can talk to "ku fans" but unless they know anything that went on with team chemistry then you wouldn't know what by the end of the year Self and staff were just dying to get this year over with and start fresh.

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2005, 12:24 AM
I think Kansas should start Chalmers, Downs, Galindo, Wright, and Giles next year .....I sure hope so.

Der Flöprer
03-31-2005, 02:13 AM
I'm so glad that Washington got both Jon Brockman and Martell Webster, so we didn't get stuck with sh*tty ass Micah Downs from Juanita High. I've seen him play live 3 times this year, and I'm telling you, preseason he was a lottery projection, now the mfer wouldn't go in the 2nd round. Be careful what you wish for, I live about 5 minutes from his high school seen a few games, and don't find him impressive at all. Combined with the fact, that he'll be the guy drinking all night, he'll probably have a couple of dui's before he leaves. I'm from MO, so I've always been a closet KU fan, I'm just sayin. Don't count that egg till it's hatched.

David.
03-31-2005, 04:01 AM
who gives a **** about kansas

how'd Tyler Hansborough do?

Cochise
03-31-2005, 05:57 AM
haha. I never thought I would see the day when whether or not KU was a top echelon program was a matter of debate.

Hope you taped the game gheyhawks... Travon Bryant was a cheeseburger all-american too :D

vckcchiefs04
03-31-2005, 07:35 AM
The bitterness from all missouri fans is hilarious.......sounds an awful lot like bitter a$$ faider fans during football season.......you all enjoy another .500 season next year and losing in the first round of the freakin NIT......... as for Sidewinder, real KU fans will believe your a KU fan when missouri wins the national championship in anything..... as you and everyone else knows that will be NEVER!!!

ROYC75
03-31-2005, 08:01 AM
haha. I never thought I would see the day when whether or not KU was a top echelon program was a matter of debate.

Hope you taped the game gheyhawks... Travon Bryant was a cheeseburger all-american too :D

Ever stop to think that Travon Bryant could have been a better basketball player had he gone to KU, NC, or Duke., but instead went to MU to be a starter.

Bet he has wondered it in the past ! ROFL

ROYC75
03-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Man you KU fans like to rattle on about that "birthplace of basketball" stuff don't you?... :)

Sorry, guess the truth does hurt ?

Cochise
03-31-2005, 08:05 AM
Ever stop to think that Travon Bryant could have been a better basketball player had he gone to KU, NC, or Duke., but instead went to MU to be a starter.

Bet he has wondered it in the past ! ROFL

Even the #1 pick in the NFL draft can be a bust, don't start beaking yourself too hard.

Like someone said above.... Giddens. :evil:

ROYC75
03-31-2005, 08:05 AM
I think Kansas should start Chalmers, Downs, Galindo, Wright, and Giles next year .....

That would be sweet, maybe JR can find his ass on the bench.

ROYC75
03-31-2005, 08:07 AM
I hope all three go pro

I bet you do, you are already convinced that KU has more talent than your team does. ROFL

ROYC75
03-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Even the #1 pick in the NFL draft can be a bust, don't start beaking yourself too hard.

Like someone said above.... Giddens. :evil:

I'm convinced it was a sophmore slump, big headed turd maybe.

I think he will come back with a chip on his shoulder to prove .

DaWolf
03-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Every KU fan I've talked will admit that Self basically screwed with the freshmen's heads this year & that Robinson & probably Kaun will never be players for Self. I'm not really worried about the supposedly amazing talents of the incoming freshmen next year at KU because I've seen what Self can do with freshmen & it ain't pretty for you KU fans. :banghead:

Here's the thing:

A) KU fans have no idea WTF Self can do with freshmen. It's not like this is Self's first program and Self's first group of freshmen. The freshmen he brought in at Illinois seemed to turn out pretty good.

B) KU fans get these unrealistic expectations about what the freshmen should and shouldn't be doing, and if they don't do it, they are all of a sudden a bust. Never mind that many freshmen struggle their first year, get injured, or need to bulk up. I'm sure Padgett will be a good player at Louisville and I'm sure that Williams, Self and Pitino have a better view of him than Joe Kansas Fan. Sure there was hype and with a big time program comes big time expectations. But patience is needed, and there's no way to tell if these guys will suck forever or not at this point. Guys work out, practice, and improve.

I anticipate KU will struggle early next year with the young guys but in the long term I think the program is in fine hands...

HC_Chief
03-31-2005, 09:31 AM
I anticipate KU will struggle early next year with the young guys but in the long term I think the program is in fine hands...

I wonder if f*cking Roy will call this group of seniors during the season as well? :grr:

I'd love to see the NCAA hammer him for that crap. That's total bullshit right there.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 02:04 PM
I've heard Micah Downs and his family were extremly upset about his lack of PT last night. WTF?!

Read chiefman420's post..I don't think Downs is the right guy for KU.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2005, 02:15 PM

how'd Tyler Hansborough do?
if you don't give a **** about kansas then why did you open a thread with KU in the title?

stupid ass bitch ... f*ck you and everyone in north carolina, i hope ya all get malaria

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
if you don't give a **** about kansas then why didnt you open a thread KU players?

stupid ass bitch ... f*ck you and everyone in north carolina, i hope ya all get malaria
ROFL

Laz: "I don't give a shit about North Carolina!"

Tyler Hansborough is from Poplar Bluff, I think. Thats great, Roy. You wouldn't recruit players from North Carolina when you were at KU, but you have no problem recruiting in KUs back yard (Yes, Missouri is KU's back yard) when you are at UNC.

HemiEd
03-31-2005, 02:25 PM
if you don't give a **** about kansas then why did you open a thread KU players?

Awesome post! :clap: ROFL

Mr. Kotter
03-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I sure hope so.

Really?

Would the Tiggers gettin' their azzes kicked by a bunch of freshman and sophs might finally get Quin sent packin'??? :hmmm:

Ebolapox
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
They just might... in 2 or 3 years. In the meantime, don't be playahatin', yo.

eh, it's all I got right now :sulk:

-EB-

Ebolapox
03-31-2005, 02:49 PM
I bet you do, you are already convinced that KU has more talent than your team does. ROFL

was there ever any debate??

talent, yes... but we both did about the same with the talent, you know, first round loss in the ncaa tournament, first round loss in NIT... somehow, the NIT loss is no less painful than your loss to, wait, who beat you again?? I can't remember...

long story short, our loss sucked, but it was kinda expected... yours wasn't, you didn't live up to expectations, basically, in a f*cked up way, SCOREBOARD

-EB-

PunkinDrublic
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM

WTF do I have to be jealous of I don't care about KU either way. If you can't stand one persons objective opinion so much that you resort to child like name calling then who does that make the whiney bitch? It's you my friend.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
"I was proud of Micah for the time he was out there, but my heart is aching right now, and you can print that, because he didn't get to play but 10 minutes, and I don't know why," dad Steve Downs said. "My heart hurts for Micah, and to see my wife crying, you know, this is supposed to be a real joyous moment, which up to this point it was."

:shake: Sounds like another David Pageant.

tk13
03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Sorry, guess the truth does hurt ?
Hey, as I say, it may have been born in Kansas but it was perfected in Indiana... the game was in Indiana last night, there was actually a little defense played in the game because both coaches were from Indiana, the MVP of the game was from Indiana, the best player in next year's game will be from Indiana (Greg Oden)... meanwhile we've got a final four coming up this weekend full of Indiana connections on both the men's and women's side, so :p

milkman
03-31-2005, 07:27 PM
The bitterness from all missouri fans is hilarious.......sounds an awful lot like bitter a$$ faider fans during football season.......you all enjoy another .500 season next year and losing in the first round of the freakin NIT......... as for Sidewinder, real KU fans will believe your a KU fan when missouri wins the national championship in anything..... as you and everyone else knows that will be NEVER!!!

I really couldn't give a rat's ass if you believe that I'm a KU fan.

However, as a sports fan, I live in the real world, and in the real world, one freakin' championship in 50 years, and that one 15 years ago, doesn't equate to upper echelon team.

As a fan of the Chiefs, I've seen one SB win in 42 years, and that one 35 years ago.

I'm no less a fan, but it pisses me off that we have been mired in mediocraty for so damn long.

Seeing things the way they are doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 08:45 PM
http://phogblog.com/?p=303

FYI, here is a video of KU's recruits at the MDAA game.

paulgkc
03-31-2005, 08:52 PM
The future looks very bright for Kansas. Chalmers was stroking the three and also showed he can take it to the hoop and pull up for the mid-range jumper. Wright is going to be an All-American. 6'9" athletic freaks who can handle the rock like him don't come along too often. In his brief time on the court Downs showed he was capable of contributing with his height and outside shooting. Overall, I came away from the game extremely impressed with the three incoming frosh.

DJay23
03-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Basketball was invented at the Springfield, Mass YMCA, FYI.

KU is in a reloading phase right now. The outgoing seniors just never seemed into it this year (with the exception of Simien). If you watch the highlight reel from last year (Self's first), you'll see an energized team that played with heart and emotion. They threw more alley oops than I think I've ever seen a team make in a season. They started slow, but finished strong. While the winning was t here early this season, they just never looked strong enough. As Miles was quoted as saying, I think they just thought, "we'll turn it on when we have to," and I think you saw that in a lot of games. Come conference season and tourney time, teams know you better and it's harder to sneak out wins.

I'm disappointed as anyone with the loss to Bucknell, but to suggest that somehow Mizzou's first round loss in the NIT is a better result (SCOREBOARD? Are you kidding me?) you've got to be a pretty bitter and petty rival.

I will concede that KU is not at the level of Duke and Kentucky, and even Michigan State right now. Elite programs are judged by Final Fours, conference titles, All American players, and of course national titles. You know, the stuff you raise banners for. I would put the likes of Duke, UK, MSU, 'cuse, UConn ahead of KU, but we're not much further down.

Lets take a 10 year chunk ( since the '94-'95 season) KU has:

2 Final Fours ('02, '03)
5 Conference Titles ('96-'97, '97 -'98, '01-'02, '02-'03, '04-'05)
5 All Americans (LaFrentz, Pierce, Gooden, Collison, Simien)

Obviously the lack of national titles is glaring, and I would agree that KU is not in the top tier in recent history, however on the whole, historically there is no dispute.

2 National Titles ('52, '88)
12 Final Fours ('40, '52, '53, '57, '71, '73, '86, '88, '91, '93, '02, '03)
48 Conference Titles (13 in the MVC between 1908-1927, 12 in the Big 6 between 1931 and 1946, 5 in the Big 7 between 1950 and 1957, 13 in the Big 8 between 1960 and 1996, and 5 in the Big XII between 1997 and 2005)
20 First Team All Americans

Add 14 Jayhawks in the Basketball Hall of Fame and I think you can safely call Kansas elite despite not having won a title in 15 years.

As for next year, it will be a struggle early, but all of the young guys will get lots of PT. Of course picking starting lineups at this point is ridiculous, but no one ever said I was sane:

Hawkins (Senior who has worked hard, deserves it if he can beat out Chalmers)
Giddens (I'm betting he'll work hard and be injury free this summer)
Galindo
Moody (Steady and sure, the senior heart and soul)
Giles (Assuming the injury bug stays away)

By the end of the season:
Chalmers (will catch on to the system and blow Hawkins away)
Giddens (Could go pro after junior season)
Galindo
Wright (From what I saw last night, needs to add some muscle)
Giles (Assuming the injury bug stays away)

We'll probably peak at the right time next year at the end of the year, what with basically an entire team of freshman (considering all of the bench time this year's freshmen had) and make it to the Sweet 16. Assuming the only players we lose after that are Moody, Niang, Vinson, and Hawkins the following year could be the year these Mizzou fans stop harrassing us for only having won a title 15 years ago.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Hawkins at the point? Where is Kaun? I'd put him above Giles...well, maybe now.

DJay23
03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Hawkins at the point? Where is Kaun? I'd put him above Giles...well, maybe now.
Like I said, Hawkins first. I think Self likes J-Hawk because he's responded well in practice. It takes most freshmen a while to learn a system before you want to plug them right in. I don't know, this Chalmers could be a Miles-type leader.

Kaun is still very raw on both ends IMO. Giles is more athletic and brings more to the table defensively. I think you'll see a good mix of Moody, Giles, Kaun, Wright, and Jackson in the post. No one over 20 minutes per. Giles needs reps IMO. I don't see him being a huge offensive threat, but no one will dare come down that lane while he's around. I think you go with D over O, at least initially. Kaun and Giles need to develop on the offensive end though, or we could be sitting here with another Chenowith and Janisse.

ROYC75
03-31-2005, 09:53 PM
I think Self has his hands full picking the 5 to start if you ask me.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 09:59 PM
I think the biggest problem will be on the inside. Moody, Kaun, Giles..none of those guys are scorers, and Wright will need to put on some muscle. Wright and Downs both look like 3's to me. What about Darnell Jackson?

Dave Lane
03-31-2005, 10:04 PM

Everyone with an IQ above 80. Sorry you don't

Dave

DJay23
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
I think the biggest problem will be on the inside. Moody, Kaun, Giles..none of those guys are scorers, and Wright will need to put on some muscle. Wright and Downs both look like 3's to me. What about Darnell Jackson?
Jackson to me seems like that "thug" type that Self always seems to have around a la Lucas Johnson from Illinois. I hated that guy with a passion, but he got out there and just busted people in the ass. I think that's Jackson. A tough, strong guy to set picks, take fouls, and get boards.

Dave Lane
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
How many final fours has Missouri?

Dave

DJay23
03-31-2005, 10:09 PM
How many final fours has Missouri?

Dave
Is that rhetorical and you know the answer, or are you asking for real?

DJay23
03-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Because the answer rhymes with "hero."

WilliamTheIrish
03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Basketball was invented at the Springfield, Mass YMCA, FYI.

It only took 61 posts to get it right.

DJay23
03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I've always kind of felt we loaned James Naismith for a while.

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
This group is a little slow.

Der Flöprer
04-01-2005, 01:22 AM
"I was proud of Micah for the time he was out there, but my heart is aching right now, and you can print that, because he didn't get to play but 10 minutes, and I don't know why," dad Steve Downs said. "My heart hurts for Micah, and to see my wife crying, you know, this is supposed to be a real joyous moment, which up to this point it was."

:shake: Sounds like another David Pageant.

And he ain't even in school yet. He wasn't even really pursued here in Washington. There is a reason. Guys that create distractions for a high school team are probably gonna be trouble for their college teams too. I really wish this guy had signed with anyone other than KU. I like the Jayhawks, shame he didn't end up at Duke, IMO. :shake:

Ari Chi3fs
04-01-2005, 03:07 AM
I dont like the feel I get for Micah Downs, and his mom' cryfest, and his dad's whinefest. Im sure it has something to do with their "mealticket" Micah...

but they should have really STFU. And Micah should have just bided his time on the bench and not thrown his hands up in a prima donna fashion.

I really would almost like us pull the scholarship...

I sure wish McRoberts was coming to KU instead of Micah Downs. that dude is impressive. Im almost gonna like Duke next year. That other cat, Paulus, was a phenomanal Point in the McD game.

Duke will win a NC with them at Durham.

recycle
04-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Here's a case of a flagrant foul.