PDA

View Full Version : Cable company lays the wood to the jets

Mr. Laz
03-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Jets outbid in attempt to buy NYC rail yard

By Desmond Butler, The Associated Press
NEW YORK The New York Jets were outbid by Cablevision in their attempt to buy the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's rail yards and build a stadium on Manhattan's West Side.
The MTA released documents Monday detailing the bids by three groups. A bid by Cablevision of $760 million includes $400 million in cash up front and the rest in a promise to construct a platform over the rail yards.

The Jets countered with a bid of $720 million, including at least $250 million in cash paid over four years. The bid does not include the platform, estimated by the Jets at $350 million, which would be paid for primarily by the state and city.

TransGas Energy Systems offered the most for the site, $1.05 billion. But the energy company's bid has strings attached, including a proposed 40-year contract to provide energy for the MTA, and help in securing a site for a new power plant in Brooklyn.

Five bids were submitted to the MTA by last week's deadline, but two were immediately disqualified because they didn't meet bidding rules.

A decision by the MTA, which runs the nation's largest mass transit system, is expected Thursday.

Cablevision, which owns Madison Square Garden, promises a 5-acre park and waterfront esplanade, 5,800 units of new housing, a hotel, a performing arts enclave, a public elementary school and a library. The Garden is just three blocks from the West Side rail yards.

The Jets' proposal includes illustrations of its plan to build a $1.7 billion football stadium, which also is key to the city's bid for the 2012 Olympics.

The bid was accompanied by letters of endorsement from the city's Olympic bid committee, its tourism marketing group and the National Football League. As a sweetener to the Jets' bid, NFL owners recently awarded the 2010 Super Bowl to New York provided the stadium is built.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

|Zach|
03-30-2005, 07:46 PM
I threw in a few bids but lost out in the end.

Saulbadguy
03-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm starting my own 24x7 "Heidi" network. That'll learn em.

Count Zarth
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm starting a satellite channel named "DongVision." There has to be others out there like me.

Frazod
03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
It would certainly be in the best interests of the city have the football stadium. I would imagine the NYC political machine will kick it in gear to make sure that happens.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
It would certainly be in the best interests of the city have the football stadium. I would imagine the NYC political machine will kick it in gear to make sure that happens.
you right ... didn't take long

Jets | MTA Likely to Approve Sale of Land to Team - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:08:02 -0800

The New York Times reports the chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has thrown his support behind the New York Jets' $720 million bid for the rights to build a stadium on the West Side of Manhattan, which would be over the rail yards of the MTA. That basically assures the board's approval of a sale to the team at a meeting Thursday, March 31.

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
I love the smell of eminent domain in the morning.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 11:34 AM
I guess you could say they got... railroaded?

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 02:13 PM
The Jets won 14-0, by the way.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=ap4BMNkctFNw&refer=top_world_news

Phobia
03-31-2005, 02:16 PM
The Jets won 14-0, by the way.

Only because they fired Paul Hackett.

The Bad Guy
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm in NYC frequently and this would be a god damn cluster**** if they get this downtown stadium.

There will only be subway transportation to the games for fans.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm in NYC frequently and this would be a god damn cluster**** if they get this downtown stadium.

There will only be subway transportation to the games for fans.How do you think millions of people get to work every day in Manhattan?

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
How do you think millions of people get to work every day in Manhattan?
I don't see how they stand doing that every day. It's very depressing.

The Bad Guy
03-31-2005, 02:52 PM
How do you think millions of people get to work every day in Manhattan?

Are they all going to the same place?