PDA

View Full Version : New Car. Permanent Wax and Undercoating or not?

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
The dealership tried to sell me some kind of package for my new pony but I passed on it. Is this a good deal? Wax that will last 5 years? Does it really? Anyone had it done? Opinions?

Kyle401
03-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Even if it does, the dealerships always overcharge for these sorts of things. Personally I never buy any of the add ons when I get a car.

Kyle401
03-31-2005, 08:17 AM
BTW, congrats on the new Mustang. It's a sweet car. Did you get a GT (shown in your avatar)?

chiefmachine
03-31-2005, 08:20 AM
You can get the same stuff at a store. Cars are now already undercoated and the rust sh-t only covers rust fron inside out, which is covers by all manufactures. Is is overpriced as well. There cost for all of it is about $200-230.

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 08:25 AM
BTW, congrats on the new Mustang. It's a sweet car. Did you get a GT (shown in your avatar)?
Naw, I was going to have to pay $107.00 a month in additional insurance and my gas mileage would change from 25 down to 20. When you drive 25k+ a year thats not small potatoes. Besides 0-60 in 5 seconds is fast enough for me.

But I did get all the bells and whistles in the V6 premium model. Leather, Exterior sport package, suspension and engine upgrades. 500 watt 6 cd in dash/mp3 player with 6 JBL speakers etc.

Highly recommend one for yourself.

Bwana
03-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Not only no, but hell no! It's a scam. Go buy the producct yourself for $20. 5 year wax indeed. :shake: No wax on the face of the earth lasts 5 years, trust me on this. It's a Ben Doover Auto Sales trick to dip into your wallet.

Kyle401
03-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Naw, I was going to have to pay $107.00 a month in additional insurance and my gas mileage would change from 25 down to 20. When you drive 25k+ a year thats not small potatoes. Besides 0-60 in 5 seconds is fast enough for me.

But I did get all the bells and whistles. Leather, Exterior sport package, suspension and engine upgrades. 500 watt 6 cd in dash/mp3 player with 6 JBL speakers etc.

Highly recommend one for yourself.

Looks like you made a well-informed decision. 0-60 in 5 is amazing performance from a V6. I'm partial to GM's so if I get a coupe, I will probably go with a GTO. I would say I'm passively in the market now. The truck I have is old but low mileage, which translates to low trade value so I'm having a hard time parting with it. I've thought about a GTO or Mustang and keeping the truck, but I don't have space in the garage and I don't want to leave it parked outside my house all the time. Right now I will probably just hang tight with what I have until lack of passenger room forces me to upgrade. :(

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 11:51 AM
A car salesmen trying to tell me something is a great deal. Next thing you know they will be telling me Elton John is not gay.

Soupnazi
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
5 year wax. ROFL You ought to ask him if you can come in after 5 years and have it reapplied. I'd like to see the look on his face.

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 12:41 PM
I made them take off their advertising off the back of my new pony. I asked how much they were going to give me per month for having their logo on my car? They were kind of surprised and said wellll nothing. Then guess what take your chit off my car.

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 12:45 PM
I always wait till the salesman has the deal written up then say "That does include undercoating doesn't it?" Then their face turns pale and they throw it in.

Frazod
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Congrats on the car! :thumb:

:p

Bob Dole
03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
There's a "Ming Mirror Finish" that's guaranteed for 3 years. Bob Dole hasn't seen it in real life, though.

So with all the new car talk lately: What type of wax <b>does</b> everyone use?

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Looks like you made a well-informed decision. 0-60 in 5 is amazing performance from a V6. I'm partial to GM's so if I get a coupe, I will probably go with a GTO. I would say I'm passively in the market now. The truck I have is old but low mileage, which translates to low trade value so I'm having a hard time parting with it. I've thought about a GTO or Mustang and keeping the truck, but I don't have space in the garage and I don't want to leave it parked outside my house all the time. Right now I will probably just hang tight with what I have until lack of passenger room forces me to upgrade. :(
I have a buddy who has a '55 Chevy with a 400 small block and it turns in the 10's for a quarter mile. He said he got beat by a 4.3 litre Chevy V6.

Frazod
03-31-2005, 12:52 PM
There's a "Ming Mirror Finish" that's guaranteed for 3 years. Bob Dole hasn't seen it in real life, though.

So with all the new car talk lately: What type of wax does everyone use?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm just waiting for a nice weekend day to commence a serious waxing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Detoxing
03-31-2005, 12:53 PM
nah, dont do that. Honestly, i love waxing my car. I use Meguier's NXT. It is awsome stuff. Do you really wanna lose that feeling you get after looking back at your nice wax job? I wouldnt

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 12:56 PM

So with all the new car talk lately: What type of wax <b>does</b> everyone use?
Turtle Wax.

Miles
03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm just waiting for a nice weekend day to commence a serious waxing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I really like Meguiars products since they seem to last a quite while and provide a great finish.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/index_pro.cfm

Cleaner: Medallian Paint Cleaner
Polish: Show Car Glaze
Wax: Medallian Paint Protectant

If you looking for deeper shine and dont mind polishing more frequently check out 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Its also better at covering up minor blemishes.

Detoxing
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I really like Meguiars products since they seem to last a quite while and provide a great finish.

If you looking for deeper shine and dont mind polishing more frequently check out 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Its also better at covering up minor blemishes.

Meguiars NXT. Greatest stuff on earth next to Zaino. If you havent tried, you gotta give it a shot. I was using Meguiars cleaning wax, but NXT blows it away.

HemiEd
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
I made them take off their advertising off the back of my new pony. I asked how much they were going to give me per month for having their logo on my car? They were kind of surprised and said wellll nothing. Then guess what take your chit off my car.

I have done that on every car that I have purchased, that stuff is ugly.

BigRedChief
nah, dont do that. Honestly, i love waxing my car. I use Meguier's NXT. It is awsome stuff. Do you really wanna lose that feeling you get after looking back at your nice wax job? I wouldnt

I think I'd like to see others work to wax my car while I sit in the shade drinking lemonade.:p

Detoxing
oh, and Bigred, pls only use 100% microfiber towels on your car. Dont wanna put swirls in that new surface.

Soupnazi
03-31-2005, 01:12 PM
I just recently finished up my bottle of maguire's gold class, which was pretty good. I'm going to try their NXT wax next, cause I've heard a ton of good things about it.

Miles
03-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Here is a pretty good detailing FAQ.

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=Paint%20Care&faqQuestionID=54&section=_54

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Congrats on the car! :thumb:

:p

Man I had no idea. :shrug:. I have a new job and turned off all the sigs/avatars etc to be work safe. Ripping off a fellow Pony owner and Cardinal fan :banghead: At least I could rip off Skip and he could neg rep me. It's been a while. J/K Skip

HemiEd
03-31-2005, 01:19 PM

Excellent recommendation IMO. :thumb: I use five of the mequiars products on my old cars and the 3m on my "drivers" since they have to set outside in the winter.

Frazod
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Man I had no idea. :shrug:. I have a new job and turned off all the sigs/avatars etc to be work safe. Ripping off a fellow Pony owner and Cardinal fan :banghead: At least I could rip off Skip and he could neg rep me. It's been a while. J/K Skip

I guess I'll let you live - THIS TIME. :grr:

ROFL

Actually, I think I'm going to take some pictures of my ACTUAL car this weekend. I'll probably make a new avatar out of one of those.

CrazyHorse
03-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Oddly enough, I happen to be buying a Mustang.

I ordered a GT in December. I just found out last Friday that Ford has picked up the build order on it. It should be another 2 weeks and I will finally get my car. It's a long tough wait.

It's a white GT w/
Interior upgrade
Red leather, and the red accent pack.
Shaker 1000 stereo (which is 1000 watts into 10 speakers.)
Standard trans.
Traction control...yad, yada, yada.....

I'm not sure where I am going to put it though. My garage is already full. It currently houses a 64/half 393 coupe. And a '97 Cobra Mustang.

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 03:17 PM

I ordered a GT in December. I just found out last Friday that Ford has picked up the build order on it. It should be another 2 weeks and I will finally get my car. It's a long tough wait.

It's a white GT w/
Interior upgrade
Standard trans.

I'm not sure where I am going to put it though. My garage is already full. It currently houses a 64/half 393 coupe. And a '97 Cobra Mustang.
Yeah baby! :holdman: Pony's Rule!

But give me the old school looks with new bells and whistles. You can keep the completely old school muscle cars. Fun to look at but I need 500 watts of power rocking my leather seats!

Bearcat
03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
They sold me an undercoat for my last car..... not only once, but twice after that, I had to replace the exhaust pipe due to rust.

Frazod
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM

It's a white GT w/
Interior upgrade
Standard trans.

Congratulations!

You'll have to let us know what the V8 is like with the stick. Actually, I'd probably rather not know. :sulk:

You'll love the red interior. One thing - the car will come with red carpeted front floor mats (no back mats, but no one can really fit in the backseat anyway, so it doesn't really matter). I immediately bagged mine and put them in the basement - they won't see that car again until the day I get rid of it. I found some awesome red and black rubber mats at Walmart that match the interior perfectly and won't get destroyed by regular use. You might want to look into that. I'll post some pictures of them at some point.

And as far as that stereo goes, I hope you can live with 2/3rds of a trunk and the ire of every neighbor who lives within half a mile. :evil:

I also have a feeling that '97 Cobra will be experiencing the elements soon.

Inspector
03-31-2005, 08:27 PM
My wife wants me to buy a used mini-van.

But I might get one in that cool Mutang-red color. That would be almost be the same.

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 08:33 PM
My wife wants me to buy a used mini-van.

But I might get one in that cool Mutang-red color. That would be almost be the same.

I feel your pain. I had to endure a Mini Van and a Saturn for 8 long years before I was able to join the ranks of the truly free.:p

I got my Pony in that color. It ain't your Dad's red.:thumb:

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Congratulations!

You'll have to let us know what the V8 is like with the stick. Actually, I'd probably rather not know. :sulk:

You'll love the red interior. One thing - the car will come with red carpeted front floor mats (no back mats, but no one can really fit in the backseat anyway, so it doesn't really matter). I immediately bagged mine and put them in the basement - they won't see that car again until the day I get rid of it. I found some awesome red and black rubber mats at Walmart that match the interior perfectly and won't get destroyed by regular use. You might want to look into that. I'll post some pictures of them at some point.

And as far as that stereo goes, I hope you can live with 2/3rds of a trunk and the ire of every neighbor who lives within half a mile. :evil:

I also have a feeling that '97 Cobra will be experiencing the elements soon.
I like the floormat idea. When I was buying a new pickup every other year, I would put clear plastic seatcovers on before ever taking it anyplace. Then take them off just before trading it. It released the new car smell and the dealer really liked that.

Frazod
03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
I like the floormat idea. When I was buying a new pickup every other year, I would put clear plastic seatcovers on before ever taking it anyplace. Then take them off just before trading it. It released the new car smell and the dealer really liked that.

That's really smart.

As for the mats, in addition to dirtying cloth floormats (the very notion of cloth floormats is retarded, BTW), I tend to wear a hole in the mat where my right heel plants. It only took a little over a year on my last car, and I probably got gigged a bit for it on the trade-in (God knows they use any excuse). I'll go with the rubber mats from here on out.

Frazod
03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
I feel your pain. I had to endure a Mini Van and a Saturn for 8 long years before I was able to join the ranks of the truly free.:p

I got my Pony in that color. It ain't your Dad's red.:thumb:

So how's the wife dealing with it?