PDA

View Full Version : I HATE reality shows except (I thought ) only one....

Frankie
03-31-2005, 10:14 AM
American Idol. I like the show's entertaining transition from wannabe jokers to presenting very talented contestants.

Having said that, I'm beginning to get kinda hooked on...... NANNY 911. I watched a couple of episodes and it's much better than I thought.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 10:25 AM
So, was Star Search a reality show, too?

WTF is the definition of a reality show? Anything that doesn't have professional actors and a script?

bogie
03-31-2005, 10:25 AM
I too hate Reality TV except for the fact that I pay my bills by making them. I don't really concider Idol a reality show. It's more of a talent contest and I really do enjoy it.

RedNFeisty
03-31-2005, 10:31 AM
I like American Idol! I also like Extreme Home Makeover. I wouldn't really consider them reality shows. I don't watch the other crap.

Soupnazi
03-31-2005, 10:33 AM
The couple of times I've watched the nanny, I just sit there and find myself saying "that kid needs a beating."

DeepSouth
03-31-2005, 10:38 AM
My daughters have gotten me hooked on "The Amazing Race".

bogie
03-31-2005, 10:39 AM
So, was Star Search a reality show, too?

WTF is the definition of a reality show? Anything that doesn't have professional actors and a script?

I consider non-fiction and "unscripted" as reality. Even though most reality show producers/writers set up the situations that happen on the show.

SBK
03-31-2005, 10:40 AM
I like the amazing race, American Idol sucks baows. If it's reality based my wife watches it. TLC is the worst. Once football season is over I know the weekends are gonna suck if Im at home cause it's all TLC all day and night. Gag.

bogie
03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm curious, has anyone seen Invasion Iowa on Spike TV? It's the one with William Shatner.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 10:42 AM
I consider non-fiction and "unscripted" as reality.

So, Jeopardy is a reality show? How about the CBS Evening News?

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm curious, has anyone seen Invasion Iowa on Spike TV? It's the one with William Shatner.
Yeah, I've watched the first two eps. I like how the town punk is apparently the smartest one there.

bogie
03-31-2005, 10:49 AM
So, Jeopardy is a reality show? How about the CBS Evening News?

I don't consider them Reality TV but some may. It's a thin line.

BIG_DADDY
03-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Why would you watch that when you could watch the Ultimate fighter?

bogie
03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm more of a sit-com watcher myself. I'm going to be sorry when Everybody Loves Raymond ends. I also like Two 1/2 Men. I do like The Contender though.

beavis
03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
It's amazing to me how many people have the time to waste watching this garbage.

bogie
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
It's amazing to me how many people have the time to waste watching this garbage.

Me too. Thank God they do.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm more of a sit-com watcher myself. I'm going to be sorry when Everybody Loves Raymond ends. I also like Two 1/2 Men. I do like The Contender though.
Scrubs and [surprisingly it looks like] The Office will carry the torch.

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I've watched the first two eps. I like how the town punk is apparently the smartest one there.

I actually know a few of the people on that Turd.

There are 2 camps in the area...........1 who thinks its fabulous, and the other who think Iowans are being portrayed as gullible tards.

bogie
03-31-2005, 11:06 AM
House is good and West Wing. I'm an Alan Alda fan.
If you want to see a HEAVY reality show, watch Intervention on A&E. It's one of ours.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
who think Iowans are being portrayed as gullible tards.

I'd say that was definitely the objective when they set out. In the first ep there were some parts when Shatner was talking to the camera and it seemed like he felt kinda bad about it.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
House is goodHouse is great.

If you want to see a HEAVY reality show, watch Intervention on A&E. It's one of ours.

Whoa. Intervention? Like, getting alcoholics to go to rehab?

bogie
03-31-2005, 11:09 AM
I actually know a few of the people on that Turd.

There are 2 camps in the area...........1 who thinks its fabulous, and the other who think Iowans are being portrayed as gullible tards.

I think it's the "Hollywood" people that come off as the tards.

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Shatner is an A-hole.

At the time of the "auditions for the movie", I was encouraged to go over for it.........mostly just to eff with him.

Some of the people are very nice, normal, average representatives of rural Iowa...........The others, they knew exactly what they were doing with the casting.

I like how they think Iowans are gullible enough to believe that the Japanese Freeze their own Dook and sell it.

The funny thing is, Dumb Iowa Farmers, do dry thier cowdump and sell it to city-folk by the 40lb bag.

I think the Ironic twist is, that in their feable attempt to make Iowans look Ignorant, they're
the ones looking like dumbasses.

At the end, when they announced it, Shatner did give the town a hundred Grand or something, and a few K for the Library.

If you watch for it.........the "farmer" is going Really pissed off at the end. He bought it hook line and sinker, and is going to throw a serious fit...if they show it.

bogie
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
House is great.

Whoa. Intervention? Like, getting alcoholics to go to rehab?

yep. alcoholics, drug addicts, addicted gamblers, cutters, etc. It a real uplifting experience.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
At the time of the "auditions for the movie", I was encouraged to go over for it.........mostly just to eff with him.

I'm disappointed I didn't get to see you on the show.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
yep. alcoholics, drug addicts, addicted gamblers, cutters, etc. It a real uplifting experience.
That's some seriously f*cked up shit on a couple of levels. First, I don't wanna watch that. But, what kind of person volunteers to televise an intervention. The point is supposed to be helping someone you care about... but, hey, if you can snag your fifteen minutes along the way too, why not, huh? F*ckin' disgusting.

bogie
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
Shatner is an A-hole.

Some of the people are very nice, normal, average representatives of rural Iowa...........The others, they knew exactly what they were doing with the casting.

I like how they think Iowans are gullible enough to believe that the Japanese Freeze their own Dook and sell it.

The funny thing is, Dumb Iowa Farmers, do dry thier cowdump and sell it to city-folk by the 40lb bag.

I think the Ironic twist is, that in their feable attempt to make Iowans look Ignorant, they're
the ones looking like dumbasses.

They didn't attempt to make Iowans look ignorant. The whole intention is to make the Film Industry people look like idiots and the rural folks normal. I think they succeeded

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
I'd have seriously considered it, just for grins.........if it weren't supposed to be "sci-fi"................I wouldn't want the Gochiefs' of the nation, spankin their saber to Warfowanian.

I do imagine there would be some entertainment value of an on-air Accross the bar table Iowanian vs Shatner.

I have gone Murphy's bar a few times. Its good eatin'.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
I like Nanny 911. Its fun to watch those little brats run around the clueless parents.

Frankie
03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
I like Nanny 911. Its fun to watch those little brats run around the clueless parents.

Oops!... That's the one I meant. :homer:
Will edit thread starter immediately.

big nasty kcnut
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
I like the ultimate fighter big brother and the contender.

Douche Baggins
03-31-2005, 02:25 PM
I like American Idol, too. It's the only TV I watch other than NFL Network and Howard Stern.

whoman69
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Reality shows are killing TV. People can't even come up with original ideas anymore. We have a dozen versions of CSI and Law and Order. Its glut TV.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Reality shows are killing TV. People can't even come up with original ideas anymore. We have a dozen versions of CSI and Law and Order. Its glut TV.
Pft. Like TV was all that original pre-reality.

I couldn't even hazard a guess as to how many formulaic cop or doctor shows have existed in just my lifetime. They just stopped changing the names now is all.

bogie
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM

What do reality shows have to do with CSI and Law and Order?

BigRedChief
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I hate reality shows but I have watched a couple of eposides of Taxicab confessions on HBO. It was a mildly amusing diversion.

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
People call me a reality TV nut, but I don't really consider myself to be one. I really only get into the elaborate game shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, The Mole) and American Idol (which is basically a talent show, a la Star Search). If there isn't some competitive element to it, I can't get with it -- except for The Real World. I like that show, just because I've been watching it for my entire adult life.

It bugs the hell out of me that so many different shows are all considered in this reality TV genre. The Amazing Race is NOTHING like, say, Extreme Makeover. Why are they both lumped together as "reality TV?" The Mole was a clever deceitful game to play; it's nothing like The Bachelor -- and yet the genre for both is "reality TV."

It bugs me.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
1. The CSI and L&O franchises are solid. It's one thing to bemoan a crappy franchise. Another to bemoan a quality franchise.
2. Reality shows killing TV is a concern of mine, but an EXCELLENT episode of Lost last night [as well as a quality launch of The Shield Season 3] give me a measure of faith.

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
1. The CSI and L&O franchises are solid. It's one thing to bemoan a crappy franchise. Another to bemoan a quality franchise.
2. Reality shows killing TV is a concern of mine, but an EXCELLENT episode of Lost last night [as well as a quality launch of The Shield Season 3] give me a measure of faith.

I can understand the concern of reality killing TV, but I actually think in the past year and a half or so we've started to see less of the crap reality TV that was coming out before that. I think the tide is turning.

America has gotten a taste of good reality TV games and such with The Amazing Race and Survivor, and I think we'll always have them. But all the other pathetic crap "reality" shows won't last forever.

I'm not concerned.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 03:37 PM
People call me a reality TV nut, but I don't really consider myself to be one. I really only get into the elaborate game shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, The Mole) and American Idol (which is basically a talent show, a la Star Search). If there isn't some competitive element to it, I can't get with it -- except for The Real World. I like that show, just because I've been watching it for my entire adult life.

It bugs the hell out of me that so many different shows are all considered in this reality TV genre. The Amazing Race is NOTHING like, say, Extreme Makeover. Why are they both lumped together as "reality TV?" The Mole was a clever deceitful game to play; it's nothing like The Bachelor -- and yet the genre for both is "reality TV."

It bugs me.
Reality TV has, at it's base, a lack of script, and the generation of drama by putting 'normal people' in dramatic circumstances and filming their unscripted responses.
The Amazing Race and Extreme Makeover may be very different shows, but in each instance the 'hook' is the suspense of the 'reveal.' Who wins the race and how? How has the ugly duckling transformed into a swan?

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Reality TV has, at it's base, a lack of script, and the generation of drama by putting 'normal people' in dramatic circumstances and filming their unscripted responses.
The Amazing Race and Extreme Makeover may be very different shows, but in each instance the 'hook' is the suspense of the 'reveal.' Who wins the race and how? How has the ugly duckling transformed into a swan?
By this definition, IMO, American Idol doesn't satisfy the reality label. For it to be reality TV, there would have to be more focus on the personal interaction of the contestants outside of the talent competition.

The talent competition is the focus, or "hook", of that show.

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:43 PM

I guess so, but the fans of the two shows are often very different people (although there is certainly overlap, too).

I guess it's personal for me. I hate saying, "sure I like reality TV," because then people assume I watch crappy romance shows and Nanny 9/11. In my opinion, the reality shows I like, (again, Survivor, Amazing Race, American Idol, a few others) ARE quality shows.

Why is it that people say, "I love reality TV," or "I hate reality TV," and yet no one says, "I hate drama TV," or "I love comedy TV."?

Reality TV is just like any other genre -- there are good shows and bad shows. You really can't judge the entire genre as a unit, and yet in the case of reality TV, people do it all the time.

beer bacon
03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
I hate all reality shows. I hate their idiotic comercials. If I see one more Meet My New Mommy or Have My Nanny Wipe Your Ass commercial i am going to go ballistic.

bogie
03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised every time a network orders another reality tv show. Obviously people are watching them. A&E has picked up a 3rd cycle of Growing Up Gotti, that will make 39 episodes. Lost was excellent last night as was West Wing. Thankfully there's an audience for scripted TV as well.

ENDelt260
Why is it that people say, "I love reality TV," or "I hate reality TV," and yet no one says, "I hate drama TV," or "I love comedy TV."?

WTF are you talking about? They do to. Drop TV from those sentences, and you've got two statements that people have used for YEARS to describe their tastes in television and film.

Baby Lee
By this definition, IMO, American Idol doesn't satisfy the reality label. For it to be reality TV, there would have to be more focus on the personal interaction of the contestants outside of the talent competition.

The only part of AI that is 'reality TV' is that you don't know what's gonna happen until it happens. In the early rounds, it's 'is this freaky girl or guy gonna make me laugh with a ridiculous voice or tear up with the most beautiful voice I've ever heard?' In the later rounds, it's 'is Xxx or Yyy gonna 'bring it' or 'choke' tonight?'

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:46 PM

Not sure I agree. At least a good part of the drama generated on AI (which I really like, by the way) is based on how the "normal" people contestants handle the pressure and what their reaction is to being placed in an exotic circumstance. For example, how will little ol' country girl Carrie Underwood react when Simon tells her, "If I'm being honesty, that was ghastly," and how will defensive fat kid Scott Savol react to just missing the bottom three this week?

And of course, the big one: how hard will so and so cry when they finally get eliminated?

AI is definitely a talent competition with quality talent, a very good host, and a couple of good judges (Paula is worthless). But, it's still "normal" people in exotic situations that makes the show what it is.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
The only part of AI that is 'reality TV' is that you don't know what's gonna happen until it happens. In the early rounds, it's 'is this freaky girl or guy gonna make me laugh with a ridiculous voice or tear up with the most beautiful voice I've ever heard?' In the later rounds, it's 'is Xxx or Yyy gonna 'bring it' or 'choke' tonight?'
While the early rounds certainly have the "bad car wreck" quality, once the goofs are sent packing, it's just another talent show. You didn't know what was going to happen until it happened on Star Search either. That's part of competition.

I suppose on Sunday afternoons when I turn on the NFL I'm watching "reality TV", eh? I don't know the outcome of the game beforehand.

Simplex3
03-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Why would you watch that when you could watch the Ultimate fighter?

I have an idea that can make us all rich. We COMBINE "The Ultimate Fighter" with "Nanny 911"!

Leben v Susy would kick ass!

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:49 PM
WTF are you talking about? They do to. Drop TV from those sentences, and you've got two statements that people have used for YEARS to describe their tastes in television and film.

If they are doing that, they aren't doing a very good job of describing anything.

If I say I love comedy, are you going to assume I love BOTH Not Another Teen Movie AND Garden State?

Those are two very, very different movies who generally would have very, very different fan bases.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Not sure I agree. At least a good part of the drama generated on AI (which I really like, by the way) is based on how the "normal" people contestants handle the pressure and what their reaction is to being placed in an exotic circumstance. For example, how will little ol' country girl Carrie Underwood react when Simon tells her, "If I'm being honesty, that was ghastly," and how will defensive fat kid Scott Savol react to just missing the bottom three this week?

And of course, the big one: how hard will so and so cry when they finally get eliminated?

AI is definitely a talent competition with quality talent, a very good host, and a couple of good judges (Paula is worthless). But, it's still "normal" people in exotic situations that makes the show what it is.
Anytime a person is on TV it's an "exotic" situation. Jeopardy contestants aren't normally standing behind a podium answering trivia questions in front of a live audience.

But, it's a game show, not reality TV. There are perfectly good, more accurate, pre-existing genres for telelvision shows that are being trampled on because the buzzword "reality TV" sells more douche commercials.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
If they are doing that, they aren't doing a very good job of describing anything.

If I say I love comedy, are you going to assume I love BOTH Not Another Teen Movie AND Garden State?

Those are two very, very different movies who generally would have very, very different fan bases.
How descriptive the statement, "I enjoy comedies" is or isn't is not the point of contention. You claimed people don't make such statements, which is untrue.

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Anytime a person is on TV it's an "exotic" situation. Jeopardy contestants aren't normally standing behind a podium answering trivia questions in front of a live audience.

But, it's a game show, not reality TV. There are perfectly good, more accurate, pre-existing genres for telelvision shows that are being trampled on because the buzzword "reality TV" sells more douche commercials.

I totally agree. I consider Survivor and the Amazing Race to be game shows, too. They're just elaborate ones that stretch and entire season with the same contestants, rather than having different contestants on every episode.

bogie
03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Did anyone else think Paula A. was drunk or somehow waisted on the last episode?

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
How descriptive the statement, "I enjoy comedies" is or isn't is not the point of contention. You claimed people don't make such statements, which is untrue.

Fair enough. But if I say, "I love comedy," people will usually respond with, "what kind of comedy?"

If I say I love reality TV, people just think I'm a nutcase.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
I totally agree. I consider Survivor and the Amazing Race to be game shows, too. They're just elaborate ones that stretch and entire season with the same contestants, rather than having different contestants on every episode.
I think Survivor would best be labeled with some manner of mixed genre. Like Reality/Game show. I'm not a fan, but isn't a major aspect of the show the personal interactions between the team members as they live together on a deserted island?

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Did anyone else think Paula A. was drunk or somehow waisted on the last episode?

Here's what I think of Paula:

- She's old. She needs to stop trying to look 25, because she looks ridiculous.
- She's a worthless judge. She never says anything but "great job."
- She's annoying.

But no, I didn't notice her being drunk.

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
I think Survivor would best be labeled with some manner of mixed genre. Like Reality/Game show. I'm not a fan, but isn't a major aspect of the show the personal interactions between the team members as they live together on a deserted island?

Yes, it is. But so is trying to win a million dollars. What you are referring to (the interactions) are a result of the large prize. It's a "what will you do for a million dollars" sort of thing. So the game aspect and the big prize is essential for the creation of the drama.

But yeah, a mixed label is probably best.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Fair enough. But if I say, "I love comedy," people will usually respond with, "what kind of comedy?"

Possibly. Though, I'd think that's a product of age more than anything. Comedy, as a genre of entertainment, has been around for CENTURIES. Of course over time it's become specialized. Reality-based entertainment is barely a zygote in comparison.

If I say I love reality TV, people just think I'm a nutcase.

Well... :)

bogie
03-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Here's what I think of Paula:

- She's old. She needs to stop trying to look 25, because she looks ridiculous.
- She's a worthless judge. She never says anything but "great job."
- She's annoying.

But no, I didn't notice her being drunk.

I agree with your opinion of her. But I do think she was on something. My wife and I both thought so. Maybe she's affected by her hit and run incident.

Douche Baggins
03-31-2005, 04:02 PM

Not last night but she was definitely wasted last week, the week when they sang the No. 1's. She was kissing Simon and generally making an ass of herself.

The judge I can't stand is Randy. He's totally biased toward the black performers. I don't think he's said one bad thing about Nikko Smith, who has not been that great.

Scott Savol looks like a serial killer.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
I can't get with it -- except for The Real World. I like that show, just because I've been watching it for my entire adult life.
Is it ghey if I cried like a baby when Landon and Shavonda were saying goodbye at the end of the last RW-Philly?

Also, has anyone in KC trekked out to Blue Springs to check on Frankie and her 'Rawkin' BF?

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Speaking of American Idol, anyone else catch the "Seacrest, out!" bit on Robot Chicken?

It was a decently funny bit as it is... but, I swear in the credits I saw Ryan Seacrest listed as a guest voice. If he did his own voice for that bit, it increases the humor quite a bit for me.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Is it ghey if I cried like a baby when Landon and Shavonda were saying goodbye at the end of the last RW-Philly?
Yes.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes.
Saying that, did you catch the scene to which I referred?

Actually, now that I cogitate on it, my thoughts were "C'mon man, don't make this hot girl [Shavonda] cry, or I'll whoop your ass." So my reaction was pretty high in hetero-quotient.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Saying that, did you catch the scene to which I referred?

Actually, now that I cogitate on it, my thoughts were "C'mon man, don't make this hot girl [Shavonda] cry, or I'll whoop your ass." So my reaction was pretty high in hetero-quotient.
No.

IIRC, I may have caught bits and pieces of the second season. I watched the New Orleans season somewhat regularly, too. That's about all I've seen of RW. When the Las Vegas season was going on, every once in awhile I'd find myself at a buddy's house who liked to watch it... but, that usually ended with us at Casino Arizona... so I started making him change the channel if I was over and it came on.

Frankie
03-31-2005, 07:13 PM

She WAS tipsy and I mentioned it to others when we watched. She definitely slurred her words. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it.

Frankie
03-31-2005, 07:17 PM

I agree about AI. But your 1st sentence NFL as "Reality show," FWIW.

Frankie
03-31-2005, 07:19 PM
I suppose on Sunday afternoons when I turn on the NFL I'm watching "reality TV", eh? I don't know the outcome of the game beforehand.

Great minds?;)

bogie
03-31-2005, 07:21 PM
She WAS tipsy and I mentioned it to others when we watched. She definitely slurred her words. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it.

Thank you. She had those droopy eyes you get when you're waisted, where you can barely keep them open. Personally, I think she's losin' it.

Thig Lyfe
03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Reality sucks.

That being said, the 5 Shows I Watch right now are:

1. Lost
2. The Office (UK)
3. The Office (US)
4. Family Guy
5. Futurama

Frankie
03-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Thank you. She had those droopy eyes you get when you're waisted, where you can barely keep them open. Personally, I think she's losin' it.

:LOL:
That make 2 weeks in a row that she has acted peculiar. Last week she was bucking to jump on Simon's lap a few times. This week I could almost smell the alcohol on her breath through the TV set.