PDA

View Full Version : Juan Gonzalez.... to DL!

tk13
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Shocking. Unbelievable.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050331/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_indians_gonzalez_out_4

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. - Juan Gonzalez couldn't even make it to opening day with the Cleveland Indians.

The 35-year-old slugger was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday by the Indians, who will go north to begin the 2005 season and leave the oft-injured outfielder behind in Florida to rehab his strained right hamstring.

Gonzalez has missed 301 of a possible 486 games the past three seasons with a variety of injuries, primarily to his back.

"He's frustrated with his body," Indians manager Eric Wedge said. "But he understands this is the right thing to do."

To replace Gonzalez on the roster, the Indians recalled outfielder Grady Sizemore. The 22-year-old was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on Sunday when Wedge announced that Gonzalez, a two-time AL MVP with 434 career home runs, would be his starting right fielder.

That lasted less than 24 hours as Gonzalez missed three exhibition games with his latest injury before the Indians decided to put him on the disabled list his 11th trip to the DL in 14 major league seasons.

Gonzalez missed eight days earlier in training camp with a strained left hamstring.

"It's disappointing more because of sensing Juan's frustration and how much he cares," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said. "It's one of those things where it's the right thing to give himself the best chance to play. We'll keep him in warm weather, get him fully recovered and get him back when we can."

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm usually not one for prank calls. But, man, how sweet would it have been to have his phone number the minute this story came out?

If I was a fan of some team he burned three or four teams ago, I'd call him up every year the minute he hit the DL.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Keep effin doubtin Grady Si..er..nm.

Coogs
03-31-2005, 03:31 PM
"It's disappointing more because of sensing Juan's frustration and how much he cares," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said. "It's one of those things where it's the right thing to give himself the best chance to play. We'll keep him in warm weather, get him fully recovered and get him back when we can."

ROFL

Cochise
03-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Its going to be fun watching that slow-motion car wreck this season.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:33 PM
It's like Deja vu all over again?

Did I do that right?

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Speaking of the DL...

Couple weeks back I went with some folks to a Royals-Giants Spring Training game. At some point in the game, someone got some manner of minor injury (I was pretty drunk by then)... anyway, some trainers came out to look at the guy, and I yelled, "F*ck you Nick Swartz!"

It's one of my prouder moments.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Wow... Who would have seen that coming?

tk13
03-31-2005, 03:35 PM
It's probably best for the Indians, they've got so many young talented guys, Gonzalez is just standing in the way of them... I don't know what they were thinking with that signing anyway.

big nasty kcnut
03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
In other news endelt had another beer.

homey
03-31-2005, 03:37 PM
If only his initials were D.L. That would be perfect.

Coogs
03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
It's probably best for the Indians

No doubt. I was thinking if the Indians had Juan Gone, we might not finish in the basement this season. Bummer!

Count Alex's Losses
03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
I feel bad for Juando. He's always been one of my favorite players. I've traded for him every year a new baseball game comes out. :(

Ari Chi3fs
03-31-2005, 03:39 PM

ROFL

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
I hope some team that plays in the Cactus League picks him up next year. I'll make a point to go to ST games, get liquored up, and heckle the shit out of him.

I'll have to get in early, though. I'm sure he'll be hurt by mid-March.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
ROFL

nice work nutman.

beavis
03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Classic. I suspect he'll be playing for the St. Paul Saints next year.

Cochise
03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Speaking of the DL...

Couple weeks back I went with some folks to a Royals-Giants Spring Training game. At some point in the game, someone got some manner of minor injury (I was pretty drunk by then)... anyway, some trainers came out to look at the guy, and I yelled, "F*ck you Nick Swartz!"

It's one of my prouder moments.

What's wrong with Schwartz?

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
What's wrong with Schwartz?
I'm not sure, exactly. But, I've gotta blame someone for what seems to be a high number of Royals on the DL the past few years.

More importantly, some drunk guy in the outfield cussing out the Royals trainer got some laughs from the other fans.

Count Alex's Losses
03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
I actually have a picture of Juando and I together. It'd take an act of god for me to post it. :D

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:02 PM
I actually have a picture of Juando and I together. It'd take an act of god for me to post it. :D
That would almost rank up there with this pic:

http://nepachiefs.com/images/charlies/02.jpg

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Man, it is killing me to know that there's a gochiefs-Juan Gone pic out there and I don't have a copy of it.

Cochise
03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure, exactly. But, I've gotta blame someone for what seems to be a high number of Royals on the DL the past few years.

More importantly, some drunk guy in the outfield cussing out the Royals trainer got some laughs from the other fans.

I've gotten into some games on his tickets, so I have a favorable opinion of him.

tk13
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Post it!

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
I've gotten into some games on his tickets, so I have a favorable opinion of him.
He's never done shit for me, so I'll hurl drunken f*ck yous at him at will.

Actually, come to think of it, I'll do that to pretty much anyone.

ENDelt260
03-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Post it!
Thanks for the divine intervention, Big Man.

Count Alex's Losses
03-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Post it!

It's really quite funny. The Rangers had a "meet the team" pre-game session a couple years ago and I bought a ticket just so I could get a few pictures. Juando has this big stupid grin on his face and so do I. I look really stupid.

I took alot of pics that day. Most of 'em are gone but I saved the Juando pic.

siberian khatru
03-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Vindication for Eric Wedge. He wanted to keep Sizemore over Gonzo anyway, but Shapiro forced him to take Juan. The DAY Gonzo made the team, he got hurt. I laughed my ass off.