PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Documentaries

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry but the search function is disabled so I'm unable to determine if there is a recent thread with a similar topic.

Anyway...I've recently gotten back into documentaries and was curious if anyone had any good suggestions.

I'll start:

The Fog of War : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001L3LUE/qid=1112305965/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-9077852-3400017?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Waco - The Rules of Engagement : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DIJOO/qid=1112306077/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-9077852-3400017?v=glance&s=dvd

Capturing the Friedmans : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000SXK0Y/qid=1112306107/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9077852-3400017?v=glance&s=dvd

I've got Paradise Lost 1 and 2 ordered along with American Movie...both are supposed to be very good. I'm always looking for more. I also have a few Civil War documentaries on my Netflix queue.

I have no idea why I've become so fixated on documentaries...oh well. :)

Douche Baggins
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Empire of Dreams - the making of the Star Wars saga. :D

whoman69
03-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Ken Burns- The Civil War
Baseball

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Empire of Dreams - the making of the Star Wars saga. :D
Didn't see that coming. :) heh

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Ken Burns- The Civil War
Excellent...those 5 discs are on my Netflix queue.

Simplex3
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
My favorite ones are the ones that never get made.

FloridaChief
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Land Without Bread by Luis Bunuel

Nzoner
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
I've got Paradise Lost 1 and 2 ordered

Those are two of my favs.

I'd also suggest checking out the documentary on the DVD of City Of God.I don't know if it's available by itself but if you haven't seen the movie,it's well worth renting to be able to watch both.

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
The Fog of War

Excellent Documentary

I like some of HBO's Documentaries

Death in Gaza http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/death_in_gaza/

Laramie Project http://www.hbo.com/films/laramie/

Chernobyl Heart http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/chernobylheart/index.html

Last Letters Home http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/lastlettershome/

All of them really struck a chord with me

TRR
03-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Fahrenheit 9/11....Great documentary!

I'm just joking...but watch the people freak out who don't read this...

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Those are two of my favs.

I'd also suggest checking out the documentary on the DVD of City Of God.I don't know if it's available by itself but if you haven't seen the movie,it's well worth renting to be able to watch both.
Cool.

Getting a hold of the first Paradise Lost was a hassle...discontinued VHS. Going to convert it to DVD for myself since my VHS player blows and I have access to some equipment.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Capturing the Friedmans - I defy anyone to watch this and say definitively one way or the other what transpired.

Brother's Keeper - by the duo who produced the Paradise I and II docus. About a set of poverty stricken brothers who lived on a farm they inherited from their parents. One is accused of smothering and killing the eldest of the group in his sleep. Shocking because they present such a sympathetic portrait of the accused brother. Then, in their commentary, they opine that he indeed did kill his brother, but did not deserve to be punished for it. Not because his brother deserved to die, but because they just plain liked the guy.

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Excellent Documentary

I like some of HBO's Documentaries

Death in Gaza http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/death_in_gaza/

Laramie Project http://www.hbo.com/films/laramie/

Chernobyl Heart http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/chernobylheart/index.html

Last Letters Home http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/lastlettershome/

All of them really struck a chord with me
Great...I'll check those out.

Thanks!

ZepSinger
03-31-2005, 03:18 PM
'The Decline of Western Civilization, Part 2'

Documenting the last pathetic days of hair metal in LA.

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Great...I'll check those out.

Thanks!

Just FYI Laramie Project and Last Letters Home are the only ones available in DVD...at least that I found on amazon.com

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Capturing the Friedmans - I defy anyone to watch this and say definitively one way or the other what transpired.

Yes...very interesting movie. I jumped from one side to the other throughout and still am not completely certain. It's a well done documentary.

** still doesn't believe a couple of the "victims" **

Brother's Keeper - by the duo who produced the Paradise I and II docus. About a set of poverty stricken brothers who lived on a farm they inherited from their parents. One is accused of smothering and killing the eldest of the group in his sleep. Shocking because they present such a sympathetic portrait of the accused brother. Then, in their commentary, they opine that he indeed did kill his brother, but did not deserve to be punished for it. Not because his brother deserved to die, but because they just plain liked the guy.
I had someone recommend this to me as well...I'll check that out.

siberian khatru
03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Bigfoot: Man or Beast?

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
"Dogtown and Z-Boys" is one of my favorites.

BTW, "The Laramie Project" isn't really a documentary. It's more like a mockumentary that isn't mocking anything. I'm not sure what this genre is called, but it's definitely not a regular documentary -- all the people in that film are actors. Very, very good film though...

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Fahrenheit 9/11....Great documentary!

I'm just joking...but watch the people freak out who don't read this...

Actually if you have an open mind F/911 has a lot of truth to it..yes there is some :BS: in there ...Bowling for Columbine is also very interesting

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Actually if you have an open mind F/911 has a lot of truth to it..yes there is some :BS: in there ...Bowling for Columbine is also very interesting

I liked both flicks a lot, but you definitely have to have your BS sensor on full-power. Of course, this is true about almost anything...

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe I'm just to up to date on the issues presented in BFC and F911, but I've seen everything Moore has ever done, and I'd rate Roger and Me and several episodes of The Awful Truth more entertaining and informative.

Rain Man
03-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Bigfoot: Man or Beast?

Well...what's the answer?

CosmicPal
03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
I can't recall the title of the documentary, but it's the one about the birds.

I guess it took several years as they documented the full migration of these birds from one continent to another with some flying contraption next to the birds.

The cinematography is absolute amazing, if not gorgeous. But watching these birds in flight from an arm's length away was utterly spectacular. Great film.

And then, of course, there's Festival Express- a documentary about the Grateful Dead, The Band, and some other bands riding a train across Canada. The partying and jamming on the train itself was worth it. And then The Band's movie, The Last Waltz- great documentary as well.

As for mocumentaries- you can never go wrong with This is Spinal Tap or Best in Show. :thumb:

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
As for mocumentaries- you can never go wrong with This is Spinal Tap or Best in Show. :thumb:

Or A Mighty Wind or Waiting for Guffman -- ALL of Chris Guest's films are brilliant.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Or A Mighty Wind or Waiting for Guffman -- ALL of Chris Guest's films are brilliant.
If you like Guest's work. I urge you in no uncertain terms to rent the DVDs of the BBC series "The Office." Two six episode seasons and a 2 hour Christmas special. Does the mockumentary style even better than Guest at points.
There is an Americanized version that just started on NBC, and while I don't recommend against watching it [it's better than I expected], I would urge you to catch the BBC version before the NBC version gives away some of the 'bits.'

jcroft
03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
If you like Guest's work. I urge you in no uncertain terms to rent the DVDs of the BBC series "The Office." Two six episode seasons and a 2 hour Christmas special. Does the mockumentary style even better than Guest at points.
There is an Americanized version that just started on NBC, and while I don't recommend against watching it [it's better than I expected], I would urge you to catch the BBC version before the NBC version gives away some of the 'bits.'

You're the third person in less than a week that's told me to check out The Office. I will do so.

CosmicPal
03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
I can't recall the title of the documentary, but it's the one about the birds.

I guess it took several years as they documented the full migration of these birds from one continent to another with some flying contraption next to the birds.

The cinematography is absolute amazing, if not gorgeous. But watching these birds in flight from an arm's length away was utterly spectacular. Great film.

Uhhh, Winged Migration

That's the name of the film. I believe it won a couple of Oscars.

Braincase
03-31-2005, 04:35 PM
As far as "based on real events", I have to go with "...And the Band Played On." That one is always hard to turn off.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 04:41 PM
One I WOULD NOT recommend is 'What the &(*$ Do We Know?'
Whatta crapfest.

oaklandhater
03-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I liked both flicks a lot, but you definitely have to have your BS sensor on full-power. Of course, this is true about almost anything...

FahrenHYPE 9/11 was just has much Bs if not more

PunkinDrublic
03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Another state of mind- Punk rock documentary.

The revolution will not be televised- Film shows the first hand account of the coup of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.

Gunner palace- Unbiased look at the war in Iraq from one unit.

Michael Moores documentaries are entertaining and I like a lot of his humor but am smart enough to decipher b.s.

Hoop dreams- Movie really made you root for the families.

The yes men- Political pranksters are pretty funny.

Bush's brain- Really shows how sleazy Karl Rove can be.

Uncovered the truth behind the war in Iraq- A lot of propaganda but a lot of interesting points are made.

Demonpenz
03-31-2005, 05:05 PM
spice world

Nzoner
03-31-2005, 05:31 PM
"Dogtown and Z-Boys" is one of my favorites.

Good soundtrack too.

Otter
03-31-2005, 05:59 PM
"The World at War" 5-disc series.

90% of all 5 discs are actual footage. Begins by the showing how the German Population was slowly convinced that they were oppressed by outside forces and how the Jewish Population was decidedly responsible.

That was the most fascinating part in my opinion. Shows how an entire country when cut off from outside attitudes and beliefs and presented with fear of the government can be brainwashed.

The rest follows on with the progression of the war such as the forming and dissolution of alliances. How America became involved. Why the Russian took Berlin and not British and American troops and why Russia held so much power when dividing up post-war Europe.

Very inclusive and informative. Watched it thru Netflix rentals.

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 07:37 PM
"The World at War" 5-disc series.

90% of all 5 discs are actual footage. Begins by the showing how the German Population was slowly convinced that they were oppressed by outside forces and how the Jewish Population was decidedly responsible.

That was the most fascinating part in my opinion. Shows how an entire country when cut off from outside attitudes and beliefs and presented with fear of the government can be brainwashed.

The rest follows on with the progression of the war such as the forming and dissolution of alliances. How America became involved. Why the Russian took Berlin and not British and American troops and why Russia held so much power when dividing up post-war Europe.

Very inclusive and informative. Watched it thru Netflix rentals.
Sweet...more for the netflix list. :)

The fiance gets pissed (about war documentaries usually) and I'll have to give in to a few romantic comedies to even the score.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2005, 08:10 PM
There was a really good one of the IFC channel a few months back. It was called "Soldiers Pay" about some of the Soldiers who have faught over in the war in Iraq. It was directed by David O Russell the guy who made "Three Kings". Im not sure if its available on DVD yet? Here is the link to it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423453/

Delano
03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Not to hijack or anything, but...

Have any of you messed around with the "friends" option with Netflix?

Wrasse
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Not to hijack or anything, but...

Have any of you messed around with the "friends" option with Netflix?
Yea...pretty cool function so far.

I added a couple of friends who have similar tastes. They're trying to get me into 24, Oz and The Shield while I'm trying to get them into Deadwood. It's great to see what they think of some of the shows you're contemplating adding to your queue.

You can view a list of their most recent rentals and those they are waiting for. You also can view their ratings of those films along with a few other options.

HC_Chief
04-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Endless Summer - classic.
Decline of the Western Civilization - another classic.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Real Sex series on HBO.

Warrior5
04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
"Deliverance"...best documentary I've seen about Denver fans.

Wrasse
04-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Endless Summer - classic.
Decline of the Western Civilization - another classic.
ROFL ...great avatar.

NewChief
04-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Riding Giants: from Stacy Peralta. Excellent look at the Big Wave surfing scene.

Dog Town and the Z Boys: great look at the start of skateboarding. They're making a feature film out of it now which looks stupid.

Stevie: disturbing look at a disturbing individual.

Paradise Lost I&II: riveting examination of the Memphis killings.

Dark Days: cool look at the NYC homeless who live in abadoned subway tunnels.

American Hollow: look at a very poor rural family

Bangin' in Little Rock: infamous documentary about gang bangers in Little Rock, AR.

Crumb: look at the weird and wacky artist R. Crumb

The Dancing Outlaw: great look at a schizophrenic mountain clogger from backwoods West Virginia. Must be seen to be believed.

Hearts of Darkness: the Making of Apolalypse Now

One Day in September: a look at the 1972 Munich Olympics when the Israeli team was held hostage.

Super Size Me: a guy eats McDonald's nonstop for a month.

Ghengis Blues: Blind blues man goes to Tuva to participate in throat singing contest.

Okie Noodling: an in depth examination of hand fishing for big cats in Oklahoma. Soundtrack by the Flaming Lips.

Buena Vista Social Club: a look at the cuban music scene in the aftermath of Castro.

All of the Michael Moore documentaries.

I'll probably add more later. I love documentaries. Still haven't seen Caputuring the Friedman's or My Brother's Keeper.

alpha_omega
04-01-2005, 10:41 AM
History of Britain

http://www.shoppbs.org/sm-pbs-history-of-britain-complete-collection-5pk--pi-1402932.html

trndobrd
04-01-2005, 11:06 AM
"Deliverance"...best documentary I've seen about Denver fans.

ROFL

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
04-01-2005, 11:19 AM
One I WOULD NOT recommend is 'What the &(*$ Do We Know?'
Whatta crapfest.

I just subjected myself to this "bout of mental masturbation" last night.
This is a prime example of everything that is wrong with science today.
Instead of suspending judgement on the nature of things, let's just embrace romantic/self serving notions, seems to be the theme here.

Mark M
04-01-2005, 11:26 AM
'The Decline of Western Civilization, Part 2'

Documenting the last pathetic days of hair metal in LA.

Outstanding choice, and still my fav.

This weekend VH1 has "Some Kind of Monster" and I'll be checking that out. Of course, I'll try to refrain from calling Lars an ignorant, money-grubbing bastard. :)

Otherwise, I haven't seen a lot of documentaries. I saw Ken Burns' Baseball and Civil War, but that's about it.

Thanks to everyone for giving me some ideas of what to rent.

MM
~~:thumb:

NewChief
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Outstanding choice, and still my fav.

This weekend VH1 has "Some Kind of Monster" and I'll be checking that out. Of course, I'll try to refrain from calling Lars an ignorant, money-grubbing bastard. :)

Otherwise, I haven't seen a lot of documentaries. I saw Ken Burns' Baseball and Civil War, but that's about it.

Thanks to everyone for giving me some ideas of what to rent.

MM
~~:thumb:

Some Kind of Monster is awesome! I should have put it on my list.

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
04-01-2005, 11:33 AM
"Saints and Sinners" - PBS series about the history of the Holy Roman Catholic Church, and the papacy in particular.

In fact, I really enjoy almost any documentary work done about ancient civilizations, ie; Greece, Rome, Egypt.
I wish there was more/more comprehensive documentaries about ancient Mesopotamia.

CosmicPal
04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Brother's Keepers

Dark Days

and The Atomic Cafe' were all some pretty riveting, yet compassionate documentaries...

Dallas Chief
04-01-2005, 12:31 PM
We Stand Alone Together- Band of brothers documentary about Easy Company
American Dream- about the Hormel strike in the 80's in Austin-MN
Paradise Lost I an II- about the West Memphis Three.
Ride the Wild Surf- IFC film about surfing
The endless summer docs.
Netflix has a pretty extensive library of docs. Easy to search also.

ChiefJustice
04-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Journey of the Corps of Discovery-a Ken Burns take on Lewis and Clark (the greatest American adventure)

Shackleton-a Discovery channel movie(the dvd has numerous tales of other arctic explorers and actual film
from the sinking of the 'Endeavour')

If you haven't heard of Shackleton before...he should be first on your list...IMHO.