PDA

View Full Version : Vatican source: Pope given last rites

KingPriest2
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Vatican source: Pope given last rites
Ailing pontiff suffers from high fever with urinary tract infection
Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 4:56 PM EST (2156 GMT)

The pope tried to speak Wednesday, but his words were not clear.

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday night as his health deteriorated, a Vatican source has told CNN.

The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites -- also known as the sacrament of anointing the sick -- are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well. The pope received the sacrament after he was shot by a would-be assassin in 1981.

The pope is suffering from a high fever caused by a urinary tract infection, the Vatican confirmed earlier Thursday -- one day after revealing he had been put on a nasal feeding tube for nutrition.

The pope is taking antibiotics, a Vatican spokesman said.

Medical sources at Gemelli Hospital in Rome, where the pope has been hospitalized twice since February, told CNN that no provisions are being made for the pope to be readmitted for treatment.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said in a statement released Wednesday: "To improve his calorific intake and promote an efficient recovery of his strength, nutrition via the positioning of a nasal-gastric tube has begun."

The pope underwent a tracheotomy February 24 and still has a tube inserted in his windpipe to help his breathing.

Earlier Wednesday, the pope appeared at his studio window and blessed the thousands of faithful in St. Peter's Square.

He appeared alert during the four-minute appearance, which drew cheers from the crowd gathered beneath his window.

He raised his hand in blessing and made the sign of the cross as a Vatican official read greetings and prayers.

A microphone was raised to his face as he tried to speak, but the words were not clear.

The pope has spent a total of 28 days in two stints at Gemelli hospital in Rome in the past two months.

Nicola Cerbino, a spokesman at the hospital, said Wednesday that there was no plan to hospitalize the pope.

On Monday the pope skipped the post-Easter Angelus prayer for the first time in his 26-year papacy.

The 84-year-old pope suffers from a number of chronic illnesses, including crippling hip and knee ailments, and Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that can make breathing difficult.

Throughout his various illnesses and brushes with death, even after the assassination attempt, the pope always said his life was in God's hands

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 04:09 PM
I didn't know the Catholic Faith allowed last rights to be given twice?

I suppose the bashers should form a line *here* to dance on the grave.

Rain Man
03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
I was in high school the last time they put out the white smoke. Been awhile.

No offense, JP. Get well soon.

DanT
03-31-2005, 07:53 PM

The sacrament of Annointing of the Sick (a.k.a. "Extreme Unction" or "Last Rites") can be given more than once. Vatican II clarified the role of that sacrament.

Here's part of the entry in the Catechism on this sacrament:
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/heal2.html

A sacrament of the sick
1511 The Church believes and confesses that among the seven sacraments there is one especially intended to strengthen those who are being tried by illness, the Anointing of the Sick:
This sacred anointing of the sick was instituted by Christ our Lord as a true and proper sacrament of the New Testament. It is alluded to indeed by Mark, but is recommended to the faithful and promulgated by James the apostle and brother of the Lord.[124]

1512 From ancient times in the liturgical traditions of both East and West, we have testimonies to the practice of anointings of the sick with blessed oil. Over the centuries the Anointing of the Sick was conferred more and more exclusively on those at the point of death. Because of this it received the name "Extreme Unction." Notwithstanding this evolution the liturgy has never failed to beg the Lord that the sick person may recover his health if it would be conducive to his salvation.[125]

1513 The Apostolic Constitution Sacram unctionem infirmorum,[126] following upon the Second Vatican Council,[127] established that henceforth, in the Roman Rite, the following be observed:
The sacrament of Anointing of the Sick is given to those who are seriously ill by anointing them on the forehead and hands with duly blessed oil - pressed from olives or from other plants - saying, only once: "Through this holy anointing may the Lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up."[128]

II. WHO RECEIVES AND WHO ADMINISTERS THIS SACRAMENT?
In case of grave illness . . .
1514 The Anointing of the Sick "is not a sacrament for those only who are at the point of death. Hence, as soon as anyone of the faithful begins to be in danger of death from sickness or old age, the fitting time for him to receive this sacrament has certainly already arrived."[129]

1515 If a sick person who received this anointing recovers his health, he can in the case of another grave illness receive this sacrament again. If during the same illness the person's condition becomes more serious, the sacrament may be repeated. It is fitting to receive the Anointing of the Sick just prior to a serious operation. The same holds for the elderly whose frailty becomes more pronounced.

" . . . let him call for the presbyters of the Church"
1516 Only priests (bishops and presbyters) are ministers of the Anointing of the Sick.[130] It is the duty of pastors to instruct the faithful on the benefits of this sacrament. The faithful should encourage the sick to call for a priest to receive this sacrament. The sick should prepare themselves to receive it with good dispositions, assisted by their pastor and the whole ecclesial community, which is invited to surround the sick in a special way through their prayers and fraternal attention.

DanT
03-31-2005, 07:56 PM
God bless John Paul II.

tommykat
03-31-2005, 09:14 PM
God bless John Paul II.

Agreed...............But he will be in the best place anyone could imagine!

C-Mac
03-31-2005, 09:35 PM

I enjoy many Catholic faithed friends here on the Planet including yourself and I would never entertain such a disrespectful thought.
:shake:

Now I would dance on the grave of some of the churches teachings and actions, but thats a totally different can of worms that I, and I hope others, will save for some other thread.
:thumb:

whoman69
03-31-2005, 09:54 PM
I think he should have been allowed to step down some time ago. He has done his part and should have rested and enjoyed his last remaining years.

SoCalBronco
03-31-2005, 10:03 PM
God Bless the Pope. The Lord will be with him. I hope he recovers but if he doesnt he has done throughout his lifetime quite simply an amazing service to mankind.

SBK
03-31-2005, 10:08 PM
I think he should have been allowed to step down some time ago. He has done his part and should have rested and enjoyed his last remaining years.

Im sure there's nothing he would have rather done the last few years. The Pope's a good man in my book. :thumb:

Stinger
03-31-2005, 10:11 PM
I enjoy many Catholic faithed friends here on the Planet including yourself and I would never entertain such a disrespectful thought.

Ditto ...

Now I would dance on the grave of some of the churches teachings and actions, but thats a totally different can of worms that I, and I hope others, will save for some other thread.
:thumb:

Very well put sir :thumb:

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 10:14 PM
If you don't believe them.....dont' believe them. They have no effect on you if you're not Catholic.

I hope Others will also choose to be respectful if the unfortunate happens. Contrary to the beliefs of some......it will be a "big deal" if he passes.

chiefs4me
03-31-2005, 10:22 PM
God Bless John Paul

Hoover
03-31-2005, 10:28 PM
He truley is a great Pope. Coming from Poland during the height of the Cold War, an amazing man, I fear about who will follow him.

Hoover
excatholic

KCWolfman
03-31-2005, 10:31 PM
He can "step down" any time he likes. There is no law or rule in Catholicism that forces the Pope to continue service.

C-Mac
03-31-2005, 10:39 PM
If you don't believe them.....dont' believe them. They have no effect on you if you're not Catholic..

If your directing that toward me, like I requested, try to save it for another thread. If not disreguard.

Out of respect, I'm doing my best to exercise self control by keeping myself from commenting on your second sentence.........

Delano
03-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Out of respect, I'm doing my best to exercise self control by keeping myself from commenting on your second sentence.........

You just did comment.

Every time you enter a thread about Catholicism you seem to offer some sort of anti-Catholic apologetics. Give it a rest man..

C-Mac
03-31-2005, 11:13 PM
You just did comment.

Every time you enter a thread about Catholicism you seem to offer some sort of anti-Catholic apologetics. Give it a rest man..

You obviously didnt read my previous post or you didnt didnt understand it. It appears a few of you with like faith are having an even more difficult time dealing with the refraining issue.

Delano
03-31-2005, 11:34 PM
You obviously didnt read my previous post or you didnt didnt understand it. It appears a few of you with like faith are having an even more difficult time dealing with the refraining issue.

Nah, I think I read it just fine. You want to dance on church teachings and simultaneously refrain from comment on church teachings.

C-Mac
03-31-2005, 11:59 PM
Nah, I think I read it just fine. You want to dance on church teachings and simultaneously refrain from comment on church teachings.

No you obviously didnt.
I was responding to Iowanian's first post by letting him know that I would always show proper respect for a dying man, whether I agree with him or not and I encourged others to do the same.

Jeez............lighten up Francis

chiefqueen
04-01-2005, 12:07 AM
The Pope's condition has worsened according to Reuters the Vatican put his condition at "very grave".

Because of my disability copying & pasting is hard for me. I'll let somebody else post the article.

MSNBC is providing coverage. FOX News & CNN are rerunning primetime programming.

Delano
04-01-2005, 12:16 AM
VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II's condition is "very serious," Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls told reporters early Friday, the first time the Vatican has used such language to describe the pontiff's latest health crisis.

Navarro-Valls said the pope had suffered "cardiocirculatory collapse and shock," but denied media reports that the ailing pontiff had had a heart attack.

The spokesman said the pope remains lucid and serene and is being attended to in the Vatican, because it is his desire to remain in his residence and not return to the hospital.

The pontiff even prayed a Mass early Friday, Navarro-Valls said.

Stinger
04-01-2005, 12:18 AM
The Pope's condition has worsened according to Reuters the Vatican put his condition at "very grave".

Because of my disability copying & pasting is hard for me. I'll let somebody else post the article.

MSNBC is providing coverage. FOX News & CNN are rerunning primetime programming.

Vatican: Pope Has Suffered Heart Failure

11 minutes ago

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican said Friday that Pope John Paul II's condition was very serious, hours after he suffered heart failure.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said in a statement that on Thursday afternoon the pope's heart stopped momentarily during treatment for a urinary tract infection.

"This morning the condition of the Holy Father is very serious," the statement said.

However, it said that the pope had participated in a 6 a.m. mass Friday and that "the Holy Father is conscious, lucid, and serene."

The pontiff's health declined sharply after he developed a high fever Thursday brought on by the infection.

The pontiff was attended to by the Vatican medical team, and provided with "all the appropriate therapeutic provisions and cardio-respiratory assistance," the statement said.

The pope's wish to remain at the Vatican was respected, Navarro-Valls said.

The statement confirmed previous reports that the pope had received the sacrament for the sick and dying on Thursday evening.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=518&e=2&u=/ap/pope

recycle
04-01-2005, 03:46 AM
What remains of the Pope:

http://poetry.rotten.com/cannibalisme/cannibalisme.jpg

chappy
04-01-2005, 03:56 AM
God Bless Pope John Paul when he passes i will be full of sorrow. he has done a great service to mankind. may our prayers be with him

Ari Chi3fs
04-01-2005, 04:03 AM
God bless you John Paul II, Karol Wojtyla... You deserve a good seat above. Lets pray your successor is as wise.

5-6 fluent languages, unreal. Mother Theresa is gone, soon PJPII, then Billy Graham... who will be the religious leaders be?

KingPriest2
04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I heard he fell into a coma during the night. He also had heart failure yesterday.

bkkcoh
04-01-2005, 08:25 AM
God bless you John Paul II, Karol Wojtyla... You deserve a good seat above. Lets pray your successor is as wise.

5-6 fluent languages, unreal. Mother Theresa is gone, soon PJPII, then Billy Graham... who will be the religious leaders be?

Jessie Jacksoooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnn

Louie Farakhan [sp]