PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: Where there's a Will …

keg in kc
04-01-2005, 09:16 AM
GRETZ: Where there's a Will … (http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/01/gretz_where_theres_a_will_/)

Apr 01, 2005, 5:40:52 AM by Bob Gretz

This must be the cruelest of April fool’s jokes: Will Shields status in the Chiefs starting offensive line is up in the air?

Will he retire? Will he play on? Will Will find a way? Suddenly, it has become one of the biggest topics of discussions in the Chiefs Kingdom. The Chiefs are lifting weights and running sprints and Will Shields is not among them.

Now, he could stay home until the first day of the regular season and step into the starting lineup and it would probably be hard to tell he’d been missing. That’s the way it is with a player that has played as long and as well as Shields; there are certain things that come naturally, especially for an athlete as physically gifted and intelligent as him.

Right now, Shields is skipping school, but they are all classes that he can make up. He’s trying to decide if he’s going to graduate early.

Naturally, the mere thought has fans, coaches and teammates concerned, as well it should. Will Shields is one of the greatest players to ever wear Lamar Hunt’s red and gold uniform. He is the best offensive lineman in team history and should, I say should, find a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Will he hang’em up after 12 seasons? I’m not going to try and read his mind. Shields says the same things now that he was saying about a month ago during an event at the stadium. That was pretty much the same thing he said way back in January: he’s thinking through the situation, his future and he has yet to make a decision.

When you’ve played 192 consecutive games … when you can count the number of practice sessions you’ve missed over 12 years on your fingers and have some left over … when you’ve had the type of collisions that Shields has lived through … pondering retirement is a 365-day a year matter.

If you doubt me, then do this simple experiment: go out to the garage or down to the basement and find the heaviest object you can physically lift and carry. Now, pick that object up and sprint as fast as you can for about 10 yards and run into a wall. Pick yourself up, pick up the object and do it again, and again, and again … Do it about 60 times, if you can survive that long. You’ll want to retire as well.

Even that won’t give you an idea of what Shields and his body have gone through during his time in the NFL. He’s never missed a game because of injury, but that doesn’t mean Shields hasn’t been hurt. Knee and ankle injuries have cost him plays within a game and there was that Houston game back in 2003 when a sore hip flared up and he almost was a pre-game scratch.

Not surprisingly, Shields played that day, just as he did in every game before that, and every game since.

Frequently, we take for granted athletes like Will Shields. So often, our attention gets diverted by the meteors that flash across the sporting sky. No matter when he decides to leave the game – now, next season, after that – Will Shields will be missed. Someone will take his place, maybe even perform quite well, but he won’t be Will Shields.

HC_Chief
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
I hope he's using this as a tool to pressure the coaching staff and FO to get their collective thumbs out of their asses and actually DO SOMETHING TO IMPROVE THE F*CKING DEFENSE!! :grr:

I'd be major-league pissed if I were a perennial PB player from this offense. Year after year of excellence, flushed down the toilet by stupid coaches and piss-poor personnel decisions on the defensive side.

kchero
04-01-2005, 09:25 AM
GRETZ: Where there's a Will … (http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/01/gretz_where_theres_a_will_/)

Naturally, the mere thought has fans, coaches and teammates concerned, as well it should. Will Shields is one of the greatest players to ever wear Lamar Hunt’s red and gold uniform. He is the best offensive lineman in team history and should, I say should, find a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Not if you have something to do with it Gretz....I wonder if he will just a good of a job as he did with DT

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
A few good questions for Will .....

Will Will do the right thing ?

Will Will play football ?

Will Will retire ?

What will Will do ?

When will Will make his mind on what he will do ?

Is it's Will's will. ?

whoman69
04-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Will anyone read Gretz' next column?

Deberg_1990
04-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Will Gretz ever lose weight and lay off the KC BBQ??

Lzen
04-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Will is a sure Hall Of Famer. I don't think anyone will be able to screw that up. No doubt that when he does ever decide to retire, he will be sorely missed. That being said, I'm hoping that Welbourn will be able to somewhat fill his shoes adequately. No, I'm not saying that he'll ever be as good as Will Shields. But I'm just hoping there won't be much dropoff.

As far as his streak of consecutive games, hey that's great and all. But the guy is paid millions of dollars a year to be on the field. If any of us were paid that much money, we would have to be on our deathbed before we were allowed to not participate.

whoman69
04-01-2005, 12:34 PM
As far as his streak of consecutive games, hey that's great and all. But the guy is paid millions of dollars a year to be on the field. If any of us were paid that much money, we would have to be on our deathbed before we were allowed to not participate.
Not sure I agree with that. Sure these guys love to play football, but are they really accepting the big money so they can be an invalid the rest of their lives? Will is a great guy besides being a great football player. If he decides that he's taken enough of the punishment or he really doesn't believe the front office is going to put a SB team on the field, that's his choice. I for one hope that he comes back, not because he owes us anything for the big money he's EARNED , but because he still has a love for the game, can play it at a high level, and believes this team can and will get it done.