PDA

View Full Version : "Processes" and Performance

jspchief
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Full scoop: When I'm on the computer I almost always have half my screen playing an online game called runescape. The other half is stuff like the Planet, other websites, or work. The game consumes a lot of my computer's resources, but I normally have no problem with performance.

A few months ago, I started having occasional periods of very poor performance. It's not internet related because sites load fine. When I checked my "processes" under task manager, I had a process called msn.exe that consumed a huge portion of my CPU (128k mem usage, 95-98% CPU). When that process is running at 90 or lower, things are fine, but sometimes it gets to the 95+ range and I have all sorts of trouble. I can't determine why it runs at such variable amounts without me doing anything diferent. I ran all sorts of anti-spy,anti-ad, etc., thinking that something must be running in the background to cause the oddly timed performance problems. For a while that appeared to do the trick.

Now my troubles are back. I can't for the life of me figure out why my comp can handle these tasks without a sweat some of the time, but absolutely labor (to the point of lock-ups) at other times, with no variance in what I'm asking it to do.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
msn.exe is a virus.

HC_Chief
04-01-2005, 09:58 AM
msn.exe is a virus.

Yep.

MSN - MSN.exe - Process Information

Process File: MSN or MSN.exe
Process Name: W32.Flita virus

Description:
MSN.exe is a process which is registered as the W32.Flita Trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

per: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/MSN/

jspchief
04-01-2005, 10:04 AM
All the Anti-virus I've run won't pick it up. Everything comes back clean. Is it possible that msn.exe is also the name of the process for my internet? I use MSN for my ISP.

I'll try that AVG anti that was mentioned in the other thread, see if it finds something my other two programs didn't.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Its not your internet. I don't think so, at least.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Do you use any special content software to access MSN (ala the AOL software)?

Becuase if you don't, it's definitely NOT your internet access.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Do you use SimpLite with MSN Messenger for encrypted conversations?

http://www.spyany.com/files/MSN_exe.html

It also appears that MSN does use a file called msn.exe.

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-35815.html

Otherwise, msn.exe is associated with a number of virus/trojans, including the W32.Flita and Backdoor.Ducy.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
An hour later, with an AVG scan, my comp still comes back clean.

I access the internet through MSN 9. I'm fairly sure that msn.exe is related to that, because when I end that process it logs me out.

Is it possible that something as simple as temp internet files is causing the slowdown? I just cleared those out and it appeared to fix the problem. Unfortunately, the way the problem comes and goes, I can never tell if what I did actually fixes it or if it's just coincidental.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
An hour later, with an AVG scan, my comp still comes back clean.

I access the internet through MSN 9. I'm fairly sure that msn.exe is related to that, because when I end that process it logs me out.

Is it possible that something as simple as temp internet files is causing the slowdown? I just cleared those out and it appeared to fix the problem. Unfortunately, the way the problem comes and goes, I can never tell if what I did actually fixes it or if it's just coincidental.

In one of those links I pasted, there was a HiJackThis log that referred to "c:\program files\MSN\msncorefiles\msn.exe".

If you're using MSN 9.0, then I'm pretty sure msn.exe is not a virus, it's your content/internet software.

There's a good chance that the MSN software uses the temporary internet folder for content caching, so yeah, that might have been your problem.

StcChief
04-01-2005, 01:03 PM
www.mozilla.org just get Firefox and forget IE.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 01:21 PM
www.mozilla.org (http://www.mozilla.org) just get Firefox and forget IE.

Firefox sucks

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
www.mozilla.org just get Firefox and forget IE.

Brilliant.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 01:52 PM
OWNED.

Pants
04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
OWNED.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 03:49 PM
OWNED.

OUTED!

ENDelt260
04-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Haha... that is a sweet owned pic. I think that's by far my favorite metrolike post ever.