Pants
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Good story.

HolmeZz
04-01-2005, 05:44 PM
APRIL FOO'Z.

blackhawk
04-01-2005, 05:50 PM
sirius carl said no deal. it will replay later tonite will give you guys heads up on the time later or call
the afternoon blitz 1-877-nfl-kick

TRR
04-01-2005, 05:51 PM
sirius carl said no deal. it will replay later tonite will give you guys heads up on the time later or call

Considering everyone and their mother is reporting that the deal is finalized, I would have to say your full of sh*t.

CosmicPal
04-01-2005, 05:52 PM

I like the Afternoon Blitz. Isn't that the one with John Riggins and what's his name?

Deberg_1990
04-01-2005, 05:52 PM
both sides are at a standstill. The Chiefs wont give up anything higher than a 4th. Saban wont buge and take anything lower than a 3rd. The deal probably will never happen IMO.

The Bad Guy
04-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Carl Peterson wouldn't admit if they did have a deal in place.

Everywhere is reporting it, King Carl is just covering his ass.

The Bad Guy
04-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Damn you John Welbourn, why couldn't your gimpy ass sit out a few more snaps?

dtrain
04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I just saw on ESPN bottom line that we have a deal with Surtain now gotta workout the trade.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Considering everyone and their mother is reporting that the deal is finalized, I would have to say your full of sh*t.
Actually, everyone reporting it is simply quoting the Sun-Sentinel. And they are not saying the deal is finalized, they are saying it is agreed in principle.

Other than that, the Chiefs have a history of not confirming anything until after it actually is finalized, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

TRR
04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Actually, everyone reporting it is simply quoting the Sun-Sentinel. And they are not saying the deal is finalized, they are saying it is agreed in principle.

Other than that, the Chiefs have a history of not confirming anything until after it actually is finalized, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong. But right now, we have a deal with Surtain. Now we have to get a trade with the Fins worked out. It doesn't make sense for Peterson to go on the radio and say they don't have a deal when everyone is already reporting it as done.

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I just saw on ESPN bottom line that we have a deal with Surtain now gotta workout the trade.
Are you serious?

TRR
04-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Are you serious?

It's been on ESPN's bottom line all day.

Pants
04-01-2005, 06:09 PM
It's been on ESPN's bottom line all day.

LOL, he was being sarcastic.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Two things to keep in mind that are 100% fact:

1) Carl Peterson is the one saying they don't have a deal. Even if they don't have a deal, he would never say.

2) The report that STARTED the story (and ended up on ESPN, etc.) came from the Florida Sun Sentinel. That writer got his info from Surtain's AGENT. So again, it's not exactly a trusted source.

dtrain
04-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Are you serious?

Very serious! If you have ESPN news it is on the bottom line part.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Very serious! If you have ESPN news it is on the bottom line part.

ESPN is just passing on the news that first appeared in the Sun Sentinel. And that story came from Surtain's agent.

The Bad Guy
04-01-2005, 06:18 PM
ESPN is just passing on the news that first appeared in the Sun Sentinel. And that story came from Surtain's agent.

99% of information leaked comes from agents.

I bet they do have an agreement in place, and he leaked it to get a fire under the 2 teams to finalize a deal.

HolmeZz
04-01-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't see the incentive of Surtain's agent leaking a fake story. If the Chiefs didn't have something worked out with them, there'd be no reason for the agent to try and push a trade.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Maybe I'll be proved wrong. But right now, we have a deal with Surtain. Now we have to get a trade with the Fins worked out. It doesn't make sense for Peterson to go on the radio and say they don't have a deal when everyone is already reporting it as done.
I'm not saying that the Chiefs and Surtain haven't come to an agreement (in principle), but nothing is signed and nothing is done.

Have you ever known the Chiefs to confirm a trade or a signing BEFORE it was complete? All I am saying is that his post is not bullshit. It would be a typical Chiefs move to deny everything until everything really is done.

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:29 PM
LOL, he was being sarcastic.
Damn, you're a genius.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't see the incentive of Surtain's agent leaking a fake story. If the Chiefs didn't have something worked out with them, there'd be no reason for the agent to try and push a trade.

He has plenty of incentive. If the Chiefs are trying to lowball him, leaking a story like this puts them under alot of pressure, considering how the fans and media are looking at this...

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I bet they do have an agreement in place, and he leaked it to get a fire under the 2 teams to finalize a deal.

Yeah, that's the most likely scenario. I'm just reminding everyone that neither side is particularly trustworthy at this point.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:55 PM
He has plenty of incentive. If the Chiefs are trying to lowball him, leaking a story like this puts them under alot of pressure, considering how the fans and media are looking at this...
And may convince other suitors they can no longer afford to wait or must up their offer.

keg in kc
04-01-2005, 07:00 PM
He has plenty of incentive. If the Chiefs are trying to lowball him, leaking a story like this puts them under alot of pressure, considering how the fans and media are looking at this...That makes no sense at all. If he wanted the Chiefs to up their offer, the last thing he would do is leak that there's an agreement in principal in place. That doesn't put any kind of (public) pressure on KC from a contract negotiation standpoint. If he wanted to lean on us for more $$$, he'd have leaked that other teams have entered the bidding, or that Miami and KC are close but we're balking on the contract. The only people who have anything to gain from this story from a PR standpoint are really the Dolphins, and to a lesser degree the Chiefs.

Hog Rider
04-01-2005, 07:02 PM
We got the news from ESPN.
They got it from the Sun Sentinel.
They, naturally get their news from the Planet!
And we get our news from ESPN.....

Shiat! Is it news or not?

ltlchfinD
04-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Nothing on ESPN's website. Here is all of there headlines from today.

Friday, April 1, 2005

Little found not guilty on drunken driving charge
Rams defensive end Leonard Little was found not guilty of drunken driving Friday by a St. Louis County Circuit jury.

Judge dismisses CU rape lawsuits
A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a pair of lawsuits filed against the University of Colorado by two women who say they were raped by football players or recruits in a case that ignited a recruiting scandal at the state's flagship school.

Same old song and rain dance at BellSouth
Phil Mickelson and the rest of the field at the BellSouth Classic had to wait two extra days to tee off. No biggie, though. Everyone's getting used to playing the waiting game.

Bench press: Brown coaches Pistons practice
Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown will return to the bench Friday against the Los Angeles Clippers after a 10-game absence following a procedure related to a previous hip surgery.

Armstrong attorney calls new allegation 'absurd'
A former personal assistant to Lance Armstrong filed court papers Thursday alleging that he discovered a banned substance in the six-time Tour de France winner's apartment in Spain early last year.

Moving up? Clarett runs faster 40
Maurice Clarett was heavier and faster Thursday in workouts for NFL scouts in Youngstown, Ohio.

BabyCenter: Child born at Anaheim ESPN Zone
A baby was born Thursday at the ESPN Zone in Anaheim, Calif.

Webber out 7-10 days with sprained shoulder
Philadelphia 76ers forward Chris Webber will miss seven to 10 days after spraining his left shoulder against the Phoenix Suns, the team said Thursday.

Belichick: 'Upbeat' Bruschi at Patriots HQ daily
Six weeks after a stroke, linebacker Tedy Bruschi visits the New England Patriots' headquarters daily, coach Bill Belichick told a group at Bryant College.

All aboard: Agency backs Jets stadium in NYC
The New York Jets' plan for a $1.7 billion Manhattan stadium that also could serve as the centerpiece of the 2012 Olympics cleared a major hurdle Thursday when its bid was approved by the state agency that owns the proposed site.

Bulls C Curry treated for irregular heartbeat
Chicago center Eddy Curry was being treated for an irregular heartbeat and was expected to miss the Bulls' game against Cleveland on Thursday night, the team said.

TV deal: Orioles, Nationals on same channel
The Baltimore Orioles and Major League Baseball reached agreement Thursday on a deal that will allow games involving the new Washington Nationals to be televised.

Report: Bonds' ex-girlfriend working on book
The Kimberly Bell book tour, even without a publishing deal, has begun.

Rain, rain, go away: BellSouth suspended
Rain continues to pour on the PGA Tour and has forced officials to push back the start of the $5 million BellSouth Classic to 3 p.m. ET.

IRS probing Barnett's summer football camps
The Internal Revenue Service is investigating two summer football camps run by University of Colorado coach Gary Barnett.

Doctor defends steroids practice
A South Carolina doctor accused of writing steroid prescriptions for three players on the Carolina Panthers says he prescribes the drugs only when medically necessary.

USA tops Guatemala in WC qualifier

East wins McDonald's despite blowing big lead
Gerald Green scored 24 points and Greg Paulus added 13 points and made 7-of-8 free throws in the final 2 minutes for the East, which squandered a 27-point lead before beating the West 115-110 in the McDonald's All-American game Wednesday night.

MLB medical adviser calls résumé errors minor
MLB's medical adviser, who praised baseball's steroids policy and challenged its critics while testifying before Congress, has discrepancies in biographical statements about his professional and educational credentials, according to the New York Times.

Labor talks reportedly to resume on Monday
The NHL and players' association will hold the next round of labor talks early next week, with the union having little time remaining to make a deal that doesn't link league revenues to player costs.

Armstrong: 2005 Tour De France could be last
Six-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong says the 2005 event could be his last.

Palmeiro: Last 10-20 years 'tainted' by steroids
For years, Rafael Palmeiro was linked to the words power and consistency. Now, for some, there's another: steroids.

Appeals court nixes $44.6M award in agent tiff
A federal appeals court Wednesday overturned a $44.6 million judgment in a lawsuit that the former company of sports agent Leigh Steinberg filed against his former business partner for allegedly poaching clients.

Boozer out for season; Sloan benches Snyder
Carlos Boozer will not play again this season, and the Utah Jazz will be down an additional player after coach Jerry Sloan benched rookie forward Kirk Snyder for Wednesday's game against Denver because he taunted the opposing bench Monday.

Top-seed Mauresmo reaches Nasdaq semis
Top-ranked Amelie Mauresmo advanced to the semifinals of the Nasdaq-100 Open by beating 17-year-old Ana Ivanovic 6-1, 6-4 Wednesday.

Donovan plenty: Galaxy ship star Ruiz to Dallas

Orioles ship lefty Riley to Rangers
The Baltimore Orioles finally gave up on pitcher Matt Riley, trading the left-hander to the Texas Rangers on Wednesday for outfielder Ramon Nivar.

Reds say Griffey won't be a fair-weather player
While Ken Griffey, Jr. has been a fair-weather player this spring -- he's either been scratched or moved to designated hitter when its rained -- he will be in the lineup rain or shine once the season begins.

Former Arizona State RB faces murder charge
Former Arizona State running back Loren Wade was charged with first-degree murder Tuesday, hours after coach Dirk Koetter acknowledged that he may have misread signs that the player was headed for trouble.

UConn's Kellogg charged with drug possession
Suspended Connecticut backup point guard Antonio Kellogg was arrested and charged with possession of less than four ounces of marijuana, state police said Wednesday.

TEX
04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
both sides are at a standstill. The Chiefs wont give up anything higher than a 4th. Saban wont buge and take anything lower than a 3rd. The deal probably will never happen IMO.

Honestly, why can't the CHIEFS just give up the 3rd they got as compensation for Tait and be done with it? It's not like anyone we take in the 3rd will be better than Surtain... :shake:

unlurking
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
HOW MANY TIMES DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO SAY YOU CAN'T TRADE COMPENSATORY PICKS?!?!?!?!?!

Would a mod please create a thread titled "You cannot trade compensatory picks" and sticky it?

The Bad Guy
04-01-2005, 10:02 PM
ITI,

You might want to check Pasquarelli's tip sheet from today, it's in there.

blackhawk
04-01-2005, 10:15 PM
from finheaven & co
Carl Peterson (Chiefs GM) on Sirius NFL radio... Surtain*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl Peterson is the Chiefs GM/President/CEO of the Chiefs. He's on the afternoon blitz on sirius NFL radio and they just spoke about Surtain. Here are the nuggets:

-There is NOT a deal in place with Surtain and the Chiefs
-He would not comment on offering a 4th rd pick for him
-He does not want to give up a 2nd rd pick this year for him
-Said the topic for a 2nd rd pick next year has not yet been discussed but did not deny the possibility
-said he anticipates communication continuing until the draft and perhaps after

Obviously no link but I don't lie. However, Peterson may be about having a deal in place because I think it could give Miami leverage.

TEX
04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
HOW MANY TIMES DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO SAY YOU CAN'T TRADE COMPENSATORY PICKS?!?!?!?!?!

Would a mod please create a thread titled "You cannot trade compensatory picks" and sticky it?

Hey A$$HOLE, all it took was 1 time. This is the first time I heard of that. Thanks for the information. Now, maybe a mod can start an A$$HOLE thread as well... :hmmm:

DenverChief
04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Hey A$$HOLE, all it took was 1 time. This is the first time I heard of that. Thanks for the information. Now, maybe a mod can start an A$$HOLE thread as well... :hmmm:

Whoa there killer...it has been suggested by several people over the past couple of days...we need to put a neon sign on this place

CANNOT TRADE COMPENSATORY PICKS

;)

unlurking
04-02-2005, 02:37 AM
One time PER PERSON who has brought it up.

Add up all the Hartwell is 48 hours from signing threads and all the Surtain is a Chief threads and you still won't have half the number of times this has been discussed.

I apologize for coming off like a prick, but it does get rather annoying.

Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2005, 02:45 AM
One time PER PERSON who has brought it up.

Add up all the Hartwell is 48 hours from signing threads and all the Surtain is a Chief threads and you still won't have half the number of times this has been discussed.

I apologize for coming off like a prick, but it does get rather annoying.

Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.
Are we there yet?
No.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

chappy
04-02-2005, 03:38 AM
are we there yet?

Rausch
04-02-2005, 03:41 AM
are we there yet?

No.

And if you don't ditch that Communist sig I'll reach back there and smack that face off your head...

Kclee
04-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I heard Carl on Sirius too. He came off sounding like a dick and kind of dashed my hopes for getting Surtain. He said not only do they not have a deal but that the two sides weren't even close. And that he would not give up a 2nd for him. He said the 2nd was just too valuable and the host agreed with him. Like maqe said, I hope this is just Carl covering his ass by denying everything, but it didn't sound good at all.

Plus this tid bit from Teicher in Fire Me Boy's thread.

“We've shown a real interest in the guy,'' said coach Dick Vermeil, who added that he was unaware of any contract agreement. “But there's got to be a trade made and a contract negotiated.

Manila-Chief
04-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, that's the most likely scenario. I'm just reminding everyone that neither side is particularly trustworthy at this point.

you are right on the money with this!!!

the Talking Can
04-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I heard Carl on Sirius too. He came off sounding like a dick and kind of dashed my hopes for getting Surtain.

He always sounds like that.

He thinks that if you insult the players and agents publically they'll end up signing for peanuts.

"We'll..we'd be interested if he'd been a 5 time probowler, but he's only been to the probowl 3 times...and we've got Bartee, so I don't think the money is right...we might talk to him if he doesn't sign elswhere (Smoot-Vikings)...but probably not because we're pretty ****ing lazy and - let's be honest - we won the most games of any franchise in the 90's so really these guys should come to us crawling on their knees and ready to work my schlong before they sign a contract paying them 1/3 of their fair market value"

The Bad Guy
04-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I heard Carl on Sirius too. He came off sounding like a dick and kind of dashed my hopes for getting Surtain. He said not only do they not have a deal but that the two sides weren't even close. And that he would not give up a 2nd for him. He said the 2nd was just too valuable and the host agreed with him. Like maqe said, I hope this is just Carl covering his ass by denying everything, but it didn't sound good at all.

Plus this tid bit from Teicher in Fire Me Boy's thread.

“We've shown a real interest in the guy,'' said coach Dick Vermeil, who added that he was unaware of any contract agreement. “But there's got to be a trade made and a contract negotiated.

I 100% believe that the Chiefs have an agreement with him.

Yeah draft picks are so valuable that they gave up a 3 for a converted guard, but a 2nd is too much?

The fact that we have to put up with this swill for 5 more years makes my skin crawl.

If a Pro Bowl CB isn't worth a 2, then tell me who is Carl? Eddie Freeman. THIS is exactly the reason that our defense sucks shit. Because we have a retard who would rather draft an unproven CB at 2 rather than give up a 2 for Surtain.

I know a lot of this is fluff, but I still can't stand Carl. When you have a glaring weakness for 4 years, you would think that Carl would have some urgency to find the missing link. Stop screwing around and just pay the Dolphins.

Kclee
04-02-2005, 09:35 AM
He always sounds like that.

I never really get to hear him since I'm up here in SD, but yeah, on Sirius they always have GM's or coaches and such on and they sound like good guys and pretty much cool. Carl just sounded like a dick. Fugger. He better not f*ck up this surtain deal.

blackhawk
04-02-2005, 10:03 AM
dick will be gone next year i say pick up law for one year deal. let gun pick the corner in this years draft.screw miami no way you give up a #2

KILLER_CLOWN
04-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Carl is NOT going to say it's a done deal cuz he's holding out for that 4th round pick. Shrewd yes, stupid no. Carl is playing the fins' like a cheap harp and knows they MUST either dump him for nothing or take a pick(the 4th). I repeat The Fins MUST get rid of cap space and if they don't do it soon they are in trouble. I can see carl's logic here and you guys will be ecstactic and praising carl if he gets surtain for peanuts.

Bowser
04-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Carl is NOT going to say it's a done deal cuz he's holding out for that 4th round pick. Shrewd yes, stupid no. Carl is playing the fins' like a cheap harp and knows they MUST either dump him for nothing or take a pick(the 4th). I repeat The Fins MUST get rid of cap space and if they don't do it soon they are in trouble. I can see carl's logic here and you guys will be ecstactic and praising carl if he gets surtain for peanuts.

That's all good and well until a team like the Chargers, who have two first round picks, steps up and offers their second rounder. I'm not sure what their cap situation is, but you get what I'm saying.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-02-2005, 10:14 AM
That's all good and well until a team like the Chargers, who have two first round picks, steps up and offers their second rounder. I'm not sure what their cap situation is, but you get what I'm saying.

All am saying is that Carl will lowball until it doesn't work, now if he won't budge on the 2nd afterall I will be pissed off too, but let him work his shrewd magic because in the end i would rather keep our 2nd and give that 4th so carl can screw up the 2nd round pick again(deja vu)

The Bad Guy
04-02-2005, 11:26 AM
dick will be gone next year i say pick up law for one year deal. let gun pick the corner in this years draft.screw miami no way you give up a #2
I don't know what's funnier..

You thinking Ty Law will sign a one-year deal or the #2 being more valuable than a 3-time Pro Bowler at corner who is only 29.

Yeah, take the chance on the 31-year old with a bad injury over the sure thing.:rolleyes:

Brilliant analysis.

The last time Gun picked a corner in the draft we ended up with Bartee.