PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFLE Report

Wilson8
04-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Not usually all that interested in NFL Europe, but this year I will try to follow what is happening with Eric Crouch, John Booth, Rich Scanlon, Demetrious Walker, and Joe Hall. Scanlon and Hall can both develop and maybe contribute to the Chiefs next season. Crouch and Booth are both QBs trying to learn new positions, so they might be practice squad possibles.

NFLE games start tomorrow, April 2nd.

A list of Chiefs players, the positions they are playing, and their status for starting.

# 23 Eric Crouch – starting at FS for the Hamburg Sea Devils – they play at Cologne.

#81 John Booth – starting at WR for Amsterdam Admirals – they play the Rhein Fire.

#23 Scott Cannot – starting at SS for Amsterdam Admirals.

#21 Jonathan (McKenzie) Smith – backup RB and starting KR for Amsterdam Admirals.
Smith is behind RB Jarrett Peyton on the depth chart.

#57 Rich Scanlon – starting at MLB for Berlin Thunder – they play Frankfurt Galaxy.

#22 Willie Ford (former Chief) – starting at RCB for Berlin Thunder.

#46 Joe Hall – starting at FB for Rhein Fire.

#91 Eddie Freeman (former Chief) – starting at LDT for Rhein Fire.

#92 Demetrious Walker – starting at RDE for Rhein Fire.

#81 Jeris McIntyre – backup at WR for Rhein Fire.

#72 Matt Miller – backup at at RG for Rhein Fire.

#25 Chazz Moore – backup at FS for Rhein Fire.

#60 Aaron Johnson – starting at ORT for Frankfurt Galaxy.

#10 Ed Canonico – starting at FS for Cologne Centurions.

It does not look like QB Casey Clausen made it. He was assigned to the Cologne Centurions. He no longer shows up on their roster and Kevin Thompson and Chris Lewis are listed as the top two QBs for them.

Woodrow Call
04-01-2005, 11:35 PM
I read an interesting article on Walker a couple of weeks ago. I hope he does well. I believe Clausen is on his teams practice squad. Being on a NFLE practice squad tells me about all I need to know about Clausen.

Wilson8
04-01-2005, 11:42 PM
I had some hopes for Clausen given his play at Tennessee, but I think he is done.

Phobia
04-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Being on a NFLE practice squad tells me about all I need to know about Clausen.

Well, that's roughly indicator #89. The first thing you needed to know about Clausen was that my daughter throws a football about as well.

Woodrow Call
04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, that's roughly indicator #89. The first thing you needed to know about Clausen was that my daughter throws a football about as well.

ROFL My bad

Wilson8
04-01-2005, 11:57 PM
All three of this weekend's contests will take place on Saturday, April 2, with two of them available for viewing on television in the United States.

The Frankfurt Galaxy and Berlin Thunder will get the season started with a scheduled 10:00 a.m. (CT) kickoff, featured live on DirecTV. The NFL Network will have live coverage of the Rhein Fire's trip to Holland to play the Amsterdam Admirals, with an 11:00 a.m. (CT) start time.

The first ever game for NFL Europe's newest team, the Hamburg Sea Devils, will not be aired in the U.S., as the Sea Devils visit 2004's addition to the league, the Cologne Centurions.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2005/04/01/2/

Woodrow Call
04-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Here is the Walker article.

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/RHE/8320136

Demetrios Walker hopes his NFL Europe season becomes an extended career with KC. (waynepaulo.com)
“One of my defensive line coaches always told me during my rookie year that the NFL is the longest job interview. You are always interviewing, everyday, every practice, and every game. It is the world’s longest job interview.”

Demetrios Walker began his interview process for the Rhein Fire with the Kansas City Chiefs, auditioning his untapped potential for the team as an unheralded 23-year-old rookie out of Middle Tennessee State in 2004. His aggressive play on the gridiron and heartening character off the field were qualities that attracted Chiefs veteran head coach Dick Vermeil, who chose to send the rising defensive end to NFL Europe to gain experience and showcase his talent on a competitive level.

When Fire coaches examined tapes of prospective players in the search process for the 2005 season, the staff liked what they saw in Walker as a young defensive player. As a result, the team chose to make him their first round selection in the 2005 NFL Allocated Player Draft.

These events have been the major stepping-stones in Demetrios Walker’s ongoing interview with the Fire. After three weeks of training camp, the 6-2, 261 pound defensive end has provided the team with everything they have desired in their young defensive prospect. Walker has displayed excellent instincts in both practices and team scrimmages, consistently pressuring the offensive line and hurrying opposing quarterbacks.

His adjustment to playing with the Fire has been eased by sharing a locker room with a number of current and former teammates. Walker is one of six allocated Chiefs players making the trip overseas to play for the Rhein Fire in 2005. During his time spent in Kansas City, he competed alongside Rhein defensive tackle Eddie Freeman, as the two were young lineman looking to make solid impressions in the league. Walker also joins present Fire players Jeris McIntyre, Chazz Moore, and Joe Hall, and Matt Miller as Rhein Fire players representing the Chiefs organization. After spending the 2004 preseason with the Chiefs, Demetrios was signed by the Dallas Desperados of the AFL where he was first acquainted with current teammate Cedric Bonner.

The Kansas City Chiefs organization, which allocated Walker and 12 other players to compete in NFL Europe, are one of the biggest supporters of the NFL Europe league’s ability to be a developmental tool for potential players. Realizing that his hometown team is providing him with a second chance, Demetrios is looking to fulfill the Chiefs’ interests in him by making the most out of his opportunity to play overseas.

“I am very thankful for the Kansas City Chiefs organization for giving me a chance. Coach Vermeil and Carl Peterson are very observant, and won’t just allocate any player. Those guys allocate the players that they really think have a chance or a player that they believe in. I really appreciate them taking the chance and the time to allocate me.”

Growing up in Kansas City, Missouri, Demetrios Walker was a talented five-sport athlete. He competed in an array of athletics, ranging from track to basketball to swimming. Entering his senior year, Demetrios decided to pick up the game of football, where he quickly became a playmaker earning All-State honors. Having only one season of experience and hailing from Missouri, a state not typically known for producing NFL stars, made things very challenging for him during his quest to draw interest from big-time college programs.

“Not too many players come out of Missouri to play football. They recruit down south a lot more than they do in Missouri and it is very rare for a guy from Missouri to make it into the league. I am very thankful to be able to play at the professional level.”

After high school, Demetrios took his education and talents to Fort Scott Community College. As a first-year junior college player, he totaled 10 sacks and 42 tackles. Demetrios only spent one season competing at the junior college level before choosing to transfer to Middle Tennessee State. During his time as a Blue Raider, he evolved from a special teams player to a defensive leader, earning Second-Team All-Sun Belt Conference Honors as a senior.

After a successful collegiate campaign, the Kansas City Chiefs perceived that he could be a future talent and decided to sign him to an undrafted free agent contract after the 2004 NFL Draft. Walker was among a handful of Chief rookies striving for a spot on the team’s roster during training camp. Competing in front of a large hometown crowd during his first preseason game was an unforgettable moment for the first-year player.

“I was in awe. I grew up watching them all my life, so I was very thankful when it happened because it was definitely a blessing. You have to come to work everyday, especially with a coach like Dick Vermeil who was one of the ones that believed in me.”

The Chiefs decided to release Walker at the conclusion of the team’s 2004 training camp as a result of heavy competition at the defensive end position. After his release from the Chiefs, he signed on with the Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football League and spent a short time competing indoors. When the 2004 NFL season came to a conclusion, the Chiefs decided to give him a second chance by allocating him to NFL Europe. Now as a member of the Fire, Walker has been thriving against competition of relatively equal talent. He play has been notable as a member of the Fire defensive line, which has been stingy against the run and aggressive versus the pass in team scrimmages.

While many of his fellow Fire teammates look to sightsee and experience different cultures throughout their stay in Europe, Demetrios has established one goal for himself while he is in Dusseldorf.

“Everybody has the ambition to go to the World Bowl and win it all, so that is my main goal for going over to Europe. That is my priority because I want to get something for going all the way to Europe.”

However, he wouldn’t mind checking out the surrounding scenery while he is there.

“I am really thankful to have the opportunity to see other parts of the world that I have never been to. This is the first time I will be able to see the rest of the world, so I am ready to go.”

For the time being, Walker feels good about his surroundings, coaches, fellow teammates, and most importantly himself as a member of the Fire. This is imperative, for self-satisfaction and a healthy working environment are two of the most important elements in the interview process.

“NFL Europe has been a good experience. I have learned more and have taken a lot of repetitions which results in gained experience. I feel I am getting better but still I have to keep getting better. The main thing when playing in NFL Europe and the NFL is to maintain consistency. The whole NFL Europe experience has been good and I am very thankful for the opportunity.”

If Demetrios keeps working hard and maintaining the aggressive play his coaches can expect to see, he may soon be the Chiefs’ next Dante Hall, auditioning his talents for the Pro Bowl.

Wilson8
04-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Good article