PDA

View Full Version : FINs Sign CB Mario Edwards

Wilson8
04-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Might be one more step in Patrick Surtain trade to Chiefs.

CB Edwards signs one-year deal with Dolphins

By Alex Marvez
Staff Writer
Posted April 2 2005
With cornerback Patrick Surtain being heavily pursued by Kansas City, the Dolphins acquired a potential replacement Friday by signing free agent Mario Edwards.

Agent Peter Schaffer said Edwards, a five-year NFL veteran from Florida State, signed a one-year contract. Schaffer declined to reveal financial terms.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins02apr02,0,3684245.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Frazod
04-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Excellent! :thumb:

Wilson8
04-02-2005, 12:14 AM
"[Dolphins coach] Nick [Saban] was looking to add a large press corner," Schaffer said. "Mario hopes he has the opportunity to find a home here for the rest of his career. It seems to be a perfect match."

The 6-0, 199-pound Edwards played in 15 games, including three starts, for Tampa Bay in 2004 after spending the previous four seasons with Dallas. Edwards, 29, visited the Dolphins in early March on the first day of the free-agent signing period.

The Dolphins and Chiefs are discussing a trade involving Surtain, who two sources said has reached an agreement in principle on a new contract with Kansas City if a deal can be finalized.

If Surtain is traded, Edwards will likely compete with Reggie Howard and Will Poole for a starting position opposite Sam Madison.

philfree
04-02-2005, 12:18 AM
OOoooh interesting.........If that's not Tell Tale Sign.......they're gonna cause me to eat one of my hats if they don't ge this done pretty soon.

PhilFree :arrow:

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Might be one more step in Patrick Surtain trade to Chiefs.

Al Davis EEEEExxxxxcellent...

Woodrow Call
04-02-2005, 12:19 AM
To bad the Chiefs passed on Will Poole. :harumph:

Good sign though.

irishjayhawk
04-02-2005, 12:22 AM
It all seems to be going to easy............perhaps a set up. :P

melbar
04-02-2005, 12:28 AM
please dont trade the second and 4th , please dont trade the second and 4th

Wilson8
04-02-2005, 12:40 AM
I think that Miami just wants KCs 2nd round pick.

I was reading an article that said one of the big hold ups in the KC/St. Louis Trent Green for a 1st round pick was the Chiefs wanted to get back a lower round pick from St. Louis. If Carl is trying to do that, it creates a problem because Miami only has 5 total draft picks.

VanDolPhan
04-02-2005, 12:45 AM
To bad the Chiefs passed on Will Poole. :harumph:

Good sign though.

Yup Will Poole was a great find for us in the 4th round. We think he will be challenging Howard this year for that starters job when Surtain gets traded.

As for Edwards he won't challenge. At best he'll be the dime back after the trade.

Woodrow Call
04-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Well what do you think VanDolPhan this thing going to get done :hmmm:

HolmeZz
04-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Poole was going in the 1st round of alot of mocks at the end of the college season. Shame he fell as far as he did without us jumping on him.

melbar
04-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I think that Miami just wants KCs 2nd round pick.

I was reading an article that said one of the big hold ups in the KC/St. Louis Trent Green for a 1st round pick was the Chiefs wanted to get back a lower round pick from St. Louis. If Carl is trying to do that, it creates a problem because Miami only has 5 total draft picks.

Nope! Saban wants a 2nd and a 4th or 5th according to an article at Warpaint .

J Diddy
04-02-2005, 01:01 AM

I say give it up. What are the odds of him picking freaking studs with those picks, not to mention don't we have an assload of those anyway?

I say pay a 2nd and a 4th for a probowl corner and put bartee to pasture.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:02 AM
put bartee to pasture.

NO! Just put him back at safety where he belongs... let him duke it out with Woods, Wesley, and Harts.

J Diddy
04-02-2005, 01:05 AM
NO! Just put him back at safety where he belongs... let him duke it out with Woods, Wesley, and Harts.

The man has no cover skills what so ever, the second he gets in man to man with a 3rd or 4th WR he's toast again. I'm not an nfl offensive coordinator but If I saw him in the game I would be looking for that matchup all day long.

Woodrow Call
04-02-2005, 01:06 AM
please dont trade the second and 4th , please dont trade the second and 4th

Hell I would would have given up a 1st for Surtain and I am surprised that a 2nd or possibly a 4th can get him. Giving up the 2nd and the 4th is a bargin.

Wilson8
04-02-2005, 01:06 AM
I think sometimes they do some of this negotiating and drawing it out just to keep getting little news stories on web sites and sports news. Do you think that maybe they already have most of the stuff worked out? They just want to keep the story in the fans minds.

It wears me out though. After a while I just have to turn it all off and figure some how things will work out.

J Diddy
04-02-2005, 01:10 AM
I think sometimes they do some of this negotiating and drawing it out just to keep getting little news stories on web sites and sports news. Do you think that maybe they already have most of the stuff worked out? They just want to keep the story in the fans minds.

It wears me out though. After a while I just have to turn it all off and figure some how things will work out.

Optimism.

Pass it on.
:thumb:

Wilson8
04-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Well here is some optimism for you... Surtain won't have to pay any of the KC players to get his number 23 jersey. Maybe that was worth a $15,000 discount on his $$$$$ contract that they have worked out.

redshirt32
04-02-2005, 01:39 AM
You would think the phins would want this deal with Surtain done before the draft. They are not going to pay him the big $ he can get this year or next. We will have to wait and see who gives in, CP with 11 picks and no CB, or Mami with only 5 picks. I think both teams will figure out a way to get this done soon.

htismaqe
04-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Hell I would would have given up a 1st for Surtain and I am surprised that a 2nd or possibly a 4th can get him. Giving up the 2nd and the 4th is a bargin.

That's why you're not an NFL GM.

Do you often walk into the car dealership, look at a car with a "$29,995" sticker on the windshield, and then tell the salesman "I'll give you 35 thousand for that right now!"

Gaz
04-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Since I am now officially a passenger on the Surtain bandwagon, this signing pleases me.

No, REALLY.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy camper.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2005, 10:02 AM

warpaint doesn't know jack

irishjayhawk
04-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Since I am now officially a passenger on the Surtain bandwagon, this signing pleases me.

No, REALLY.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy camper.

What makes you apart of it now as opposed to earlier?

Gaz
04-02-2005, 10:22 AM
What makes you apart of it now as opposed to earlier?

Because it is going to happen. There is no doubt in my mind. Therefore, I accept it. I deliberately choose to dwell on the positive aspects, rather than weep and moan about the negatives.

xoxo~
Gaz
Newly-minted Surtain fan.

irishjayhawk
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Because it is going to happen. There is no doubt in my mind. Therefore, I accept it. I deliberately choose to dwell on the positive aspects, rather than weep and moan about the negatives.

xoxo~
Gaz

Just curious, what do you think the top 3 pros and cons are for him?

Gaz
04-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Just curious, what do you think the top 3 pros and cons are for him?

PRO:
1. Very good Cornerback [McCleon].
2. Very good Cornerback .
3. Very good Cornerback [Battle].

[b]CON:
1. Cap hit.
2. Draft picks.
3. NFL PI rules might negate his ability.

I know some folks are worried about Surtain’s knees, but most of what I read indicates that his knees are not a major problem. And, as with Green, Roaf, Holmes, Rolle and Bell, I trust the Chiefs medical staff to conduct their investigation.

xoxo~
Gaz
Embracing a Red & Gold Surtain.

philfree
04-02-2005, 10:34 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

If it's gonna happen I wish the hell they'ed get it done so they could get on with the rest of their business.

carlos3652
04-02-2005, 10:42 AM
If it's gonna happen I wish the hell they'ed get it done so they could get on with the rest of their business.

They will have to wait until Draft day until this is done, They can converse prior to the draft and I think they will trade down in the first, and in the second, get 4 1st day picks out of it and give 1 to Miami and package a 1 or 2 picks for day 2. (depending if its a 2nd or 3rd round pick on day one) So instead of having just 3 1st day picks and no Surtain, we will have 4 picks on Day 1 + Surtain...

Hope this works out.... We (as fans) have to be patient...

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 10:42 AM
If it's gonna happen I wish the hell they'ed get it done so they could get on with the rest of their business.Ah, they don't need to be in a hurry. I'd say you want them to get done so you can get on with your business.

carlos3652
04-02-2005, 10:47 AM
They will have to wait until Draft day until this is done, They can converse prior to the draft and I think they will trade down in the first, and in the second, get 4 1st day picks out of it and give 1 to Miami and package a 1 or 2 picks for day 2. (depending if its a 2nd or 3rd round pick on day one) So instead of having just 3 1st day picks and no Surtain, we will have 4 picks on Day 1 + Surtain...

Adding to what I said above, those 4 first day picks will be low 1st, middle/low second (depending on what we give Miami), low 3rd round, Comp pick 3rd round.

We will draft CB - Marlin Jackson in the 1st
We will draft DE/DT/OL/WR/CB in the 2nd/3rd/Comp pick

philfree
04-02-2005, 11:00 AM

Yeah I know there's a good chance it won't be until day one of the draft that we get it done. I'm tired of being patient though and it would be better if we could find away to get it done before then IMO. IMO we should trade the 2nd pick and get Surtain then when our pick rolls around at #15 we can make a decision about trading down to acquire another 1st day pick or just making a pick. I wouldn't want to be looking at a dream 1st rounder knowing that I gotta trade down to get a pick to trade for Surtain. What if Rolle or is still available or even D. Johnson? Carlos Rogers will probably be there. Suddenly we are in a position to make a tough choice. We need to make the deal now and then if the player/s we want are no longer available try and trade down and cover the traded pick.

PhilFree:arrow:

Gaz
04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
A good CB will be available in the draft when we pick. It may not be Rolle or Rodgers, but there will be a good CB.

Johnson will not be available anywhere close to #15.

The Chiefs are doing exactly the right thing with Surtain, just as they did with Green.

xoxo~
Gaz
Kinda bummed about Johnson.

philfree
04-02-2005, 11:09 AM
A good CB will be available in the draft when we pick. It may not be Rolle or Rodgers, but there will be a good CB.

Johnson will not be available anywhere close to #15.

The Chiefs are doing exactly the right thing with Surtain, just as they did with Green.

xoxo~
Gaz
Kinda bummed about Johnson.

Chances are Johnson won't be there be it ain't a fact. A few trades happen and the whole thing changes. Or the Vikes don't get their pick in on time and all hell breaks loose.

PhilFree:arrow:

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2005, 12:24 PM
A first and our 4th or I hate to say it a pick from next year, would probally be enought to move up to get Johnson. Tennessee or Detroit possible trade partners.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:27 PM
A first and our 4th or I hate to say it a pick from next year, would probally be enought to move up to get Johnson. Tennessee or Detroit possible trade partners.It would take a lot more than a fourth to swap up 9 spots to #6 with Tennessee, and I'd assume that wouldn't be enough to move up 5 either, to Detroit's #10.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2005, 12:29 PM
It would take a lot more than a fourth to swap up 9 spots to #6 with Tennessee, and I'd assume that wouldn't be enough to move up 5 either, to Detroit's #10.

Whoops replace "or" with "and" on my original post.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that makes a little more sense.

Hydrae
04-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I read in this weeks SI that the only pick they have in the first 69 is the #2 pick in the draft. That is why they are so anxious to get a 1st day pick in the trade.

Woodrow Call
04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I read in this weeks SI that the only pick they have in the first 69 is the #2 pick in the draft. That is why they are so anxious to get a 1st day pick in the trade.

That is why I don't think this trade is going to happen. They need a 2nd round pick badly and Surtain is the way they have to acquire it. I am sure closer to the draft a team like the Colts will be willing to give up a 3rd for him. I think Saben is just as determined to get a 2nd as Carl is to keep his. Carl is going to have to blink on this one. The Dolphins know that Law is the only other option out there for KC and they hold the cards.

Is their anyone on the Chiefs that could net them a 3rd to trade? Wesley, Woods, Sims, Welbourne, anyone?

Sure-Oz
04-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Worst comes to worst trade that #2 pic!

philfree
04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
There still isn't anything about Ewards signing on Espn.com or NFL.com.

VanDolPhan
04-02-2005, 01:58 PM

So you'd rather spend a 1st on an unknown quantity who would have a signing bonus somewhere around $6 million then a 2nd for a top 5 shutdown CB. Yah the phins thought they would have someone to replace Madison a couple years ago and were all happy picking up Fletcher in the first. Complete and total bust.

Anyways I think the deal will get done on the eve of the draft unless some other team jumps in before completion. It'll probably be a 2nd and a 5th.

Gaz
04-02-2005, 02:12 PM
VanDolPhan-

That post was in response to philfree’s post #33. I did not quote philfree since my post fell immediately behind his.

Look at in that context and I think it will make more sense to you.

xoxo~
Gaz
Light on the quote button.

TRR
04-02-2005, 03:01 PM
We have three 5th round draft picks. One is ours (the one that can be traded) and two compensatory picks if I am not mistaken. I would defintitely give up a 2nd and a 5th for Patrick Surtain.

FWIW, I watched our former 2nd round pick Eddie Freeman play in NFLE today...of course allocated by another team.