PDA

View Full Version : Sin City

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Sin city any one seen it yet Tomoorw is my nephew Brithday And he really wants to go see it is it worth seeing ?

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Sin city any one seen it yet Tomoorw is my nephew Brithday And he really wants to go see it is it worth seeing ?
How old is your nephew? I understand it's pretty gory and very violent.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Is 14 to young ?

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:48 AM
Is 14 to young ?
Probably, from what I understand. I read a review that described how it begins, with a cop about to shoot a child molester's nuts off. He looks at the girl and tells her to cover her eyes, she doesn't need to see this. The reviewer indicated that paralleled the idea that this film was going to start off bad and get worse, and some people should cover their eyes.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Probably, from what I understand. I read a review that described how it begins, with a cop about to shoot a child molester's nuts off. He looks at the girl and tells her to cover her eyes, she doesn't need to see this. The reviewer indicated that paralleled the idea that this film was going to start off bad and get worse, and some people should cover their eyes.

Dammit im going to be the Worst uncle in the world When i tell him he is to young to see it.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Dammit im going to be the Worst uncle in the world When i tell him he is to young to see it.
You might wait to do that until you hear from someone who has seen it... I'm just passing along what I've been told.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 01:56 AM
IMO - if you don't take him, he'll just see it over at his friend's house. Better to see it with an uncle.

But, then I'm not a big believer in sheltering teenagers. My theory is that if you deny the person the ability to do something, it makes them want to do it that much more. At least, that's what happened in my formative years.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 02:06 AM
IMO - if you don't take him, he'll just see it over at his friend's house. Better to see it with an uncle.

But, then I'm not a big believer in sheltering teenagers. My theory is that if you deny the person the ability to do something, it makes them want to do it that much more. At least, that's what happened in my formative years.

i use to do the same Crap when i was a kid But if him and his freinds goes and see it they will get in Trouble and not me.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 02:08 AM

I tend to agree with you, but there are ages that it seems more okay to let them see something... for instance, a 14 year old is NOT ready to see the violence in The Passion. It's just too disturbing. Now I don't believe in sheltering kids, but that doesn't mean you have to place them in the environment (like taking them to the movie).

beer bacon
04-02-2005, 02:09 AM
It has some boobage too.

From what I have heard, it just managed to slip under the NC-17 rating. The reason it didn't get the NC-17 was because of the movie is in black and white.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 02:11 AM
It has some boobage too.

From what I have heard, it just managed to slip under the NC-17 rating. The reason it didn't get the NC-17 was because of the movie is in black and white.
Sweet.... boobage. Mmmmmm.

mcan
04-02-2005, 02:16 AM
I would say it depends on the 14 year old. They would only be too young if they are predisposed to violent behavior. Seeing violence isn't really all that big of a deal (in my opinion). What is bad is when a kid sees something and then tries it out.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 02:19 AM
It has some boobage too.

Its not like nothing he has never seen before liveing in a house with his 2 Teen age sisters and 1 teen age 2nd cousin its no wonder all his freinds want to Stay the night at his house

Fairplay
04-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Its not like nothing he has never seen before liveing in a house with his 2 Teen age sisters and 1 teen age 2nd cousin its no wonder all his freinds want to Stay the night at his house

Proper grammer is overated.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 05:18 AM

sorry i was tierd and just jabbing everything together. I get lazy when im tierd

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Apparently, so is spelling. "Overated" should be spelled with two R's.

Rausch
04-02-2005, 06:55 AM

And it's undervalued...

Ari Chi3fs
04-02-2005, 08:34 AM

and its GRAMMAR. fools.

I hope to see Jessica Albas funbags. That is worth the price of admission for me.

Cochise
04-02-2005, 08:42 AM
I used to read the comic books when I was younger, and they are pretty dark and violent usually. The books were always great though, and I would expect no different from the movie.

He's the same guy that brought the Daredevil books back in the 70s and 80s, I guess the title was in trouble and they were thinking about ending its run or something.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:46 AM
I hope to see Jessica Albas funbags. That is worth the price of admission for me.Ain't gonna happen.

I saw it yesterday. You see her assless chap semi-covered ass for about a tenth of a second, and that's it. The nudity's all in the first third of the film, Jamie King and Carla Gugino.

And it's violent. I don't know enough about the 14-year old in question to say yea or nay. Some kids can probably handle it, some can't, but there's lots of blood (although not much of it is red), lots of severed and shot-off apendages and plenty of other downright gruesome stuff.

whoman69
04-02-2005, 09:33 AM
I was channel surfing yesterday when they showed a blurb at the bottom of the screen which asked, "Is Sin City so bad that its good." Doesn't sound reassuring.

KCWolfman
04-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Looks just like a pulp comic from the late 50s early 60s. I will definitely be checking it out tonight.

KCWolfman
04-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Grammar was spelled wrong as well.

Bowser
04-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Saw it last night. Great flick, but VERY violent. Plan on watching it again.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I was channel surfing yesterday when they showed a blurb at the bottom of the screen which asked, "Is Sin City so bad that its good." Doesn't sound reassuring.I didn't think it was bad in any way.

irishjayhawk
04-02-2005, 10:25 AM
It has some boobage too.

Yeah, if it was in color it wouldn't have gotten R.

Very good, very strange and very violent (but i like it that way)

Raiderhader
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I was very pumped to see this movie last night, even though I had no idea as to what to expect. I think I am going to have to see it again to decide if I like it or not. A very dark and violent film (which I like), but a little weird. It has been growing on me through out this morning, but I still think I am going to need another viewing to decide.

Prince22
04-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I have not seen this movie but it seems like 14 years old would be OK. I'm assuming your nephew is a freshman in high school. When I was in the fourth grade my older brother let me watch "Boy N the Hood" and "Juice" back to back and I turned out OK.

Except for that one drive-by we pulled. :hmmm:

Psyko Tek
04-02-2005, 11:16 AM

you're an uncle, take him out show him a "bad" movie, get him drunk and laid
take him home with a case of crabs....

that's what relatives are for :thumb:

Bowser
04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I have not seen this movie but it seems like 14 years old would be OK. I'm assuming your nephew is a freshman in high school. When I was in the fourth grade my older brother let me watch "Boy N the Hood" and "Juice" back to back and I turned out OK.

Except for that one drive-by we pulled. :hmmm:

I don't think anyone got their dick blown off, or got their face planted in an unflushed toilet in Boyz n the Hood. Heh.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't think anyone got their dick blown off.Not to mention ripped off. That scene made me grimace.

Bowser
04-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Not to mention ripped off. That scene made me grimace.

I just happened to look up and down the aisle when that happened, and every male was in the quasi-fetal position.

Hercules Rockefell
04-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Not to mention ripped off. That scene made me grimace.

That part was not cool.

Valiant
04-02-2005, 12:35 PM
For what the movie was for, it was a great flick... Followed the comic nicely... Your nephew should be fine to see it... Not sure if he can handle the suicide scene though...

Sure-Oz
04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
i really need to see this movie tonight or tomorrow looks badass!

Tribal Warfare
04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Mickey Rourke kicked serious ass in this movie. It could revive his career. I wonder if Alba had clause in her contract that she wouldn't do nudity or they filmed it, and just waiting to reep the rewards when the unrated DVD comes out?

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 03:44 PM
"You know, nudity was an option," Alba says. "We could have done it if we wanted to. Obviously, it would have been more authentic. But I felt dancing around with a lasso and chaps was going to be sexy enough. I think being nude would have been distracting and I really couldn't be bottomless. My dad! He would freak out."Personally I thought it detracted from the film a little. I think if she'd have been naked when he found her, it would've been more poignant.

Not to mention hot spank material.

Prince22
04-02-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't think anyone got their dick blown off, or got their face planted in an unflushed toilet in Boyz n the Hood. Heh.

True, True - But lets not ruin it for me. I'm going to see it tomm.

elvomito
04-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Is 14 to young ?
my uncle took me to see HEAT when I was around 14. I turned out ok (arguably)

elvomito
04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
however, i do have an odd fascination with firearms.
i think its related

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Fantastic film... it's Rodriguez's "Pulp Fiction." seriously great film. Very violent, but not very gruesome as many have suggested. All the gore is handled in such a stylized manner it's not even like gore.

Wrasse
04-02-2005, 10:49 PM
It's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

jAZ
04-02-2005, 11:22 PM
There is some really sick shit in this movie. I would NOT recommend it for faint hearted, easily offended or kids.

At 14, it's a tough call... but let's put it this way... I wouldn't want my 14 year old to see it, but I don't know if I would actively try to stop them.

jAZ
04-02-2005, 11:25 PM
All the gore is handled in such a stylized manner it's not even like gore.
In a sense, that's why I thought it was so unsettling for me. If there is any movie that I might agree with all those who harp on movie violence and how it can be desencitizing... this would be it. It made live-action violence seem almost like cartoon violence.

Pretty disturbing movie effect, IMO.

KCWolfman
04-02-2005, 11:33 PM
We just got back and I loved it. My wife hated it. My 15 year old daughter thought it was great.

It captured the pulp comics of the 50s and 60s to a "t". The Mickey Rourke story was great, and the dialogue was straight from a Mickey Spillane novel.

"Go kill him, kill him real good."

Digital Takawira
04-03-2005, 07:37 AM
It's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

:thumb:

miho was f'ing destructive.

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
:thumb:

miho was f'ing destructive.
I thought for sure they would destroy the moment by having her speak a single word - I was glad I was wrong.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only complaint I have, I would have ended the film with the last Bruce Willis shot (pun intended). I would not have drug it on another 3 or 4 minutes with the whore meeting the hitman dressed as a doc.

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, but I understand why they did it. I thought the beginning was great, it set the tone for the film perfectly, I though. But if you cut out the end, you have to cut that part out, too...

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, but I understand why they did it. I thought the beginning was great, it set the tone for the film perfectly, I though. But if you cut out the end, you have to cut that part out, too...
That's true, it did tie altogether, didn't it?

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM
It did seem anti-climactic, though, I agree with that. It was sort of an annoying postscript. I was nearly on my feet after Bruce Willis, thinking the film was over, and there was the character I probably liked the least (although Hartigan's partner was close, because Madsen was so bad, in terms of acting) in the film ditzing her way through the hospital. It was too sweet an ending almost. They needed to show her fate, and they alluded to it. Which didn't really fit the graphic nature of the rest of the film, or the opening scene for that matter.

But I nitpick...

Fire Me Boy!
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Highlight if you want to see this.

Having her meet the doctor bookended the film. It began and ended with that character. I didn't find it annoying at all, but rather that the beginning AND ending were perfect.

END SPOILER!

In the future, guys... change the color of your post for spoilers, that way people CAN'T see them unless they want to.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Freaking excellent, dug the way they followed Miller's artwork. One of the most visually memorable movies I've seen in a long time. Not just looking at all that lovely near-nekkid womanflesh and all that mayhem, but seeing the scenes from the books recreated over and over.

When this one comes out on DVD I might have to buy a bigger TV. It's that good.

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 08:32 PM

Highlight if you want to see this.

Having her meet the doctor bookended the film. It began and ended with that character. I didn't find it annoying at all, but rather that the beginning AND ending were perfect.

END SPOILER!

In the future, guys... change the color of your post for spoilers, that way people CAN'T see them unless they want to.
Stylish. I will remember this method. Very cool

tk13
04-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Stylish. I will remember this method. Very cool
On the forums for the website "Television Without Pity", they have a "spoiler" tag where you can just do something like ... and it'll make the text black with a black background so you have to highlight it to read it. Pretty cool idea, more websites should incorporate that idea..

the Talking Can
04-03-2005, 08:54 PM
everything about the first part with Rourke is perfect...the dialog is great and his hulking figure sells what would otherwise be corny-ass lines....that was truly something new on the silver screen

BigOlChiefsfan
04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Ain't It Cool News liked it:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=19700

P.S. TWoP rocks. Some snarky beyotchs over there, ain't they?

Prince22
04-04-2005, 12:23 AM
I just got back from the theatre. I loved this freakin movie, absolutley brilliant. A lot of the girls comming out of the movie didn't like it. My girlfriend however said it was awesome. I'll go back again sometime this week to see it again.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 12:53 AM
On the forums for the website "Television Without Pity", they have a "spoiler" tag where you can just do something like ... and it'll make the text black with a black background so you have to highlight it to read it. Pretty cool idea, more websites should incorporate that idea..

It would take me about 30 seconds to code that, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment and there's a naked woman in my bed. Remind me about this later.

tk13
04-04-2005, 12:55 AM
It would take me about 30 seconds to code that, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment and there's a naked woman in my bed. Remind me about this later.
There's a naked woman in your bed.

Oh, you meant.. the other... yeah...

Fire Me Boy!
04-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Then WHY are you on CP? Priorities, man... priorities. :shake:

Baby Lee
04-04-2005, 08:29 AM
P.S. TWoP rocks. Some snarky beyotchs over there, ain't they?
They have some great creativity with the language over there. I love seeing what they'll come up with next.

ex.

anvilicious - taking delight in heavy plot developments hanging over the heads of the characters.

foobs - fake boobs.

Mrs. LandingGod - Kathryn Joosten, formerly portraying the sainted Mrs. Landingham on The West Wing, now playing one of God's avatars on Joan of Arcadia.

Clench and Mensch - the hardware store run by Sol Star [Mensch, because he's Jewish and a salt of the earth character] and Seth Bullock [Clench, because he's portrayed as having a perpetual stick up his arse].

There are tons more.