PDA

View Full Version : For Star Wars fans...

DJay23
04-02-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned on the planet yet, but the novel for Episode III is out TODAY!

I will be getting mine as soon as the local Walden's opens at 10. :thumb:

Braincase
04-02-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm going to ruin it for you and tell you that Annakin goes over to the dark side at the end.

DJay23
04-02-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm going to ruin it for you and tell you that Annakin goes over to the dark side at the end.
You son of a bitch! :p

KCFalcon59
04-02-2005, 08:04 AM

ROFLROFLROFL

Deberg_1990
04-02-2005, 02:13 PM

all the Jedi's get killed except Obi-Wan and Yoda and the Dark Side ends up winning.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 02:24 PM
all rdy got mine.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Already know most of what's going to happen, of course, but I still think I'd rather wait for the film, then fill in the blanks later with the book if I feel like it. I've heard there's stuff in the books for 1 and 2 that were cut out (scenes shortened, I mean) that would've made them more bearable, but I didn't read them.

Uncle_Ted
04-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Already know most of what's going to happen, of course, but I still think I'd rather wait for the film, then fill in the blanks later with the book if I feel like it. I've heard there's stuff in the books for 1 and 2 that were cut out (scenes shortened, I mean) that would've made them more bearable, but I didn't read them.

Me too ... because books are typically much more detailed than the movies, if I read the book first, when I end up watching the movie I'm invariably disappointed that certain elements I liked in the book aren't in the movie.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Yeah, that's the same reason I'm waiting until May to read The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I guess I rarely enjoy a film adaptation more than the book it was taken from, so I always see the film first, so I can judge it on its own merit. Plus I do like being surprised. And I'm under the impression that there are a couple of surprises in the film. After totally spoiling everything in 1 and 2 before going in, I decided to try spoiler-free this time.

DJay23
04-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I've read the first 6 chapters already (I won't spoil anything). One thing about books; they DRAAAAAG. I'm sure those 6 chapters will cover about 20 minutes in the movie, or like was said, not be in the movie at all.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I remember that Terry Brooks and R.A. Salvatore wrote the previous two, names I recognized at the time, both were kind of 'guilty pleasure' authors for me at one time. I'm not familiar with the latest (Matthew Woodring Stover), but it looks like he's written some SW novels previously. Let me know how it is, in terms of how interesting it is as a book.

DJay23
04-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I remember that Terry Brooks and R.A. Salvatore wrote the previous two, names I recognized at the time, both were kind of 'guilty pleasure' authors for me at one time. I'm not familiar with the latest (Matthew Woodring Stover), but it looks like he's written some SW novels previously. Let me know how it is, in terms of how interesting it is as a book.
I can tell you so far that it's not as good as the previous two, IMO at least. Is way too repetitive. Uses a lot of "Star Wars" analogies. Almost like you have to read some of the books that fall between episode 2 and 3 to get some of them. Almost like the "...strong enough to pull the ears off a Gandar" reference in ESB. It gets exhausting reading about all of these unfamiliar places and people, when you're not entirely sure who or where or what they are.

It's also a different style. Character development doesn't come in the form of flashbacks or personal rhuminations as much as straight forward telling you what everyone is about. It's different, direct. Not sure if I necessarily like it. I'd rather learn the character through his/her actions, thoughts, etc. I'll keep reading it though. I'm interested in finding out what finally pushes Anakin over.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 04:47 PM
all the Jedi's get killed except Obi-Wan and Yoda and the Dark Side ends up winning.But Anakin IS the chosen one, and he restores balance to the force by EVENTUALLY throwing the Dark Lord Sidios over the side of the reactor core into a hail of that purple lightning shit.

DJay23
04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Just finished reading the book. All I can say is WOW! If the movie is half as good as the book, it may rival Empire Strikes Back as the best in the saga.