PDA

View Full Version : Will the next Pope come from the Benedictines?

Fat Elvis
04-02-2005, 04:45 PM
According to St. Malachy, the next pope will be a benedictine. He is also supposed to lead the Church during the beginning of the tribulation. According to Malachy's prophecy, there will be only two popes after JP2.

What do you folks think?

Brando
04-02-2005, 04:48 PM
That was supposedly the third thing that Mary told the children at Fatima. We'll see I suppose!

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 04:51 PM
It'll be interesting to watch, as an outsider. I don't believe in prophesy, or predestination of any kind, but those who do can and are influential enough can certainly take action to turn "destiny" into reality. Or to prevent it.

Brando
04-02-2005, 04:51 PM
It'll be interesting to watch, as an outsider. I don't believe in prophesy, or predestination of any kind, but those who do can and are influential enough can certainly take action to turn "destiny" into reality. Or to prevent it.
Right on the head dude!

Mr. Laz
04-02-2005, 04:53 PM
i just wonder what excuse they are gonna bring out when these prophecies don't come true?

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 04:55 PM
I think Father Andrew Wingate (http://www.trumpetersmission.com/), Trumpeter of the End Times, is probably a little disappointed, in the prophetic sense:During his 3/16/05 appearance on Coast, Father Andrew Wingate shared prophetic visions regarding Pope John Paul II. On that show, Wingate predicted the Pope will be cured of a serious illness.

Despite the recent reports coming from the Vatican of the Pope's failing health, Wingate believes the Pope's death is not imminent. During the first hour of Friday's show, he said the Pope would be cured by a group of mystics who will travel to Rome and become important figures in the church. If the Pope does pass away, however, Wingate said he would "have to reevaluate many things." Must be nice to be able to...reevaluate your own prophetic visions.

He's a favorite of mine; he at one time predicted the firey doom of Kansas City. In an earthquake I think. I don't know if he's...reevaluated that vision yet or not.

Brando
04-02-2005, 04:57 PM
i just wonder what excuse they are gonna bring out when these prophecies don't come true?
I don't want to get into a really religious discussion and offend people, but I saw a great show the other night that talked about the Virgin Mary being a story adapted from stories of Zeus knocking up mortal women.
I think there's some higher power, and all in all that religion is good for people. There's just a lot to ponder.

Ultra Peanut
04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
I think Father Andrew Wingate (http://www.trumpetersmission.com/), Trumpeter of the End Times, is probably a little disappointed, in the prophetic sense:Must be nice to be able to...reevaluate your own prophetic visions.

He's a favorite of mine; he at one time predicted the firey doom of Kansas City. In an earthquake I think. I don't know if he's...reevaluated that vision yet or not.Maybe he meant, "the Fire will fall to the Earthquakes in MLS Cup the year before Kansas City plays in it?"

Mr. Laz
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't want to get into a really religious discussion and offend people, but I saw a great show the other night that talked about the Virgin Mary being a story adapted from stories of Zeus knocking up mortal women.
I think there's some higher power, and all in all that religion is good for people. There's just a lot to ponder.
spirituality is one thing ... organized religious prophecy stuff is another.

organized religion is flawed, because it has people running it ... and people ARE flawed.

my opinion anyway

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
spirituality is one thing ... thing organized religious prophecy stuff is another.

organized religion is flawed, because it has people running it ... and people ARE flawed.

my opinion anywayLaz, I want you to remember something important, my friend. I don't know what's jaded you towards religion, but I think it's important for you to hear this.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Maybe he meant, "the Fire will fall to the Earthquakes in MLS Cup the year before Kansas City plays in it?"No, I think he was deeply and profoundly jacked up from that movie, "The Day After ", which was set in the K.C. area.

Ultra Peanut
04-02-2005, 05:07 PM
No, I think he was deeply and profoundly jacked up from that movie, "The Day After ", which was set in the K.C. area.Can you blame him?

Traumatic.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Laz, I want you to remember something important, my friend. I don't know what's jaded you towards religion, but I think it's important for you to hear this.

gee thanks, i feel so much better now!!! ROFL ROFL

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I loved that movie. But now when I watch it the acting scares me more than the mushroom clouds.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 05:08 PM
gee thanks, i feel so much better now!!! Hey, glad I could help!

Serving my fellow man and all that bullshit...

JimNasium
04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I don't know anything about the next Catholic Pope but I certain that the next Pope of Chiefsplanet will be a dumbass.

Rausch
04-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't remember who it was but some Saint from way back when was supposed to have correctly predicted all the popes to present date, and only had like 2 more after JPII.

I'm not a big believer in all this stuff but if'n anyone knows the saint I'm talking about or has a link I'd like ta look at it...

Bowser
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't remember who it was but some Saint from way back when was supposed to have correctly predicted all the popes to present date, and only had like 2 more after JPII.

I'm not a big believer in all this stuff but if'n anyone knows the saint I'm talking about or has a link I'd like ta look at it...

As long as the end date for the second pope is not December 23, 2012, I won't worry........

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
As long as the end date for the second pope is not December 23, 2012, I won't worry........That's the date the aliens invade. Didn't you watch the X-Files finale? It was disclosure, man, full disclosure.

Bowser
04-02-2005, 09:02 PM
That's the date the aliens invade. Didn't you watch the X-Files finale? It was disclosure, man, full disclosure.

I remember somebody getting thrown through a rock cliff, and to watch out for bees. I knew I should have paid more attention. I'm more concerned about getting to the second Stargate in Antartica, at the moment.

Rausch
04-02-2005, 09:05 PM
As long as the end date for the second pope is not December 23, 2012, I won't worry........

Ah, I found this:

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

The most famous and best known prophecies about the popes are those attributed to St. Malachy. In 1139 he went to Rome to give an account of the affairs of his diocese to the pope, Innocent II, who promised him two palliums for the metropolitan Sees of Armagh and Cashel. While at Rome, he received (according to the Abbé Cucherat) the strange vision of the future wherein was unfolded before his mind the long list of illustrious pontiffs who were to rule the Church until the end of time. The same author tells us that St. Malachy gave his manuscript to Innocent II to console him in the midst of his tribulations, and that the document remained unknown in the Roman Archives until its discovery in 1590 (Cucherat, "Proph. de la succession des papes", ch. xv). They were first published by Arnold de Wyon, and ever since there has been much discussion as to whether they are genuine predictions of St. Malachy or forgeries. The silence of 400 years on the part of so many learned authors who had written about the popes, and the silence of St. Bernard especially, who wrote the "Life of St. Malachy", is a strong argument against their authenticity, but it is not conclusive if we adopt Cucherat's theory that they were hidden in the Archives during those 400 years.

The last of these prophecies concerns the end of the world and is as follows: "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End." It has been noticed concerning Petrus Romanus, who according to St. Malachy's list is to be the last pope, that the prophecy does not say that no popes will intervene between him and his predecessor designated Gloria olivoe. It merely says that he is to be the last, so that we may suppose as many popes as we please before "Peter the Roman". Cornelius a Lapide refers to this prophecy in his commentary "On the Gospel of St. John" (C. xvi) and "On the Apocalypse" (cc. xvii-xx), and he endeavours to calculate according to it the remaining years of time.

htismaqe
04-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Ah, I found this:

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

So basically we're looking for an Italian pope named Peter. That's the last pope.

And why would the Holy Roman Church be persecuted, unless the Muslims have taken over the civilized world?

:hmmm:

Fat Elvis
04-02-2005, 09:30 PM

Read the starter post for this thread. It was St. Malachy.

Ebolapox
04-03-2005, 02:00 PM
eh, I'm pretty ambivalent on the subject of prophesy, but I bought a book at barnes/noble on st. malachy's prophecies... very intriguing... and I think the next pope will be black ;)

-EB-...the GZA for pope :p

Thig Lyfe
04-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Nobody knows when the Second Coming will happen, so there's no point in prophesizing (not a word) it.

Ebolapox
04-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I AM THE SECOND COMING!!!

-Lebron James-

keg in kc
04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I went back on streamlink and caught the February 28th show with John Hogue about Papal prophesy. Pretty cool show.

Logical
04-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Read the starter post for this thread. It was St. Malachy.

OK I am curious how did he predict all the Popes? By name, by origin of birth? That is remarkable even if it was simply country of birth.

Boozer
04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
OK I am curious how did he predict all the Popes? By name, by origin of birth? That is remarkable even if it was simply country of birth.

Sure, picking Italy all those times in a row was a no-brainer, but Rzeczpospolita Polska? Even I'm impressed.

Logical
04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Sure, picking Italy all those times in a row was a no-brainer, but Rzeczpospolita Polska? Even I'm impressed.First LOL, second not being a Catholic historian, was John Paul II the only Pope not from Italy/Roman Empire?

Boozer
04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
First LOL, second not being a Catholic historian, was John Paul II the only Pope not from Italy/Roman Empire?

I think he's the first non-Italian in over 400 years...I'll check wikipedia and get back to you.

EDIT* yep, 455 years or so.

Rausch
04-04-2005, 08:56 PM
So basically we're looking for an Italian pope named Peter. That's the last pope.

And why would the Holy Roman Church be persecuted, unless the Muslims have taken over the civilized world?

:hmmm:

Uh, because of all the the touchy feely?...

ENDelt260
04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
I found this explanation helpful.

Interpretation of the mottos has generally relied on finding correspondences between the mottos and the popes' birthplaces, their personal arms, and the events of their pontificates. For example, the first motto, Ex castro Tiberis (From a castle on the Tiber), fits Pope Celestine II's birthplace in Citta di Castello, on the Tiber. Pope Clement XIII, whose used a rose as his personal emblem, is called in the prophecy Rosa Umbriae, the rose of Umbria.

In recent times, some interpreters of prophetic literature have drawn attention to the prophecies, both because of their success in finding correspondences between the prophecies and recent popes, and because of the prophecies' imminent conclusion. Pope Paul VI, who reigned from 1963 - 1978, is described in the prophecies as Flos florum (flower of flowers). His personal arms bore three fleurs-de-lis. However, this disregards all the other papal arms that had flowers on them as well. His successor, Pope John Paul I, corresponds to the prophetic motto De medietate Lunae (Of the half-moon). He was elected on August 26, 1978, the day after the moon reached its last quarter (Note: the moon at this point was waning, it was not a half moon), and reigned for just over one calendar month (33 days... where a lunar cycle is 28 days). At the death of Pope John Paul I, it was the day before the new moon. The last reigning pontiff, Pope John Paul II, was born on May 18, 1920, the day of a solar eclipse. His prophetic motto is De labore Solis (Of the labor of the sun). Other interpretations allude the darker weather of Poland or the pain that the Pope ("the Sun") suffered in his assassination attempt. The geninue vagness of this prophecy is good evidence to suggest that no real meaning exists in this phrase, and that True Believers are simply searching for an interpretation.

Following John Paul II, only two popes remain in the prophecy. The next motto is Gloria Olivae, the glory of the olive. This motto has led to speculation that the next pontiff will be from the Order of Saint Benedict or will at least choose Benedict as his papal name. Alternatively, less specific interpreters have predicted that the next pope will promote world peace. The self-proclaimed Pope Clemente Domínguez y Gómez of the Palmarian Catholic Church claimed that he was the glory of the olive.

The longest and final motto reads, "In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oues in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis ciuitas septicollis diruetur, & Iudex tremêdus iudicabit populum suum. Finis." (Amidst external persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep in many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed, and the terrible Judge will judge his people. The End.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

I'd never even heard of this before today.

Logical
04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
I found this explanation helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

I'd never even heard of this before today.Truly interesting.

Terrible judge?

Delano
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Truly interesting.

Terrible judge?

Other translations are "formidable judge", not terrible.

Manila-Chief
04-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I don't know anything about the next Catholic Pope but I certain that the next Pope of Chiefsplanet will be a dumbass.

Now, Jim, you need to be careful with your prophecy.

You know that according to the Old Testament there is only one way to determine if a prophecy is true or not .... simply ... if it comes into being or not.

But, here is the kicker ... you do know the penalty for a false prophet don’t you? A false prophet is to be stoned to death!!!

So, if the next Chiefsplanet pope is in any way smart .................

ENDelt260
04-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm pretty sure Jim is safe.

C-Mac
04-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Prophecy, Smophecy.
It's interesting that the Catholic bible has a specific last book called Revelation(means to reveal) concerning future events, like our times, but it is widley disregarded by the church......as are many other books of the bible.
In Revelation it does mention that the "one sitting upon the seven hills" will be destroyed, even though it doesnt symbolize just Vatican City, it is ironic that it does literaly sit on the 7 hills of Rome.