PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on this comment?

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 01:21 PM
My computer room is just off the gameroom so here I sit forced to listen to the Nascar announcers as the mrs is engrossed in her race.

Anyhow,the comment is made by one that there is,"155,000 people at the race today,twice as many that attended the Superbowl in Februay."

Now,I've had numerous disscussions with the mrs on this kind of talk.My take is that IF the Superbowl had a seating capacity of 200,000 it would sell-out as well.I've also expressed my opinion that having been to numerous sports bars I rarely see groups of Nascar fans gathered together to watch the race as I do football fans during the season.

Another topic came up a few weeks ago when my sis-in-law and I had a disagreement that Nascar drivers are some of the top athletes there are which was also a comment I heard from an announcer.

Personally,I don't care for Nascar and I realize the announcers will say what they think and what will satisfy their viewers.

Any opinions on this subject?

Rain Man
04-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Football and car racing should not be discussed in the same paragraph. And car racing gets a bigger crowd only because there are more yokels in the world than there are football fans.

Tell your wife for me that she's a yokel.

jspchief
04-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Here's my take.

How many fans would be in attendance if all 32 NFL teams played in the same stadium at the same time?

Let Nascar hang on their 200k+ crowds, they will never be the NFL.

2bikemike
04-03-2005, 01:52 PM
While I like NASCAR and follow it quite a bit. I am just not as crazy about it as I am football. They do get quite a few folks packing the stands. So it is extremely popular.

The reason IMHO that it is so popular is because damn near everybody drives a car. I never watched any golf on TV until I started playing golf. Not that I watch a lot of golf but I will watch from time to time.
I played basketball, football and baseball in my youth and that got me interested in those sports.

As far as Race car drivers being athletes that can be debated a lot of different ways. These guys get in these cars and have remarkable concentration to go around and around in a damn circle and try to hit the same spot every time they enter and exit a corner. It can be pretty freaking hot as well. So they have to have some endurance.

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Neckcar's popular. The NFL's popular. I don't see a reason to be contentious about it. Live and let live.

You know, in fact, I've been to a couple races. It was actually a lot of fun. It's watching on TV I don't get.

Der Flöprer
04-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Here's my take.

How many fans would be in attendance if all 32 NFL teams played in the same stadium at the same time?

Let Nascar hang on their 200k+ crowds, they will never be the NFL.

Can't argue with logic. Combine that with the fact that the NFL probably does more merchandise sells by 10x and the TV deals, football has definately become Americas game.

DJay23
04-03-2005, 01:54 PM
As far as race car drivers being some of the greatest athletes in the world, I have to laugh, but I will submit that it requires quite a bit of stamina, not only physically, but mentally. Not to mention that the threat of death is greater for a race car driver than it is for any other "athlete."

PastorMikH
04-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm currious as to how much a person would pay for such a nascar race ticket as opposed to a Superbowl ticket. I'm guessing it would be a tad cheaper for a redneck to fill the back of his truck with kin and take them to a race than it would be to take them to the Superbowl.

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Neckcar's popular. The NFL's popular. I don't see a reason to be contentious about it. Live and let live.

When you live with a yokel(as kevin put it)who has two sister yokels and you've made it perfectly clear you DO NOT LIKE IT yet they think they can convince you how great it is,it's a bit hard not be contentious.

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 02:04 PM
When you live with a yokel(as kevin put it)who has two sister yokels and you've made it perfectly clear you DO NOT LIKE IT yet they think they can convince you how great it is,it's a bit hard not be contentious.Hey man, you picked her... ROFL

That reminds me, though, to add "not a nascar fan" to my list of requirements for my next girlfriend. Thanks for that.

PastorMikH
04-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Probably something else to consider...

To be fair, we probably need to compare a regular week in mid-racing season to a regular week in the middle of football season. Now, add together all the fans at all the Nascar racetracks hosting races for a given sunday and add up all the fans at football statiums hosting NFL games for the given sunday and then compare.

Nothing wrong with racing mind you, but they aren't ready to be compared to the NFL yet.

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey man, you picked her... ROFL

That reminds me, though, to add "not a nascar fan" to my list of requirements for my next girlfriend. Thanks for that.

Yeah,but that was 19 years ago when she never even thought of mentioning racing and I was a football fanatic.She's only become a Nascar fan in the last 5 years,and now it has become as much an obsession with her as football is to me.

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm currious as to how much a person would pay for such a nascar race ticket as opposed to a Superbowl ticket. I'm guessing it would be a tad cheaper for a redneck to fill the back of his truck with kin and take them to a race than it would be to take them to the Superbowl.

As I recall the mrs has a season ticket to Kansas Speedway for $275 which includes a truck race,an IRL,a busch race and a nextel cup race.

Bob Dole
04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
An NFL <b>preseason</b> game in a foreign country draw more than 100k every year.

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 02:23 PM
An NFL <b>preseason</b> game in a foreign country draw more than 100k every year.

Exactly the reason Nascar just had a busch race in Mexico City and the people came out in droves as if they were going to the indy 500.

Bob Dole
04-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Exactly the reason Nascar just had a busch race in Mexico City and the people came out in droves as if they were going to the indy 500.

Shows how much Bob Dole pays attention to Nascar...

None.

chiefs4me
04-03-2005, 02:28 PM

ah yes....those were the days, coolers full of beer, radio blaring, bbq, suntanning on top of the truck while watching a race......I wanna be young again.:deevee: